for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Kwala... bummer!  rest, take it easy and you will "be back"!!  Can feel like a lifetime though can't it? 

Trig.. Bummer too!  fingers crossed for you..

40 mins easy on the treadmill for me today.  Would have liked to go outside finally as a lot of the snow has melted, but hubby on a night out last night and had a lie in this morning so decided to do the treadie while the tiddlers played about and my 3 year old son ran alongside me on the rug in the conservatoryimage.... it is just a matter of adapting!!!

• Hi guys ,not had chance to read back on what everyones up to,need to come on here more to keep up.

Kwala sorry things have been so crappy for you,hoping you better soon and back with it.

Strange one,like the way you adapt to having the kids around,I have to lock myself in garage cos all they do is nag me to have a go.lol.

All Snow has now gone so had no excuse not to run today,exept that hubby was working,he managed to get home early and so just before it got dark managed a mile,not much but its up a good hill and managed it in 9.16 so well chuffed,just need to build up again but slowly this time,just been reading about a guy who only took up running in his 80's so theres hope for the old girl yet.

Nice to see you popping in LMS cant believce the time has gone so quick.

Hi to everyone else,hope everyone is ok.

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Hey guys !

hang in there Kwala, your'll be back in no time ! image

Trigger - sorry you didn't get your ballot place ......

Strangeone - its hard with kids isn't it ?! I have 3 and hubbie works shifts so I have to run when I can .... I brought a 'running calender' and worked out all my runs upto VLM, so I could do long runs when Hubbie is off, hench my long runs are always on different days, but they get done !

Well done on your hill climb Ecky, good going up a hill !

9 miles for me this morning and I managed to run the whole lot without walking and that is something I haven't done on my LR for a while ! Have finally decieded I am running the VLM for Help For Heroes, and have started my justgiving page - will update you all soon - and it really helped thinking of all those soldiers that wished they could run, but no longer can ! puts in all in perspective !

Ive got Longleat 10k in 3 weeks and that has massive hills in ! I curse the whole time I go round it, but it cant be so bad as this is the 4th time Ive done it !

Happy running x

• Hi All,

I am a very new runner; inspired by my Dad who ran the NY Marathon in Nov.  I went along to support him and BANG, I want to do it this year  myself.

Had a great start all thru November and managed to get up to6 miles in just over an hour - I felt like I was an Olympic Athelete!!

However, December went abit pear shaped what with late nights at work and parties galore and then a knee injury picked up from playig very silly party games on Boxing Day!! Then came the snow!! I was sooo  happy to see it all gone on Thursday and planned to start back this weekend.  Now have a chest infectiona nd am wheezy and coughing just walking around the house!! Feel like I will never get back to running.

My Dad is very encouraging and has just been round to tell me he has signed us up for a 5 mile event at the end of Feb and I have been on here looking for a half marathon in April; think I have settled on the Stratford one.

So.. heres hoping next week will bring better health and a  great start to my trainging.

Happy Running All

xx

• Hi GP and welcome to the thread image
    Sorry to hear you've been ill, I've had a start to the year similar to yours (but I've never been able to run 6 miles - let alone in just over an hour!!)
    Take it easy coming back once you're over that chest infection.
    Good that you have your dad to support and encourage you image
    Hope you feel better and are back in training soon.

Hey Albs, your VLM training seems well under way. Fab charity btw, let us have the link to the JG page.

LMS, only 7 weeks to go did you say? That's come round fast - make sure you take some time out for yourself over the next few weeks, cos they will just fly by!

Ecky - good news getting your story in the paper, it's all good publicity for your cause - lets hope it gives the fundraising a boost image and good to hear you got back out there. I also like the thought of the 80 year old guy starting out - hope for me in my mid 40s then!

Soz you didn't get your GNR place Trig, fingers crossed for the main ballot

Soz if I missed anyone, but so much to keep up with, must drop in more often Hope everyone ok and happy running all image
  • Hi all

Welcome GP. Sorry to hear you and Kwala aren't so well, but you both sound like you're itching to get out there, as opposed to using illness as a convenient excuse not to run

Hey to everyone else!

Weather was mild and quite sunnny here today - went out and did 4.65 mile run to the outlaws for sunday lunch.

Have done over 15 miles in the past week, which I don't think is a PB but is certainly the most I've done in the last year - need to keep slowly upping it - really enjoying it at the mo though!image

• Hi folks, hope you're all well.

Sorry to hear about your injury & illness Kwala. I'm sure you're not fully back to square one. You have a base level of fitness that will still be there. Take it easy though and make sure you're drinking enough etc. I had that tummy upset just before Christmas. Really nasty!!

Well done on your LSR Albs and good choice on the charity selection too. I decided to run for the VLM official charity, CLIC Sargent. Need to finish off my JG page first though.

Welcome to the thread GP. Make sure you get better from that cough before you take to the streets though!!

Nice running FT and well done on your week's mileage too. Back on form image

I had a 5M race today (got a PB) and then had a slow run home (6M) afterwards to complete my week's LSR. Race was fantastic and the last 2 miles I was averaging <8 min miles. Couldn't believe it when I got home and looked at my splits. Run home was nice because we took it at marathon training pace (10 min miles), so it felt much more comfortable. Tired legs tonight though, bless them image Week 2 of VLM training, DONE!!
  • Hi All,

Sorry to hear your ILL Kwala and GP,  I know just how your  feel been there...image

I went out yday my first real run in weeks I did try a couple while I was ill but they didn't help things. So don't rush to get out you will get back to normal just takes time ...image

Well I went  on a run and managed 6 half mile on Sunday  yipppe!!! Also was at the gym Saturday and ran 8 mile on tredi...image Found it hard but I managed it ... image

Back later

Happy running all

• Morning all and welcome GP - you'll find lots of support here.

Swimming for me on Saturday - first time in ages but managed 20 lengths.  Am suffering now though from such sore arms!  Am hoping to include that in the cross training that I'm doing for Brighton Mara so will hopefully build up from 20 slowly.  10 mile run yesterday and it was great to be back outside.  Was tough going though after all the treadie work but hopefully the weather has turned the corner now and all that horrible snow has gone!

Hope everyone is well.image

• You all sound so happy to be back out there now the snow's gone, hope to be joining you later in the week

well done for your swim trig - makes my arms ache just thinking about it (haha just did a brill typo, spotted it just before I hit submit - missed the m out of arms -think about it!!! hahahahaha)
  • Bit of a cold for me, and a slightly sore ankle image  Managed 45 mins on the exercise bike today but not running till I feel well! HM training on hold!

Great running everyone else.. weird though, generally run by myself and feel it is so long since I have been running outside I almost feel nervous of it??!  just need to get out there I guess.. as long as I feel better that is...

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Strangeone -  once you have gone back out there you will be fine ..... I'm a bit like that too ! take the time to get better tho' !

I'm not really one for swimming - I dont do swimming costumes, only when Im on holiday and noone knows me !

Good going Mo - glad to see you are feeling better

Gp - welcome and here's to the new year ! well done to your dad - I would like to do the NY mara !

Hi FT - your running has come on loads ! image

as requested by Kwala my link for my JG page ....

http://www.justgiving.com/LynetteBucklandH4H

My plan for this week is - 2 x 3 miles, 1 x 5 miles and 1 x 10 miles and a x-train day , starting with 3 miles tomorrow .....

Happy running all x

• LK - congrats on the PB!

Mo - sounds like a good weekend for you, glad you're back out there

Trigger - interesting that you found it tough outide after treadmill running. I've hear i ntheory treadmills are easier than outside, but outside there are lots of welcome distractions, and lots of nice fresh air. Having done 2 treadmill runs last week, my outdoor running seems to have kicked on a bit. It seems it's almost out of appreciation for just being able to get out there.

Kwala - fingers crossed for you later in the week

Strange one - I'm sure you'll be fine once you get out there

Albs - sounds like a good weeks running ahead - hope it all goes to plan

I had club night last night. Whoever thought up club nights on a Monday was genius - it really sets me up for the rest of the week - did 5.4 miles(image -the farthest I've run in over 2 years!) at 8:12 pace, and could happily have carried on - felt really good image

• Hi GP well done on running 6 miles in an hour,I think thats brill.Hope you feel bettes soon,you will be back in the swing before you know it.

FT well done on your runs,glad club nights are working for you.15 miles in a week is a lot more than I manage,maybe one day.

Albs and LK fab charity choices,I know from personal experience that Clic Sargent realy helped us out,they do such amazing work too.

Hi Mo well done on your runs too.

Strange one,you will soon be back out there.

Trigger well done on the swimming,I find that realy hard work.

Kwala hope you get out soon and ALBS good luck with your training runs,it must be so exiting.

Right now for little old me,still bit wary of the ankle and not been able to go to club yet,I was supposed to go tonight but taking kids to see Chipmunks instead,however just been out for a little plod and took it real easy,managed to run solid for 13 mins which is the most I have managed in ages since my trouble started so Im well pleased.I felt realy comfy too but didnt want to push too far just in case,still doing SW too so weight is coming off,lost 5lb last week so hoping that more will come off this week.

Hope everyone else is ok,sos if I missed anyone.x

• Hellooooooooooooooooo I'm back! It smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee image

Missed you all (well all of you i not caught up with on FB that is image).

Guess what?  I went for my first run in probably 2 or 3 months yesterday.  Still having physio (supposed to be doing exercises image) and I get my NEW all singing ALL dancing orthos next week.  Last pair well and truely scrapped!  If these dont work then i guess i'm on the scrap heap peeps.

Anyways...I did 2 miles.  It felt great.  No probs.  Hoping to go up to my lovely woods tomorrow and get down dirty with the Sisterhood image.  

Promise I'll try to stay and play much more often.

Hello to all the "regulars of old FANR" and hey...hi and welcome to all Newbies - look forward to meeting you all image

*Calls*  "CARDIOMO...CARDIOMO...where for art though sister?"  image  

• Weenyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    Good to see you back on here and running image

Well done on the weight loss Ecky, and good news on the running - you're doing the right thing building back up nice and slow

Off to bed now - reading Albs training plan for the week has worn me out
  • Hey guys, HEY WEENY!!!! image Just a quickie to check in and say hi image Will catch up over my porridge tomorrow morning as I'm about to drop dead from sheer tiredness at the mo!!!

7.3 miles for me tonight, including 4 x 400m & 1 x 800m sprints because we were doing speed reps at running club. I am DEAD!!

Back tomorrow xx

• Hi Kwala,yeh I think I tried to do too much too soon before so I did realy steady pace and will rest every other day to give myself chance to recover a bit,prob what I should have done before.

Lk wow that looks tiring to me,well done.

• Hello Kwala ((((((( HI))))))))  and Lostkat  image

Lostkat....... *showing off*  image  

• Actually Lostkat....i'm jealous and impressed.  Well done!  You have come such a long way from your Race for Life thingeee.

Although...I don't miss those effort sessions.  *groans at memory of*  but By God my body does *wears fat suit*

• Weeny I've left you a message on msn!! 

Sorry guys I'm not going to be on for a while ... I will be running now more than ever!!!

keep up the good work all

x

• Morning campers image

Sounds like you're going well at the moment, Mo! Are you training for anything in particular?

Well done on the run trigger. It's bound to feel hard after you've been on the dreadie. I'm the opposite. Beacause I've been running in the snow, my first run back on normal ground (which was Sunday's race) was an absolute breeze. It's really made a difference!!

Good to see things are still on track for you Albs. How's week 3 going so far?

Well done on the 5.4 miles FT image and glad that your plod was alright yesterday Ecky. You're doing the right thing taking it easy.

Good to see you back Weeny. Hope everything's feeling good this morning so you can go out and play in the woods image

(((Kwala))) How are you feeling now? Hope you've managed to get rid of the bug now and are feeling much better.

Still feeling shattered this morning image. I could quite happily go back to bed for the whole day!! Anyway, my plan for this week:
    Mon - Rest (tick)
    Tue - Speed reps 5M (tick 7.3M)
    Wed - XT Body Pump & Body Balance
    Thu - 3M Easy
    Fri - 8M before club, then 4-5M club run (LSR)
    Sat - REST REST REST
    Sun - 6M league race
  • Can we all stop with the exhausting training plans.

Mo - please find a minute now and then to let us know how you're getting on. Are you training for anything in particular?

LK - I think the lurgies have all finally left! Still have a bit of a cough hanging on from my new year flu though. I'm playing netball tonight so we shall see how the lungs are after 40 mins running around in the cold!
  • Mo ...missing you already sis image

Hi Kwala - are you still infectious???? Don't virtual breath on me please.  I had that "cough/cold/sinus - not quite flu but feel like crap for weeks" type bug before xmas and I'm still coughing like I smoke 60 woodbines a day image *coughs for effect so you can all see just how bad it's been*image.

Hi LK - I'm liking the training plan.  Go YOU!

I been up to the woods.  Got a 4.3 miler in - mud, wet, cold - FABULOUS!!! image  Was recalling where i was at last winter with training - was doing all those 15 mile XC - that seems a long way off now.  Me and of my winter training buds were recalling one of the runs we did at 7.30 one Saturday morning when the river was frozen solid.  The last stretch home was mile up hill cross country  and at the top we stopped to walk the last 1/2 mile as a warm down and I can remember the pain of that hill was similar to child birth image .....the pain of stopping was almost worse!

We've got one sister in the marathon this year and we are planning to help her round her 20 mile LSRs in the near future.  Route planned - it's just gotta be manned (or womaned in our case) with the sisters of the hood.  20 miles for us but in relays. Sorted.

Hi everyone else

• Hi all, Weeny bullied me and made ma come back!!

Too daunting to read back & catch up; I normally do, but cba this time. image

Waves to all the regulars and hi to all the new peeps since I've been away.

My running is slowly improving now I'm recovering from the ankle injury I picked up hill walking over Christmas.  Lots of rest, strapping, ultrasound and brufen seem to be working.  9 miles last sunday seemed ok, some more rest this week, perhaps 5 or 6 on sunday.  Did a cheeky 3 today round the park.

So hopefully, Sleaford HM & Kilomathon plan is back on.  Was touch n go for a while.

Hope you're all well and I'll try to keep up with the gossip.  Oh & some fab running going on with some impressive plans!

• ((((BURNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!)))) imageimageimage Glad you're recovering!!
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

good to see old faces on here, and that things are picking up nicely for everyone, but PLEASE remember to go careful ..... ! image

LSR for me tomorrow ... 10 miles, am getting up nice and early to try and get it in before the kids go to school

Weeny - wished  I had that support for my long runs - 10 miles I can do, but not looking forward to the 15 + miles on my own, but needs must !

HELLO, to everyone, keep running and smiling x

• Burnie image  *good boy* X

Look after that ankle....you ain't gettin' any younger image.  9 Miles AND slipping a cheeky one in too - get you image  When is your HM?

Hi Albs - Marathon training for you *I'm not worthy* In case you needed reminding there's 3 months, 4 days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 35 seconds til THE DAY!!   Mwahahahahah .

I'm going to watch if that's any help image  I can chuck you a lovely current bun at mile 13 and can wipe your tears away at mile 22??  

*sings "why am I always the bridesmaid...never the blushing bride.....* ...   NEXT YEAR image

• image Weeny and now Burnie - good job I was sitting down!!

Netball for me tonight - had to play Wing Defence so quite a bit of dashing around - wasn't too bad. Oh yes and we won which is always a bonus image
  • Kwala *high fives the Essex Sis*    I used to be centre!