for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Burnie...     March 14th is approaching image
  • We need new players Weeny (must do if they put me at WD!!!) Training is Thursdays in Gloucester Park BasVegas, come along!!!
  • BasVegas!!!! Would i need to be tooled up image

• Weeny - That's absolutely amazing what you're doing for your VLM sister image Like Albs, I'm not really looking forward to some of the long lonely runs. There are a few people from my running club doing VLM, but the only guy who's my speed struggles to do w/e training because of work/kids etc. Boooo!!! Some of my friends are coming to watch though, so I've told them I want them spaced out at mile intervals to keep me going image Are you going to keep remining us just how long we don't have until our respective races??? imageHehe. Can I sign up for the bun & wiping tears away services too please?

Hope the LSR goes well this morning Albs. Doing mine on Friday before running club on Friday because we've got a league race on Sunday. I much prefer running in the daylight. Pity that we're not going to get much of that during our training. If you get tired during your run, just imagine Weeny biting at your ankles to keep you going, lol image

Well done on your win Kwala. Hurrah!! I was always absolutely rubbish at netball.
  • Morning all!  You're an early bird LK or don't you sleep?image

Cross training for me last night, 3 miles tonight, 7 miles on Saturday and swimming on Sunday!  Brighton Mara is a week before London so even more reason to panicimage

• Hi LK...remind you when VLM is.....hell yeah image and am happy to re-take up my position as official FANR @rse kicker ..just say the word "@rse" and I'll be there image .  Soooo can none of your "support team join you in part on your LSRs of 18+ miles.  Surely they could do a mile or two here and there along the route...failing that on a bike.  Entice them in with promises of some of your culinary creations....bet they would be queuing image.   As far as the bun and tears service - course sister.  I can tell you where I set up camp every year and you can come get your bun,  and sister of the hood hugs.

Hi Triggs - Go you too.  Been following your schedule on FB!! Fabulous! Brighton is one of my most best-est places to play at weekends.  I may come try spot you in the crowd - YAY! 

• Alb, saw on FB you did your 10 miler, well done!

Weeny, you're right, I'm feeling like an old man.  I never had these aches & pains when I was laying on the sofa at 24st!  Am hoping 3rd time lucky for me with the VLM next year.  Sleaford Half is on 28 Feb, 2 weeks before the Kilomathon.  So will be treating it as the last LSR.

LK, how far are your LSRs at the moment?

Trigger, your training looks like it's going well too?  LSRs are up to?

Weeny, I shall be celebrating 14 March by doing the Kilomathon. image

Bodypump this morning, did more squats instead of lunges to give my ankle some protection.  No pain so far.  Probably rest now until Sunday's easy LSR.
  • Burnie - you naughty man....  is the competion of the Kilomathon the go ahead for the "prize" image  THAT is so dangling the carrot before the donkey image

Your weight loss has always been the most fabulous and amazing achievement Burnie!!!  AMAZING!!! image

And you know that i know that we know that you know and in fact everybody knows that you are in a better place than your 24st former self.

• Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You all still here?  Weeny kicked my ass and made me come back, but i dont feel guilty now cos skimming thru the posts, a few of you have been absent too (but came back after a Weeny kicking!) image

Just  a quicky to say i recovered after injury, got back (slowly) back on training for Stafford half marathon and trainin also for Full Marathon image doing Edinburgh Marathon in May so apologies for being away bt it's all busy busy and looks like you guys all are too.... yippee!!!!!

Anyway, catch up properly later - waves to you all image

xxx

• Cheetara!  You are an "angel" image    (like me *pretends* )

I didnt know you were doing Edinburgh?? Kept that a bit quiet didn't ya? image  Well I can't offer you buns and kleenex ......or can I ...????    *mind drifts off into imagining kilts and sporrans*  I'd love to shout ooot "Donald...where's your troooosers.?"  image

*Googles cost of flights to Edinburgggghh in May*

• Yey everybody has come back,hi Weeney Burnie and Cheetara,we have missed you all.

Hi everyone well my runs have still been every other day and only for a couple of miles but the ankle is good so still scared to push it too much,still walking lots inbetween,7 weeks to Kilomathon and so exited,Cams Story was on the E newsletter for it this week so was well chuffed,cant wait now,think Iggle Piggle need a bit of training too tho.lol

Hope everyone is ok,need to come on here more now to keep up.

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

heellloooo ! cheetara !

its like old times x

may get a *cheeky* 3 miler in tonight ?

LR went really well yesterday .....went out a bit later than I normally do and had breakfast first and I think that really made a difference, as I normally run on empty as I just get up and go before the kids get up, but think I may rethink that ?

Ecky - good to see you are getting out there ... I wanted to do the kilomathon but its a bit too far for me

hope everyone else is well ?

• "cheeky Cheeky cheeky"  said the 3 milers image  I got 3 in myself today and that is 3 WHOLE RUNS this week....feels like old times...you betcha!  image

Hiya Ecky.  How far is the "kilomathon" then?????

I plan to go out on Sadie this Sunday.  "she's sooooo beeeeaaaaautiful"   P.s. it's a bike NOT a person image

• Hi Weeny its 26.2 km which is 16.3 miles ish.
  • who said exercise is good for you.
    Twisted my ankle at netball training last night and can barely walk today image
    So no running for me for a little while again now
  • Oh no Kwala, thats just pants.image. Hpe it gets better soon,makes you wonder why we put ourselves thru this dont it.

• image  Oh no K.. bummer!  Me too feeling sorry for myself!!  Ran over 20 miles last week and as per usual for me (or so it seems to be going this way) over did it!!  Last run last Saturday, full of cold since, so peddling the exercise bike till last night... did 5 miles on the treadie.; every step felt like legs were lead, couldn't get into it at all and struggled through.  This morning my shin splints/ lower leg on my right etc really painful!  First run this week but obviously my over enthusiasm from last week catching up.  SOOOOO frustrating as fitness wise feel really fit, but 40 year old body rebelling!  Rest today and bike from now on till no more niggles!  HM in March looking ver doubtful image

Well done everyone else.. jealous of your plans, but pleased for you all too.  Will recover and get there,,

• Sorry to hear that Strange One image If it's any concelation, my 29 yr old body has achy knees at the moment. I'm not supposed to have achy knees at 29 damn it!!!

Kwala NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO image Rest rest rest!! Hope it gets better soon

albs - I've noticed a hell of a difference if I have breakfast first. It's annoying because I need it at least 3-4 hours before a run BUT it gives me much more va va voom. I used to just get up and go. 

Weeny - So good to hear you've managed 3 this week. No overdoing it though, you hear me?? image

I was supposed to do 9 before running club tonight followed by 5 at running club for my LSR. However, life got in the way and I didn't get home until 6pm image Managed to make it down the club for a slow 4.5 though. I'll do my 14 miles tomorrow morning after brekkie & a trip to the running shop for some socks (so exciting!!). Race on Sunday, but it'll be a recovery. Can't afford to go flat out and knacker my legs more.

• Thought I'd pop in

Wow your all back.....image

Well things are ok in my world! !!

LSR planed for tomorrow..image Should be 15 mile but not sure I'll manage that at the momentimage

Glad your all back image

Back later x

• Morning all!

Sorry to hear that you've hurt your ankle Kwala - thats a real nuisance.  Hope that you get the chance to rest up and will soon be back out there enjoying your running.

7 miles for me this morning.  Week 4 of marathon training done and only 12 weeks to go until Brightonimage  As an extra bonus I managed to lose 3lbs this week - only another 19 to go image

Take care everyone - hope you do your 15 mo.

• It's so frustrating isn't it StrangeOne, the mind is willing but the body is not having any of it!! You won't lose too much fitness if you keep up the cycling, just ease yourself back gently into the running when your legs feel ready for it.

Well done on the weight loss Trigger
  • Hey Mo. Hope you're alright. Let us know if you managed your 15 image

Nice one on the run and weight loss Trigger. I seem to be going the other way at the moment, but the OH squeezed me yesterday and said I felt thinner, so I'll go with what he says image

15 miles for me today. It was a lovely run and I'm very pleased with myself. Don't think my knees are too amused at having to run a league race tomorrow though. I've promised them that we're not trying for a PB image

• Weeny, hopefully we can afford steak!  You're right, I'm happier being 8.5st lighter & injured.

Cheetara, fantastic news that you're on the mend.  Good luck with the marathon training.

Weeny, wouldn't mind checking out those buns image

Ecky, good luck with Kilo training & hope your ankle holds up.

Alb, glad your LR went well with a full belly!  Hope you enjoyed your cheeky one.

Weeny, well done on the 3 runs.  Looks like things are on the up.  Mixing it up with the bike is a good idea too of course.

Kwala, sorry to hear about your ankle, that sux.  There's a few dodgy ankles at the mo, mine included.

StOne, take it easy, think we've all been guilty of that over training thing.  I know I have.

LK, hope todays 14 miler went well.  Are you using gels or drinks along the way?

Mo, hope tomorrow's 15 miler goes well.  Good luck/

Trig, well done on your loss!  Fantastic.

LK, ah it did then, well done on the 15 miles!  Take it easy racing tho.

Me, did BodyCombat yesterday for the first time since my ankle injury, made it a little sore, so no more of that for a while.  Can still do BodyPump & swimming, so that's good.  Easy 5 miles tomorrow, then it's back to building for the Sleaford Half & Kilomathon.

Take care all.
  • Will do Burnie, thanks image Yes I'm using gels and taking a bottle belt with me. Just one 1 gel on a long run at the moment, but I should crank it up to 2 really I suppose. I'm using Lucozade at the moment because I had some free samples, but want to try some others as well. It does make a difference. I'm glad I've started trying them out.

Sorry that Body Combat & your ankle didn't get on image Stil, hurrah for Pump!! Do you like the new one? I love it, apart from the abs track which I HATE. Take it easy with your 5k tomorrow image

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

imageKwala, sorry to hear that !

Weeny , enjoy your 'ride' on sadie ! image weather here is lovely this morning, hope its the same for you ? !

Strangeone - thats bad news .... hope it all picks up soon, so you can run your HM, take it easy

LK - good luck for race today and well done on your LR - mine aren't quite that long yet, 10 m this week, 12 next - what schedule are you following ? I have also noticed a few aches, but thats part of training I s'pose ? this is the most 'serious' training Ive done ! When did you start using gels ? I got some lucozade ones, thought I would try them next week .... what water belt you got?

Mo, hope your 15 miles went ok ...... ?

Trigger, well done on your run, and weight loss ... are you intentionally trying to lose weight, or is it just the training ?

Good to see things are getting back on track,Burnie even if you have to stop BC for a while ....

me ... I done 5 miles yesterday, will do another 3 tonight (OH working all weekend, hence the LR on thur)

My plan for next week is

2 x 3 miles, 1 x 5 miles and 1 x 12 miles

onwards and upwards !

• Good running this w/e Albs image Well done!!

Race went really well today. I decided to break my new trainers in and just keep a pace that I felt comfortable at. It worked image My knees hurt for a mile, but then they felt absolutely fine and I started to speed up. Ended up with a PB for 6 miles. Hurrah! Just under a minute faster than the same course which I ran on Boxing Day. imageimage Shin feels a bit tender, but knees feel better after the race than they did before. Still going apply frozen peas though, just to be sure.

I'm following a modified RW 16 weeks schedule. I didn't want to drop my mileage down, so I kept it stable for a couple of weeks and am now starting to take it up. I've also planned in all my races between now and then. I started using the gels last week. After the 5 mile race, I took a Lucozade gel on the 6 mile run home. Was much better than expected, but have 2 other brands to try out.

I've got a Nike bottle belt like this. It was the most comfortable one I tried on. Lots of padding around the hips. Have to wear it quite high on the waist because it bounces on my bum, but it's fine. Enough room for a gel, some lip salve and my phone. I would recommend you go into a running shop and try on a selection.Some of the ones which people had recommended were really uncomfortable when I tried them on.

• Wow LK - you are going from strength to strength. I would be inspired to go for a run right now if my ankle wasn't the size of an elephant's leg and varying shades of purple!! My hubby is off round my mum's later to pick up a crutch, so I can make it into work tomorrow - better point out that mum doesn't need it anymore, she still has it from a couple of years ago when she had her knee op
  • LK,  I'm ok thanks ...image Your doing(( GREAT GAL)))  Really pleased for you!! Keep up the good workimage

Kwala, Ahhhh Mrs take it easy on that ankle..image 

Trigger, imageimage Well done on wieght loss and running image

Albs, Your doing well image Hope you manage to do your next weeks plan ..image

Burnside, Hello))))  Sorry to hear your ankle is sore to!!image How did your 5mile go??

SOne, Keep your chin up,image hows the cold???

Weeny... weeny,  How is you sis???

WELLL  my run was going good untill 7 and a half mile, I slipped and hurt my knee and back..image Ihad to call my hubby to come and pick me up!!  I wiil see what  my knee   it's like in the morning as it's still swollen  image  On a happy note while in freezer getting the ice pack  a found a WHITE MAGNUM image 

Take care image

• oh no mo. Hope it's not serious,RICE away!!
  • Busted ankles.....shall we form a new thread "Busted ankle.com"   I'm picking my orthos up tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed my busted bits will become a thing of the past...or at least a less often busted thing image

But Kwala - your ankle sounds "colourful" image Fingers crossed..." Repair Quick!"

OMG OMG!!!!!!!! LK just read your run posts on FB!!! You are doing some fabulous running! Wow! Wow! Wow!  And..I must say you were looking pretty "fit" sister image If the scales are going up....the inches look like they are going down. Well done!!  (Wish I was still 29!!!!" image)

Burnie - great running and training mate! And yeah ....you can check out my buns whenever you like image

Mo! Mo! Mo!  Falling over..during your 15 miler sis?  You wanna take more water with it image.  Seriously though...what a gutter.  Be careful....you need to be careful at your age image

Thanks Albs - never did make the Sadie ride......got destracted image