Options

for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Options

Weeny, I have to say I was p*** offimage  You know the runs that feel good, breathing good, legs good , I  made my stride larger to go over a hole in tarmac .... My knee and fat ass took the brunt ! felt the jolt in my back though..image  Also felt like a plonker would happen on a main road imageimage

Yes my old age is not helping me heal fast enough... To be old!! ME & YOU SIS..image 

Wish I was 29 TOO.... I've forgot what it feels like ...image 

Thanks Albs - never did make the Sadie ride......got destracted image

O yes what you been up too?????image

• Options
    Awwww, thanks for the support guys. Really feel like I'm doing well at the moment and I'm loving my running. Probably won't be saying that in a few weeks time when I start my 18-20 milers, hehe. Fully expecting to start slowing down in races soon. Can't have the best of both worlds unfortunately. I'd love a sub-8 min mile race, but that can wait until later in the year... probably next year!! image

RICE RICE RICE Kwala. Don't move a muscle until it feels better (((((HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS)))))

Sorry to hear about your fall Mo image You did good by calling hubby rather than trying to run on it though. Maybe it was your subconsciousness telling you to eat that Magnum. Bit extreme though, hehehe.

Weeny Weeny Weeeeeeeeeeeny!! Bet you're excited about your new orthotics image Thank you for your lovely comment. The guys from the club posted a pic of me looking extremely attractive during today's race. However, I think I actually look a little bit slimmer AND I look like I'm proper belting along. Raaawr!!! image <<< that's me doing a tiger growl btw image

• Options

Mo!  ((Sis))  You know that i know that you know why I got destracted image.  It was a perfectly acceptable destraction image.  Glad it's not just ME that does total public humiliation on my slip ups and @rse falling episodes.  You were very sensible my friend.....I would have limped on muttering *ha...meant to do that* image

LK - I was referring to said FB photo posting - you looked like you was "shhhmmoking sister" .

Got my orthos.  Got them in the shoes as we speak!!! Yay! And wow they are really different from my last pair - hardly detectable.  But i have got sensible head on.  Easy easy easy does it in the adjustment period.  Can still run without them whilst we are getting used to each other image.  YES YES...I CAN be sensible sometimes...... I work in a school after all image

Took Sadie out in the rain this morning "YIKES...white knuckle ride"

• Options

Morning all!

Kwala your ankle injury sounds awful - crutches tooimage

Sorry to hear that you've been in the wars too Mo - be careful.

Albion I'm deliberately trying to lose weight - another 19lbs to go!  I'm not "overweight" according to any statistics but just heavier than I want to be and the clothes don't fit so well at the moment.image

• Options

Hi everyone, This is my first post on any running forum!image

I'm 24 and I've 'dabbled' a bit in running for the last few years as its a great cheap way to keep fit (I'm in my 7th year of being a student so cost is everything!) but just started a subscription to runner's world towards the end of last year as really want to try and improve my fitness and performance (and also lose some weightimage!).

I don't want to use the excuse of having no time cos I know that does every runners head in but I'm coming up to medical school finals so have lots to do. I want to keep up regular running so I've been trying to get up early at 6 and go running to start the day so it doesn't interfere with work but I'm feeling a bit hungry and hypo by then and never feel like I run as well as I do later on when I've had breakfast and end up feeling a bit rubbish about it all.

Does anyone have any ideas about how best to fit running in?

Thank-you!

• Options

Welcome KMc,  I'm not the best one for advice.. I've tried a couple of different things though, A hand full of nuts they seem to work for me image I think Weeny will have some ideas  image

I run better at night though, Everyone is different don't let it get you down ...image just try different times and you can and find what works for you!!

Back later

• Options
    Welcome to the thread Katy image
    Not much advice from me either as when i can run I tend to run at night, mornings very much a no-no for me!
    I'm sure someone else will be along with some useful advice soon image
  • Options

helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - sorry i've lost posts again and cant keep up, had problems with Pc and got annoyed so switched it off in a huff and now i've missed all your posts - but all i can see from skimming through them is injuries - No! image

I'm going to be good and keep posting though otherwise Weeny is gonna come after my sorry ass (and i aint fast enough yet!!)

Albs - how's London training going?  (Well Jealous) but just training for my first Mara at Edinburgh (Weeny i'm sure i told you about this - apologies if not) image come to Edinburgh it'll be fun!!!!!!!!!

Kwala - what happened to your ankle?  Sounds like your in a bad way hun ((((((hugs)))))

LK - wow i've missed out on all your super super training too - sorry i've missed posts, where you at and what you training for?

Burnie - you been injured too?  How's it going?

Mo - Long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How you doing?  You ok after your stumble??? image

Hey - Trigger, nice to see you again image

Update me everyone image (i promise to be a good student and listen)

So sorry if i forgot anyone image i dont mean to - i just cant keep up......oh and Katy Mc........welcome!  I'm rubbish if i run without breakfast, i feel all weary but i like morning runs and evening runs but as long as i'm fuelled up i'm fine - everyone is different, some people like to jump out of bed and run without breckie (no way - i say!!!!)

Enjoy our forum image

• Options
    Kwala .... you like me I'm not a morning person ...image  image
  • Options

Cheetara.......................... HELLLO you imageimage

My knee is still a bit swollen but just one of those things lol wouldn't be first time I've fallen on my fat assimage Last time was as a newbie at running club,on my first run OMG imageimageimage  They all stopped to see if I was ok!!!!!! 

GO you!!  A Maraimageimage great news image 

• Options

Hi, I'm new both to this site and to running image I'm the only member of all my friends and family who runs (or at least is trying to) and thought it would be nice to find some cyber moral support. Basically I left school and spent the next 24 years either sitting at a desk, sitting in my car or sitting on my sofa. I woke up one day late last year and realised I was about as unfit as it's possible to get, and decided to do something about it. So I started running, without any advice or assistance. I mean, running,,,how hard can it be? I wasn't taught to run as a child and was pretty good at it then.

How wrong can you be?

I had shin-splints within the first couple of days, quickly followed by tendonitis in my feet and ankles. I had so many compression bandages I looked like a mummy, but I still insisted on going for a run every evening. As you might have guessed, after a few weeks of this I wasn't even able to walk, and for the last couple of months I hardly left the house. Soooo depressing!

But last week, after three completely pain-free weeks, I thought I'd try again. And this time, I'll do it properly! I hope to meet new friends on here, ones who can offer good advice and ones who can laugh with me and my woeful attempts to get started as a runner.

Sue

• Options

LK, I use lucozade ones too cos they used to sell them in Asda.  Supposed to use one every 30 mins?  I normally do 40-45 on a very long one. Tried Go Gels too, they're ok, not quite so sweet.  Are lucozade doing VLM?  Last year, entrants could get a discount I think.  Glad your race went well.  Well done on the pb!  As you say to me, take it easy though & be careful mate.

Alb, like the look of your plan.  Well done on the 5, hope the rest go well.

Kwala, really sorry that your ankle is bad.  Fingers crossed it improves soon.

Mo, 5 miler went well, nice rest week.  Back to building this weekend.  Ouch, that fall sounds nasty, take care & hope theres no lasting damage!

Weeny, hope your new orthos do the trick.  Nice buns!

LK, you're loving it arn't you ...  Fantastic!

Trigger, well done on the weight loss so far & good luck with the rest.

KMc, welcome!  You've come to the right place for advice, some of it might be on running.  Good thing about running of course is that it's easier to fit in around life, but sometimes you've got to make running enough of a priority to put it above other things if t's important to you.  I do my LSRs early on sunday and do a tracker bar & banana before I go.

Cheetara, welcome back, weeny spanked me into it too, injury is improving slowly thanks. How's your running going?

Susan, welcome to a great thread and welcome to the world of beginners running.  Over training, we've all done it.  Advice has got to be, correctly fitted training (get your gait analysed at a proper running shop, and take their advice, it'll be worth it) and a ensible schedule ( I know a few people who've done really well with this one ttp://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/get-started-schedules/30.html).

As for me, 5 miler went well.  Nice rest week, now time to start careful builidng towards Sleaford Half & Kilomathon.  Swam a mile this aft, not very fast, but am enjoying the swimming.  Been to fat club, expecting to gain, at best stay the same.  Lost 5lb!!  No idea how.

Take care all.

• Options
    Hi Susan, welcome aboard. Like Burnie says, we've all done that overtraining thing. One of the hardest thing I had to learn is running sllllooooooowwwww (not that I've ever been a speed demon, lol). You should be able to hold a conversation or sing along to your ipod without getting breathless. Gait analysis is good, as is a good sports bra for those of us with ladybumps!! I'm sure you will do better this time round image

Nice weight loss Burnie image
  • Options

Oh dear.. that didn't work....

• Options
    Yaaaaaay!!! Lots of lovely posts to read. Hi guys and newbies  image

Nice to see you being uncharacteristically sensible with your new orthos Weeny. What's planned for tomorrow then? 20 mile XC? hehe  image

Welcome Katy. Nice to see it correctly spelt for a change... (I'm a Katy too). The only advice I can really give is to schedule it in to your life, just like your revision. You're not going to be cramming 24/7, so go for a run on your revision breaks. It stimulates the old brain cells after all and you'll sleep much better. I also make sure I put my running kit on as soon as I get home because I'm much more likely to get my ass out the door if I'm dressed for it. If I sit down even for 5 minutes, I know I'll be vegging all night. Finally, read this thread often. It'll shame you into running if nothing else works 

I used to run on an empty stomach first thing and usually needed a Pro Plus to wake me up image Nowadays I get up at silly o'clock to eat my porridge and then go back to bed for 3 hours so it can go down. Then I can leap out of bed and get out the door. I expect that I'll be back to morning running-on-empty soon though now that my new head torch has arrived and the VLM approaches.

(((Cheetara))) Hello Stranger!!! you've changed your avatar haven't you!! Weeny won't be the only one kicking your ass if you stop posting again! I'm another VLM victim. Won a club place, so I'm training hard. Did 25.5 miles Fri/Sat/Sun including a 15 miler on Sat and a 6 mile race on Sunday with very tired legs, which got me a PB. Weeee. Just waiting to be struck down by a cold or injury now. image

Welcome Susan!! Want some advice? TRAINERS, BRA, RUN SLOOOOOWLY, and if all else fails... FROZEN PEAS. That's all you need for running... apart from maybe some clothes. I can't recommend naked running. In my experience, it makes small children cry.

Burnie - Yeah there are Lucozade gel stations on the VLM. I don't think I could stomach one every 30 mins to be honest. Took it after an hour on Sat and felt absolutely fine. Think I'll just play it by ear and see how it goes. Don't worry, I'll be careful. Thanks for the concern image Cracking news on the weight loss too. Well done image

Considering I've had a thoroughly rubbish day and am knackered, I feel quite bouncy all of a sudden.

Schedule for this week:
    Mon - REST. SLEEP
    Tue - Run to running club, hilly club run (I'm a group leader & choose the routes), run home from running club (9M)
    Wed - Body Pump
    Thu - Visit to the ouchy man to get bruised and battered (sports massage)
    Fri - Running club (5ishM)
    Sat - LSR with mad fella from club. We're going OFF ROAD.
    Sun - Cross country race (5M)
  • Options
    HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options

Bl**dy hell!!  Go to work for a couple of hours...come back "hello forum world"  Is nothing happening in our lives on a Monday peeps??? image

Mo *high fives fave sis of the aged sisterhood*.  Loved! Loved! LOVED! the comment about the rogue Magnum .....RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm sure your @rse is not quite as lardy as you make claim to image

Hello Katy -  My advice about when to run.....I like to pin point set days for running and nothing barring death or certainly serious injury gets in the way of that schedule.  Then the day before...when you know roughly what the next day (YOUR RUN DAY) has in store...alot a rough time of day to do it.  Tell yourself you're gonna do a run...how far and for how long.   The next day - DO IT!  *Simples* image  If I leave it to a vague thing...I never end up getting round to it.  My favourite early morning pre-run munch depends on the time on feet theory.  But if it's something up to 60 mins then I have a handful of raisins and a small carton of apple juice!  (BTW ...it tastes the same on the way up as on the way down...case it ever happens image ) 

What? Too much information image

Sue! Wow! You gonna "do it properly"  ...... Fabulous!! Welcome to the nut house - I shall look forward to cheering, laughing, mopping up your tears and kicking your sorry @rse (my job) in the many months ahead of training.

Burnie - "Cheeky Chops!" Didn't think it was steak in a bun day - but hey as you can't now do March 14th...perhaps you could make a new date image.  Well done on your 5lbs.  I'm dropping pounds massively...but they are the blue and brown crinkly type. *DAMN!*  Are you still getting your ITB probs or you cracked that now??

I have run at 6am and at midnight and all the other hours in between.  I am a morning person! First thing for me - straight out of bed into gear - gulp the raisins and apple juice and OFF! Fabulous! Look forward to hear all about your trials and tribulations - WELCOME!

• Options

Yeah yeah...there's more of me.  Post was getting too long...I was risking getting *barred* again image

Hello Doremouse

Hi Kwala - how's the rainbow doing? Is it the full spectrum of colour yet.  image

"I feel quite bouncy all of a sudden"   *burnie rubs thighsimage

Cheetara - Edinburgh!!!  As it's down hill all the way imageyou'd be up for post race drinks right?? image *considering it*

LK....20 miles hehehe Naughty girl!

• Options

Late home from work so 3 miles on the dreadie for me tonightimage

Welcome Katie and Susy - you don't have to be mad to post here but..........................

Lucozade - I can't do that at all - terrible runners trots so I survive just using squash and the occasional muesli bar for lsrs.  I can't run on an empty stomach so have to eat wait an hour and then run.  Love the idea of eating breakfast and then going back to bed for 3 hours - lovely!

Burnie - amazing weight loss - well done!

Hope the injuries are healing - take careimage

• Options

Hi Trigger image Things going well?

"i like the sound of eating breakfast in bed...and staying there....for several days image

SO Doremouse.....Tell us a bit about YOU image

• Options

Hey people another newb here image

Just kinda got to my the tip of 40 (39 in April) and starting fearing growing old so decided to do something about it, I already have done my first event the Grim challenge in December which was great fun and really muddy.

My biggest issue at the moment is my knees ache, so im having to take it easy, I regulary RICE and try to do knee excercises.

Any of you ladies and gents having knee issues? - Got any reccomendations.

• Options

I'm eating chocs sorryimage after ducking a run as my Mother called and being a good son talked to her instead.image.  Now eating salmon!!!!!!! its like Red meat but swims.

you all seem to be very experienced????????????

• Options

Hi Doremouse - I've been AWOL from this thread so I have probably missed you introducing yourself.  But....so far I am guessing  ...

• you are male.......... (GREAT sisters....another blokee type to abuse image)
    • are a Mummy's boy ........ (hehehe image)
    • Like eating !!  
    Doremouse wrote (see)

"some " have age on their side image

• Options
    are we still talking about running?
  • Options

Evening Squeakz - welcome also. 

Hmmmm knees..... there will be loads of advice on those little buggers.  image

• Options
    "Some of us" ONLY ever talk about running on this "run dedicated forum"  *ahem* image
  • Options

Lycra helps?image Hope you like Cheeky runners Weeny P.

So how long you been running and where........hang on let me read some of yor previous posts.

• Options

Don't You talk about Chocolate................and things related to Chocolate, its marvolous what good it does for you?

• Options
    Hi Squeakz - I used to have knee probs, caused by tight ITB. If this link works and the symptoms sound like yours then try the table stretch - it works!!

http://www.anaerobic.net/runnersguide.aspx