Central Lancashire New Year Half Marathon - POSTPONED

As a result of the continuing freezing conditions and with more freezing forecast tonight, this race is postponed.

I have met with the race organiser this afternoon and in making my decision I have considered the safety of competitors as the priority. There are many parts of the course with large patches of solid ice on them. This poses a danger, not only to runners but also to motorists who may be on the course.

This decision has not been taken lightly and I am disappointed to have to postpone the race. 

I can fully understand the disapointment many of you will feel but hope you will appreciate I have made the call purely on safety grounds.

It is hoped the race can be staged towards the end of January or early February, depending on other fixtures.

Brian Porter

Race referee


  • Just bumping tghis up so people see it and are kept informed
  • Thanks for the update Brian.
  • This just isn't acceptable or good enough

     We MUST put the blame only with Brian Porter, i reckon he put he ice there himself

     after all, what does he know about running,

     you'd think he organies a race in June himself

    i'll kick his backside when i see him  image  image   image

    ohh well

  • I saw him do it Mick! He had a bag of ice cubes and was scattering em everywhere.......image

    Don't worry Brian -its not the only race cancelled or postponed at the moment and I'm sure most people will understand!

    (Apart from Mick of course, who is appearing in next year's "Dancing on Ice)" image

  • image             image                image
  • Can we be informed asap when the date for rechedule has been decided.  I drove from Carlisle down to the event this morning, to find it cancelled.  I was told 31st Jan or 7th Feb as a re-run.  Personally, 7th Feb is better as I've already got an event booked in for 31st Jan.  I take it that if we can't make the re-scheduled date we will get our entry fee back, contrary to what I was told this morning?



  • I'd prefer 7th feb too just for info. 31st clashes with a cross country fixture and there were a few of our club going to come over for this this morning. image
    Having done a horrendously icy race on the 28th December I think the right decision has been made here if it was anything like it was then underfoot!!

  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

    let mick of mick and phil fame decide

    bout time he did some work image

  • Perhaps it would have been better to send out some information to the competitors a bit sooner than an e-mail late yesterday? You did have all our details after all.

     I understand that you did the right thing in cancelling however, but a lot of people had come a long way. Funnily enough it will be impossible for one of our party to do the run if it is postponed as he has only been able to attend as he was on his leave from a far-away place. Can we get refunds then? Can we please be updated?

    Thank you.

  • If i can't make it to the re-run then do i get a refund?
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    i got no e-mail. image
  • Approximately 20 people out of an entry of 300 arrived this morning so I think the organisers did a decent job informing people.

    The organisers will be letting people know the new date later this week.

    I was only the referee (and it was my decision to call the race off - no-one else) so I don't know what the entry form says about refunds. I'm sure it will be in your pre-race information.

    Hope this helps

  • Tough call Brian - but I guess that that is what the race referee is there for, to look out for the best interests of the majority of runners. Well done on taking the tougher decision. The organisers should come up with a fair refund policy ASAP and stick it on the race web site, if they haven't done it already.
  • Thanks Dr Robert.

    Fozzy, your email to Ron was received at 8.52 yesterday and he replied at 4.09pm - pretty much as soon as he got home from his meeting with me.

    If anyone is unable to make the re-run then please email ron@blackpoolmarathon.com and he will let you know about any refunds.

    Hope this helps

  • Thanks.  I understand why it was called off - just want to either run on 7th (if that's the date you choose) or get my money back so I can enter something else.  With fuel, hotels etc, it's an expensive business these days and every little helps.

    Thanks - I'll keep a look out for the date (fingers crossed for 7th Feb though!)  image

  • I have not recieved any e mails at all.  I tried to find an event website, but could not find it.  Finally, i found this page on RW site.  I was starting to think this race was a scam. (Silly I know).  I did turn up, but turned around when i saw a sign at the traffic lights, saying it was cancelled. 
  • Hi

    Ron says: New date 7 Feb

    All January entries will get Prize as well as Medal

  • Woo hoo!!!!  Fantastic - Feb 7th it is then..... thanks for that.  I take it that it's the same time, route info etc....

    Thanks - Deb image

  • Yes Debbie

    the only thing we want to change is the weather

  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    may be more snow from sunday    i am back at work since monday tommorrow and could not get in yestataday and today   and thursday is our week end  we do not work fridays
  • Hope to make the new date and be in shape after the Brass Monkey in York a couple of weeks before - ?!?!
Sign In or Register to comment.