coming back from foot stress fracture

OK I've done the sensible thing and not run for 6 weeks so that it can heal properly nosw I am going to start running again from Monday, I've missed it like crazy sad I know but now I want to stay injury free. Any advice from anyone on how I should start my running again and please don't say one step in front of the other lol. I was clipping along at 8 miles an hour prior to getting injured how should I start back I am afraid of doing too much but at the same time I want to run as much as I can. oh and I'm signed up for the Liverpool half on 28th March and Edinburgh marathon 23rd May so i need to get going aswell

Cheers in anticipation 

G

Comments

• I'm a relative novice, so you might want to wait for a higher level of expertise, but I had a metatarsal stress fracture 6 months ago and thanks to assembled advice, got back to running without problem.

After 6 weeks off (during which I did a lot of walking), there was still a little tenderness, so I waited another week. I did a lot of massaging, and bought new trainers to alternate with my usual ones, making sure the new ones were wide enough at the toes for plenty of freedom, and fastening my trainers loosely at the toes for the same reason. I started off with a run a lamp post, walk a lamp post session, and built up carefully over a few days, always ready to walk when I tired, which is when my posture goes and my feet begin to flap. 10 days and 10 runs later, I was running freely, though it took weeks to get fully back to where I was. I was, and still am, wary of roadside and pavement cambers which I suspect caused my injury, and cause lots of other running injuries.

Build gently for ten days and you should be fine.

• It all depends where your stress fracture is in the foot???  I had a stress fracture in my 3rd metatarsals, proximal shaft in July.  It took 3 months of rehab for me before I got running again.  In my three months rehab I aqua jogged, took spin classes and worked on my core.  My first 3weeks were on crutches non weight bearing.  As I got myself back int action I started walking then picking this up to a brisk walk and race walking also, although it can be sore on the shins.

I then progressed to walking with 10x30sec jogs in between a 50-60min walk.  Build this up until you feel no pain and thenbuild up your running. 5min firast day then 10, then 20 etc etc.  Jogging id good to start with, only when you get to about 30min relaxed you can pick up.  Gage it all on pain, if you feel pain take it a step back.

Running on sand is very good to get back.

Let me know how you get on and also where your stress fracture is and I can give you more advice.

I am a full time athlete (1500m-10k) training twicw A DAY and competing at international standard, so lots of experience on injury and renab.

K

• Hi Kerry,

Can i have some advice too please.

Broke my second metertarsal on 14th December from an origina stress fracture, currently have a removable boot that aids walking but not much else.  I have not been running since and can't wait until I can get out there again.

Off to hospital tomorrow to hopefully be signed off and can get back to work/ exercise

Two days before the break I found out I have got a place in London Marathon so need to seriously consider if I wil be fit enough to compete. I want to do this race but alos want a good time too.

Last year I competed in 4 half marathons with the quickest in 2.01, i can tell me fitness has dropped off cause my legs have lost the muscle tone.

Any tips will be most appreciated

Thanks Andy

• Hi K

thanks for the reply, it was my first metatarsal on my right foot, it continues to ache but I have been advised that this is normal, I have walked on the foot for the past 4 weeks and the job I do I have to walk occassionally quite a way I have suffered no adverse effects from this walking.

I have swum quite a bit and worked on my core whilst I was unable to run. I walked a minute ran a minute for 20 minutes on Monday got back and iced my foot just in case, but I have suffered no ill effects at all. I was going to run a minute walk a minute for 30 minutes today but the snow has intervened

I think I have worked out what may have caused the fracture as wellfrom talking to my sister I had never thought about it but I was using the same block to run around, I always went the same way the camber in the road means I was putting more pressure on the right foot.

Thanks for your advice any continued advice is greatly recieved.

G

•  Hey guys hope fractures are healing well.

Here is some info that I gave in another thread.

aqua running is great, you can do it with or without a belt, I have a full suit for mine.

All you do is replicate your running sessions in pool, eg.

speed session - 14x30sec sprints in deep water

speed endurance - 15x1min or 2min sprints in deep water

endurance - 10x3min or pyramid 1min,2min,3min,3min,2min,1min (1min recovery jogging btw each rep)

There are lots of possiblities, you can replicate track training in pool by changing say your 400m rep into a time to work with, so if you usually do 10x400 (in 70sec) then do 10x70sec with 1min rec or 30sec recovery depending on what you wan to acheive, endurance, spped endurance or lactic tolerance work.

If you keep this up then you will find that it will only take about 2weeks running for your legs to be back in running/racing shape. It keeps the cardio going 100%

Great for those who are very prone to injury, I know people who now only run 2-3times a week and the rest of the work is done in the pool.

Good luck with it.