IMUK/Bolton 2010 training thread

Comments

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭
    ridgebackmax wrote (see

Also you get the right to bore the living t!ts off everyone who is daft enough to ask you about it until the day you turn up your toes

I'm afraid thats already started........image God knows what I'll be like when and if I finish the event!

Ran a 6 mile loop to work today- very cold brrrrrrr........some icy puddles around. Then had to dash on bike at lunch time to other campus to collect some exam scripts then back again......so got 40 mins unscheduled cycling in. Ended up staying late at work so after a cycle ride home decided I had fulfilled my cycling requirements of the day and cooked a decent meal instead. And had glass of wine. Very nice too.

I've yet to see anyone around here sporting M dot tattoo or any other paraphernalia. Maybe they don't exist in Esseximage. My gym seems to be full of new-year resolutioners - all hogging the equipment that I want to useimage. And all filling up the swimming pool imageimage. You see how sociable this is making me image

• Exccellent. Some IM snobbery already. Good work Ladyfeimage
  • my gym is full of bulked up steroid induced meatheads! image
  • Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

image I of course am more than happy to wait for someone to vacate a treadmill so that I can practise my transitions ......particularly those people WALKING on the treadmills image

imageAnd I'm sure the dears that swim across my path when i'm trying to practise my very important drills simply do not understand the sheer importance of drill-practising. image

( image)

• embrace the rage ladyfeimage

Peeing down with rain this morning even the dog didnt want to go out so canned my 5 am long run till tomorrow I know HTFU and JFDI! so rest day today with a nice easy mile or so in the pool to relax this afternoon as I finish work early on fridaysimage 

• Just done my LSR of 11 miles.  Wasn't sure whether it was a good idea straight after a cold but feel good and no side effects - so far!

I found that after about 10 miles my hip flexors started to ache - anyone else suffer from this?

• Hello hello. well, I have given myself 2 rest days this week, no particular reason, 1 was scheduled and the other kind of happened after some orage juice turned into red wine image

SS- have not experienced that before I'm afraid, hope is not too uncomfortable.

Swimming lesson this eve is cancelled as the teacher is away but the pool have said I can have the lane anyway so I'm going to swim easy for 45 mins and see how far I can go, will be lovely with the whole lane to myself.- no lane rage.

Turbo has arrived, picking it up from my dads on Sunday, cant wait to get on it, will make things sooooo much easier as with icy roads/traffic etc have not been out on the bike this week have been using spin classses to get me on through which is far from ideal. (I know excuses, excuses) This way I can fit the bike training around me rather than fitting me around the spin classes. Bought a cadence monitor which I'm quite excited about too have no idea how quick /or slowly I pedal.

7m run tom and spin class, maybe a swim if I get time but friends over for dinner so not sure.

I know we are a way off (thankfully) but do I need to be worrying about accomodation for the IM yet, dont want to end up being miles away from the start/finish?

• Piran

As an IM newbie myself i dont know whether you really ought to be worrying about accomodation yet.  But as far as I go, I decided to book some accomodation as soon as I entered IM as I reasoned that with 1500 people all trying to find somewhere to stay it might get a bit hard to find!

I chose the Premier Inn at Haydock which is a couple of miles away from the start. It's swings and roundabouts about whether to go for something near the finish in Bolton or the start near Pennington Flash.  Ive booked a family room for two nights starting from the saturday night as my wife and two young children are coming to support.

My day will be complicated by the fact my wife doesn't drive so my family will either have to come with me to the start at ridiculous hour or thumb a lift an hour or so later!

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Evening all. I pulled back the curtains this morning, to see........snow!image. I so wasn't expecting that. Anyway, I went off to London for my 3rd swimming lesson.  Again I found this hard and I am officially bottom of the class in my group as I am very slow to get to grips with the new drills. imageI find that although the instructor is very clear.......I just can't seem to visualise what needs to be done and get my body to co-operate. We have a dvd of the drills which is actually very good. I came home very despondant  and the DVD has really helped me to visualise the techniques...........maybe I'm just a visual learner. Today was reinforcing the torpedo, the extension and shark fin drills.  My weakness is in the body rotation - i.e not leading the rotation with the shoulder so that I am swimming more on my side.  I can see now what needs to be done but in the water I feel like an octopus!  Also in not pivoting my head enough so that my mouth actually can inhale air- and not water! 

As a teacher myself this is a lesson learnt- I really felt that I understood what some of my students must feel when they can't grasp a concept although I think I've explained it clearly!  And that panic they must feel in having to  move on to the next thing when they are still struggling with the first topic! 

The instructor came up to me afterwards and made a point of saying that everyone has a 'bad' lesson and  often people sadly don't come back after a bad lesson....I guess she was worried that I'd do a runner!  Of course I'll go back. I just need to practise.

Did 1 hr 30 long bike ride as per schedule in afternoon. It was about 36 km which is about 22 /23 miles which is about 15 miles per hour. I would eventually like to get my speed down to 14 miles/per hour but early days yet.

Got a run and swim scheduled for tomorrow. I've decided to do swim first as its a case of needs, must image

Quiet on here today....WHERE IS EVERYBODY!!!!

• No snow in Cornwall but very frosty and icy so group ride this morning has switched to MT off road always a hard session feeling a bit tired the last couple of days but cutback week next week so time to recover. Its been a good 3 weeks cracked all the sessions  plus a little extra, also for once I have been doing a weights and core session twice a week and am really feeling a lot stronger in the top half. Ladyfe keep up the lessons I am still trying to sort my technique after 8 years of this gameimage
  • Icy here in the Midlands today and decided to use the turbo this afternoon.  Did a 2 hour steady session which hopefully equates to about a 30 mile ride (for me)

Not a bad week for me considering I had a cold through part of it. It just meant I did a bit more turboing than planned runs but that's ok.

I've drawn a line at swimming lessons even though I'm sure I could do with them. This sport just seems to eat money and I went for a new bike a few weeks ago instead.  Just put a Fizik Arione saddle on it (even though I've never ridden it yet!) as I do suffer from bum ache. Also bought a pair of Gore Power Shorts this week which I'm really pleased with.  I just hope the Fizik suits my rear end but I've heard good things about them.

Plan to do a 1hr run before work tomorrow and then hopefully get down the pool for 2100hrs to do my steady plod.

Have a good week everyone

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Evening all. Qute a good week overall..although I had to be creative with my cycle times mid week due to work committments. Used opportunities of cycling between campuses for the shorter rides. At least by mid-march I will have finished my swim lessons so that will free up sat morning and also will have finished teaching Thurs night eve class.

Did my planned swim plus drills this morning and scheduled 9 mile run this afternoon. Snow all gone but bitterly cold and a few sneaky icy patches here and there image. Swim drills weren't brilliant. I;m still trying to concentrate on too many things at once so do nothing really well so will have another bash on Tues night.

Slim - I know what you mean about the expense....but for me front crawl technique lessons are a necessity!  Believe me. Otherwise I'd be in danger of not even making the swim cut off point. Currently I seem to be getting worse instead of better but thats due to a lot of re-learning! Glad you are feeling better from the cold

R'max....I expect you now look like the pic on page 79 of Runners World with all that weight training image

Piran - image to the red wine...bring it on!  Got a glass nicely scheduled for later..( Blimey...even got to schedule my boozing!image)

Tomorrow is rest day so just usual cycle to work and back ( although the work day is 9am -9pm image)

• been on a coaching course for a few days so no time to post (only a basic level - not as grand as it seems but a good course nonetheless), sounds like the plans and training are coming on well, great.

Accomodation, to be honest, can't get that early enough but its a slow filler in Bolton so don't worry too much. Haydock is in the middle of me and the race last year and we drove on the morning, I am sure there will be a few takers for transport.

We live in Warrington and I am sure I will be around race weekend if people are stuck for getting bikes to the transition to register and and I will be available on race day if we have a few lost relatives, I am not a bus company but I am sure we can work a few things out.

I know the race has moved so I will have to gen up before I give advice on location for the day but the worst bit will be the split transition.

If you want to have a look at a good site by a local triathlete to give you the best info on the location check out Martins website.

http://www.energypics.co.uk/

Have a good week people.

• ladyfe wrote (see)
    Piran - image to the red wine...bring it on!  Got a glass nicely scheduled for later..( Blimey...even got to schedule my boozing!image)

Tomorrow is rest day so just usual cycle to work and back ( although the work day is 9am -9pm image)

Ladyfe scheduled some hooch in tonight chillin with acouple of glasses of red as i am not running till lunchtime tomorrow  image
  • Slim

Regards expense I have spent a fortune over the years I am having to curb it this year as lots of more pressing family stuff needs priority so its essentials only this year:

tyres,chains,cassettes,brake blocks, innertubes, cleaning stuff , lubes, trainers, sports drinks, gels, petrol money, hotel fees, race entries, pool fees, massage sessions.....etc,etcimage

• Tonight is the eed of my first 'rest week' - just as well as I got bugger all done, with one distraction or another. I had planned a couple of hours steady on the bike this morning, but woke to an inch of snow and ice, so binned it. The pool was closed and I ran last night, so I turned around and went back to bed.
    The next couple of weeks were scheduled to be 'build' weeks, but I've got to take my son's class school trip for one of my free days, and it's my daughter's class assembly on the other, so it will just be bits and pieces for a while now. Hey ho. At least it keeps the injuries at bay!

I'm on a cheap year as well. I'm hoping to get away with all of the kit accumulated over the last couple of years with no replacements. Once you take the big items out of the equation, Max's expendables are no more expensive than joining a gym, golf club etc. That's what Mrs BTB is led to believe anyway...
  • 40 minute run at lunchtime felt well fried so have decided to kick tonights swim on the head and rest it is rest week up to Cardiff for a couple of days tomorrow for daughters Uni interview so may fit a couple of runs in, nice to run somewher different   
  • One hour treadmill this morning before work - felt hard as well!

Hoping to go for a swim at 9 tonight if I can be arsed

• Woop Woop, I have a turbo, all set up in the front room infront of the tv, cant wait to have a proper go on it this evening, so excited! image 

Weekend training was a bit shot to pieces as woke up to snow in London on Saturday morning so my scheduled 7m outside run turned into an hour on the treadmill.  I got 2 electic shocks from my headphones so had to unplug and just people watch to keep me amused- there are alot of people in my gym that actually dont do an awful lot.!  Spin class straight after, maybe would have been more productive to have done them other way around.  

'Rest day yesterday, I'm going to try and stick to the Don Fink rest day on a Monday now I can use the turbo in the momrnings/evenings. I've been a bit all over the place until now.

Thanks for the pointers on the accommodation, will prob look at getting it booked wihtin the next month or so, one less thing to worry about then.

Run at lunchtime today followed by my virgin outing on the turbo this evening, swim for tom am, up to 60 lengths in one go now so chipping away.

• The last couple of weeks have caused me to really start doubting my ability to do this IM thing!  Work commitments are forcing longer hours than usual and it's leaving me quite drained mentally, I am getting in some of the sessions (as per Fink programme) but concentrating on the endurance sessions at the weekend, just to make sure I get them in. Mustn't panic yet! (aggggh!) Does anyone out there know of a good review of the bike course?  Wondering what I need to be including in my sessions? 
  • Redhead- dont start having a wibble at this early stage or you'll set me off!  RBMax and IR have given some sound practical advice on this thread one of the main bits being to take things slowly and steadily (something about slowly slowly catchee monkee or something strange!)  It's only February and we're just conditioning our bodies and working slowly at the moment. It's the endurance sessions which you're concentrating on which are the crucial ones so end of worries!

We're all here to support each other and I'm sure there will be crisis of confidence and work/illness barriers along the way.

For the bike course see the web site which IR put on his last post.  It's written by a chap called Wiganer and is the unoffical IMUK site and excellent for info.

I'll leave it to the more experienced posters to tell you what needs to be included in your sessions.

happy training

• Bit weary tonight.  I struggled to get out of bed this morning which is unusual for  me. Ran a 4 and half mile loop home but have decided to do swim session on Thurs night this week as I'm not teaching the thurs eve class this week. Yay!   It will be half term the week after next so I'm looking forward to some daily lunchtime swims in the adult-only slot. 

Redhead - I think most people who do IM seem to be busy people so you are in good company. It IS frustrating when work gets in the way..... I get it all the time and I know at the moment its work that taxes me more than the training. The start of this schedule co-incided with a pretty full-on term at work but there is nothing I can do about it except be as creative as I can with my time ! image. Tonight I'm in need of an early night........so shortly I'm going to have a hot bath and hot choc and just relax and try and get a decent kip.image

But also remember we are not doing IM tomorrow but in August so we do have some time!

Piran- people watching at the gym is a bit fun ( *puts IM snob hat on *) . I'm fortunate in that our little gym overlooks the swimming pool so I can critique the swimmers technique. Amazing how a few lessons have made me an expert on other peoples technique but have failed to have a marked impact on my own technique yet image

Tomorrow its a 6 mile run to work and then a bike session in evening. 

• .Redhead - .that was crossed post with Slims  but good advice so do heed!

By the way Slimshady- are you slim?  Just wondered!  Or I guess I could ask...are you shady! ?image

• Slim and Shady!!  image
  • Energy levels back up today after a good nights kip.  6 and half mile run to work and 45 mins on bike in evening as per schedule.  I always enjoy my mid-week  longer run as I seem to run better than I do on the weekend....pity races aren't on Weds morning!

Plan to get a swim in tomorrow evening.

• Redhead chillax early days yet! That said it is Ironman its never going to be easy and you do have to make large sacrifices to get to the finish, namely most of your waking hours not working or dealing with family etc need to be used constructivly to train or recover for the next session. Its a huge step up in commitment to say a marathon program. That said its very doable and if you miss the ODD session do not beat yourself up just keep moving forward and do get in the long sessions no excuses for those. I will not lie it is intensly tiring and involving, I hold down a pretty responsibe job and get up at stupid o clock to train before work, if you are not commited 100% you will never get out of bed when its lashing down to get that run in

• Mental strength is probably the most overlooked element of the whole thing keep working on your focus and remind yourself why you are doing this. When I struggle with tiredness or motivation I look to some heroes of mine for minspiration see below if they can do it with what they have had to overcome why am i even wingeing it soon gets me out of the door    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2585103.stm http://www.alwaystri.net/http://www.teamhoyt.com/Had a great tempo run in Cardiff on Tuesday night barely breathing yet I was flying, rest day yesterday. This morning 25/29/25/25/38 press ups as part of this 100 press ups challenge, 45 minute lunchtime run and a 45 min swim session straight after work. Sports massage booked in for tommorow evening.Ladyfe I was very tired yesterday with all the travelling I had done one early night and Iam raring to go as well. Sleep a very important weapon in the ironman armoury    
  • Tem Hoyt always puts a tear in my eyes and makes me feel like this is possible (the others are more than inspiring too),   Some great clips on youtube, I think one is called I can (can't acess it from work so cant post link but its def work a look)

Really bad week for me, after the excitement of the turbo I am yet to use it, think I may have groin strain so have laid off completly this week other than one 30 min run on Tuesday, it doenst hurt when I run/bike the most painfull thing is going up and down stairs! Thought best to take it easy and let it go away rather than make it worse. Better to lose a few days now rather than a week or so later on.

Redhead, I have doubts about my ability to do this constantly (especially this week) but I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the time to worry about the possibility that I might no make it, the thoughts will always be there but I try to dismiss the negative feelings every time they pop up.

• why are we all worrying if we can do this after looking at this

www.danmartinextreme.com/home.php

I think we are all lazy underacheivers!image
  • Just done a long slow run of 12 miles.  Very pleased as I didn't feel up to it but soon got in the stride!

Now off to work for a 10 hr shiftimage