Dartmoor Discovery

Comments

• Sounds good to me Graham, are you doing a longer midweek run as well? Maybe half marathon distance.
    I won't be at L-B this year but good luck for that. I reckon you could get under 8 hours.
  • Tim - If I've raced on the Sunday I usually rest on Monday. Tuesday is usually a very easy recovery run of up to 10 miles. Wednesday is a faster run of up to 12 miles. Thursday is speed reps (8 x 800m with easy recoveries) or an easy hill session. Friday is a rest day. Saturday is a repetition of Tuesday then Sunday is either a marathon or a steady 20+ miles off road.
  • Graham, you obviously know your stuff.
  • Tim - it's been very much trial and error (have made my share of errors) but I've been going well lately - important thing is to know when you can push yourself towards a higher level and when it's time to ease off.

I know that as London to Brighton approaches I'll be having to step up a gear - throughout August/September each of the midweek runs will have to be extended so that I do at least two sessions of 20+ and a total weekly mileage approaching 100.

For me this is breaking new ground - have never trained at that level of intensity before.
  • Don't forget to allow extra recovery time to compensate for the increase in training.
    And give yourself time for a decent taper.
    Have you got the Road Runners Club booklet training for ultras or the Lore of Running by Tim Noakes?
    Both highly recommended.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner

I agree, Mike should do really well, after all he's been living and training on Dartmoor for years, don't know why he's waited so long to enter, I think he may be the Trotter's secret weapon!! No Dave Tomlin this year?
  • Dave stupidly twisted his ankle rather badly while under the influence at Chairman Rog's recent BBQ, and his running is on ice (quite literally) until after he's done his Lands End to John O'Groats bike ride.
  • By trotters you must mean tamer?I`m erme valley,sounds like this will be 5laps of the mag 7 (top race) Dunnarunner you must live on the web!.graham lon/bri sounds fun,but I`ll see how I get on with this one first though!but a definate maybe,anyone done it? Just as well give it a go,as I`m not quick enough at short stuff.Mind you enjoyed the plymouth 1/2 dressed as father X-mas(1.33) how many weeks at100 miles would be a sensible target?good tip about the drinks is flat coke any good
  • Sorry just reread threads recognise some of the names. teignbrige trotters not tamer.Still mag7 is a top race
  • Richie-not too many weeks at 100 mpw if you've not done it before, and move up to it carefully.
    Dave Cooper was one of this county's best ever 24 hour runners and reckons that you should peak at 100mpw for two weeks then taper down.
    Last year I had a week of 90 miles, 100 and 110 and set 3 ultra pbs in the next 2 months. Its harder to do speed work on high mileage though.
  • Richie - we're the original Trotters! I was running just behind you at Plymouth until I had to stop for a leak at the top of Saltram. What outfit have you planned for Saturday?
  • Richie - you mentioned drinking flat Coke? I knew a runner who would drink a litre or so of this on the day prior to a marathon - have tried it myself but cannot say if it has made any appreciable difference - presumably the idea behind it is the caffiene and sugar content?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Those of you who have not done Discovery before and especially those going on to do more ultras this year - you will be sent a set of full results including all the split times at 10k, 20k, 30k, Mar, 50k which makes really interesting reading. (Similar results format as 2 Bridges). You can divide the runners into 2 groups, those that ran a marathon and tried to hang on and those that ran a more sensible place. The final placings can change a lot in the last 10k, and if you can save a little energy for that last section you should be able to make up a few places.

Timothy - Saw you on the bus to Lake Vyrnwy, good race that wasn't it?
  • Hi Shades, yes. Great bunch of people.
    It was actually my 4th slowest marathon because the weekend before I injured my back. Slowly recovering so I ran with a friend who's usually a lot slower than me which made a pleasant change.
    I did the national 50k two weeks earlier so I've got plenty of excuses!
    One day I will do Dartmoor.
  • Sorry Shades, I've just worked out who you are!!!! I'm so sorry I didn't say hello when you wandered past just outside the presentation.
    I'm sure our paths will cross again.
    It was Pam Storey I was running with, and I took a few miles to catch her 'cos she flew off down the hill at the start.
    I was taking it easy and was ready to bail out if it felt too bad!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES et al - Anne C had decided not to do the Discovery after DMV where she suffered badly with leg & foot pains down one side (sciatica?) She went to do the Bodmin Beast on Sunday and had an accident on the way home ... overnight in Treliske & many stitches ... I am going to visit her today. I'm sure many of you will know her and wish her well
    Lize
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy, I would have come over and said hello while we were on the bus, but thought that heading towards the back of the bus was not a good idea whilst the driver was trying to engage a gear to get us up that hill.

Lize - Give my regards to Anne, tell her she could have just chickened out of the Discovery(although that's not her style), she didn't have to go as far as to crash her car (I'm assuming she was in her car).
    Hope she'll be OK, tell her to enjoy the rest and we'll see her for the usual round of marathons later in the year.
  • Hi Shades, it was a bit fun on the bus wasn't it. I thought we'd all have to get out and push.
  • Just enjoying my last drink before sat.Dunna,won`t be running in fancy dress this time,just my lucky fish hat!Tim,peaked at 70 miles for 1 week for the discovery,rest about 55/65 since feb.Enjoyed doing the Grizzly as a training run,definatly take it more serious next year.Are 2 long runs a week the best way to get the milage up,got plenty of time as I`m on shift work.Shades,sounds like I better be in your second group,as I don`t want be hanging in there at the end(although I`m sure I will be)Just want to enjoy it,and surive long enough to chuck a few beers dopwn my neck

• Hi - been interested following this thread - I'd like to get beyond the 26.2 one of these days and as pashka said at the beginning, this seems like a grand place to start . .

Some of you will have heard of the Connemarathon in Galway, Ireland. Next year it's hoped to have an ultra there alongside the full and half marathons.

Last Sunday a brave Forumite, who'd never run further than 26.2, tried the prospective course out - it's somewhere in the region of 39 miles.

If you're interested, go here to see and read how he got on.

Best of luck this weekend, I have to be domestic I'm afraid so am unable to come along and cheer you on. If you have any photo's of the day, I'd be happy to stick 'em up on the web for you. Looking forward to reading all about it anyway . .
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi there Rich - nice to see you hereabouts - some tougher marathons have a v special atmosphere like the CORNISH on Bodmin Moor and TRESCO - and ... I'm sure SHADES and others can name plenty more

I think Ultras have that again writ large - and yes CONNEMARA sounds like the place for my next step up - to the (nearly) 40-mile mark ... I the M would be lovely to do - but if there's an Ultra too I wont be happy just to do the M!!

Re the photos - I am hoping to carry a disp camera round the Discovery this time - as I also want to take a few of people before we start - so dont forget to comb your hair and put on your make-up
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    NEWS on Anne C: she is - INCREDIBLY - OK

The car on the inside lane started moving out as she was over-taking ... both cars turned over several times (her first ever new car is a complete right-off) she was unconscious, so reckons fortunate, flopped around & no trauma
    Stitches right over her head (not her face!) and elbow as window smashed. Looking relaxed, typically resilient, refused painkillers, already been at work, driven another car, wants no fuss

I was so pleased to see her and SO GLAD she's all right (ditto the other driver! - someone must've been watching over them)

HERE'S to ANNE C - A QUITE REMARKABLE WOMAN
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paskha
    Don't forget to let me know any extras for the bunkhouse list for Saturday, are we definitely in the better one?
    How was Anne, when will she be OK to run again? Did you find out about our team for Saturday?

Rich
    A friend of mine did the Connemara Half, said it was brilliant so we are going to do the marathon next year, looked at the website but no real details of the ultra, so suspect they will put a qualifying time for entry, too early in the year for me to do an ultra anyway. Really enjoyed reading your mate's report, to do his 1st ultra run on his own- impressive.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha
    got interrupted half way through my message, hence you telling me how Anne is before I'd even asked!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha, apart from you and me, this forum has no other Discovery runners posting messages lately, what do you think they are doing?
    1. working out their split times?
    2. carbo-loading?
    3. working out what clothes to wear for the disco?
    4. praying?
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Tapering their alchohol
  • S&P - You missed out "sleeping"
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Trying to make that Runners "universal kit list"

so I never have to start another - there is ALWAYS something missing ... (but fortunately never my trainers - "there was a guy ..." calling out for a pair of size 10s at Tresco - I offered my size 8 ATL sandals - well, room for your toes, I said, and the're cushioned!)

Trouble is I've got to check my son's KIT LIST first - AND before I leave for Dartmoor (11 yr old camp - Final yr in Primary schl) as they're off 8am Monday ...
  • Nipguards, mustn't forget the nipguards (had a terribly blooded singlet at Leeds).
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Cant help you there GR! S&P have already had long discussion via pte email about the ins and outs (or ups and downs) of essential LADIES kit - how about bras for men? er, no that cant be right ... always did wonder about the other bits - well there is a thread (which I'm not going into!) under "loads of other threads" ...

I have just been looking at the one under Health & Injury about Drinking Too Much Water - v interesting as it's potentially life-threatening, though fortunately rare ...