Dartmoor Discovery

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the offer Timothy, have already booked in at hotel in East Preston, so only a few miles to the start for Blackpool, have you done Blackpool before? If so what did you think of the course, I understand they've made some changes but basically the same course except there are now road closures.

Thanks for everybody's info on food, have just had porridge for breakfast, and nipped to Tesco's for white bread. Can't get on with SIS found it too sickly, can't cope with gels at all, so have worked my way through the whole range and come back to Lucozade Sports.
  • Hi Shades, I did Blackpool last year, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the course at all. I thought it was quite fun the short stretch where we ran along the prom with people and donkey trains milling about. Heading out of Blackpool it got quite pleasant and there was a nice loop round a lake at the bottom end of the course. It was though, very windy. I ran it quite quick, its almost completely flat but of course that means that the ramp down to a lower path around 22 miles is a bit of a shock!
    I understand what you mean about drinks, its a very personal choice and even then tastes change.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Timothy, shall look forward to Blackpool now, especially after the hills of tomorrow and Potteries.

How many 24 hr races have you done? What size track/loop did you run on and how far and how long did you run for (if you don't mind me asking all that)!! It's an event that fascinates me, don't think I could ever do one though.

Discovery runners - it's p*****g down with rain here (I'm 21 miles from Princetown), forecast now for tomorrow is cloudy, temps the same as my last report, wind 9mph, sun index 5.
  • Shades, its very wet here too, didn't seem so bad running in it though, just wore a helly and shorts, no raincoat-too warm!
    I've done 5 24 hour races, 4 of them at Doncaster on a 1/4 mile track where I did 100, 102, 90 and 108 miles. The other one was in France on a 1km circuit that was a mixture of road, path, track and sports hall (yes-in one door and out the other!) unfortunately I had a really bad run and did 81 miles. Still enjoyed the event.
    I try to run for 15 minutes and walk for 5. On the earlier ones I mostly walked after 14 hours or so.
    Physically its an event anyone can do really if they're cautious at the start, its the mental thing that's more fun. Getting your head round it.
    Anyway, I'm in serious danger of corrupting your thread.
    Just a warning again to all first time ultra runners, as long as you're sensible with the pace and have a good time its addictive.
    I'm looking forward to reading all the reports from you all.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
  • Overcast here in London - warm and a little humid. Forecast for tomorrow sounds okay, wind from the south should mean reasonably mild conditions even up on the Moor. A light shower or two would be good.

Provided no ill effects after Saturday am aiming to be at Blackpool on the 22nd (and at Edinburgh on the 15th) - 3 hard weeks coming up.

Setting sail shortly for Devon (M4/M5 beckons) - if I eat another banana today shall end up looking like one - good luck all, has been useful and interesting joining and following this thread.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy
    5 x 24hr races, I'm impressed, I know I couldn't mentally handle running round a track, I hate to run round a track even once in a marathon. Do they ever have races round larger loops?

Discovery runners - it's stopped raining, the sun has come out, very humid, but it is usually fresher on the moors.
    I've just spent the last couple of hours working with my boss, had to call a break in the middle so I could eat my marmalade sandwiches(white bread), he thinks I've totally lost the plot.

P - Sorry, I haven't got a spare sleeping bag to lend you,to save you having to carry yours on your bike. What time will you be in Princetown tomorrow? I phoned Jen last night, she's looking forward to the race.
  • That's funny Shades, if you've eaten enough you shouldn't need an excessivily large breakfast.
    They don't usually do 24 hour races on larger loops, maybe 1 mile ones. If you're going all day its handy to be near all your stuff and people.
    I think my experience is a bit limited really.
    Oddly I find it easier running endless laps of a track than a marathon with 2 laps!! The second time round the lake was getting a bit tedious last weekend.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I had porridge at 6 a.m. this morning, early start so I could do my food shop at Tesco before work. Had 2 pieces of toast at 8 a.m., then was starving at 11, so had the maramalade sandwiches. Getting a bit peckish again now, lunch in 20 mins. I'm always hungrier in the earlier part of the day.

Have you done any 100k, didn't they used to have an event that was in 10k loops?
  • I've done 4 100km Shades, 3 in Edinburgh. The 2nd one was the only time I've pulled out of a race! My legs siezed up in the rain when I stopped for a wee at 50 miles, couldn't do more than walk so pulled out at 90km.
    That was 30 laps, the other one was the Fire College at Moreton in the Marsh last year. 25 laps, 10:15 my pb
    10k loops sounds familiar but there are a lot of 100km races that have come and gone.
  • Good luck to you all. I'll be trying to get up to the moor to offer support & jelly babies!

What are your race nos so I can recognise you - not you Shades - I know who you are, and I don't think I'll be able to miss Timothy!
  • 'cept I'm not running tomorrow!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy, 10.15, that's really good. I think I'm too slow to consider 100k's. Do they put a qualifying time for entrants or are they not bothered as long as you have your own support?

Dunnarunner
    I shan't be wearing my favourite Trotters vest though, but the my hair is good and red, had to top up the colour this week as ended up blonde after 9 hours in the sun last Saturday, of course I'll be wearing the shades whatever the weather.

I'm already dopey enough without being blonde as well, went for petrol this morning and coudn't remember what side I needed to park the car to fill up, so parked in the middle (I've only had the car 2 years!!).
  • hi Shades, the 100kms I've done don't have a qualifying time but they do have a time limit. The Edinburgh race has a 12 hour time limit. There are a lot more of these in France, and I notice longer finishing times for them.
    That's why I'm going around telling people about races that go on time, 12 hour or 24 hour races. Everyone finishes at the same time and you never get that "off the back" feeling.
    Actually in Edinburgh (in July) as long as you've started your last lap before 12 hours they'll let you finish and they're a great bunch. Pity I can't go this year.
    And they credit you with whatever distance you've done so if you like you can treat it as a 12 hour time trial. They still gave me a certificate when I did 90km, no medal though.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a 12 hour race advertised, I'll look in the RRC directory again, have you done a 12 too? I think I'll just have to get round this hang up of track running, I would like to try a 12 first, do you have to have your own support?
    I might end up doing a 12 hour tomorrow, last year's Discovery, I took the wrong route, World Cup, England were playing and I think the marshal sloped off, ended up running up onto the moor again, had to ask a postman the way to Widecombe did an extra 3 miles or so, was behind the sweeper van at this stage. Flagged down some holidaymakers in a car and they went on to tell the sweeper van, who sent me back a bottle of water. So as long as I stick to the route I should do a better tomorrow. I should have been blonde!!
  • Oh no, not the way to Widecombe. Sorry, sound familiar. Could be a folk song!!
    There is a new 12 hour race, very poorly advertised and promoted but when we ran the previous version 2 years ago there were 6 of us. Small but friendly, you don't have to provide support but its best to have your own supplies to hand (hence the beauty of doing these things on a track).
    Boston, August Bank holiday weekend so inconveniently clashes with 2-Bridges.
    Or you could enter the Tooting Bec 24 hour race in October and stop at 12 hours.
    I seem to recall your hair as being rather gorgeous.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Timothy, can't do August Bank Holiday weekend, I never miss the Two Bridges. I'd like to try a 12 or 24 next year, I'm cramming in the marathons and a couple of ultras this year to reach my 100th by August, will ease off the marathons then and just do one every other week. I'm also going to become an organiser for Womens Running Network will be starting that in September, so that will take up some time. I want to give something back to running, to help and encourage others to take up the sport, as a sort of repayment for all the support I have received from people over the years.

I helped put together the RRC directory last year, and expect I shall be doing the same this year, so will keep my eye open for ultras to aim for as next year's goal.
  • Good for you Shades, I should do my 50th marathon at Wolverhampton in September, I think I've done 24 ultras as well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    So you can now register with the 100 Marathon Club as a 'Wannabee'.(no fees involved). They recognise ultras too, so your total so far is 74, need to have 50 to be a 'wannabee'.
    They have a website.

Must go and get some work done.

What's happened to all the Discovery runners, they're definitely ironing their gear for the disco, except for Graham who we know is probably on M5 now.
  • Sorry, I seem to have helped you corrupt this thread haven't I Shades, ah well.
    Yes, I was thinking of adding my name to the list. I always said if I joined the 100 marathon club it would be by accident rather than design although maybe when I'm nearly there I might squeeze a few more in than normal. I do something like 5-9 marathons a year which isn't tht many really. But if you add on the 4 or 5 ultras I do it makes a difference, I'd rather just count the marathons and have a seperate list for ultras.
    See you
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Right, this is my last message before the Discovery, so want to wish all the other runners good luck. Come over and say hello, I'm no 46, loads of red hair, and shades, of course.

I think everybody has disappeared except for me and Timothy, why aren't you running this one, I've forgotten? They must be still ironing their clothes for the disco, must remember the ibuprofen so I can have a dance.

Will be back on line on Sunday to hear how you all got on, it's gonna be a brilliant day!!

Good Luck
  • Ha, my dear wife fancied a weekend in London with a friend so I'm left behind in sunny (really, it is at the moment) Manchester with our 3 children to look after.
    Have a good day.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    All the Best to one and all!!

Bit late - but there may be some of you who may take a look in the morning - not me - I shall be waking at 4am and leaving at 05.30, should be a lovely quiet run up through Cornwall on the motorbike

Lize - No 41

PS Got an email from Paul Bullock this afternoon wishing all the Cornish runners a good run (I'm sure if he knew about the Forum, he'd wish you ALL a good run!!) He tore a calf muscle a few wks ago, so wont be there - shame!! He was 5th in Neolithic, would have done really well ...
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    That is Paul Bullock of Newquay RR
  • Well done everybody! Hope I wasn't being too cruel by sitting outside the Rugglestone with my pint and my pasty while you toiled past.
  • Dunnarunner,

Finished in one piece! 4:50, last 7 mile took 65 mins and we was running sensible, it said it wasnt a bad course, but it is!

never again! good luck next year, i'll see you outside the Rugglestone next year when you are 50, was that about 20 mile? if it was I asked for a larger!! and you laughed! I was serious. 3 Bideford aac runners all together.

Cheers and thanks for your support!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Muzza, do you really mean 'never again'. It was a fabulous day, weather was good (for Dartmoor), bit hot down in Ashburton, but it is a tough course especially that section from 13 to 20 miles. You did a great time, I did 6.44 which is my best ever and will aim for sub 6.30 next year, will be running with fresh legs then. All 4 of our team WRN(ladies) finished and we picked up the team prize!!

Dunnarunner, you did look very relaxed sitting with Gary outside the pub, just wait till next year. Saw Mike Hicks en route, pity he decided not to run, hope he'll be there next year. The Trotters picked up 3rd team prize (it's in the boot of my car) I think it's Adrian, Skins & Smokin'. Will take it to Dyrons on Wed, hope at least one of them will be there.
  • Well done all. There's no such thing as never again.
    See you next week Shades.
  • To Liz

Hope you did well in the Discovery. Had hoped to see you at the Beast last weekend, you must have been 'tapering'. Hope DD went well. See you soon. Lesley
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy, your HAVE to do this race next year, it was fantastic.

I don't expect Graham will be logging in for a while, I expect he's in the shed building a trophy cabinet, he was 5th, also picked up a Vets prize and best newcomer. Not bad for his first ultra!!

Looking forward to the Potteries next week, let's hope it's not too hot.

Dunnarunner, have phoned Skins so he will be Dyrons Wed.