Options

Dartmoor Discovery

Comments

• Options
    Im getting lots of good advice here, thanks people
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Liz

Jen wants to go to IOM again, why don't you contact her, she may be prepared to drive to Liverpool. Leave the car in Liverpool, travel on ferry as foot passenger, stay one night in Douglas, get the free bus to Ramsey for the race, could sail back Sunday night or stay another night and travel home Monday. Would love to have you there. I would love to do a good time but never seem to manage it on IOM, probably the driving and ferry on the day before doesn't help. Jen was 1st lady last year. This should be on my IOM forum!! I've just started one for Two Bridges.

How can you eat red meat and roll mops in the same meal.

How are your legs? I am going to email Phil too, to thank him for organising the Discovery, THE BEST RACE IN THE WORLD!!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it really hit me this time, how special it is. I loved it from the first time and now I always have to go, as you know! - but what I realised, having been to another excellent event (Tresco M) is that the Discovery is for RUNNERS (Tresco is more about raising money and awareness of Cystic Fibrosis - so it's special in a different way)

"I love the Discovery because it is about RUNNERS - pushing us to the next level, and about personal achievement and being helped and supported there by others - some hugely experienced in running, but many more giving freely of their time and energy (for days!*) to help and encourage ... and it appeals to my egalitarian outlook!! Less than £50 for the whole shebang - the entry fee, travel, two nights away, drinks & food!"

*In Phil's case - months!
  • Options

how long have you all been running?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi there Hippo of Numph - click on our names - most of us have our running details there
  • Options
    thankyou, forgot about that
  • Options
    ah

see you in about 4-5 years
    happy running
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    H of N

What do you mean 4-5 years, you must be intrigued by this race to be on this forum?
    Have you done a marathon yet?

Paskha

What do you mean by 2 nights? Where did you go the night before or the night after??
    & get back to work!!
  • Options
    yes shades
    im about to do my fourth
  • Options
    Hi Shades, keep it quiet but I have every intention of corrupting our dear Hippo (who keeps changing her name and picture to throw me off the scent!!)
    She's doing the Potts so you can help me out!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OK Timothy (or do you prefer to be called Tim?) So we need to find Hippo before the race starts on Sunday, do you know what she looks like?

Hippo, will you come and find us, I have no picture on the web but I'm in RW (latest issue) page 75, long red hair & shades, of course. What is your race no? have you done Potteries before?

If you don't think you're ready for the Discovery, I met a guy on Saturday, he finished in 5.09 and he'd never even run a marathon before, only halfs!! (I thought I ought to mention the Discovery as we are on that Forum).
  • Options
    Hi Shades
    im small, fat and blonde
    i wear gold rimmed specs
    Im not v fit, but need to get used to the marathon distance before attempting anything else
    not sure why i want to do it, i hate long runs
    This will be my first potteries
    ill definitely come and say hello
  • Options
    Good piccie BTW
    you look absolutely focussed
  • Options
    Shades, why don't you come over to the Potteries thread and we can make arrangements there. We're camping in Trentham gardens Saturday night if you want to meet up before hand.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Moving over to Potteries thread now
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi Hippo - if you look back to the beginning of the thread LizE (me) ran the Discovery in 1999, 5 wks after my first marathon (which did happen to be a tough hilly one - the former Duchy M course, Cornwall, which helped!) I even told others that my first M was a "training run" for an Ultra - as from the time I first read about the DD in the RRC magazine in 1998, I wanted to do it! But I had to do the M first - unlike TERRY HILL (5.09 - SHADES mentioned above) who did brilliantly having never run a Mthon -

We all have to start somewhere - and you've done 4 mthons! how did you get on? My first marathon was where I met (the now FAMOUS - or infamous?!) SHADES!!
    She was on her 17th that day ...

I would SO love to be doing MY 17th on the IOM when SHADES does her 100th!!! But I don't know that I'll even be able to get there - and it would be my 15th I guess

SHADES - re the TWO nights in the cost calculation - that was how I did it in 1999 & 2000 before I got the motorbike
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I shall have to check my records, but I'm sure my 17th was Hereford.

That's OK about the extra night, thought maybe you were up to extra post race activities!!

Have you finished your work?

Have you spoken to Jen re IOM, I have put a message on IOM thread today re flights, but still think you are better driving to L'Pool
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES - I remember you saying "17th" because I was SO amazed - but you may have got it wrong!! So I'm curious now - what number WAS Duchy 99?

PS Re the roll-mops. As I'm at home with only James (17) this week, I'm using him as an excuse - he likes 'em, so we ate them as an entree, not formally though, just stuffed them in straight out of the pot ... the food hit the spot, the wine went straight to my head, I crashed out on the sofa ...

I've been working since 4am ... need to finish off ...
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES - No I haven't phd Jen yet - maybe tomorrow evg - as I'll be out late delivering those energetic (eh?) leaflets

IOM - Re Air Travel - Knowing me, I wont get Photo ID together by August so would have to travel by land & sea!

HIPPO of NUMPH - I re-read your message that you've done THREE Mthons - good for you, hope the Potteries goes OK

Where IS the Potteries thread?! I thought it would be on the FRONT PAGE by now ...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The only reason I can remember Hereford was my 17th is that I was running along about 3 miles into the race with Bob Webster & John Kew, and somebody said 'how many is it today then', John replied 300+whatever and Bob replied 100+whatever, and I said timidly'17' I'll check my book when I go home for lunch.
    Potteries thread is on front page, I was on my way earlier but computer crashed.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    It's okay - I've found it now - missed it several times cos it says "AFFORD RENT-A-CAR Potteries Marathon" ...

SHADES - you asked about my legs - I have to say it in public on this Forum

MY LEGS (QUADS not calves) have been really very aching - maybe the worst ever!! (except that FIRST M - the one & only tough DUCHY) I had a great massage too

The first day they ached bad (Sunday)
    The second day they ached bad (Monday - yesterday)
    The third day (today) - let me just go up the stairs and see how they feel coming down ... they are still sore but not as bad BUT USUALLY ACHE IS GONE BY THE THIRD DAY

and I thought I'd have fared better having now done the 4 mthons in 8 weeks (since Tresco) I did plan to run harder at Neolithic (5 wks before DD) and take it easy (training run) at DMV (20 days before DD) but I did it the other way round in the end - so probably hadn't recovered fully from DMV

I am NOT looking forward to delivering leaflets - too many houses with steps ...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps that's your new downhill technique causing your quads to ache, if not probably just the hills in general.

I should have gone for a recovery run today, but didn't, got up early and did some housework instead. My calf muscles are a little sore, but barely a twinge really.

Have you finished your accounting work, and only the leaflets to do?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    To Ye Hippo

I've just received the split times for Discovery, also shows 7 DNF's - all male.
  • Options
    This seems to be statistically significant even though the proportion of females at Discovery was lower.

Marl was 157 starters with 45 females, across both the short and long routes. Out of 112 male starters, 11 DNF. I wonder if the males realised they had a 1 in 10 chance of not finishing! That truly is dropping like flies. (Actually there are 2 names that could be either male or female - Leslie & Robin, but in my experience these are more normally the male spellings.)

Ye.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    YH -I don't think women start a race unless they are confident they can complete it, so their difficulty lies in confidence to enter an event. I think men are more optimistic and believe that magically everything will be alright on the day, then get so disheartened when a race doesn't go to plan, then want to call it a day.

At the tale end of a marathon, if/when I manage to pass a few stragglers in the last couple of miles, the women are always cheerful and the men are miserable. do the men think they've then failed?

Re Discovery, last year only 6 ladies started (& finished), this year 15, entries were up all round, 70 finishers last year, 91 this year.

4 weeks before the race, the organiser had 65 entries in, 15 ladies, do you think the ladies had planned (& trained)knowing they could finish, therefore entered early and with more self belief.

I've now had the split times for the Discovery emailed to me, if you're interested I can let you have a copy.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi - I'm back - and feeling great today - after 5 hrs walking with the leaflets!! 5-10pm. Once I was out there I enjoyed it - blustery and cool evg, ok for just a T-shirt and the hat was useful to keep the hair at bay! even the steps were ok - good training, lousy money, works out similar to Care work

SHADES - I like your thoughts on diffs between males & females above. It has a lot to do with expectations, both your own and others. I feel fortunate not to have the pressure that faster runners have and when I have felt pressure or put it on myself, I'm in danger of losing perspective. It happened to my sister in the London M, she is fast FV50 (FV55 in Aug) and was running for 3.40, felt her ski-ing injury at Mile 18 and pulled out - now wishes she'd just walked the rest - and at least finished.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good to have you back, all your deadlines met now?

Have you studied the split times, you can see 50k not a true time for us (at the back), but interesting reading, look at the brilliant even pace Jane did (& Diane, the girl I was talking to Sun morning).

This thread is near an end now, we're on Potts or 2 Bridges most of the time now.
  • Options
    Shades - I'd be interested in seeing the split times if you would kindly e-mail them on to me.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ah Dunnarunner, will you be using them as your training strategy for next year's DD? They're on my PC at home, can I pick up your email address from this website?
    I will be at Dyrons tonight with the boys' prizes, I was going to take a hard copy for them to look at, if Phil hasn't their email address they will receive them snail mail.
  • Options
    Shades - You only have to click on my name above to be able to send me an e-mail. It's for interest only - I like to see whether people are able to keep a steady pace - from my vantage points around the course I could see that gaps were closing as the race developed.