Options

White Peak Marathon and Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Greetings all. 

The entry lists are now on our website at http://www.matlockac.org.uk/2010WPM/2010halfentry.pdf

and http://www.matlockac.org.uk/2010WPM/2010maraentry.pdf

Hope they don't all turn up.

On that score muz, I can never tell in advance about the seats on the buses. We obviously allow many more entrants than the 200 per event, as normally 30% don't turn out. This gives us the numbers we want and allows more people to enter. But we only have eight 50 seater buses, so more than 200 per event will be embarrassing. That said, we have never had a problem YET. Fortunately a lot of you make your own way to the starts, as well. One thing I can be sure of, you will be unpopular if you expect to carry a bike on the bus!

Hope you all have a good day.

Ian

• Options
    Hi people, my first post on here....

Although I have done lots of halfs, this will be my first full marathon. I cycled the whole route on Saturday with a friend, really lovely views just a bit concerned that the first 7 miles is basically a hill! Also noticed cars about the route with radio equipment/aerials etc..maybe a radio check for the event?

Oh well just been out and done my final long run of 20miles, but feel shattered now. Going to Spain on Thursday to finish my training off and chill out a bit.

Really looking forward to it, although a bit anxious about the first 7 miles..... my strategy is just to go very very steady.

Andrew
  • Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    Hi Andrew and welcome image dont worry abut the 1st 7M, they fly by..and the hill is more mental than physical..just keep it steady and dont go out too fast and you will be grand. and well done on bagging that last long run image. have a fab holiday image
  • Options
    brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

Hi Andrew, tis only my second marathon so cannot give much advice really-just enjoy it. I dont think any other event has given me such a feeling of achievement as to have completed the whole thing for the first timeimage. You will feel on top of the world regardless of time, pain, sweat etcimage

Clairster- how's the training going?? Half marathon at Hinkley yesterday on very tired legs but did it in 1 hour 40 mins and 44 seconds so well chuffed!

See you soon, I will need you to carry a pink carnation so I can identify youimage

Cheers for now

Brer

• Options

I went running to Ilam and Dovedale on Sunday for a really tough 16 miler and fell over - my first big fall!  My arms are a right mess and you should see my knees - bit worried about my right one!

Oh well, fingers crossed, volcano permitting, I'm off to Italy on Thursday to get married, shall take my trainers for a few quiet, short runs and then back for the big day!

Hope everyone's training is going ok.

• Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    Hiya BR..Thats a superb time, well done you image..I will have pigtails and some ribbon in my hair probably, but I like the idea of carnations image. May not be at the rugby club for long but should make the start line in time image.

Claire - Oh nooooo! Hope it gets better in time for the wedding..could make some interesting pics! have a fabulous time image

Not long to go now folks imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    proper boproper bo ✭✭✭

Will there be a chance to send supplies to the half way point?

• Options
    Hope the weather gets a little warmer, absolutely freezing last night in the Fens image
  • Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    Aye, was cold here too..WP always has interesting weather though image
  • Options
    Right...off on my hols..hope to find some room for my trainers so I can do a few runs in the Tuscan Countryside...take care everyone and see you next weekend.
  • Options

Have a good 'un Claire, all the best.

Clairster, I have route profile but could you describe in 'runner talk' hills, toughie bits, easy bits etc so I can try to work out my pacing. Havent had chance to recce the route so would just like to have some idea of any bits to be extra prepared for, if you would be so kindimage

Last long one tonight, 10 miles, now it's down hill all the way- carb loading week (when I can remember how much and whenimage)

Cheers for now

Brer

• Options

Can't please some people... Earlier in the week I was moaning it was bitterly cold.

Today it is warm and sunny, really don't want next Saturday to be as warm and sunny as today.

• Options
    Just ran bupa 10 k in Manchester , knackered but under 44 by my garmin so hope to finish in 4 hrs next sat. Rest all week I think.
  • Options
    Hey guys, just looked at metcheck's prediction for next Saturday... 22 degrees. OMG- don't think I have appropriate clothing for such giddy temperatures!!Well done webby-4 hrs my aim too unless I've melted on the way round!!
  • Options

22 degrees ?

Lovely !!! image

• Options

22 Degrees image  image  image

Not good....

• Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

Hi all, WP i sunpredicatble in its weather..I have had cloud, wind, hail, brilliant sunshine all in one day.

BR - sorry for the delay, I have been running round the country (literally). There is a good runners description on my website (http://sites.google.com/site/clairewilson/whitepeakandthemanchester10k). The climb after the halfway point is all in you rhead as it just looks that way, the hills are higher in the distance. You really can negative split if you have downhill running sorted. The 'climb' up to 10ishM is one of the nicest evers, it gentle and no big effort, justs dont go out too fast as you will have to work harder to get your pace you would on the flat. It really is about saving yourself for the second half, where gravity is your friend image

• Options

Hey Clairster, great description/blog on your website-really, really helpful. Many thanks to you, found it reassuring after looking at the profileimage.

What are all you guys doing for training this week? I'm off to Fizzio tomorrow in hope that she can revitalise these tired old legs!!

Brer

• Options
    Only running tomorrow night, then complete rest image
  • Options

Hi Fenland Runner, 3 miles tomorrow, 3 thursday and just a bone shaker 1 mile on Friday. I'm feeling pretty knacked at the moment so hope I get some revitalisation before Saturdayimage

Brer

• Options
    Nice off road run tonight. No more running now other than to run over to marshall a fell race on wed.
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

Oh dear, the BBC weather now has the temp at max 24 degrees for Saturday in Matlock! image I was looking forward to this one having missed last year but I now have a chest infection so it's unlikely that I will be getting sunburnt on Saturday image

Enjoy your tapering! image

• Options

A quick question for those who have ran this before (I was entered in 2004 BUT didn't make it due to an injury sustained during the FLM that year - I'm a White Peaks virgin! image), would the course be suitable for road racing flats/light-weights or better to go with standard road cushioning shoes? The light-weights do not do loose stones particulary well (well, they may do BUT my feet don't after 25 miles!).

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

On Metcheck it says 25 degrees and 'feels like' 26 image I won't look at any more weather forecasts!

Sean- The paths are all 'solid' underfoot as far as I can remember. The downhill bits might be tough on the legs if you are lacking cushioning but I am no expert, so I will let someone who is fast enough to use racing shoes comment!!! 

• Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    mort - you dont have to go fast to wear flat shoes image

i am 90% certain I will be in my fastwitches
  • Options
    I will be wearing Nike Lunarglides image
  • Options
    So, is a image or a image for lightweights?
  • Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    Sean - depends on your personal pref i guess. i did windermere on sunday in fastwitches and found some of the more worn roads challenging, WP is limestone trail so it could be anything..all the times I have done it there have been puddles image. I think the 1st half is better surface wise than the last, but its never something i have paid much attention to up until now..bit vague, sorry!
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

Oh thank God Metcheck is now saying 24- feelslike 25 degrees. Lets hope it keeps going down!

And what the hell are fastwitches?!!!!! 

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Mr Milne- Please can you tell me what colour the mugs are this year? I am undertrained and ill but if they are black I will stagger round and fling myself upon the finish line image