Options

White Peak Marathon and Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Just back from Italy and my wedding to find this hot weather...scared about tomorrow now..also had a bad cold whilst I was away...still it'll be a good way to burn off all those extra calories I ate whilst away!

Good luck everyone.

• Options
    Yeah, good luck everyone. We actually had a bit of rain this afternoon at Buxton (quite near the course) but it hasn't cooled down at all.
  • Options

Morticia, do you want me to register and pick up your number for you? (if allowed).

Email me via RW if you do and give me some details!

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the offer sean, but I think clairster (my stockport clubmate) has the matter in hand! image
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone by the way! Congratulations claire! image
  • Options
    Good luck everyone, just off to bed, but am so excited (first marathon), not sure I will be able to sleep tonight, going to be warm, best use every water station I think image
  • Options
    Morning everyone, well I'm up and had my brekkie! (tryin not to think about the heat!)
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Nice and cool in the shade at the mo! image See you all later!
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    I have sunburn and a shiny new marathon PW! But I enjoyed it as always image Anyone PB? image
  • Options
    brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

Hi folks-how are we doing after that belter in the sunshine?image Fantastic scenery, brilliant marshalls but OMG hot. Hope everybody survived and are now rehydrating on something cool.

Brer

• Options
    I have blisters on my feet, an insatiable thirst but loved it. stunning scenery which took some of the pain and fatigue off my mind. Not a PB or a PW but I was first lady across the line so that feels good.
  • Options

Damn that was tough going. Ian, congrats on pulling that off today, the weather was a beast. All the marshalls and the folks at the drink stations (did you add a couple?) were amazing. My massage after was well worth the money too, I don't think I swore at them too often.

Apparently the scenery was stunning, but I'm afraid I was too busy blowing out of my backside to notice much.

Well Done Sir, now sit down and get a few beers in you (I am)

Thanks

Iain (the strange fella with long sleeves)

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Well done doppyashton! And everyone else too of course. I usually do it in about 4 hours 15 but only just got in under 5 and a half hours yesterday. The marshals did indeed do a splendid job, with plenty of water and cheerful support left for us bringing up the rear. See you next year when I intend to be back to running all the way rather than the 30%run/70% walk method I employed yesterday! image
  • Options

I pb'ed. I got a kiss and cuddle from Clairster. image (and a pint of beer)

I now look like an overweight matchstick, the whole of my head is bright red. I wasn't really intending on marshaling so didn't take a hat or sunscreen. image

Well done to all of you who finished and commiserations to the few that didn't.

Hope you enjoyed the jelly babies Mort. image

• Options

Hi,  Does anyone have an update on the guy that collapsed at the top of the last hil?.  I sprinted off like mad to find someone with a phone to call for an ambulance (she was a doctor luckily but it would have taken her a while to walk up the hill to him!), while two others put him into the recovery position.  Hope he's OK as he was unconcious.

• Options
    If it was the same guy who was carried to the rugby club, then he was concious when they put him into the ambulance so hopefully he turned out ok.
  • Options
    brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

Oh dear, hope he's ok.

Well done everybody, good one DoppyAshton 3hrs 51 mins for me according to watch but will await results for final time.

Brer

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Oh dear thats bad- I hope he is ok. Lots of people seemed to be struggling with hydration/dehydration issues yesterday unsurprisingly. Poor muzzy too! But you did an excellent job at the road crossing. Next year you will have to run and then you will be better prepared image
  • Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

yes hopefully he is ok and hopefully he was the only one

well done doppyashton and everyone else!!

Brer fab to meet you image

mort - smashing job of bringing up the rear and making sure everyone at the back was ok image and now you have a black AND red mug image

get training muzzy, not too long to JW image

Mr Milne - lovely to finally meet you

MR MILNE AND ALL AT MATLOCK AC: thank you so much for yet another fab race, the marshalls were brilliant

• Options

Greetings all

Didn't you do well? Shame about the heat, but we've had a few like that in the old days. That is why we are so cautious. It really is not an event for the novice, because of the potential for exposure. Once we had blizzards as well, so you still have some new experiences to come.

As far as I know the guy who collapsed is ok now. You soon recover from heat exhaustion, so long as you get horizontal early enough, and in the shade.

Muzzy, watch out when you scratch your head. You don't want to set fire to yourself! But thanks for your help, once again. Much appreciated.

On a serious note, we have ladies pocket book found on the incline. It contains cards and tickets. Name of Hall. London Travel card from Tulse Hill so may be associated with Dulwich Harriers. Anyone any contacts please let me know.

Our next real event is the Black Rocks Fell Race from Cromford Meadows, along the canal, up the incline off to the rocks, and back down again. About 5 miles and 850 feet. EOD, on evening of July 14. Details from RW events site, or email me.

Also, very popular is Ricky's Race from 3 Stags at Darley Bridge (3 miles north of Matlock) similar event on August 12. The last one of the year. Again RW events site.

Both have stunning views, and seriously steep but short climbs, if you raise your eyes to the views.

Glad once again to meet you all, after all these years.

Ian

• Options

See below. It's self explanatory.

Ian

Hi Ian,

The heat got me I’m afraid – had to retire after 19.25 miles and ended up in the St Johns Ambulance for 1 ¼ hours with heat stroke.

Lost 8 ¼ lbs in weight (always weigh myself before and after a marathon).

The organization for getting me down from the course in a car and straight to the ambulance was top class. Can’t thank everyone enough as I was in a pretty bad way. St Johns Ambulance crews were first class.

Had expected to run it in 3hrs 45mins and had my nutrition/water spot on so just shows what the weather can do.

• Options

My first ever marathon and it was a tough one.  The incline seemed to go on for the first 21 miles!  The heat made it difficult too but Im glad I chose this race.  At some points during the first half I just thought this is why I took up running. The scenery was awesome.  The marshalling was fantastic.  So many water stations and everone very helpful and friendly.

Saying that,  at about the 20 mile point I was wondering why I was putting myself through it. But it was worth it to run over the finish finish with my daughter and my niece a my side.

Well done to everyone and see you next year!

• Options

Hi everyone...that was a real tough one for me and I can't say I enjoyed it...I struggled from the word go, not sure if it was the heat but there was nothing in my legs at all.

At 16 mile/drink station, I did sit on the wall and burst into tears, but was determined to finish in whatever time it took me.

I must say that the organisation and the support from the guys at the drink stations was amazing and that is what kept me going.  The people at the last station in particular, a guy really looked after me, spraying me with water and even finding me a biscuit.

I lost 5lbs from before I weighed going on holiday to Italy and today, so think I must have lost more as I ate loads in Italy!

I am disappointed today but also pleased I managed to complete it, for me it was a big mental battle aswell as physical!

Thanks to everyone again.

• Options
    Hi all , my first marathon so didn't know how I'd cope. The first half just seemed to be all uphill and very tough although passed the half way point in 2 hrs. From that point on though I really struggled and walked and ran in places. Spoke to some great people when walking and the marshalls were superb. Views were great but didn't always appreciate them. 23 miles in and got my second wind and it was great to see the rugby club from high up in the wood. Finished in 4.45 and chuffed to bits to have done it as at one point I had thought about quitting. Will definetly be there for next year and thanks to the lady in blue / black ribbon for encouragement etc.
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to do your race rating for this one! Mr milne doesn't need to attract more runners but it deserves to get on the RW 'top races' of 2010 list. I will do it later when I get home. Apart from 12 hours off yesterday I have been at work since Wednesday and they allowed me to go off 'for a rest' yesterday. It wasn't very restful- lol!
  • Options

Hi Guys,

The above post that Ian included was from me. However, must make it clear I wasn't the guy who collapsed near the end at the top of the last hill. As I arrived at the ambulance, they had just brought in a guy on a stretcher who looked in a bad way, struggled to walk etc. I retired at the water station at 19.25 miles and was brought to the amublance by car. Got to say though, the other guy actually recovered before me and I saw him walk away from the ambulance! As Ian says, it appears with heat exhaustion, once they cool you down and stabilise you, you soon recover. Cheers to one and all. As usual, great support and encouragement/concern from runners on the course.

Brian 

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    It's good to know you both survived! image
  • Options

I guess that you all know that the results are on the web site home page. Don't forget to refresh though.

I have already had a couple of amendments, which shall be corrected in the confirmed results, to be logged in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the supportive comments. They are much appreciated by our hard working water station people, cyclists, ambulance guys, starters, time keepers and recorders (phew, I think that's all of them). I'll let them all know.

Ian

• Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Mr milne- please correct my result. It says 5:28 but I think it should be 3:28. Thank you! image
  • Options

Despite the conditions, after Edinburgh last year I really thought I couldn't possibly have to face such a hot marathon in consecutive years.  However I must have struggled less than everybody else and completed totally elated in 47th place image

Anyway the main reason for commenting is on the marshalls,  thank you so much, you were brilliant.  Nothing was ever too much trouble and the care exhibited was heart warming.  The sponges were life savers.

Definitely want to race it next year, instead off switching to survival mode between 14 & 15 miles.

A race to be proud of running and if you were involved in organising the event very special.

Thank you.