Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• I won my first ever race last night!!!  Club Handicap 3 miles - 18:26, well chuffed.

I have been raising money for ActionAid after being fortunate to get a ballot place through my club rather than having to use my Gold Bond place (which Action Aid allocated to someone else). Have done alright fundraising but not going to hit the £1800 target  I would have had to have rasied. That would have been added pressure i could have well done without! I seldom use Facebook but posted on there just on the off chance I would pick up some unexpected donations but nothing as yet....

GFA is way forward - good luck with that Melissa....

• Awesome work DB... not only with the win but with the time. 18:26 surely equates to sub 19 for 5k! I haven't been down to my club for weeks!

Thanks  for your comments Bambi... yesterday's run was a little more encouraging and doing another LSR this weekend, albeit cautiously and slow and certainly not 22M... will see how that pans out - can't let my last LSR be a bad one... run on confidence.

Went for 7.22 miles yesterday in 59min, first 3 felt tough, just a bit rusty perhaps and not warmed up but last 4 felt better.

Would be nice to get a GFA (understand the time constraint have changed for 18-40 ... now 3:10) but don't think that's within my reach for now. On another note haven't done one marathon yet but was thinking about what's next and keeping the fitness in for the future - thought i'd enter another to give myself, just an option, for later in the year. Entered New York (nov 7) on their lottery system and have got a place! (appreciate you can go through a tour operator or on a charity place but wanted to run on my own terms) - could be good for a combined holiday!

Where's everyone starting by the way - i'm a Red Start.

Anyhow work calls, all the best.

• evening guys & gals.

Good effort DB9,  congrats,  you must be in reasonable shape if they gave you more of a generous handicap than you might normally get,  definite positive there.

think I'm on blue start lamkjo

Mel,  find yourself another race in about 4 weeks time to book in as a motivator.   10km is always a good one,   you get the chance to recover from the marathon for a couple of weeks and then having a couple of weeks putting in some speedier stuff whilst utilising the base fitness you've got.

When you're carbloading Jayos,  make sure you drink plenty too,  I think it's needed to help get the stores up from the food you're loading with,  I usually have post it notes everywhere for the 5 days beforehand reminding me to drink from sports bottle which is always to hand.

Gentle ish 2 hrs for me tomorrow,  about 15 miles,  and that will be the last double digit long mileage run.  Have a good weekend guys.

• Hi all,

DB9 - fantastic race.

About to go out on last LSR and was wondering what mileage to do! RW training plan says 18M but have read that maybe this is too long at this stage - what do you guys think / what are you doing, Jaffa sounds like you are going lower.

Also RW training plan suggests 12 M steady i.e race pace for next Sundays run but elsewhere are saying all runs with 2/52 to go should be slow (90 secs over race pace) unless doing short sharp speed work. It has all left me a little tapering confused!

Whats the verdict?

Mel.

• Doing 18ish today as I need the confidence - if you've banked some good long runs and a nice long run recently - like I think I recall you saying you did Mel - 22M, then i'd probably not do as much as 18M. Some of the runners on the Supersixer forums were suggesting about 15. Not running to any particulary pace, but plan to do it easily such that at the end feel as if I could run a few more miles and energy level wise - so that I can get on with my day, today and tomorrow feeling good... sign of a hard run for me, feeling knackered for a day or so after, with running, not preferable.
  • Thanks Lamkjo,

Just did 17 1/2 M and towards end right calf and buttock V tired and found it fairly tough.  Didn't push it today but found it difficult to run slower than 8 30 min mile up until end  few miles when above set in. So ................................................  I am asking myself is it

a) because it was a cross country run with nasty hills where as my 22 miler was quite flat

b) Wore shorts with compression socks today and have been wearing compression tights up till the 10 miler on Thursday when I wore shorts with no problem.  Do compression garments really work?

c) It was warm this morning although did not particularly feel hotter than usual, drank plenty and fuelled with gels as normal.

Was last long run so left feeling really uncertain for the big day - of course could also just have been an "off day"

Any comments from seasoned marathon runners welcome as am now discovering the flaws of being virgin (excuse the pun) marathon runner.  Hppe everyone else is doing well.

Mel

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Well done DB on your win!

Good luck to all of you doing the VLM and I hope you are enjoying your taper.

I’m not long back from my last LSR before my 23 day taper starts for Belfast. I decided to setup my Garmin so I couldn’t see my pace or time and just run the distance trying to keep my HR at around 70% WHR. I can’t believe I covered the 22 miles in 2:54:23 which is 7:55 pace! My average HR was exactly 70% and I felt strong throughout and could definitely have gone on. I’m extremely confident of breaking 3:30 for the first time although I just hope I haven’t over done it with that run.

I also just had my first ever ice bath which was fun in a masochistic sort of way!image

• Melissa... i'm no seasoned runner but i'd imagine points a) and c) are reasonable assumptions.

In support of the above, i'm just back from a 18.5 miler and I think the warmer conditions probably hindered me a little - for a start (and a side-issue for you) i'm an Eczema sufferer and heat makes me itch badly and my skin can get quite sore. But other than that, I definitely felt I had to work a little harder - does give me food for thought for VLM - if it was hot like last year. As another point i'm currently in Gatwick (away from home) and basically made up a route from Google and ran it - when i'm running somewhere unfamiliar for the first time, always feels a little harder due to the unknown.

Other than that, run was still quite tough, did it slow, ave 9mm, definitely not in good form but a lot better than last week and felt I could have run on for longer at the end. Will definitely taper like crazy now, with minimal easy runs.

Great run Badbark.

Oh... and one last point... unsure if I need to rethink the taper. With tapering I usually just run less to conserve energy but I feel this just makes me 'running rusty' (if that makes sense) and together with eating similar amounts and doing less exercise the weight gain's another negative factor. Think perhaps need to keep the frequency of runs up but cut back on the big mileages and keep much of the schedule nice and easy - no longer running to a set schedule now.

How's everyone else's tapers going?

• Evening all... sounds like things are going nicely (although also seems we have lost a few from this thread.... if you are still reading this,. hope things are ok).

My taper started as of today.... the guy that rights my training suggested another 22 for me this weekend...which obviously isnt in line with anything else you read, but I think he thought it might help my confidence... and he was probably right. Did it yesterday, took it easy and am now feeling more positive. The nice weather helps!

Melissa - I agree probably A and C.... London will seem so much easier...road and pretty flat!

Lamjko - I always run slower when I don't know whats coming! As for my taper, I think I continue pretty normally next week, without the long ones..and then just gentle 6 milers mainly the week before... I remember I put on a few pounds in the taper period last year!

• Nice run Bambi - if it's good for the confidence - can't be a bad thing. At the end of the day gotta do what's right for yourself. Got two weeks to taper now to get the 22 and all the heavy running out your legs!

Anyhow back to the excitement of another Saturday night in!

• Know what you mean...the excitement is too much... might head to bed soon!! 35, single and this is what life has come to!!! It will all be worth it on the 25th im sure?!

• oops and just realised I put 'rights', instead of 'writes' in a previous message...and I have A level english!!
  • ok so forget options a - c in my previous post.  OPTION D is looking very feasible - Woke up this morning with a stinking cold and a few swear words!  At least it is this week and not next and if my bad run yesterday was due to a cold then that would make sense.

However....... I hope it is a short cold that wont effect my performance on the 25th. It is head up and not on my chest so any recommendations for this coming tapering week? Did  easy 5 today and was not too bad should I run or not.  Think if I don't, will go nuts and feel worse.

P.s Bambi and lamkjo, my social life is also just as exciting and think all my friends are a bit sick of my OCD that has turned into ORD - obsessive running disorder.

Mel

• Hey guys and gals image

Just back from Blackpool, finished the half this morning in 1:36:50 which has given me a bit of a boost of confidence that I can crack this sub-3:30 in two weeks!

Melissa I wouldn't call myself a seasoned marathon runner but I'd agree with lamkjo and Bambi, a combination of A and C, and possibly and option D that you've trained hard over the last few months and it does catch up with you, the taper has come at the right time and some rest will do you good image

Cracking run DB9, winning a race must feel fantastic. Good training run too badbark, it's nice when it all seems to fall into place.

Now well and truly into the taper, going to try and get a good few steady runs in over the next week at MP just to get used to running at the right pace.

Carrot (green start)

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Carrot – Nice half marathon time which is ideal to break 3:30

Mellissa – Sorry to hear about your cold but if it’s above the neck it shouldn’t affect your marathon training. I’d recommend you continuing training as planned and only ease off if you are struggling.

Bambi- Great 22 miler and I know how you feel about confidence building.

Lamkjo – In regards to the taper I don’t think you should ease off too much until the week before the marathon. I do think you should decrease the mileage with 3 and 2 weeks to go but I believe it’s also important to keep the intensity. If you usually do 10x 800 Yasso’s mid week then I would do 6-8 with 3 weeks to go and 4-6 with 2 weeks to go for example. I understand completely what you mean about ‘running rusty’ and this is why I think a few medium/hard runs help sharpen you up.

• Just a quick hello to the rest of you, I've not been around this place too much recently - this work stuff sure gets in the way!

Traing all going to plan, did 16 at the weekend and it felt very easy compared to the longer runs in previous weeks.

Fairly busy this week with kids and work so not sure how much training will be done but I Intend to do some 800's probably as Badbark says, a few less then previous weeks.

Who else is at Blue Start then?

• given Badbark's thoughts, 4/5 run week planned for this week - usual elements but truncated. 2 runs down and things are a looking a little more promising - hope it continues.

5 miler yesterday. Taking it easy holding back - pace not spectacular for some of you (ave 8:40) but wasn't aiming to go fast, just to feel good - felt very comfortable.

Today, 5 x 800m, 1 mile warm up and warm down with 2 min recovery. (normally with the club it's 6-8 800m, with 2.5 mile warm up/down each way). Happy with this, didn't activate the pacing on my watch so splits a bit all over the place, but came out as 2:56, 3:01, 3:09, 3:10, 3:11. So progressively slower  which whilst not ideal, makes me happy the pace is still there. Normally aim for 800s at 6:10mm (3:05) give or take a few seconds. So around about best case scenario for me. Warm down was good, again comfortable pace, working out as 8min mile - seemed quite slow given the fast paced running.

Bambi - i'm on Red also, no 46652, Orange Sense vest. 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good 800’s lamkjo and great to hear that 8 m/m pace feels quite slow for you. They’re both good pointers for a sub 3:30 which must give you plenty of confidence.

I hope you manage to get your 800’s run Dan.

I know this is a 3:30 thread but does anyone have any specific goals they are aiming for?

I’m aiming for 3:28 or 3:29 in Belfast and not a minute more or less. I’ve a second marathon 28 days after the first and even if I have plenty in the tank going into the last 6 miles I intend to hold back. Of course with a PB of only 3:48 it’s more likely I’ll be struggling over the last few miles. My fall back goals are a sub 3:40 and a new PB if things go really wrong.

• Blue for me.

Bloody cold still hanging around, frustrating because feel ok in myself just full of cold and desperate to run to the best of my ability on the 25th. 

So want to hit my goal time which is anything sub 3.30 but failing that if I can get sub 3.45 which would give me a GFA place for next year, that would be a small consolation.

Dosing up on vit c, zinc and echinacea.  Hot honey and lemon without the whisky tonight. Any other suggestions.  If I can get rid of it over the next few days that would give me 10 days clear before the big race.  Am really anxious though that this may not be the case.

Keep up the good tapering guys,

Mel

• Melissa: hope things improve for you soon... in light of colds/flu - lemsip max works for me and that's the only remedy I really use. However my mother uses hot honey and lemon and I was given hot whisky and cloves by a flatmate once.

Badbark: Expectations for the marathon a bit unknown and I expect they will keep changing. After today happy with the leg speed however last couple of long runs haven't been great and unsure of the endurance. Last but one long run was so bad, was even unsure if i'd have made it round the course running and thought sub-4 may even be a struggle. Will try for sub 3:30 but sub 3:45 wouldn't be too bad if not possible (1st marathon after all). Race has a 8mm pacer, so may stubbornly try and stick with the pacer. I hear the course is very flat or even slightly downhill for the first few miles so, tempting to go off a little faster I guess and run the first half a little faster than the 2nd.... we shall see.

• Morning all...and good running...

Melissa - Im afraid I don't have any miracle cold cures to share but hope it gets better soon.

As for my expectations, anything sub 3.30 for me. Unfortunately I dont have a back up goal so could end up disappointed, but having run 3.30.17 in my first marathon last year I know I will be quite gutted if I dont beat it! Based on my training I think it could be a close call!

Lamkjo - will check my number and let you know. I will probably be in a Larkfield AC vest. I went with the 8 minute mile pacer last year and it helped loads. Meant I could just relax and enjoy the atmosphere without clock watching. I messed up a bit at the end hence the 17secs! My first mile last year was about 9 minutes due to the crowds so you may be prevented from going off too fast....and I dont think there is any point wasting energy trying to dodge round people. The route is busy pretty much all the way and there is the odd narrower bit, so you do have to take into account the fact you may be slowed up in some parts too.

• Mel,  the cold should be gone by 10 days time so don't worry unnecessarily,  keep dosing up on the vitamins etc,  get plenty of fluid in you and plenty of sleep too.  I had a cold for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the year,  it stayed off my chest so I ran a 10 mile race with it and beat the previous year's time by about 10 seconds,  Heart Rate was probably a bit high throughout but I managed to race fine so here's hoping it won't impact you adversely.

Blue start for me as well,  hoping for a Pen 3 slot which I think is fairly standard for a Sub 3:30 time on entry form,  there could be a few of us in there!

Badbark / lamkjo,  however miserable it sounds I have to say I find the pacers a bit of a pain in the ar*e,  had the misfortune of being stuck behind the group following an 8min mile pacer a few years back and there were so many of them spread across the road it was a nightmare,  I ended up speeding up my pace to go past them and try and get a clearer bit of road.
    The one bit of advice I would have is to follow the blue line as much as possible rather than swerving around trying to find spaces,  it'll keep you as close to the 26.2miles as possible rather than adding an extra 1/2 mile onto your race distance.

As for targets,  I've only ever been under 3:30 once, which was a 3:25 PB,  after a 3:31 last year the sub 3:30 is the true goal but I'll be disappointed if I'm over 3:36,   will be ecstatic with a new PB,  we'll see how it goes on the day though,  the advantage of 3 target times is that it allows you to keep aiming for one of them even if the ultimate may be out of reach.

• Hello you lot.

Ive just had a look at the long range weather forecast for Marathon weekend and it's looking good so far.

Looks like it's going to be cool with below average temperatures!
  • Hi folks

Question off the back of Bambi's previous comment about congestion at the start.

I think i'm gonna have pretty much free reign of the Pens from 2 upwards - was a bit over-optimistic with my expected time last year and am expecting Pen 2. Whilst I don't want to be out of my depth with everyone passing me, I equally want to minimise being held up (thinking of requesting a put back to Pen 3). Whilst Pen 3 would be appropriate and am happy with the pace, given the mention of congestion at the start, i'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to stick with Pen 2 - could go right to the back of the Pen and am happy to run a few faster miles at the start to get ahead of the congestion before cutting back when things settle down a bit. There are always people who over-estimate their times - see it at half-maras and it drives me crazy - wouldn't want to be one of those irritants.

Any thoughts?

btw Bambi - are you a Red start GFA?

• Evening all... been a while!!!

Seems everyones pretty much where there need to be in terms of preparedness (is that a word... Bambi, put your A level to good use please).

I've been getting through the training... just. A combination of kids, holidays, work etc... have meant that time has been a problem.

Ran for my club (Lingfield RC) last week in the East Surrey league and was pleased with 4.4 miles in 29 mins (6.35 mi/ml).

Decided to run 15 last Sunday at Marathon pace and ended up doing it in 1 hr 57 mins (7.50 mi/ml pace), and amazingly this felt easy(ish).

Just done 12 x 200m hills and my legs feel like jelly now as i missed my last hill session due to injury and i think this is payback time !!!!!!!!!! Also to top things off, have just got my first GREAT BIG BLISTER... WITH JUST OVER A WEEK TO GO... GREAT !

• Hi guys

Hope all is well with everyone,   good stuff Oompa don't forget to take it easy now though!

lamkjo,  back of Pen2 will be fine for you,  the pens are approx 100mtres from the start line anyway so when people filter forward from them to nearer the start line there is some natural movement both backwards and forwards.

Did my final long (?) run today,  about 10.5 miles in about 87 mins which is fine.  Legs were tired but I've not had a full rest day from any activity for about 11 days now so am looking forward to a relaxing weekend.  Have got final pre race sports massage tonight which will be very painful but hopefully will get rid of any little niggles.

Enjoy your final longish runs this weekend for all of you who are going out.

• Good to see you back Oompa... and yes, as odd as it sounds preparedness is a word! Sounds like things are going well too image

Lamkjo - yes I am red start GFA and my number is 30402.

Agree re the blue line Jaffa.... could be very easy to waste time, energy and distance swerving in and out.

Very steady  7 for me this evening. 5 mile time trial in the morning..not sure why, just doing as Im told! Then something between 10 and 15 easy on Sunday. Next week Im just doing a few steady 6s. Going to head to the Excel Thursday evening I think.  

Can't seem to think about anything else at the moment.... and Im sure friends are looking forward to me having another topic conversation other than training!

• Hi Guys,

Glad to hear most of us are fit and well.  My cold is improving but now have really annoying tickly cough.  Have adapted RW schedule slightly - did my hill runs today on a how do I put it " gentle hill" but enough to challenge my legs. Irony of having a cold is that my legs feel great just head / nose that doesn't, no aches and pains or waking up in the morning with tight calves

Finding tapering really hard, feels so unatural not to be running high mileage (despite the cold) and am really missing it! Have been very disciplined though and have not done more than I should. 

Can anyone advise me on this Sundays long run (if I am well enough) RW schedule says 12 M marathon pace, have no problem with the mileage but other reading I have done suggests that so close to the race, marathon pace for this distance is inadviseable.  Was thinking perhaps first and last 4 miles at MP with easy 4 miles in between - any suggestions. Also really truly should I do as little as the plan says for next week it will drive me crackers!

Can't wait now, really excited and like you Bambi think my friends are sick of marathon talk! Just need to be completely rid of the cold and will then be one happy bunny.

• Common advise at this stage Mel is that you can do too much but can't do too  little.

Whether you do 10m or 12m makes no difference and in all reality whether you go Mara pace or MP+10secs shouldn't matter a great deal either.

Perhaps build into it MP+20secs for 4 miles, MP +10 secs for 4 miles, MP for 2 miles, MP-15 secs for final 2 miles?  Will be a nice little sharpener run but shouldn't kill your legs too much.

Lie in this morning which was nice but seem to have developed a sniffly nose and tickly throat,  I'm telling myself it's just early onset of hayfever.  Large smoothie for breakfast today and will up the zinc & Vit C to make sure this doesn't develop.