Options

Delayed/Lost Baggage

Hi,

Are there any BA or travel people out there who can advise me on compensation for delayed (but not yet lost I hope!) baggage.

We travelled out of LHR yesterday to Houston and they have left our bags behind!? Is there any compensation for having to buy necessities? Change of clothes, toiletries etc.

I have been on the BA website and they seem to be a bit 'woolly' in what they tell you, ie, not really sure how long it has to be delayed before you are entitled to compensation for new clothes.

If anybody out there has any experience or first hand knowledge I would be really grateful

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Do you have travel insurance?  They should reimburse you for anything you don't get back from BA. 

For completely lost baggage the maximum pay out used to be £14 per kilo, but I have a feeling that has changed recently. 

Definitely keep receipts for all expenditure you hope to be able to claim back, whether from the airline or your insurance. 

Hope your bags turn up! 

• Options

Go to the nearest BA travel office and hassle them.  Keep hassling them until they agree to compensate you.  I was in a similar situation some years ago when we had a toddler with us and we made them pay for clothing, formula milk, nappies, etc.  We had to wait a few hours, but once they realised we weren't letting it go and that our need was genuine they capitulated.

Good luck!

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, TS, your luck is not improving, is it?!
  • Options
    You need to check your travel insurance policy.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, will chase BA, I know the weather was crap but the debacle at LHR T5 yesterday was a joke. I try to 'fly the flag' but honestly they couldn't organise a dog on a lead! Our situation isn't dire, I just wanted an idea of the 'rules'
  • Options
    If or when they find the baggage, they may charge you to forward it on. 
  • Options

Insurance is a last resort - the airline would rather you claimed so that they won't have to honour their responsibility.  Don't let them charge you for forwarding it either - that is just taking the p*ss.  Your ticket is a contract.  They have breached that contract.  BA is on its last legs - they can do without bad publicity.  Threaten to go to the Daily Mail (they love this sort of thing) and they will cave image

• Options
    We had a similar situation a few years ago when we flew with BA. We flew to Iceland but my wife's bag went to Morocco! Apparently Rekjavik is REK and Marakesh is RAK, or something like that. It took five weeks (!) to get her case back. Technically it wasn't lost, it just wasn't in the right place as they knew its location at all times. From memory, I think it is the Oslo Convention (or something like that) that places a maximum limit on the airlines liability to a tad over £100. We couldn't claim on the travel insurance as there hadn't actually been any loss. We arrived in Iceland and all my wife had was the clothes she was wearing. We had to buy absolutely everything for her, including another case for her to carry the new clothes home in. Iceland is not a cheap place to buy clothes...

Very frustrating.....

BA did eventually fly the case back and it as delivered by courier to our house.. only five weeks too late!