Ban Striking

Comments

• Striking the ground is a deliberate act by actually running.  You cant run without leaving contact with the ground and then coming back into contact with it.  And contact is a word they use in boxing too, when one boxer strikes/hits their opponent.

• "Strike" doesn't "insinuate" anything.... at a push it might "imply" something....

• Kryten wrote (see)

Look it's pretty simple really . You don't try to strike the ground, instead you try to miss the ground completely, but you must fail to do this thus landing on the ground unintentionally.

Don't worry Ricky - I'll explain it to them.

All clear to me now!  image
  • Track spikes are designed for forefoot running with barely any heel contact -great for stride length and speed but hard to sustain when bringing news about a distant (26.2miles) battle on foot round a vase,

I'm a forefoot "striking" supinator and I think it does spread impact through the ankles.  Also, by touching down rather than braking with the heel there is better momentum. The downside is a tendency to arch strains and it is useless for a marathon where low lift  and is most economical.

btw are you scandinavian Ricky? if so. maybe you have some tips about running on ice...perhaps using blades and teeth but only using toes to stop??

• Hey Ricky.  What happened?  Weren't you having a good time on your original thread on this subject?

Tell me, Ricky, are you so thick skinned that you're oblivious to our p1ss taking or so stupid that you think you have discovered something revolutionary or useful to runners?

• The terminology of striking insinuates the imparting of force to something. The landing foot is not trying to impart force to or into the ground.
  • Wildrunner im not Scandinavian. First time ive heard of anyone running on ice in a serious manner. Sounds like an adventure. Good luck! 
  • Maybe this is a bit of a physics lesson for you Ricky, but how do you move without trying to impart some kind of force on the ground?

Ever hear of Newton? 

1: In the absence of a force a body remains at rest (or travels in a straight line at constant speed)
    2: FORCE = mass x acceleration (which i'm sure you'll agree is necessary to at least start running?)
    3: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction (i.e. your muscles push exerting a force which makes you and the ground move relative to each other).

But then again Greek pottery was around ages before modern science, so it must be superior.....

• So if I strike up a conversation with my neighbour I'm actually having a fight with him? I don't think so.

• genesis 3:15 - and you will strike his heel.
  • I'm going to strike a pose.
  • Hiya everyone

Ricky good to see your moving around the site Im sure the guys and gals on Tri will be thrilled to have you around

Anyway you say that forefoot striking is the preferred method of running could you provide some proof please at least Chi, Evo,Pose etc back their claims with evidence even if its the vaguest. 

I know you love pottery but weve seen those pieces of data but they dont really cover it.

• Striking is a totaly different thing.

Is it not a huddle of men around a brazier outside of the factory gates.

• Strike while the iron is hot Brothers !
  • So if I were to say (for example) that a woman looks striking, what I really mean is that she looks as though she has been hit by something? image

Ricky B I think you've been struck by something......possibly a meteorite

• Yorkshire Rob wrote (see)

So if I were to say (for example) that a woman looks striking, what I really mean is that she looks as though she has been hit by something? image

Ricky B I think you've been struck by something......possibly a meteorite

No - you got it wrong, it's normal for a woman to look striking. She's the one doing the hitting. Just don't stand in the way.
  • It seems that stike may be usable in more than one context. I've only included the first 25 out of 77 given on dictionary.com

Interesting that in baseball a strike happens with the ball isn't hit. I like to think that the definition that best fits my foot STRIKE is No.5 image 

–verb (used with object) 1.to deal a blow or stroke to (a person or thing), as with the fist, a weapon, or a hammer; hit.2.to inflict, deliver, or deal (a blow, stroke, attack, etc.).3.to drive so as to cause impact: to strike the hands together. 4.to thrust forcibly: Brutus struck a dagger into the dying Caesar. 5.to produce (fire, sparks, light, etc.) by percussion, friction, etc.6.to cause (a match) to ignite by friction.7.(of some natural or supernatural agency) to smite or blast: Lightning struck the spire. May God strike you dead! 8.to come into forcible contact or collision with; hit into or against: The ship struck a rock. 9.to reach or fall upon (the senses), as light or sound: A shrill peal of bells struck their ears. 10.to enter the mind of; occur to: A happy thought struck him. 11.to catch or arrest (the sight, hearing, etc.): the first object that strikes one's eye. 12.to impress strongly: a picture that strikes one's fancy. 13.to impress in a particular manner: How does it strike you? 14.to come across, meet with, or encounter suddenly or unexpectedly: to strike the name of a friend in a newspaper. 15.to come upon or find (oil, ore, etc.) in drilling, prospecting, or the like.16.to send down or put forth (a root), as a plant or cutting.17.to arrive at or achieve by or as by balancing: to strike a balance; to strike a compromise. 18.to take apart or pull down (a structure or object, as a tent).19.to remove from the stage (the scenery and properties of an act or scene): to strike a set. 20.Nautical. a.to lower or take down (a sail, mast, etc.).b.to lower (a sail, flag, etc.) as a salute or as a sign of surrender.c.to lower (something) into the hold of a vessel by means of a rope and tackle.21.Falconry. to loosen (a hood) from the head of a hawk so that it may be instantly removed.22.Angling. a.to hook (a fish that has taken the bait) by making a sharp jerk on the line.b.(of a fish) to snatch at (the bait).23.to harpoon (a whale).24.(in technical use) to make level or smooth.25.to make level or even, as a measure of grain or salt, by drawing a strickle across the top.
  • Mark Duffy wrote (see)

It seems that stike may be usable in more than one context. I've only included the first 25 out of 77 given on dictionary.com

Interesting that in baseball a strike happens with the ball isn't hit. I like to think that the definition that best fits my foot STRIKE is No.5 image

–verb (used with object) 1.to deal a blow or stroke to (a person or thing), as with the fist, a weapon, or a hammer; hit.2.to inflict, deliver, or deal (a blow, stroke, attack, etc.).3.to drive so as to cause impact: to strike the hands together. 4.to thrust forcibly: Brutus struck a dagger into the dying Caesar. 5.to produce (fire, sparks, light, etc.) by percussion, friction, etc.6.to cause (a match) to ignite by friction.7.(of some natural or supernatural agency) to smite or blast: Lightning struck the spire. May God strike you dead! 8.to come into forcible contact or collision with; hit into or against: The ship struck a rock. 9.to reach or fall upon (the senses), as light or sound: A shrill peal of bells struck their ears. 10.to enter the mind of; occur to: A happy thought struck him. 11.to catch or arrest (the sight, hearing, etc.): the first object that strikes one's eye. 12.to impress strongly: a picture that strikes one's fancy. 13.to impress in a particular manner: How does it strike you? 14.to come across, meet with, or encounter suddenly or unexpectedly: to strike the name of a friend in a newspaper. 15.to come upon or find (oil, ore, etc.) in drilling, prospecting, or the like.16.to send down or put forth (a root), as a plant or cutting.17.to arrive at or achieve by or as by balancing: to strike a balance; to strike a compromise. 18.to take apart or pull down (a structure or object, as a tent).19.to remove from the stage (the scenery and properties of an act or scene): to strike a set. 20.Nautical. a.to lower or take down (a sail, mast, etc.).b.to lower (a sail, flag, etc.) as a salute or as a sign of surrender.c.to lower (something) into the hold of a vessel by means of a rope and tackle.21.Falconry. to loosen (a hood) from the head of a hawk so that it may be instantly removed.22.Angling. a.to hook (a fish that has taken the bait) by making a sharp jerk on the line.b.(of a fish) to snatch at (the bait).23.to harpoon (a whale).24.(in technical use) to make level or smooth.25.to make level or even, as a measure of grain or salt, by drawing a strickle across the top.

NIce! I take it you had a bit of free time image, My favourite is no. 7

If no. 16 applies to a runner then they must be running too hard!!

• The first four entires of that dictionary posting above very much support the original post.
  • So, you want to thrust your feet forcibly into the ground?

Them bones, them bones.
  • Ricky Bennison wrote (see)
    The first four entires of that dictionary posting above very much support the original post.

Not the other 73 then?

• 4 out of 24, not bad, only 20 meanings that don't.

Here are a few more...
    It means:-
    'to deliver'; 'to come to or cause'; 'to press'; 'to indicate'; 'to render'; 'to affect or cause to affect deeply'; 'to enter the mind of'; 'to be perceived by'; 'to arrive at or come upon'; 'to set (out) or proceed, esp upon a new course'; 'to discover'; '(of a plant) to produce or send down (a root or roots)'; 'to take apart or pack up; break'; 'to take down or dismantle'; 'to form or impress (a coin, metal, etc) by or as if by stamping'; ' to win, strike it rich, strike lucky'; 'rowing to make (a certain number of strokes) per minute'; 'to reach by agreement'; 'to assume or take up'; 'to level (a surface) by use of a flat board'; 'to impale the hook in the mouth of (a fish) by suddenly tightening or jerking the line after the bait or fly has been taken'; 'nautical a) to lower or remove (a specified piece of gear) b) to haul down or dip (a flag, sail, etc) in salute or in surrender c) to lower (cargo, etc) into the hold of a ship';
  • ferking hell.........
  • Strike as in to hit something forcibly is the most common modern usage.

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

We are now much better informed about the meaning of the word, if not actually any the wiser for it.
    How will this influence how we run?

I will admit that I have seen treadmill runners who have been really stomping along, and they would very likely hurt themselves in the unlikely event that they ever did run on road. However I'm pretty sure they have never been told anything about how to run let alone been told about striking the ground.

• Ricky Bennison wrote (see)

Strike as in to hit something forcibly is the most common modern usage.

I disagree.

Strike as striking a match - something I do every day. Strike as in he or she strikes me as - very frquent. Strike as in to hit, not something I ever use or say. If it's related to boxing then it's jargon that I don't use.
    I can not agree that using the word strike to mean hit is the most common modern usage of the word.

• What strikes me most is that the author may be suffering from tunnel vision.

• Without wanting to intrude on a private argument, I do shy away from using the expression "foot strike" just because "strike" seems too vigorous.
  • after all that bloody lot I feel stricken.