Ban Striking

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

are you on some kind of wacky windup challenge to get the words strike, infer, place and insinuate into your writing as often as possible?

Why in blazes are you on a running website arguing the toss about incorrect use of words?

• Stevie G, surely you're not 'placing' your faith in logic image
  • But if you plant a plant do you get double marks?
  • Because he's a lunatic stevie

and incidently Ricky, impact doesn't necessarily translate into injury. A large proportion of running injuries are caused by torsional forces acting on soft tissues, over use or a combination of the two.

Pure impact injuries tend to be limited to trauma injuries such as broken bones, ruptured ligaments and dislocations etc.

• Excessive impact as insinuated by the term striking does increase the chances of injury. Much better to place your foot on the ground.
  • Surely that is walking and I thought this was a running forum?
  • I cannot believe this thread is still going image
  • Nice video Moraghan. Which side of the fence are you. A placer of the foot or a striker of the foot?
  • Does it matter what it's called?

Who cares?
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Run soft, run tall. 

The semantics don't interest me in the slightest.  image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Walk tall, walk straight and look the world right in the eye
    That's what my mama told me when I was about knee high
    She said son, be a proud man and hold your head up high
    Walk tall, walk straight and look the world right in the eye

I believe this advice to be concurrent with the running equivalence.

(*wibble*)

• Ricky Bennison wrote (see)
    Excessive impact as insinuated by the term striking does increase the chances of injury. Much better to place your foot on the ground.

Please provide proper evidence to prove this and I will agree with you, until then.....

I agree that running lighter is more efficient, and I do actually believe that it may affect the rates of injury but it has not been conclusively proven by anyone to reduce the risk of injury as yet.

Incidently, by "evidence" I mean proper scientific research or studies, not drawings on pots, cave paintings, sculptures, or any other form of ancient art. Please be sensible.

• It matters what it is called as the manner which the foot is placed on the ground is fundamental to a runners technique. To say a runner is trying to strike, a word which commonly means to impact hard, the ground is confusing for all concerned. Advanced runners may know well enough to take the term with a large pinch of salt but for beginners it represents a health risk as they may seek to implement that which is implicit in the most common usage of the term. To cause hard impact to something. That is why the term place or placement of the foot should be used whether it be front foot and toes placement forefoot placement or even heel placement. 

• Is it idiot month or something, all the trolls back at once. Ricky have you any other ideas about running? other than being pedantic or showing us pictures of pots?

How has your training been going? (assuming you are a runner if you're posting on Runners World)

• Honestly Ricky, it's just you.  Nobody else makes the same interpretation of the terminology.

Presumably you have an ASD diagnosis?  Maybe just accept that this is one of those instances where evrybody else sees the world in a slightly different way than you do. 

You go ahead and think "placement", and everybody else will think "striking", without the implication that they have to try to kick holes in the tarmac with every step.  Then everybody's happy! 

• But heel placement just doesn't have the same ring to it as heel striking does it???  I'm a heel first kinda gal and heel placement would suggest that I have a plan as to exactly where my foot is going to go when really I dont mind just as long as it lands on firm ground.
  • I thought about this thread a few weeks back.  I was watching a program on the Beeb which was Michael Johnson (who knows a thing or 2 about running) talking to and analysing Usan Bolts running.  Johnson runs a performance academy, coaching many top athletes from distance runners (Paula Radcliff goes there) to power athletes, sprinters, NFL players etc.  Anyway, when he was analysing Usan Bolts stride, he used the term foot strike.  So I'll go with the former Olympic and World champion and current 400m world record holder thanks very much.

As an aside, Johnson said that Bolt's technique was terrible and lamented at what he could actually achieve if he got hold of Bolt and trained him properly.

• I think I watched the same doc BDB, it was very good. I've heard quite a few people say that about Bolt's technique, which does make his potential seem quite mind boggling. But then people criticised Michael Johnson's technique, and of course Paula's nodding head, which does make you wonder whether all errors must be corrected.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "Johnson said that Bolt's technique was terrible"

says a bloke who's own running style was open to question with his upright Jesse Owen style approach! whatever - they are both frigging quick, biomechanically perfect or not

anyways - is this thread's author a contender for the pedant of the year award??
  • The program did acknowledge Johnson's running style too.  I think the main concern with waste of energy in the first phase of the race.  Too much sideways movement apparently.  Also, Bolt's mental drive isn't really there either.  Incredible he does what he does really.

I'll second your proposal FB image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    if you want to look at a smooth sprinting style then try and find some youtube videos for an old Russian sprinter - - Valery Borzov - who won 100m and 200m gold in the 1972 Olympics

many reckon he had probably the best sprinting style of all - a very smooth runner
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Strike, placement, whatever.  You're all wrong.  When I'm running and my foot comes into contact with the ground it's more of a caress. Sometimes you can hear the earth sigh. Honestly, it's like ballet!