Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    have a good time in Scotland ready for Mondays race now they have food on sale all day at The Rubgy club which is good
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

well thats me signed up, so i better get my running shoes back on and make the most of the summer.

See you at the start line Angie!!!

•   Hi folks,saw Micknphil at Chester marathon, offered to lend a hand pushing up a bridge but he politely declined my help,what an inspiration to all the runners,he never stopped encouraging everyone.

I got a blister after just 8 miles,left foot chaffing against the side of the shoe asics gel-1140.imageThey replaced my asics gel-nimbus and kayano 15.Will not wear them again after this even though they were perfect for the Uttoxeter Half.

Think I will go back to nimbus,they were great,not much time to break them in for the potters arf.

I am still trying to get a medal , 2.18 last year v.hot. Did 1.53 at Uttoxeter so hoping to do under 2.00 this time.Don't want it hot though.The support is brilliant,the best in the land,so hoping they drive me on.

Those doing this the first timeimage ,well you have picked a good one, but not the fastest,take it in your stride,soak up the atmosphere and you will get hooked on running.All the best.see you thereimage

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    WOF

I was in that great marathon 3h59 finished in was number 850

I have asics-gel and no trouble as I had twin socks on and had vaslined all my feet well it was my 4th marathon

got up today with just a bit of ache in the legs so going for a jog soon
  •  Ash 1

I always vasaline my feet, never had any problems before, I am feeling great myself ,just a sore blister.

I was number 125, got a transfer from Kelly Dodds,finished 4hr27.slowed down after 20 miles.

I think I may have done my trainers in doing cross training over fields,need a pair of trial shoes for that.

Did lochness O.K. in October in my old asics-gel nimbus,no blisters.Doing it again this Oct.

I have run the old Potters Marathon many times It was a tough one but brill support from the crowds.

You did well to finish under 4hrs,good running.imageAnd yes, good running socks make all the difference

Will go a jog out tomorrow. 

• W O F

im doing lochness in oct too

what is it like? ive just done the edinburgh marathon and it was so damn hot, im hoping to knock 30 mins off that time and be around 4.45. i was just zapped by the heat.image

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Just got my number for this race...1145.

Looking forward to it abit more now. Do we not get a medal if we finish outside 2hrs?

• Everyone gets a medal this year
  • My number has come too. Which is cool, as I said I'd collect on day, & didn't enclose a sae!
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    WFO

I had heard rummors that Leeds mararthon might be held in the furture but Chester was great
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    should have said Leeds held again last run in 2003
  • had my last race tonight before Potters so now can look forward to it properly.

first time reading this forum and I'd echo pretty much everything that's been said for anyone doing this for the first time - it is quite tough on the 2 hills but be sensible and you'll be alright, and if you need to walk up Milton there's absolutely no shame in that. Of all the HM I've done this has to my mind by far the best support and atmosphere and is a "must do" race for me every year.

Just can't believe they didn't take it into account when they were doing the world cup fixtures, England game the night before is going to be a tempter for a beer or two... Bet there'll be plenty regretting a night on the ale come June 13th. image

• Not looked at this thread for AAAAaaages and its ran away with out me since i last posted on it.  Must bash to work now but will post later

• Question!!!

Does every one who finishes get a medal?  I sure it said you do but with some posts on hear saying they expect to get a silver/bronze medal i was just wondering if you get a bronze even if you finish it?

Any help will be gratefull...

• Sub 1.30 is Gold, sub 1.45 is Silver, Sub 2 hours is Bronze. 2+ hours get a different medal this year. In previous years anyone over 2 hours didnt get a medal but do this year.
  • would love a bronze but dont think my legs have got it in them yet image
  • Sub 2hrs for a bronze.........I did the liverpool half in 2hrs 30secs approx!!

TBH i dont expect a bronze, i havnt done many LSR's and so i have been told the course is harder than the GNR which i did in 2hrs08min??secs but hay hoy hears wishing and once i get past the 4mile hill i have been warned about i will have a better idea how its going to pan out, also got to bear in mind the heat.........excuses excuses alreadyimage

• Theres a cracking hill around 11 miles aswell  imageimage
  • Hello all ,
    Looking forward to my 5th pop at this one , never got under 2 on it yet but have on many other halfs , I always seem to be just short of the training needed as is the same this year as after a long lay off I'm getting back to fitness .
    I'll probably (weather permitting) be finished around 2-2.10
    the year I did come close was in 2006 when I finished in 2.02.33 largely thanks to the boiling 28-29°c temps that day.
    But as tough as this course is , it's a great half that's gone from strength to strength .
    You WILL be tired but more so you'll be glad that you made the effort thanks to the super stokie inhabitants !!!
  • im hoping for anywhere under 2hrs 10

if the weather is hot hot hot then im going for a get round in one piece image

my pb is 2.02 got that in peterborough last year only been close to it once since im usually 2.05-07

• I no there is 2 major hills, one at 4 mile and the other at 11 mile but does any one no how 'long' these hills are ie, half a mile/mile long.........Was thinking of walking up the hills IF its too hot so i dont burn myself out for a sprint finish image

• Barney - I'd say that both the largest hill are about .35-.5 miles long I think , or maybe it's just that they seem long .
    You should manage a sprint finish as the last few hundred yards after the last roundabout is down hill.
  • woo im in - better late than never! hope my pack comes in time.
    sounds like a good race - fingers crossed for some clouds i think!

• Did the last of my long run training on Sunday which comprised of the Westbridge 5 in 41.34 then ran from Stone back to Stoke 8.21 miles in 1.22.55 , I'm tired but pleased with my efforts, should all going well finish just over the 2 hour mark at the pots .
    Oh yeah and I too are wishing for much clouds !!!
  • Registered yesterday - first time and I can't wait! Have been inspired by my boyfriend who, up until the Stoke 2010k had never run more than 5k but is now confident he can make it round 13.1miles. I've done a lot more running than him, so felt that if he can do it so can I! Looking forward to the great crowd support for which this race is known, and hoping for a cool breeze image
  • Afternoon all , I've just been on the pots arf website and for those of you still deciding wether to run this or not , there is going to be entry on the day according to the statement below....

Late entry-entries on the day
    There will be entries on the day at this years race, race entries is just past the finish in Hanley please try and be early

• Good luck everyone. I'm off to Scotland for the week, heading back next Sat for this one.

I'll be the blonde bird at the back in mad coloured trousers & yellow Stockport 10 t-shirt. image

• Lets hope the weather is cool for once!

I'm going to have a run up anchor road tonight

• Bit of a dodgy question to ask but, im only staying in a dump of a hotel and would like a massage after the race (i do normaly have one after a half), as my hotel dont offer this can any one local recommend some where?