Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

Comments

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    I'll have to remember to look up next time I think there are no mile markers then image
  • they could be anyhwere could'nt they image
  • just to echo what a lot of other posters have already said, what fantastic support virtually all the way round. Apart from London marathon I've not come across anything like it on any other event.

the oranges, jelly babies, hosepipe showers and water-shooter drenching all much appreciated even if it wasn't quite as hot as last few years

count me in for next June image

• My boyfriend and I just did this for the first time (2hr15) - it was awesome! The support and unofficial water stations throughout the course really made it and helped so much in getting us round. Thanks especially to the men with hose pipes on Milton Road and in Abbey Hulton, and to the enthusiastic crowd with sponges outside Bethel Church (also in Abbey)!
  • ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Pics are out here

There's over 7000 pics and it looks like they're still uploading more

• oy yeh, this event has always been awsome and well supported

even the old Potteries FM, which took in much of this very route

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Another plus for the race was the accuracy of the mile markers and course length. I measured 13.12 and you cant grumble at that, not when there are so many races that have dubious measurements.
  • yeh, i had to laugh, i saw 1 mile marker, then saw 4 miles, and thought naa - until i looked at my watch

where the hell 2,3, went i dont know - i must have been in a dream world image 

• thats the best way to run, i love losing some markers makes you feel loads better image
  • Does anyone know where the FULL results list can be found please..?
  • go back to page 9 on here and theres a link image
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

great run - enjoyed it loads despite not being able to get the missus round under 2h - she got a 2.06 - but i think she really hates me now as i kept trying to push her but i think coming from your partner is a recipie for disaster. Really enjoyed having a laugh on the way round with a guy from Biddulph with no top on - if you know him let me know who he was - enjoyed stopping to get blasted from water pistols and hose pipes. Apologes to all those a ran past on Milton Hill shouting 'Come On', I know many of you where in pain!! A great day despite not running it flat out - will deffo run again and try and set my own time as i think it could be a fast course.

• Well done to all those who made it round the course , The support was absolutely FANTASTIC it gets better year on year !!!

I made it round just outside my predicted time zone of 2-2.10 in 2.10.55 so i'm not too deflated .

I'll be back again for attempt 6 next year !!!!!!!!

•     Its great to see everyone enjoyed this race.I managed to get my bronze medal at 1.58. for the first      time in recent years,so well chuffed image.

Had to power walk up Milton road, imageand was really glad to meet the hose pipe and sponge,kept jelly babys with me in my belt and they certainly helped me feel better.

Great time Micknphil,well done Angie Gill and a good first run Amanda P.

You can all take a bow when you finish this one.Last year the heat killed me 2.17. image.

Great silver Valley,I must try for that next year I will be a lot younger then.

I didn't join my mates in the pub for the England match ,stayed at home with Mrs wings, im too easily tempted to have a beer.

Angie G ,Lochness is tough and beautiful.First we had hail stones image.then it cleared, but a cold wind a blowing.Soon warmed up with running and felt good half way 2.02. I got cramp in both legs at 20 miles.

Slowed down, walked the hills and enjoyed the scenery ,some runners were taking photo's of the loch.I think i'll take my mobile this time and do the same.image.Finished in 4.50.Chester took 4.27.but I did not walk at all.

Chester marathon will take in sights of the City next year ,they say it will be bigger and better.

Keep smiling in your training and see you all at another race soon.image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Thanks Wings, cracking improvement for you on last year, well done.

For the locals there's another half coming up on 4th July link

I've not done it myself but I'm told it's a small rural race, about 200 entrants with 3 small (1 mile) off road sections and a lot easier than the Potters.

I was planing on a 13 mile training run that weekend anyway so reckon I'd benefit more from a race than plodding round my normal route.

• Well done to you all - I've enjoyed reading your posts and it's easy to see how much you seemed to enjoy yesterday (if enjoy is the right word following the 'climb' up Milton Road!)

Great event, great organisation, great support, great runners and fundraisers taking part. Makes you proud to come from the Potteries!

• Thanks Valley , looking at at Shifnal now, think I will give it a try on 4th July.
  • Well done everyone looks like you all had a good one.image

I had a great race 13th, 2nd V40 and 4 mins faster than last year 1.20.34.image

I love this race it's got everything, will be back next year looking for a sub 1.20 and a top 10 finish.image

• wings of fire, im going for the scenery and then hopefully get under 5hrs image

my OH will be there volunteering so im hoping he is on the route somewhere

• Great Angie,see you there,you will love itimage.the time you finish is not important with this one ,.just soak up the scenery.Inverness is a wonderful city. I enjoyed the pasta night , very friendly folk music .
  • we are staying til monday afternoon so atleast this time i get to lay in (had to be up at 5 in edinburgh for flight home)

ive booked pasta party tickets so looking forward to that

we are flying up for this too didnt fancy 8 hrs on the train so 1hr 30 from manchester it is image

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Fantastic race - well done to everyone who took part, and to the Sexy Stokies for making it fun!

I finished 1:44 - PB by 4 mins, and 24 mins improvement on last year, so very, very happy image

Was one hell of a tough course though - those hills were as horrible as I remembered them to be, especially that long incline in the final miles that seemed to go on forever. Afterwards I said 'never again'... but I'll probably be back next year!

If you saw a short woman with tattoos wearing a black skirt and crop top, it was probably me image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

MadameO, I ran with you most of the way round, obvious given our times were within a minute.

Well done on knocking 24 mins off last years time.

• racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Hi Allan Williams 4,

Racephotos carries a link to the results which are published on UKresults.

To date, I have upload 500 of my 1,500 photos taken at the race.  The first 400 are on Victoria Road at about 2 miles.  The rest were taken on Town Bridge as you enter Hanley and approach the finish.

Please remember my photos are free to download and I will send you the high resolutuion photo if you request it at no charge.

Well done everyone.

Kind regards

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• racephotos wrote (see)

Hi Allan Williams 4,

Racephotos carries a link to the results which are published on UKresults.

To date, I have upload 500 of my 1,500 photos taken at the race.  The first 400 are on Victoria Road at about 2 miles.  The rest were taken on Town Bridge as you enter Hanley and approach the finish.

Please remember my photos are free to download and I will send you the high resolutuion photo if you request it at no charge.

Well done everyone.

Kind regards

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

I remember you taking my pic, it was some  where after 'MILTON HILL'..........When i seen you taking pics i started to pat my chest/heart and you started laughing as i went past you.  It made me laugh what i got a reaction out of you image
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Valley - thanks, and well done to you too image So which one were you??

Bryan - excellent pics as always, thanks for putting them up! Dreading seeing mine though, if I looked anywhere near as ropey as I felt image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I'm here looking pleased with myself for beating 1:45

I remember you because I thought your choice of running gear was unusual with the skirt

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Ahh, yes I remember seeing you image You look in a much better state than I was coming to that finish!

I thought a running skirt was a genius idea after chafing my thighs to buggery in the VLM earlier this year. It wasn't - I still chafed!

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Yeah, thanks for sharing that one with the world Bryan image

Seriously though I thinks it's great the effort you go to for the benefit of the runners in these events so thank you. See you at Stone

MadameO, I was thinking about a skirt myself for the same reasons so I'm glad you let me know it doesn't help image