Exe to Axe 20

Hi, how does one get back from Axmouth and don't say jog back image

Comments

• I did look. I presumed that there would be transport from the finish to the start, post race and as I couldn't see info about that on here or Sidmouth Running website, I thought I would ask.

I'll think about it, I would have to drive to Seaton and get the coach back- which is fine and £5 is a bargain. However, I have a marathon on 2nd May so it's whether I want to risk potentially damaging myself so close to the event!

Sounds like a proper run though and one which would tire me out image

Thanks for the help.

• Yes, I noticed that on the write up on the Sidmouth website. I may just stick to running along the pavements but we will see, I'll let my body decide nearer the time. Hehe I wouldn't race it- those hills are immense- good on anyone who does it; think my lungs might explode! I'd like to do London again but not for a while, want quieter races for the moment.

It does sound exciting though!

• See, this is all very tempting.... image .... Oooh desisions desisions!

Good luck image might be worth getting some roller skates/mountain board for the down hills if I did it- be getting the speed/overall pace well up then ..... lol

• He hehehe, I like your thinking!

I don't need much convincing when things as challenging as this come along..... Infact this trait usually ends me in trouble; it's so easy to sign up to things on the internet without really considering the consequences! lol!

• Hey all, quiet here!  Hope you are all out training!  Got my LSR tomorrow hitting the 20 mile mark now in prep for this! 

Only 7 weeks left!

• Hi All

How does the relay option work for us not so fit runners? is it a clean split 10 miles each? if so which is the easyer leg lol im not as good as partner lol (don't tell him though lol) o thats running partner lol

sorry for all the lol's

Darrell

• hello,

what  shoes do people wear ? is it a full on trail shoe or will a normal pair of trainers sufice ?

see you all there 

Jon F

• Hi Jon

Im not sure what is best was hoping i could wear trainers bit more comfitable than my tail shoes. Are you doing full 20.3? i've got my father in law to share the race with me don't think i would last full distance.

• Thats TRAIL shoes lol

• hi darrel

doing the full lot, suddenly realised its along way. like wise hopeing it will dry out abit for trainer wear

Jon

• Hi Jon

Are you staying down there over night before the race? if yes are you in b&b cause we are looking for accomodation. If you live down there do you know of any cheapish accomodation?

Darrell

• darrel,

No we live closer enough to drive down in the morning. there maybe cheaper places to stay in axminster (its only 10min drive away). If I hear of anywhere in the next day or 2 I will post it for you.

See you there  

Jon

• Hi Jon

Thanks for the reply i went on the tourism site and have booked a B&B through there. Looking forward to the race now just hope i shift this cold i have, going for a decent run tommorrow to try and blast my cold out.

• Just checked the weather forecast.  Snow on Friday night, Sunday will be 25 - 30 mph winds from the NW, 3 degrees that will feel like -3 degrees.  So warm clothes will be advisable, unless you are real hard, which I am not!! (4 layers for me, plus gloves and a hat!)

Good luck to all and see you there!

Ben

• Has anyone got a profile map for this course? Can you post the link on here please.
  • ooo thats going to be chilly, there was me hoping to start my tan !

Jon

• another quick one, what sort of times are people expecting ?
  • hi Devon if you go on the webpage, there was a profile.  Up and down summerises it for me!  I love the 600ft to sea level and then back to 600 ft!

Jon - I am going for four hours ish- so around 11:30 minute miles on average.

Ben

• how did everyone get on ?

I did 4hrs 57, blisters and aches today but a very enjoyable day

Jon

• Our longest recent training run was 15 miles about 3-4 weeks ago and although I would have said that it was hilly, like a lot of our training runs - it wasn't a patch on this terrain.

Suffered in the 1st half with sore knee joint, but popped a couple of ipobrufen at Sidmouth & the final 2 sections were better. Unfortunately the climbs were so severe and long in the 2nd half, legs were like lead by the finish. One of our guys was so drained of energy at the end, it was all we could do to keep him moving. Thank heavens for will power.

We mainly walked/staggered the last few miles and quite a few passed us. Finally we jogged accross the finish in 4 39.

As we usually find on this type of event, everyone was very friendly and the encouragement & banter is a great boost. Most of the runners seemed to be local or from South West Clubs, but we met a couple who came all the way from Manchester!

Found out how hopeless my "Trail Shoes" were on some of those mud walls - and if anyone wore road shoes and managed without a rope and grapple, I would like to know how! My friends had Mizuno Harriers and both had a lot more grip than my Kanadias.

Hope to do it again next year, but only after better training, more hills and perhaps some climbing wall sessions?!

• Steve   the misses and I ran past the three of you in the last 100 meters i was the Cobra runner and did 4:17 and found it the hardest run we have ever done and we did the Grizzly three weeks before and that felt like a fun run compaired to this.Did a tough 21 the week before in 3:00:30 just shows how tough this run was.Will we be back again , would love to say yes but that was bloody hard .

Ran in a pair of Kanadias myself and was like Bambie but we got some great pics on the way round.

Tis a lovely run to have said you have run, or tryed to run.