Madrid-Segovia, Saint Jacques Way

Comments

• SD, I must confess that paying one jar of sangria online is not the easiest option. image

I will ask the race board. Sure there is an alternative way.

Btw, how much do you get bribed from British banks for a 30-quid transfer?

Rgds,
    Luis
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Luis - I've been told it will cost £9. I also need to get the name on the account in addition to the information provided on the website...
  • Luis - I'm in! Looking forward to the run image
  • SD, Hope you got though all the bank commisions.

I know it is not the best day to talk about ultra running as we reached 40ºC for 3rd day on a row. Still, we have one month ahead of us and temps, especially clouds and fresh breeze, will relieve our suffering. We have enouh with the distance. yuck.

Glad to have you at the entrants list. We heard we will be again over 400, that'll make a nice group-jogging. You'd better update some bits of Spanish for the road. I will help myself.

Book your flight and accomodation soon. Any help needed with transfers and tube system will be solved, I am a bloody rat.

Best, Luis

• Gracias Luis - all went well.

40C is a bit too hot for me! I hope it gets a little less warm by September!

Mrs SD has sorted out flights and accommodation (it will be our third visit to Madrid) but she won't be running - she'll be travelling from Madrid to Segovia by train - she says it's cheaper and quicker!!

I must learn some more useful Spanish phrases and words...

SD
  • Hola de nuevo Pato Lento / Hi again SD, image
    Indeed, women are the living proof that there is intelligent life on this planet's surface. The train will also call at Cercedilla, I will check timetables because she might well be able to see you there. That is the 70k point, although Saturdays the services are reduced at evening times.
    If I were her, I'd also book some world-famous piglet (cochinillo) for lunch. That'd be the definitive recovering cauldron for you.

I jogged 2h along some bits of the M-S yesterday. Paths are clear, wide and easy to follow. Won't get lost. You have marks (the yellow arrow) guiding you to Santiago de Compostela, if necessary. It is only a 600k extra.

Best,
    Luis
  • Just seen this thread, sounds a good event but I think I know why you don't have many from overseas - there does not appear to be an English version of the website, take a look at other overseas races eg ecotrail Paris, that has an english and other laguage options,
    I couldn't even work out a date for the race!
  • Hi Hellen,

You are right. There is information in English and Italian but that 'blog' format is a bit poor.
    Race date is 17 Sept., departing time 09.00.
  • Shame, already have something on that date, maybe another year
  • SD,
    I have checked the trains and the train services are not so frequent on Sat and Su.
    There is the option with trains calling at Cercedilla (k63) but from there to Segovia last train leaves at about 19.20pm. I guess a 10-hour for first 63k might be a bit too fast. Just check.
    So your wife should be leaving Cercedilla Stn at about 19h15. Do you think you can cheer it up so much? image
    Best
    Luis
  • Luis,

Thanks for checking out the train times. Yes, 10 hours for 63km will probably be a little too fast for me... I don't think Mrs SD was planning to see me the race or during her journey to Segovia as we are going to stay in Segovia for the weekend afterwards and so she will be taking my suitcase (as well as hers) to the hotel in Segovia. I'm not sure she'll even see me finish as I'm hoping to arrive at around 3am... that will be a very late night for her...

SD

• A 3am finish time would make 18h. I shouldn't be very far from that. It'll be a jogging session for me, for I am quite out of training.
  • We'll probably see each other on the course then!
  • Sunday I checked the last 20 miles from the course which we will be doing by night. We jogged starting at 0545am but could do little nightrunning as we got light from 0715am onwards.
    The temperature about starting time still a bit high but the afternoon averages have dropped 3 or 4ºC. I expect a max about 27º for the section between 20 to 40k, but there are also nice chances to get some clouds. It'd cool the whole bl**dy thing down.

More than 500 entries, and it is entry deadline tomorrow.

SD, remember you can drop bags at Cercedilla (approx k63) for the cloth change + headlamp stuff. You will have to calculate the sunset for Madrid area, according to your predicted pace.
    http://www.fomento.gob.es/salidapuestasol/2011/Madrid-2011.txt
    Sunset at Madrid is predicted at 2020pm, so give it a nice 40 min extra of light.

Cheers
  • Luis, thank you for the updates. It's good to hear that it is getting a bit cooler...

A quick question - the drop bags. Do the runners bring the drop bags and hand them over to the organisers at the number pick up or do we hand them over on the morning of the race?

Also regarding the red-light requirement. I have a headlamp with a flashing red light on the back - will that be considered sufficient? (Note to self - must find my whistle too!)

SD
  • Enough, SD. That red light is correct for the race rules.

About bags, they are delivered at the start.

About the whistle, it is a very popular option to use the decathlon Diosaz bags with the whistle incorporated.

One day less!!!
  • Luis, thank you for the information. Saved me from taking the drop bags to registration (and back and bringing them again on the morning!) It is good that the drop bags are collected in the morning - I can try to freeze a few things so that when I collect them later on in the day they are still cool...

SD
  • Here comes the clouds!
    Here comes the clouds!
    This is when the party starts....

Today max predicted of a poor 26ºC. And the week forecasts are stable.
    Note that rain percentage can also mean some summer drops!!! This is not UK. image

Colmenar:
    http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/colmenar-viejo-id28045
    Cercedilla:
    http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/cercedilla-id28038
    Segovia:
    http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/segovia-id40194
  • The b'std sun is getting back over our heads. Temps are stable with nice lows but warm his (like 30º).
    So let's keep on praying. They say we Spaniards are close friends with roman church...

From my side, I am assambleing the compulsory material and clothes. It'll be ok with:
    backpack, with hydra system Diosaz 15 (and whistle)
    red light
    Led Lenser H7 headlamp
    long sleeve for night
    extra pair of socks
    2 packs of Jamon Serrano + 1 energy bar as extra food intake
    Asics Gel Kayano (it is not a rocky trail race at all!!!)
    Shorts + t-shirt
    Gruelling hat.
  • Awd, forgot to mention: field over 600 runners!! We won't be alone on the Camino.

SD, please note: You must be BEFORE 8am at the start to be able to drop your bags.

More. how to get to the start: Parque Alamedilas, Tube "Tres Olivos" Line 10. Behind the running tack. It is only 3 stops away from Chamartin Stn.

Which is your hotel?
  • Luis, I've been looking at the weather for Madrid and Segovia - yes, it's still quite warm...

Thank you for letting me know about the bag drop time and the start location - it's by the Centro Deportivo Municipal Santa Ana track, yes?

I'm a little curious about the extra socks on your check list - is this because they may get wet (from running in rivers?) or is it for comfort?

Just boring energy bars and gels for me (no Jamon Serrano!).

I'm in a hotel on Plaza Santa Ana in Madrid and then a hotel next to the aqueduct in Segovia (I didn't want to have to crawl too far after finishing...)

600 runners is pretty good! I'm a bit worried that I've been given Dorsal number 14! I hope the organisers are not expecting me to be fast!
  • Hi there,

You are right, SD. Santa Ana is the track.

Lovely place to sleep Plaza de Santa Ana. Depending on your flight day, walk the area around Sol and Gran Vía, you'll see how close everything is (and get used to the tube system). If you need some tips for dinners or lunches I can drop some lines here. Be careful as you may fall in love with the city.

I tend to use quite a lot of vaseline against blisters, but the definitive comfort comes when I put a second pair of socks. I use to do that around 6 to 8 hours of action. There is no chance to soak your feet after 3 months without rain, I promise. I can vaguely recall one tiny creek that might have some water at k20.

Energy bars, oh the runners' world!
  • Luis, I've never used a second pair of socks in a race... may be I'll put a pair into my bag for Cercedilla...

We were going to try to have some tapas at El Mercado de San Miguel which wasn't open the last time we were in Madrid. Do you have any favourite places in there that you can recommend?
  • Sure!

If I were you I'd abandon myself to the San Miguel tapas but also try some new places.
    One is a new way to see Spanish kitchen, Kubik, behind Puerta del Sol. You can have a test menu for a little more than 20 pounds (just tell me, there is a 40% reduction using some offer vouchers).
    Two, do you like wines? There is a brand new bookstore+wine place called Tipos Infames (Inglorious bastards) to have some chatter. Nice deco, the place to be for a talk.
    Three, the newest Saharian little restaurant at Cocina del Desierto. It is placed at the Gay district (Chueca). Lovely and intimate.
    Veggy? Isla del Tesoro, Bilbao Square area. Pity they do not speak English.

Do you fancy to have dinner together? I could try to combine it with my wife for Thursday.
  • Luis, i've e-mailed you!

SD
  • Hi all,

Slow Duck has not been spotted yet. Local authorities fear he and wife could be trapped somewhere underneath a local pub's table. High temperatures and runner's habits forced participants to accomplish large amounts of beer yesterday evening.

But I'm sure he'll pop up at the start!!!

Cheers
    Luis
  • Hi Luis - you are amazingly accurate! It certainly is a lot hotter than I had hoped in Madrid! Mrs SD and I sampled a little too much of the vino blanco and canas - all this heat made us thirsty!

Hoping to collect my number later on after a seista...

SD
  • Hey, SD

The only hope is that we are plodding NW the whole day. Once we get away from the k22 aid station we should be gaining altitude and the air cools down. Maybe some storm clouds give us shelter but the weather won't get nicer until... Sunday evening!!!! Brrrrrrr image

On the other hand, I had the same beer system yesterday. Had a terrible lot of fun after collecting my number at the Hotel.

See you at the start. Will be one with a brown hat.

Sort of...
  • A Fedora for ultrarunning
    Hahahaha
  • See you at the start!