Rutland Water Marathon

Comments

• "fairly flat" ? bollocks... "Undulating route but no major hills to worry about. "... what the fuck ?

sorry to be so blunt, but by god bollocks, i was not expecting it to be so tough... the hills (yes HILLS) took so much out of me !

all the above considered (i.e the hills, yeah thats right, ill say it again, them HILLS), pretty happy with my time, but a more acurate description would have been appreciated ! ! !

nothing against fat feet as i think they have a potentially good race on their hands there, but i dont think ill be back next year ! 

buck

• Hills? what hills?
    They weren't hills!
  • That was incredibly tough. Maybe it's just being a Norfolk boy but that was beyond undulating!

Great event and somehow pulled a PB out of the bag at stopwatched 3-44-22.

Anyone know when the results are up?

• Goodness that was tough!!

Fabulous course, scenery and marshalls

I have not stopped shivering yet tho  image
  • My first marathon and really enjoyed it.  Scenery made the day.....as well as the two ladies running as breasts! 
  • wow that course was brutal! And how bad were those mile markers?! I think i got to the first mile in 12 mins, 3 down on target. Then at some point i was miles ahead of my target!

That last 1.2 mile seemed extra long luckily i felt good enough to finish in 4.09 for a pb so am happy with that!

Really enjoyed the scenary it was amazing and really made it such a great event!

• I didn't think the hills were too bad in terms of length or steepness but the constant undulation plus the fact that well more than half was trail  rather than tarmac plus all the cattle grids (at least 20??) made it pretty difficult.

The 9 mile marker was at 8.45 miles!  They got a bit better towards the end. 

Very nice atmosphere and a perfect day for running.

• My mile splits were

7.34--6.30--7.34--5.22--4.40--6.21--5.02--4.44--4.42--8.18--7.18--7.58--4.06--5.01--8.02--6.01--6.26--6.44

7.29--4.17--7.05--7.45--5.46--6.33--6.30--6.30--2.24

I normally run like a metronome at 6.20-6.25 pace!!

How difficult can it be to put mile markers in the right place? and whats the point of putting them up at all if they are that far out.

• J2RJ2R ✭✭✭

Unfortunately a coldy virusy thing felled me earlier in the week, and I hadn't recovered in time for the race today. I decided to give it a go nonetheless, but alas had to pull out at 18 miles (my first ever DNF image), because I was feeling extremely ropey - achey, shivery and weak, not what you need when you've got another 8 miles to go, and I decided (unusually for me) to do the sensible thing rather than give myself some lasting damage (like crippled immune system or death, neither of which appealed). A real shame because I thought the course was glorious - beautiful views and what fantastic conditions!

I will say this, though - I think the organisation was dreadful. The '10 minute walk to the start' which was about 25-30 minutes (with the result that many missed the start); the completely unbriefed marshalls who hadn't a clue what was going on (and I don't blame the marshalls themselves); the bizarrely inaccurate mile markers (mile 1 at 1.26 miles and then at apparently  random locations thereafter; the inept control of traffic (which resulted in runners nearly getting mown down at the junction point on the Hambleton peninsula)... I could go on. I got the impression that Fat Feet were experience race organisers, but some of this stuff was so basic it's hard to believe they've ever organised anything before.

Curiously, I'd still come back next year if I thought they were going to get their act together, because the location was a dream.

• my legs ache !!!

i was going for sub 4 and was at halfway at 1:45 but the wheels well and truly came of the wagon at 19 miles.  The up and downs really took it out of the old legs and they just died on me - 4:05 in the end so spot the difference in the times.  I will agree that the start was further along than I thought but the start was delayed wasn't it ?  Did make it a bit of a wait for those who get down there for 9.  The markers were out but I timed myself on the watch but it I guess it they should be in the right place.  I didn't have any problems with marshalls or crossing the roads though.  Lot tougher than I expected but I would do it again and bettered my first marathon time by 15 minutes but I cannor remember the last time my legs hurt like they did when I finally plodded over the line

The only thing I would recommend people do it to let FatFeet know of any criticisms (I will on the markers) so they at least get feedback, now when shall I do another one ?

• Absolute stunning scenery and wonderful undulating course. Having run the Stratford marathon earlier in the year, then I personally prefer the undualtions as it breaks up the monotony - that cycle track in Straford seemed to go on for ever.

For a first attempt I though it was really well organised, with the exception of those mile markers, which were so far out at the beginning that it made me think the start was in the wrong place!

I'll be back next year with a view to cracking 4 hours. (hobbled in at 4.08)

• Amazed myself and managed 4.04, just 4 mins or so outside my PB, which was set in Dublin last year. Considering my longest run this time round was the Cardiff half three weeks ago I was really pleased with that time and somehow managed to run the whole thing. Was on for sub 4 until about 19 or so miles and then gradually slowed. I was walking across the cattle grids as I'm so clumsy and didn't want to risk hurting myself so that must have added up to several minutes of time. I thought my Garmin was going crazy at the start with the mile markers, but checked with another lady at around 4 or so miles and hers said the same. Not sure if they were really out in places because they seemed to be attaching them to things.

I'd agree with it being hilly, but I call any incline a hill and I have to say they were nothing compared to some of the long, steep hills on the drive in.

That last mile or so seemed to go on forever.

I didn't have any problems with traffic and marshalls at all. Agree with the long walk bit although it helped me warm up a little. I thought it seemed well organised as well.

I'd do it again I think if I did some proper training as the views were stunning, especially around the Hambleton bit.

Well done everyone.
  • Hi, I had a great race, loved it. 3:39 for me, would have been happy with anything under 4, so really pleased. Agree with comments re mile markers, but thought marshalls were great, and personaly had no problems with road crossings.

Loved the course, fantastic scenery, fabulous weather - what a contrast to today! Had a great weekend.

I've been looking for the results but can't find them yet, would have expected them to be up today seeing as it was chip timed.

• The course was certainly more hilly than undulating. The cattle grids and changes in surface made getting into a rhythm really hard.

I thought the marshalls were friendly and supportive and the scenery was stunning. Overall a tough race and I'm happy with my 3:30, even though 9 minutes down on my best from London this year.
  • J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    I do want to make it clear that my complaints about the marshalling were not about the marshals themselves, but about the lack of briefing and preparation. They were certainly friendly and supportive, and it can't have been a lot of fun standing round for hours in cold conditions like that.
  • Brilliant race, Well organised the marshalls did a great job, drink stations, all well organised. I would add that I think the gates should be opened where the cattle grids are as they are extremely dangerous, heath and safety would have a field day with this one, the other thing is my gripe with some races this included, age group recognition in results and awards for very little cost this could be solved, results and awards should be in 5 year groups so that you can see how you compete against others in your age group. After doing Snowdon last week  I was pleased with 4:29 on a very testing course the short sharp undulations got my to me in the end.
  • Does anyone know if the results are out yet? I can't find them anywhere.
  • A verry picturesque race, with a number of interesting features.  The terain was a mixture of lanes, trails and cycle paths, making this a significantly different experience than your average city marathon. 

I will agree with those who say that the course profile was tougher than the website indicated.  I heard more than one runner say "that peninsular finished me off".  This is not the best marathon if you are going for a personal best.  There were also a lot of cattle grids which forced me to stop and start.  Like many people who have posted in this thread, I found that the course really took my legs away after the 20 mile mark.  On the other hand I feel less beten up this morning than I usualy do after a city race owing to the mixed terain. 

There were a few organisational issues, but you expect that with an inaugural race.  The race organisers and marshals were all verry friendly and courteous.  Any marathon runner living in the midlands should definitely consider this event as a future project. 

I was hoping for a sub 4 hour time, and ended up with 4.02, which means that my time is likley to be revised down to an even more tantalisingly close number. 

• I really enjoyed it, challenging and not a road race. Managed a 4:54 which was a bit slower than I hoped but less than 5h so I'm happy. I was heading for closer to 4:30 but I died on the hill after 21miles and never really got going again. My stomach muscles need work. I'll be back.

It was nice to run and chat with different people for a bit before leaving them behind or getting left behind. I think I met about 5 others but only got a couple of names.

I get the impression that FatFeet were concerned with only the basics. Being the first one and with only 650 entrants it was never going to be a hyper-slick organised event. I won't be surprised if they don't publish the times or even the splits round the peninsula. The info sheet said that the time would be displayed immediately after you finish and I saw a few people looking at a laptop.

I hope that they've spent some time going round the route litter picking afterwards as I was probably near the back and the trail of empty gel packs in a SSSI environment won't do the race any favours. I was talking to a local who commented on the amount of sports bottles littering the area after the triathalon.

• Yes I saw lots of empty gel packets in random places. I always make sure I don't drop mine and take them home with me, but I use a bumbag so it's easier for me. Yeah I heard that there were complaints about the littering after the Vit.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    why is it that some runners/cyclists think it's ok to drop their gel wrappers and stuff in the countryside?

I just put mine in my pocket until I find a bin, or until the end - how hard is that?

I thought this was a stunningly lovely course - I've done the Vit a few times so knew the area, but this run was lovely - hard, but lovely

I didn't get the sports drink though - a marshall said 'sports drink at the next aid station' but I got water - maybe I should have asked image

I'm not in the running for a prize, but I don't approve of prizes only for senior and 40 plus, as I'm in the 50 plus age group, and I think it should be a separate category
  • I didn't know there was sports drink. Could have done with that later in the race. After guzzling a gel at 16 miles I realised I had got confused, not brought enough with me and only had one left for the next 10 miles!

I hate all the littering personally. I even hate throwing the cups down even though I know they will pick them up.
  • I agree with you Debbo we should all be recognised, it is a race after all, I still compete and I'm in th O/70 age group.
  • On the issue of littering, it is important when taking part in an event like this to present the people participating in a positive light. 

We want the local population to welcome the event and not see it as an imposition upon them.  When I took part in the kilomathon there were participants urinating up against the side of an old peoples home at the start line, which is outrageous.  I am also into rock climbing and I have seen crags closed down to recreational climbers due to a few idionts not treating the landowners with due consideration. 

The rule of thumb with a plastic cup or a water bottle should be that you either drop in next to an aid station or take it with you.  My used gel packs go in my rucksack unless I can conveniently take them next to an aid station and leave them on the table. 

• I should check my facts a bit before posting. The Woodland Half results are in a word document on the Fat Feet website but were delayed. I expect they'll publish the Marathon results soon on the Marathon page.

I'm sure I heard a marshall saying that the water at 20miles had Elete added but was in a cup and didn't taste of anything. I was probably not thinking too straight at that point.

• Hi all,

thought it only right to check in albeit with bad news.

Blew up badly at 11 miles, vomiting etc.  After 10 marathons you think you're getting the hang of these things and then it comes back to bite you on the ar**.  Somehow managed to finish (not sure how) about 20 mins off pb, pretty gutted  - but a huge thanks to runner 670, he may not know it but his upbeat appraisal at mile 12 helped a lot.

We were chatting, I was considering pulling out of my first ever race and he said:

"It's a long way to go, but we're healthy, in the sunshine doing what we love - how bad can it be."

You can't really argue with that.

Jase

ps - after 10 maras you also think I'd realise that undulating is anything but - still beautiful place!

• I might well tackle this one next year so good to hear all the reports, good and bad !
  • It was OK after a few mins when you got warmed up and a perfect day for it really. bloomin cold beforehand tho. tough course but I like the changes in rythym and surface etc. only bit I walked was about mile 25 thru some woods, else i was going to throw up. as i'm one of those with a poss 'crippled immune system' due to overracing/training then I was quite pleased with a consistent 3h24 and picked up some places in last 4 miles.

at the start, it was a bit weird racing fresh on the return leg of the Vitruvian/Dambuster tiathlon courses.

definitely a tough course, and one that demands respect. so hats off to the Vet lady who did 3h16.

wonder if we'll be stiffer on Tues than today, I'm only averagely bad so far.

i'd do it again next yr. the cattle grids etc are arent ideal but its the same for everyone, or you can choose to go through the side gates (most of which were held open after the first few anyway) 

• I spoke to that lady afterwards. What an amazing time. And she said how hard it was too!
  • Hi all. While I really enjoyed the run, there are a few issues which need to be adressed for future renewals.

The start position was a crazy distance from the car park and needs to be moved closer--this could easily be compensated by a slight course change.

The mile markers were consistently out of position. There is little point in having them if they are not positioned correctly.

I found the calle grids dangerous---it was bad enough combating and swerving around cyclists!

If the run had been today, I think part of the course would have been hazardous, and extremely slippy.

But all in all well done for a first effort---just get those results posted. Surely it was the whole point of having the chips! The longer we wait, the more embarassing it is for the organisers!