First Time Half Marathoners

Comments

• hello <waves> Plenty of room for anyone who thinks 13m sounds daunting, but is working towards it anyway image
  • Hi image

I've been running for about a year as part of my gym routine, but just 20 mins on the treadmill twice a week! Then around November decided I wanted a challange and something to motivate me to stay fit during the winter. Tried to run outside for the first time at Christmas (error!) and slipped on the ice so missed about 3 and a bit weeks of training schedule image So i'm not really worring about my time at the moment just hoping to make it to then end in one piece!!

Hopefully the 10k I've entered in a few weeks will give me a bit more confidence image

• Hi Pinkstars - have you made it outside again yet???? I got my number yesterday for the 10k next Sunday. Its a hilly one, so *again* I'm not worried about times, just getting round (maybe I should have that printed on a T-shirt 'Just getting round'!)
  • I've been running since last january, when a group of us decided to do the GNR. We did a 10k in June then just kept up regular training runs till september.

But nerves started getting to me, so last minute I entered the nottingham HM, to see what would happen on the day. Looking back I think I must have been mentally ill... I ended up doing my first 2 HMs 7 days apart.

Anyway things all turned out ok. My best advice to anyone would be, don't underestimate the difference having supporters lining the route makes... They certainly got me through the last couple of miles on both runs.
  • Thanks Bats image If I don't get a place through the main ballot, I'm going to go through Asthma Uk, but I'm hoping I can raise money for a local charity which doesn't get any charity places so we'll see- can't believe my boyfriend got in, he only entered to keep me company... typical!

Ha, Nigel just thought I'd say I know exactly how you felt- I've gone and entered two 10k's which are a week apart. It's going to cost me a fortune (since one is the Great Manchester Run) and now I have 15 weeks to get to 10k! Did it go okay?

Just completed my first mile on the track image Well proud of myself! Was hoping to try a couple of 800m reps to help with my endurance, and the boyfriend turned two laps into four! The furthest I've done on road, on my own, is 600m as well- really need to work on my pace...

• Running a couple of 10k's before your half is a great way to gauge how your training is going.

I did a local 10k a few weeks prior to my 2nd HM, got a pb, and that can really bolster your confidence going into a half.

• ManxJade wrote (see)

Thanks Bats image If I don't get a place through the main ballot, I'm going to go through Asthma Uk, but I'm hoping I can raise money for a local charity which doesn't get any charity places so we'll see- can't believe my boyfriend got in, he only entered to keep me company... typical!.

thats always the case, think it gets filed under sods law lol. its a good charity to choose should you have to take a place through one (my twins suffer with asthma) so i'll fling a few pennies your way. als ogood that you want to try and help a local charity first though.

i may see you in manchester too lol, im also doing the bupa yorkshire run 2 weeks frore the GNR. i told them they needed to add a welsh one since  spend a couple of weekends a month there lol. 

well done on the track run. i would say work on distance before pace though. once you can cover a distance you can then work on the speedwork for it. 

• Hi All,

Just going to jump in, been running for 6 months Completed 2 races one 5k 23:54 and a 10k 49.28 and am now training for a HM, I'm following a Hal Higdon 12 week training plan, and finding it V good, it does incorporate a 5 and 10k races to gage performance and pace etc.

• Me too!  I'm training for my first half marathon.  I'm not very quick, but I can plod steadily, so I'm hoping for a 2:30-ish finish.  I've done some 10 mile races before, but never gone the half before.

Yesterday I went for my training session even though I was really NOT in the mood.  Told myself there were likely to be lots more times when I don't feel like it before race day so I'd better get used to it!  image

I am training long & slow, because I usually end up with gaps in my training, & then have to rush to try to get the miles in.  At which point I get shin splints or other leg 'hiccups'. image  So this time I've decided to factor in the gaps (caused by work trips etc when I can run a bit, but not what you'd call proper training sessions), and to increase my mileage steadily, while doing some strength, core & upper body training on my non-running sessions.

The other factor in the mix is that my previous races have all been road races - with maybe a few sections of path or track, but the half I am aiming for is a trail half, so I am going to HAVE to do more running outside than I usually do in training.  Luckily a) I live in the country so there are plenty of footpaths & bridleways to run on & b) I have fitter & faster friends who will come & do their slow runs with me & encourage me along!

Good luck to everyone who's doing a training run today!

• Hello peeps cant say that im a veteran as ive only ever done one half marathon (2004 gnr) i managed a run of 12 miles 2 weeks before the race but id never done the full distance. i am going to say tho that the feeling of pride that grows inside once you hit mile 10 is a feeling of sheer pride at getting so far from there on in the spectators that turn out to watch and cheer people on carry you the other 3.1 miles and make the day special ( your dreams are yours and yours alone follow your heart and believe in yourself keep telling yourself you can and you will suceed this is the place were you will find the strength to carry on for yourself and others.) good luck with the training peeps keep it up and we will all achieve our goals this year and once again to those that have just begun the initial gains in fitness are worth the hard work .   
  • Hi All - I started running in July last year and have my first half at Tunbridge Wells at the end of Feb. Hoping to finish under 2:15. Have done a couple of 10ks my best being 58:17. Couldn't run for more than 5 minutes when I started - amazing how quickly you get fitter.

Good luck to everyone with their training

• Hi again Bats. I was wondering why I'd said I wanted to speed up when people keep telling me off when I mention speed work- but I actually meant slowing my pace for once. My boyfriend is a pretty good athlete locally so I go out running with him once a week and find I run much further with him than on my own- and last night I finally realised I jogged alot quicker on my own and no-one's keeping my speed in line!

I know, Asthma UK would be a great one. All through high school I suffered quite badly from it, but in primary school I'd jump at the chance to do cross country- but by high school I let it take over my life and just hated athletics. Then I took up martial arts and squash and my GP said I'd actually got my asthma under control, even though I still have a tendency to have an attack around cigerettes... So, it was my orginal reason for trying out for a half- but wow, it's hard work!

And I can totally agree with you, Gribb0, I was running for 5 weeks on two/one runs a week and went from one minute to five, but started doing 5/6 runs a week and managed to reach a mile/11 minutes within two weeks!

• Wow - lots going on!

Nigel - 2 HMs in 7 days???!!!! Wow! Glad you survived image Hopefully I will have my husband and kids there with me, so hopefully lots of support from one little group.

ManxJade - how did your boyfriend get a place and not you??!! Sounds like you have a good plan to run anyway though. And some good training!

Hi jammers - sounds like some good times you have for your races so far. Which HM are you aiming for?

Hi Anne. More good training planned image Sounds like you have a good plan to cover your training 'gaps'. Which HM are you aiming for? Mine is a trail HM as well, so my run today included 2 miles through boggy fields. Lovely - but I did see some tiny lambs which were very cute.

Stephen - glad someone else hadn't done the full distance before their race.

Hi Gribb0 - you've done very well for only running since July! Which HM are you doing - not long now!! - and good luck with it!

Me? Well I've managed to run all of my week 4 runs. 5M, 4M, and today, my longest ever run, 8.5M. Very pleased with myself, but quite achy tonight.

Roll on next week's training!

• MJ, all the benefit of a boyfriend but with the added benefit he can help you with your running too. you could use runs with him to help you with your speed, but the runs on your own for the distance. best of both worlds.

B&T, re the MJ part of yyou message,  the mirror ballot for the GNR only had 3000 spots so a lot did miss out (though all those that did fail go into the main ballot).

welcome to all the new posters on the thread, i'll read it all properly when i get back home later today. 

park run at heaton (manchester) this morning. first 'race' of the year. 

• Hi B&T.  I'm aiming for the Cirencester Park Trail. 

Short run today, but followed immediately by a circuit training session.  My 'weekend chocolate bar' is waiting for me...!

• Hey Anne - Cirencester's not too far from me - nice place - bet the route is lovely! Hope you enjoyed your chocolate bar!!!
  • After my (hard) 8.6M run on Friday, I was quite creaky in my hips and knees yesterday, but amazingly not stiff legged at all image very pleased, as this was the furthest I've ever run, and as I was running the last 2 miles back home (uphill - urgh) I worked out it was 2/3 of HM distance - which cheered me up no end!

Need an easy week this week, as I have a 10k race next Sunday. Nervous already ..

• well done on fridays run B&T.

you'll be fine for the 10k next sunday. you've covered more distance in training runs, so you know you can cover this.

• Well done B&T.  Good luck for next Sunday.  I'm sure you'll be fine, & the atmosphere of events always makes them fun.

I went out this morning & my right shin was a bit grumbly, so I'm having a non-running day today as I'm due to do a 40min run followed by a boot camp session tomorrow & I don't want to push my luck this early in my training.

So I've been doing housework etc today instead, which badly needed doing, but which is soooo boring.  And doesn't give you any good endorphins afterwards.  image

• Anne - too true about the lack of housework endorphins. I need to sort the house out after a busy weekend - but have zero motivation to do it. I have some work to get on with, and a 4M run planned at some point - both of which are more appealing  than the thought of getting the mop out!

Hope your shin's okay. I had sore shins for the first time during my run on Friday. Not bad, but I could feel it. I'm hoping its just because I've been pushing my mileage up steadily for the last 3 weeks. Not so far this week so hopefully will give legs a chance to recover.

Bootcamp session sounds hard!

Thanks for the good luck wishes for next weekend, Anne & Bats. Nervous because it will be my first big, 'proper' race (only other race had 34 runners in!) but I'm hoping it will be good as a dress rehersal for HM.

• Well it turns out sore shins are the least of my worries right now as I've woken up with a streaming cold.  No running/boot camp for me tonight.  This training lark - two steps forward, one back.  Blast!  Still, worse things happen at sea I guess.  Hopefully just a straightforward if annoying cold so should be only a day or two missed.  (Trying to be positive!)
  • Bats- yes, it is useful, despite stressful at sometimes! I'm right at the part where I want to run all the time and he'd much rather keep his energy for his training sessions with his club (silly middle distance runners)! But it's fun because I have a couple of other mates who I sometimes persuade to get out with me image

Aw that sounds tough Ann, when I had a cold/generally feeling ill (I work in a chemist, they are a common occurance!) I found it was the one time I really wanted to get out there! Make sure you rest up, and plenty of fluids image

And B&T, as Bats pointed out it's a ballot so it's very much a picking a name out of a hat- even though I did hope I'd have an advantage sending mine in two days early than him but no image not too guttered any more, I mean, it does cost a lot! Now I want to get into GNR OR GMR not both... I want to Greece/Italy this summer so no chance of the funds at this rate!

Nice easy half hour run tonight. Not looking forward to it after three days of rest I'll be right back at the start I think- a well, have to stick to going down hill!

Edit: Just found the entries for the Isle of Man Half Marathon have opened. Oh jeez, I really don't know if I will be ready for a half by August never mind a local one!

• MJ - You sound like you have plans for the summer - GNR / GMR / Greece / Italy!!! Handy having such athletic BF / friends image August is quite a way away yet...

Anne - BOO to colds! Hope it clears soon.

• MJ, just have a look at some HM training plans that fit the timescale between now and the IOM. if the early weeks of the schedule are what you can do now, why not go for it??

before xmas the most i could run before i needed a walk as 5k. i then had a 4 week break (kids/snow). 

since then, my first post xmas run was 5k (without a walk), the following week (last monday) i did 5 miles without a walk. saturday i did the parkrun @ heaton and killed my pb. over 2mins off my 5k pb, almost 5 mins off my course pb. 

then yesterday i went out and ran 9 miles. the plan was not to do so many, and i still felt good after 6 so i carried on going. even at 9 miles i could of gone on for longer, but decided i better get back inside and see how my legs felt this morning. they are fantastic, almost tempted to go out again lol. 

as for the useful/stressful bit for the bf, all relationships can be stressful, least you can run the stress off together lol. 

• B&T- Hoping to enter either the Eastbourne, Seaford or High Wycombe HM, They are in June I think. Have a 10k booked for the   28th Feb  and Oxford Town & Gown when they realese the entry date, hoping to beat my 10k PB 49:28. At the moment plodding through the Hal Higdon HM plan, very good it is too. I'm in Oxford, the nearest HM to me is in Grove, Wantage area, but it's full. Blast!!!
  • Bats- Sounds like you have come on really well, what's your training regime, running 3 -4 times a week etc, are you following any plan?
  • Jammers - good times - speedy man! Seems like a 10k is a good training idea for most of us!

Bats -  I'm quite jealous now of how quickly you're coming on! I've been running for 9 months & only just got up to 8.6M! Without wanting to sound like a doomsayer, just listen to your body & don't push too far too fast. Last thing you want is to get injured.

• Manx Jade- I married a Manx lass 11 years ago, we live in oxford, but her mum has justed moved back to Ramsey, I was looking at doing the HM there, would be a nice one to do. Plenty of time to train, so get it booked!!!!
  • Hi Jammers. ty.

no plan as such.

tues & thursdays i go to a running club. both nights are dedicated to speed work.. when i frst joined at the start of dec, the warm up jog took me to the edge of my ability before needing a walk/rest and then the speed part kicked in (be it 400m 800, 1200m etc). 

while i was way slower than anyone else, it did build up my endurance and gave me the positive attitude that if i could half kill myself doing upto 7k in training (between the warm up and the reps), i could do a lsr of the same distance when on my own.  after each run now, im still feeling strong, my legs the following day are still feeling good too (when i first started even a 3k run would leave me with aches and pains the following day). 

im still the slowest one at the club, but the gap is starting to close a little now. 

sundays i try to get my lsr in, but i do go away a couple of times a monh, so if im away i try to get a minimum of 5k in on a sat night and do a lsr on the monday. if im home, lsr sunday, and a light run on the monday. (and a park run on the saturday).

i know it may sound a lot, but when i was under 21, i ran every day. i knew none of this rest day stuff. id take the dogs along the prom in morecambe every morning and sometimes the evening. it was never fast, and done out of enjoyment and more to exercise the dogs than myself. despite the years of neglect in between it has beeen like riding a bike, you dont forget how to do it. its just taken my body some time to agree to do it.

good luck for your upcoming racesimage

• Black And Tabby wrote (see)

Jammers - good times - speedy man! Seems like a 10k is a good training idea for most of us!

Bats -  I'm quite jealous now of how quickly you're coming on! I've been running for 9 months & only just got up to 8.6M! Without wanting to sound like a doomsayer, just listen to your body & don't push too far too fast. Last thing you want is to get injured.

cheers B&T. thats waht i did last night. i intended to do 6 miles, but still felt good. i looked worse than i felt lol. sweart was dripping off me, but inside the organs felt like they were well within limits, it was only really hills here i pushed myself a bit harder. any other time i slowed off the pace becasue i wanted distance first, times will come later.

dont be jealous either, as i said in the reply to jammers (i would of been typing that as your post hit the board), i did a lot of running when i was younger so that part of me is still locked away. 

my training may be claseed as foolish, and certainly not recommended to others but it work for me (or it has so far).