First Time Half Marathoners

Comments

• Bats, thanks for the adivce. The just getting around one is well within my limits, so if I can get the 10k distance and speed up to stratch in time for my race in May/April (hoping for 50 minutes) then I'll start adding on the distance for this half- and by then I should be more than capable of the more advanced plans yay.

Jammers you tried it then? There's only two locally, this one in the either hot sun or pouring rain (this is the Isle of Man) or one in November which will be freezing down south. I imagine it could be pretty fast ish, since it won't be massive. Not signing up just yet though since I'm supposed to be joining Manx Harriers and have to wait for my confirmation (yay cheaper races image) but will definately save me some money than travelling to the mainland!

• win win all the way then MJ. if your capable of getting around, thats half the battle. you'll find on a race day the andrenalin will give you an extra kick and help drive you even more. as long as you enjoy it though, it really should not matter if you come 1st or last, just keep smiling.
  • Haha, just been told apparently it's a pretty hilly course oh joys! And I have no chance of first Bats, there's a first Junior lady spot that would be pretty easy to get, but plenty of senior women took part last year image guess I'll have to settle for middle! Will be my first half anyway, and after a fortnight away, so I won't let myself be too guttered! Now just got to find a shorter local race which is sooner to see how well I've done so far. Jeez, local 4 miler races only start in April image And I am not doing the next cross country...
  • hills are good lol. nothing wrong with finishing in the middle either.

i started to get myself fitter after too many years of bacon butties and cigs. even if i finish last in a race, its still going to be a faster last that it would of been a year ago. im enjoying what im doing and he more i do it, the older i'll get so see my kids beimage

• Bats www.justgiving.com/david-huddleston wrote (see)

i started to get myself fitter after too many years of bacon butties and cigs. even if i finish last in a race, its still going to be a faster last that it would of been a year ago. im enjoying what im doing and he more i do it, the older i'll get so see my kids beimage

Hear hear!
  • I'm doing my first HM this year, I've been running about a year and last week decided it's time! At the moment my times are around 5k - 21:30, 10k - 45 min, 8 miles - 1:01 and I can run 10 miles comfortably enough, but I wanna break 1:40. I have around 9 weeks to train, not sure if it is realistic though as I only ran 10 miles for the first time a couple of weeks ago and have never ran farther.

• welcome Boley.

it should be a breeze for you. at least to run it all, the time may be a different matter. 

you'll be suprised how that 10 miles will lead to 11, 12 and 13 quite quickly. once the distance is done, you can start to imrove the pace and hopefully meet your target. 

• Anyone have any suggestions for a first half marathon?  I live in the south east and the earliest I could manage a half is May of this year.  I run 10k in just under an hour each week and do cross country with my running club every other weekend.   I will up the training for the half.  Just have to fit it around two toddlers under 3! Hmmmm...image

Thanks.  

• Hi Mama Sweetwater! Nice to see you on here.

Have you looked under the 'Events' section of the website? It has a search facility to show you events in different sections of the country, different distances etc.

Well done at getting out running with 2 under 3 - I struggled to get out the door even to go to work when mine were that age!

• boley- crikey your quick 10k 45 mins, you must be a natural, i think going on you past times you shold be able to do 1:40 for a HM no problem, 1:30 would mean a 8:05 pace which sounds doable.

Mama- i'm looking in the sotheast too! I'm in Oxford, but have family in brighton, so i might do Seaford or Eastbourne or nearer to me High Wycombe or Milton Keynes. Well done for getting out with such little ones. I guess yo have to pick your training carefully.

• Feeling worse than yesterday - SO frustrating! image

Good luck for everyone who WILL be doing training runs today.  Should I go back a week in my run when I can pick up my training again, or not worry too much about one or two sessions missed?  I know I'll be tempted to run all my week's runs one day after another when I'm feeling better, but that absolutely goes against my 'steady training' and trying to avoid injury...

• Hi Anne,

When you can run again, I would probably go back a week, just so you're not pushing yoursef too hard (don't need a sudden jump in distance when you're trying to take it steady!) Although, if I was running out of weeks before my HM I'd probably skip a few anyway!

I'm actually having to miss a week of my schedule week after next, and had a similar dilema as to what to do. (My schedule was timed perfectly to co-incide with my race day!).

Really hope its feeling better soon. No run for me today. One tomorrow then feet up until 10k race on Sunday. Better do some work today then!

• Hi Mama, well all that running around after the toddlers will have you beating me anyway! Good luck!

Anne I've got your cold image Woke up this morning and felt sluggish, but now I'm in school with a headache and feeling urghh... my run yesterday was in the first sun of the year as well! Even if it wasn't that amazing image Managed my first mile now can't even run two minutes! Think I need to nick the boyfriend's Garmin to check my pace seriously, that thing was a pretty good investment even if it was for him image

Hope everyone's had a good run- I hear the North's due more snow! Not going to hit me though (luckily and unluckily), some nice easy cardio/yoga on the Wii Fit for me tonight I think!

• Sorry ManxJade! image I'm afraid it's the full nine yards too - none of this 24 hr sniffles business, unfortunately.

• Feel better soon, MJ & Anne!
  • Anyone been running lately? I've just done my Week 5 run 2 - which was a 'faster' 3M. Ran at average 10:08 (which is faster for me!) and felt good.

10K race on Sunday so resting my legs until then (that's my excuse for sitting on the sofa, anyway!)

How's everyone else's schedules going?

• did 2 miles monday nioght after the 9 mile run sunday. tuesday was club night, 5k warm up then 10 x 400m fast (though not very fast in my case lol). rested yesterday and club again tonight. rest friday and then either park run sat or if im not around for it, 5-10k run sometime that day.
  • Sounds busy, Bats! Good going!image
  • Hi i'm going for my first HM this year. i've been running on and off for about 3 year, in March will be my first full year. I've done a few 10/11ks the last few years, been increasing the miles all winter so i can run my local HM. my times are 5k - 21ish, 10k - 45:25 sep 09 think i'm 2mins faster than that now. i'm hoping to run near 1:32 but will be happy with any time. My training,

mon - 6miles easy

tue - 6miles easy/tempo

wed - 10miles easy (Part HM course)

thurs - 6miles easy/intervals 800m

fri - 6miles easy

sat - 14/16miles long run (Part HM course )

Been taking it easy last few weeks didnt get many miles in over december , january had bad chest cold. so back uping the miles to 50 a week, then will start with speedwork when legs get used to it, there a bit stiff at the mo. picked up a few small injures i can run through, going to the physio next week. well thats me im off for a easy 6
  • Black And Tabby wrote (see)
    Sounds busy, Bats! Good going!image

ty B&T. , hard seesion tonight at the club lol. shorter warm up than normal, but a lot harder on the track . 800 hard 200 jog 400 hard 2 min rest. repeat 4 times.  i still kind of only have one speed but damn it took it out of me tonight lol.

welcome Jonathan. thats a busier schedule than mine, and you say thats taking it easy lol. just be careful that running through the small injuries. wouldent want to see them become a problem when a day or 2  rest could of resolved it. 

• Hi Jonathon. That's a lot of running a week! Which HM are you doing?

Bats - know what you mean about 1 speed, but I'm getting a little better!

• me too B&T, tghe early reps there is a difference, its the later ones where its a crawl around the track. still i keep going back for more lol.
  • it's kirkcudbright HM, yeah the injures go away with rest but return after first run back, hopefully the physio will give me some exercises to strengthen the weak tenden/ligerment/musel. sound like alot of miles but u get used to it. milege is the key to a fast HM i keep telling myself.
  • Hey how is everyone? I don't think I got into Great Manchester Run image Was due to find out today and no money taken out- think I'll just have to stick with the Women's 10k in Liverpool the week before instead. Now lets see about the Great North Run which I find out about next Thursday!

Well done with your session Bats, I only have one speed too- but right now I'm focusing on endurance rather than speed (unless it means slowing down- I was walking to the car today in skinny jeans and really wanted to run but couldn't image) I have a 5*1k session tonight, nice easy 5min/km pace (not that I'd survive going any quicker!) with 400m recovery so should take up an hour then working, love my social life!

Hey Jonathan can't say I know exactly how you feel, but my sister had an operation on her tendon last year and she was the really sporty one out of us, so to go from footie every night to being in a wheelchair for a week was pretty tough on her, and she didn't hide it. Thankfully she's had no such injuries since so it must be so much tougher for it to keep being repetitive! I'm sure the physio will be able to help you- our one was really great! Good luck!

• Aww sorry about manchester Jade. fingers crossed that its only becasue they have not made the draw yet.(and even tighter crossed you get into the GNR)

Liklewise im not too worried about speedwork, just want miles in my legs. But the club i go to only does speedwork/hillwork etc. of course some of them go for a long run, but usually those that are racing that weekend and sont want to risk injury doing anything too fast.

im still getting the miles in my legs whilst there though at least, 8+k last night even if there are some rest periods in it.  need to put as much effort in this week and next week, following week is half term lol. kindy winks will be staying here and 1) i dont have a babysitter, 2) i wouldent want one, like making the most of my time with them image 

• when is the draw for GNR? i entered all so got my fingers crossed. if i dont get in least my wallet will be happy.
  • reading from MJ's post, thursday 11th feb
  • Unless I'm wrong again I am pretty sure it's the 11th it should be on your email. And yes I did get into GMR! Bit of a late confirmation though! Better get training now oh no lol
  • Well done MJ, one down, one to go image

can i uncross my fingers and toes for a while now then lol. 

should be a good day in manchester if they have some other stuff like last year. a few of us are planning on drinks maybe a meal afterwards.  gives a few of us off the forum a chancce to meet up, see some old faces and kills time waiting for the days extra events to start.