Options

First Time Half Marathoners

Comments

• Options

Oh I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm running my first half this Sunday in Great Bentley and am really nervous! The excitement does break through at times - am looking forward to starting running at least...but the amount of club and experienced runners doing it terrifies me slightly - really don't want to be last..!!

I'd love to do a sub 2hr, but although I've done speed work over shorter distances, haven't really concentrated on my timing on my long runs (i.e. over 6 miles) so much....really hope the adrenaline gets me through.

I ran 10k - 50min28, when I probably wasn't as fit as now, so  I should have had the capacity to do it...but managed to tear an intercostal a little a couple of weeks back, still isn't healed fully...really really hoping Nurofen will get me through!!

Any race tips or advice to calm the nerves would be very welcome!! ..excuse me while I go eat ANOTHER bowl of pasta..

• Options

welcome in Shrimpy.

good luck for sunday, you're faster than me so i should take advice from you lol. im sure with the times you can do the 10k in, you'll be far from last. 

as for the race, just enjoy it. its your first one, you can chase times on the next one. 

dont weave in and out of people. uses a lot of energy and adds miles to the legs (ok well not miles, but adds extras that you dont need). 

• Options
    Ooooh, this is just the right thread for me too! I'm doing the Sussex Beacon half on the 21st. I'm a little nervous as training didn't go exactly to plan, what with Christmas, snow, and a week's holiday in the sun recently, but I'm also really looking forward to it! If I finish under 2:15 I'll be happy!
  • Options

Thanks so much Bats - I'll let you know how it goes! Doubt there'll be much weaving, but good advice - I've picked up that habit from running round parks in rush hour dog walker/slow walker period...

Totatola: I'm sure that rest will do you good; call it early tapering! Best of luck with it.

• Options

Welcome Totatola. I ended up with 4 weeks off from running over xmas, part kids, part snow but the rest probably did me more good than i thought it would.

Shrimpy, avoiding dogs is one thing, having a group of runners chatting away to each other in fairy wings is another lol. nothing against them doing it etc, but a bit of common sense from them would be nice. they always seem to try and get as close to the front as possible rather than let the more serious runner take up the front spaces and them start futher back. 

• Options
    yeah bats everyone thinks they need to start at the front. good luck shrimpy have fun
  • Options
    i find starting towards the back better (other than trying to avoid weaving), always feels better to overtake people than be overtaken image
  • Options

Thanks guys. Just back from 10 miles at 11 min/mile. Pretty confident now that I will at least finish the half in 2 weeks time, fingers crossed I'll meet my time goal too. Which races are everyone else targeting?

Good luck for your half tomorrow Shrimpy!

• Options

Hey - lots of new 'faces'!

Good luck tomorrow Shrimpy - no tips from me (newbie too!) - but I will be getting *all* my stuff ready tonight, so I don't forget anything tomorrow. I have a big list of things to remember so I can tick everything off. I'm doing a 10K tomorrow - first 'proper' big race so understand how you're feeling!

Hi totatola. 2 weeks to go - very exciting! 10 miles at 11mm sounds good to me. I've still got a few weeks to go to my HM, so a bit longer to get my mileage up, but I'm off for a weeks holiday soon which messes the schedule up rather!

Bats & Jonathon - I'll be starting well & truely at the back tomorrow. They have different sections for your expected pace, and yes I'll be at the back (without any fairy wings though. Maybe I should get some?!!)

MJ - congrats at getting into GMR - now the training starts in earnest!!!

Fingers crossed for some good running from us all this weekend image

• Options
    Thanks Bats, got to admit I am quite excited. I'm guessing there's little PB potential if I'm aiming for a fast time? I might be doing the one in Liverpool the week before still so works out quite well if I can try my speed at that one then relax in Manchester but we'll see!

B&T, yes it does! Been doing cardio all week (not sure why, cold at the beginning of the week but never got out all the rest besides a bit on the good ol' treadmill in the gym) and went out for my first run tonight. Wasn't expecting much, but managed 900m racing the boyfriend so it wasn't my usual nice, slow pace so pretty happy with it.

Pretty sure I'll be raising sponsorship for Asthma UK at Manchester now I have my place image Bit more initiative.

Wow well done totatola- 10 miles seems so far off for me! The adrenaline will definitely get you around from what I hear, and give you that extra boost, I'm sure you'll manage your time.

And good luck for tomorrow Shrimpy, but as B&T said, no tips from me I'm afraid!
  • Options

good luck to B&T and Shrimpy for their runs tomorrow. we want pics of the medal when you get home lol.

Totatola, im doing silverstone the week before your half. only 5 weeks or so to go image

MJ, depending how many are in each pen at manchester depends on chances of a pb. i'm guessing parts will get congested if its like sheffield was last year. the bonus is chip timing, at least you've not got 2 or 3 mins added before you get to cross the start line.

• Options
    Ooh thank goodness I found this thread - I am doing my first half marathon in a few weeks up at Silverstone - 5 weeks tomorrow in fact.

I went out on hilly roads last week and managed to bang out 18k in about 2:20-ish. So I am hoping adding an extra 1.1k, taking into account a flat course and that race day buzz, I am hoping to try to finish in under 2:30 on the day.

I think I have the endurance for it - I only stopped once, which was at about 16k when I turned a corner and saw a ridiculous hill which made me heart sink straight to my feet.

My concern is that I don't seem to have picked up any speed in my training!

As a bit of background, I lost about 6 stone through healthy eating (and no exercise) over a couple of years up to about summer last year then somehow really got into running. I signed up for a 10k at Leeds Castle in September, which was a tricky, hazardous, hilly affair which I completed in 1:02, with a few stops along the way.

On that basis and with training 3 times a week - one long run, one quick run, one hills/intervals session - I should have realistically been aiming for around 2:15 or maybe a bit less by now right?

Not sure what is going on with that, but atleast my endurance has picked up alot. I suppose I will need to just focus my training on speed more than distance these last few weeks.

Good luck to everyone out running this morning (seeing as it is past midnight!). I am going to try to push 10k and see what speed I can get to.
  • Options
    Sorry B & T, didn't realise your race was tomorrow too - good luck!! And skiing definitely counts as cross training by the way!
  • Options
    Okay thanks Bats, I think I must have put down around 50mins as my time- not that that's happening at the minute so better start towards the back!

404, I personally think your aim is reasonable (even though I am known for aiming too high!)

My run today just failed image wanted to try some 400m reps on my own for pace work but managed to get well confused with the Garmin! Managed a couple at 5-6min/km (apparently) and then got too cold and felt very ill- three slices of toast 15mins before a run is a very bad idea

Going out for a nice easy jog this evening just to prove I'm not that bad and it was the food's fault!
  • Options

loving 404's username lol. i have no speed as such 404, but i am faster than i was. i think once you go over a distance in taining (ie over 10k), on your next 10k run, you know toy can give that bit effort during the run, knowing you dont have to carry on for x mils afterwards. you'll probably also find you go faster on race days than you do in training anyway. havig people around lifts you, and i tend to try to hold onto the laces of someone a bit faster than me for as long as possible too.

MJ, lol, the toast thing definatly will not of helped you lol. i try to eat either pasta or porridge 1-2 hours befor a run. gives it chance to settle and fills me up enough for the run too. 

rather than get confused with the garmin, maybe you could mak out a 400m section before you do the reps on the distance. you could walk 400m with the garmin and mark 2 lamposts as the section to do your reps over. i get cold quick too during the rest mins on club nights. i find its easier to jog at walking speed just to keep ticking over rather than be at a complete standstill. i put 56-60 mins for manchester. (did put that down for yorkshire last year and did that in 1h 14mins, hope they dont check up on me lol). 

• Options

Thanks so much guys!! Oh what a buzz!! Just finished a massive lunch post HM...I did it!! As they say, it'll be all right on the (day?). Kept a good pace most of the way through of 9min/m - the marshalls were incredible - so supportive and smiley. I think the 4th-8th miles were the worst - you're nowhere near the finish, but you're not too fresh..My intercostal didn't start playing up till mile 8, by which point I'd blocked out the pain!

Started near-ish the back but not too far; you guys are right, definitely feels awesome to overtake. Plus, loved being able to overtake all the people who overtook me near the end. Sprint finish felt good too -my mum was quite emotional!

My jelly baby at 8/9 miles gave me a real boost - I'd recommend it to anyone!

Managed to do it in 1hour 55min I think (won't know proper results till later)...was SO pleased, as my dream time was 2hours. The last few miles were tough-ish, especially when you see people stopping to walk; I so wanted to join them! But once the end is in sight, you know you're almost there. Just kept thinking of the big lunch and the goody bag at the end...it's the little things that count!Love my race T-shirt too - makes me feel very professional!

Tapering really seemed to work too; my muscles were so full of energy this morning, dying to get out there. WOuld recommend Great Bentley to everyone (as we'll all be pros by next year..) - very flat and apparently very pb friendly, according to the experienced runners.

So if I can do it, all of you lot definitely can!! Best of luck with the training everyone; it's COMPLETELY worth it in the end!

How did your run go B&T? And ManxJade, don't worry, you need bad runs to make the good ones seem amazing! Bats, I'll get the pics uploaded soon - am very proud of my little medal!

• Options
    very well done Shrimpy and a nice report too. you've every right to be proud of your medal. i treasure the few i have, and so do my kids lol. every time they're here they find where i hide them so they can wear them lol.
  • Options
    Well done Shrimpo, Good soild consistant running, and energy for a sprint at the end, That's great.!!! Enoy yor rest time.
  • Options
    Well done Shirmpy!! loved your report. I am training for my first HM (which will also only be my second ever race.. doing a 10k at Trafford 2 weeks today for experience..) ,I am running Wilmslow on March 28th and I had a couple of work colleagues who started training with me with the intention of running it too but they dragged their feet and now are not doing it ..leaving me on my own! At first I was a bit annoyed but now after reading your report I think they are the ones who will be missing out! Your time was excellent.. I am hoping to break 2-15 .. I ran 10.35 m in 1 hr 43 last weekend and delibarately ran slower than normal to ensure I made the distance so I am hopeful I will do that. . Enjoy your rest and Well done again!
  • Options
    Well done. 1:55 is an excellent time - and with enough energy for a sprint finish! That is terrific for you - and there is also the extra boost you give other first timers that it can be done! Reading about experiences like that really get my blood pumping for my first HM, and hopefully getting up to a full marathon next year.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I did go out and do my 10k as I said I would. I think my post from late last night sunk into me a bit more and I woke up full of some funky mixture of testosterone and adrenaline. I did it in 56:56 - cutting my previous PB by just over 5 minutes. Hmm maybe I should try and p!$$ myself off late at night on a more regular basis. Lol.

On a side note, anyone know how to change user name without setting up a new account? I do want to post regularly here now that I have gotten over my initial e-conservative-ness (which was kind of why I had that user name - can't be too careful eh?) but I would rather do it with a name rather than being called 404. Haha.
  • Options

well done 404. inspird by everyone else, i've hust gone out and done 22k. took me 2.28.01 so im happy. when i started running id of been happy with a 3 hour half, now i know i can get at least 30 mins off that.

to change user name, click 'my forum' top right of page

then 'my details' which is over to the left, then type the username you want in the nickname box and save

• Options

Well done Shrimpy!! You sound as pleased as I am right now - and I only went half your distance!! What next then, eh??!!

Bats - I think you're right about once you've run over a distance, you *know* you can do it and have a bit extra as well.

MJ - hope you enjoyed your nice easy jog this evening. Reps are hard & horrible - if you have a bad run you *know* your next one will be better!

404 - you can only really work on distance or speed - not both at once (or so I've been told). Once you'v done this one, you can be speedier on your next hm!

James - good idea to do a 10k for the experiencce - that's what I did today! Pah to your colleagues - they're the ones missing out. My HM is the same date as yours - I've yet to reach 10M...

Right - race to day was fantastic image Before the start I seemed to spend my entire time queuing forr the loo, and I was very nervous. Got there nice & early as planned. so had the pick of the car park. Husband said "do you want me to park near the ambulance or the toilets?" - very encouraging! Lovely friendly atmosphere - really enjoyed it.I chatted to a few people  as I went round, and just generally enjoyed it! I usually run alone with music, so it was a huge novelty to run with 822 other people for a change.

Hills were tough, but ran all the way apart from a little walk on the steepest part of the last hill. Loved all the clapping & encouragement as we went round.

Ran it in 1:07 which I'm very pleased with as my only other 10k I ran in 64 min on a pancake flat course. Came 750th out of 823 - wasn't last!!! Loving my medal  image Might have to wear it all day tomorrow image

And yes bats - my kids have been pinching my medal all day - son eyed it wistfully tonigh and said "I wish I could have one of these" to which I sad "well - you know what you have to do!!!"

Sorry if I've missed anyone out too tired to page back any further! Hope evryone else had a good weekend, and lets have some more good training this week image

• Options

great reading B&T. is amazing how good you feel running with others than how you can do in training.

when i take my kids to the local park, its next to the running club i joined and they tell me they want to run on it to get medals like daddy. (well the girls do). my son when i said how much the girls walk compared to what he did at their age answered 'i wasent made to run like you, i was made to sit in front of a computer'. cheeky lil sausage lmao. 

you'll have to have a look for a local event that also has a fun run you can take your kids around. (just check they do give medals for that side of it too). i know the great run series usually have a kids event the day before, but cost more than the local ones do. 

ps, wear it with pride, thats what its for image

• Options

Thanks Bats - just noticed my awful typing in my last post! Hopefully you know what I meant!

Good idea about finding an event with a kids fun run (with medal!) as well. Son isn't very sporty at all - sounds like your son! - so maybe a medal would do it!

Right - think I've earnt a nice glass of muscle relaxant - Cheers!

• Options

i cant comment on anyones typing. i was always better at maths, and even when i spell words right in my head, i press the wrong keys going to fast anyway lol.

if your son is anything like mine, its just the thought of doing a 'run' that he does not like. yet he will run around with his mates playing football etc all day lol. 

take the day off tomorrow, and drink lots. if the boss asks why you are not in, tell him/her i declared a bank hollidave image

• Options

Aww thanks guys! Am glad it's inspired - it certainly has done me! Am feeling very pleased with myself, using the "I've just done 13.1 miles"  line to get food cooked/stuff done for me image

Well done B&T, that's fab! We had no hills on ours, so full respect to you for that.I love race banter - makes the whole thing so much more fun.

James, totally empathise - I used to try and drag my friends out to run, but if they're not into it, they're just not into it; best to just focus on you for a bit and enjoy the ride!

Night night all x

• Options

Bats - I have a very understanding boss - I'm self employed!

Shrimpy - hope you enjoyed being pampered today!

• Options

Shrimpy, no need for the thanks. if my legs are sore in the morning, i will blame you haha image

B&T. leave yourself a voicemail now saying you're taking the day off then. may come in handy if you wake up with a sore head image (i have found drinking southern comfort rather than lager leaves me fresher the next day).

• Options

No sore head to day  but slightly creaky / achy hips (that might be just the shock of finding out I was officially a 'veteran' yesterday!).

Will try and fit in a short slow runt oday to keep everything moving as it should, then a LSR on Wed / Thursday, then off on holidays!

• Options

Bats, generally I would too- however I was being lazy (the irony!) and got a lift down to the sports centre with the boyfriend so I could get straight on as soon as he opened it- of course, being lazy and all I completely forgot about getting my breakfast earlier, or even eating something lighter! I was on the track so I was just trying to be smart with the Garmin- damn thing! I'll have to try it again some time.

I only put down 50mins because I always run at 5-6min/km (don't know why, I can't seem to run slower!) so it does seem very quick now, but if I can get my endurance up, I'm thinking my stamina might just work itself out- otherwise I'll just stick to the back! I am hoping to get sub 50 this year though and aiming for sub 40 next year/2012 (island games- I do not set my goals too high! image But if it keeps me motivated! Hoping to get this and the half marathon but the half seems alot less likely- 90mins!)

Well done Shrimpy! Would love to see about the jelly babies, at the moment though anything that disrupts my breathing makes me feel ill- good to know that those sweets are good for something though! Yer, you should be proud of that medal- especially since you managed to smash your aim image And thanks, I always have these bad runs- even though this time I am blaming it on the Garmin, feeling a bit iffy today but if I feel better by this afternoon I'm planning a nice jog in the (omg) sun.

And thanks B&T I didn't end up going for my run in the evening though- kind of overloaded on dinner after work and Wild at Heart was on, then we decided to start planning summer holidays and wow, time flies! But definately out tonight, in the SUN!