First Time Half Marathoners

Comments

• Happy birthday Jonathan! Listen to your physio now!!!!

404 laughing at you getting the gel stuck in your pocket - that's the sort of thing I'd do! Obviously Tescos is the place to go!

I'd like to try them, as my mileage is (or should be!) creeping up. If they do nothing for me, then fair enough. However if they make my legs work again when I'm flat out, then hooray!!!

• Well i'm happy, Liverbird helped me with my hotel booking situation so thats sorted, just got to hope my payment clears now
  • happy birthday Jonathan

congrats to all those who made it image

• Hey guys I have applied for the Great North Run but I aint heard yet, keep checking my email every hour or so lol! So far I can only run 2miles as I am a beginner (though tried to begin in Sept last year but got knocked off course due to a severe strain of flu!) Thought Id join in on this thread as you all seem to be giving some good advice!
  • Hi Racheal! It sounds like its going to be a big party at the GNR! I feel like I'm missing out! Are you following any particular schedule to get your miles up? (I think I'm obsessed with schedulesa!)

Manx Jade - you sound like you have a busy summer planned! 

Just got back from my last run before my holiday (yippee!). Thought I'd better got a long run in, so I can keep up with my schedule and get close to 13M before the big day. So set off for, and DID 9M - longest ever run image However, I think it was a mistake to go for such along run 3 days after a 10k race, as my legs just felt dead all the way round.  It was extremely hard work, and my left knee started twinging as I was nearly home which wasn't nice. I took it really slow (couldn't do anything else, to be honest) and got back in 1: 43 which was an average pace of 11:05. My Garmin says I actually ran 9.35M, but I think it needs callibarating again, as mapometer says it was 9. But I made it, need to put a big fat tick on my schedule, and put my running stuff away until I get back!

Hope's everyone else doing today?

• Afternoon all,

Went for a 3.7 mile run this morning (all i could manage in the time frame allowed) Feeling tired at my desk in work, another coffee me thinks.

Rachel i didnt actually get an email from the GNR bods, just went on the GNR site and followed the link for the ballot checker, entered my details and it told me if I was in.

Black and Tabby congrats on your long run, well done. Where are you going for your holiday?

• Im not in image feeling really gutted to be honest! But last year I registered my details with alzheimers charity so hopefully will get a place with them.

Im at the moment following a plan on the training room website which is good but sometimes I feel like I could carry on so I do!

I have probably missed this somewhere earlier in the forum, but what do people do for cross training? At the moment I just swim or walk the dog as Im not part of a gym but I feel like I should be doing some "core work" too, such as pilates?

• Rachael sorry that you didnt get in, but as you said hopefully you get a place through the charity.

I've had an email from Asthma UK who i'm seriously considering running for.

• Hi all
    Room for another one?!

Not strictly first-timer as ran GNR in 2008.  To all those who are in, think you'll have a blast.  The support is amazing, though you might end up running 14 miles zigzagging through crowds.

I'm entered for 2nd HM at end of March, Wilmslow.  Training behind plan though and I'm only up to 3.5 miles and running 3 or 4 times a week.  Might just make it but I'm not going to push the mileage up too hard and risk injuries. 

If don't make Wilmslow I'll be looking for another later in the year.  Considering Race the Train August in mid-Wales.  Looks a pretty tough course but rewarding I hope!

Good luck with the training all.

• Yes I do B&T, expensive and all! But we're cycling through Greece so shouldn't be too dead for GNR- I hope! Have a half over here I might try out first just to get back into running but I'd rather focus on 10k!

Copycat Jay, I've just signed up with them image Least there's no minimum sponsership if you use your own place but definately a great charity.

Sorry to hear that Rachael maybe next year- don't think I would've been too guttered if I didn't get in since the price is pretty steep! For my cross training I focus on core strength, since I suffer from really bad stitches, but I do a bit with free weights for the arms. I've just started going to the local athletics club's cross training sessions which are really ace but really hard work so I wouldn't push yourself!

• heh ManxJade, I think I actually chose them when i entered my details for the ballot.

To be honest I cant really think of a better cause, seeing as though i suffered with it when i was a child. Plus the vest looks rather nice as well.

• Haha, think I looked at them- they were my original reason for signing up (my doctor told me I only had a tendency for asthma and it sparked an idea) but then I got freaked by the idea of the minimum sponsership- I hate asking for money from people! Only looked into it properly yesterday.

Yer, my mum has it (and smokes image) and I inheritated the tendency from her apparently.

• Oh I havent looked at the minimum sponsorship.. surely that doesnt matter as much now that i've got a place on my own though does it?

Ah infact just seen this.

Own place runners

The ballot entry for the Bupa  Great North Run 2010 event is now closed. Should you be lucky enough to gain your own place in the Bupa Great North Run then we would love to have you join our team. There is no minimum sponsorship target - all that we ask is that you raise as much as you can.

• They can hardly tell you that you have to raise a minimum amount if you've got a ballot place!

They're just glad to have you on board.image

• Jay Snizzel wrote (see)

Plus the vest looks rather nice as well.

image Jay - I'm off for some Alpine Cross training (and bread, cheese & wine eating / slurping. Can't wait - snow is really good, and for the first time this year I'll be *meant* to be sliding on it and wearing an appropriate number of layers, not struggling to stay on my feet in lycra!

Rachael - sorry you didn't get in image Have you another race planned? Don't know about cross-training, as I don't do any! However i walk quite a bit getting children to and from bus stops etc, so I count that. On another thread, one lady refers to 'domestic cross training' which sounds familiar! I guess its anything different to running, basically?

Hi Barry - always room for another one! And anothe rone with their HM at the end of March - obviously a popular time for them! Sounds sensible to be cautious about pushing mileage up too quickly. Even just adding on an extra mile a week I'm feeling it! race The Train sounds interesting - it doesn't involve racing the train up Snowdon, does it???? Please tell me it doesn't!

• Hi B&T

Race the train is in mid-Wales - would definitely be giving a swerve if it was up Snowdon!  There's a few runs on the same day from something like 3.5 miles to 14. Most of it is off-road following a little railway line.  Looks pretty hilly.
    There's a BBC video on their website  http://www.racethetrain.com/event-description.html

Have a great skiing holiday.  Reckon a downhill run counts a couple of miles!

• Evening all.

Think the cold has lost all novelty value for me now - absolutely sick of it! Last week I seemed to get a real adrenaline rush from the "thrill" of venturing out in it. Now it just put me off my run for tonight.

On another note, I got an email from CARE International today - I had put my name on the mailing list for the 2011 London marathon. Apparently they do still have some space for 2010. I was soooo tempted to sign up but my family convinced me not to - their reasoning being that they want to make a huge song and dance about it when I do it and need a lot more time than 10 weeks to plan ahead and they want me to be alot more comfortable doing it. So 2011 I shall aim for.

BUT if anyone wants to go for it, or knows anyone who would be interested, let me know and I can pass on the details. But will probably need to know ASAP because the charity needs to know by 4.30 Thursday!!
  • Hi guys,

Blimey I'm creaky this evening. image

Think I've pushed things a little this week. Had speed training on the training plan today but had to do it on treadmill in gym - it's been snowing on and off all day up North and pavements and roads are really icy. Struggled with it a bit as legs were really heavy - felt everyone of my 43 years when I'd finished. image

I should have had a rest day yesterday instead of hitting the weights I think. - bit of lactic in the legs today!

Going to rest properly tomorrow otherwise I've no chance of doing the 7 mile LSR on Saturday!

Good luck and well done to everyone who's doing the GNR - plenty of time to get those miles in! Leeds 1/2 in May seems a bit too close for comfort for me today. image

• Barry - had a quick look and 'Race the Train looks fantastic - and very very British! Defintely hilly though...

404 (not changed your name yet??!) I think you're probably being very sensible to wait until 2011 for a marathon. The difference between rushing into something, not really having time to train properly and just getting round on the day, vs. a proper build up, decent amounts of training and having a brilliant time on the day. I think I'll also give it a miss this year -don't know if I *ever* want to attempt a marathon!

Once I'm out in the cold I'm okay, but its definitely harder to persuade myself to get outof the door at the moment. Yesterday I was thinking "I really should go out now, because look - the sun's shining!" I looked a bit more closely, and yes the sun was shining, but snow flakes were fluttering down as well. sigh!

How are you this morning, leedlass? Not too creaky I hope! I know what you mean about feeling your years - I was the same last night, and I was feeling each of the miles I'd run as well! May - ages away image Just realised if I've finished week 6 of my schedule, that's half way through - so it can only be 6 weeks to my HM - eeek!!! Still, my next LSR when I get back will be 10 miles, and I keep being told that a lot of schedules don't go over 10M for a HM, and if I can do 10 I can do a full HM - so gettkng into 'doube digitd' will be a good milestone for me!

No running for me today. Well, just need to chase round after the cats and get them to the cattery (one has already broken through the locked cat flap and is currently swanning around the garden, I swear he has his tongue stuck out, saying "nerr nerr ne nerr nerr!"). Then packing, tidying, hoovering out the car - nice easy day NOT!

• Yes, Jay, that's what I found yesterday too image quite thankful, got an email yesterday saying I should recieve the fund raising pack within 10 days! Considering the race isn't until September I'm more likely than not to lose it if I'm not careful! Lime green top- nice!

404, that's probably very sensible! I know it would be a very difficult decision for me- if I get a mad idea, wherether it's possible or not, I have to go for it... Then it's only once I realise that it was madness I want to get out of it. Now you've got a very reasonable aim.

Urgh I am so sore from that club night on Tuesday! Wanted to do some 1k reps tonight but I've been persuaded to rest, told the boyfriend he'll just have to get out with me on Valentine's day since he's missing his cross country image Want to crack 2k before the end of next week since I'm just over a mile now then I'm a fifth of the way to that all important 10k! Then hopefully it'll be easier with less pushing to each kilometer

• Well i finally got my email through from the GNR team to tell me that I was successful with my ballot application (nice of them to let me know)

Checked my bank and the money still hasn't gone out.. oh well.

ManxJade, i think before i settle on Asthma UK i'm just going to have a look at the other charities and see which ones are affiliated.

I'm thinking a 2-3 mile run tonight, time is a little tight tonight but cant wait for my LSR at the weekend.

• Evening all.
    How is everyone doing?

B & T - I was going to change my name but I've decided to keep it. Its grown on me. Hehe. Hope you have a great holiday (or had, if you're reading this when you come back!).

I've been going to this running club for a few weeks which is run by a personal trainer who is also an amazing runner. Only 3 people (including myself) turned up today so he paired himself up with me - he quite literally dragged me through 7.4km in 38:30! My previous best time for that distance was something like 42. Such a massive morale boost. I am on a major high - although I cannot physically move my legs now and am wheeling myself about on my chair.
  • Glad to hear everyones coming along well! I have decided to do a local half marathon to me which is in october so I now have even more time, however I am thinking of doing the cross bay challenge which is in June, thats another half marathon across sand so Ill have to change my running plan if i want to get into enough millage for that one!

Leedslass, I know what you mean about the snow, I live in cumbria and although there isnt any laying its still fluttering and making it very cold, plus its a freezing wind, goes right through you doesnt it?!

404, its an amazing feeling when you realise you went further or faster isnt it? You can actually see the improvement!

• hi all, couple of days away and back again. hope everyones plans are coming along.

Rachael, when is the cross bay challenge? may have to try and get that one in with the others im doing (still being a morecambe lad at heart lol)

• Afternoon all,

Just got back from my 7mile LSR. Ran a circuit route around the racecourse - cold, wet and blowing a gale! I reckon it's worth double! image

Its the furthest I've run outdoors so quite chuffed with myself, especially bearing in mind the conditions!

Had a night on the town last night but didn't go too mad with the drinking so thankfully today wasn't too bad.

Can rest for the evening and tomorrow with a smug satisfied glow of a job well done.

Good training everyone - keep going

• Hi guys hope everyone's okay. Very little running for me lately due to still being sore from athletics training but went down the track yesterday with my sister (who insists she can not run more than a lap) and managed three laps with a lap recovery between each.

Just realised I'm now doing four races for charity this year!

Sport's relief mile middle of next month (I'm doing three miles hopefully)

Great Manchester Run for a local charity

Race for Life in July (this isn't confirmed though)

Great North Run for Asthma UK image

Hope my mates aren't too skint by the end!

Leedslass- well done on your longest run. Still miles to go before I catch up (quite literally!) and the weather definately makes it more of an achievement!
  • Hope you have lots of friends Iol
  • Evening all.

I managed 6.7 miles this morning, longest run this year, woohoo Liverpool Half marathon is 6 weeks today as well.

Oh and my ipod lasted all the way round as well, i think it doesnt like being shaken too much

• Hi!

I am doing my first half marathon in 4 weeks at silverstone.  I did 8 miles today ( longest ever I have run!) and really felt it after, but not too bad now!  I am doing 10 next sunday and then my taper the week after.  I am terrified I won't do 13.1 miles on the day, although my running partner is fantastic and keeps me going, but will my legs keep going?!  I'm trying to stay motivated and positive, but every now and then the doubts creep in!  Anyone else feel like this and any suggestions on how to deal with this?

• Hello All!  I was pointed in this direction by Black and Tabby whom I met on the Longleat 10K forum (though we didn't manage to meet up on the day, despite only being 1 min apart at the end!).  I too am doing my first HM (at the end of March in Bournemouth).  Have done a few 10Ks over the past 18 months, though hardly at any great speed.  Am following a get-you-around schedule (the one on 2:09's website) and ran 7 miles yesterday, which was the furthest I've ever run (I am feeling it too Croz, especially as I did my first hill session the day before, and woke up with rather sore bottom muscles!).  The longest run on my plan is scheduled to be 2 hrs, which I reckon might be around 11 miles if I'm lucky).  Is that enough?  I too am worried about the extra on the day... A friend who is training for the same HM (at opposite end of country) is ALREADY doing 10 miles and is planning on running 13 before the day.  I feel like an underperformer...