Options

Tales from behind the counter.

Comments

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Ooh countershop staff...do keep this thread going.

Ive not read it all, but which town/area are you?!?

I spent many years in retail as a student....oooh the stories i could tell.

Someone trying to return something they said they had bought in our shop....when I pointed out a price ticket on the item of a competitor's store they left raterh quickly!

• Options

I intend to keep it going Nick.

I've had "customers"  who are a little cleverer than yours. They had removed the price tickets and then presented their unwanted "gifts" on the counter for a refund. I pointed out that the items on the counter bore no relation to the items on the receipt.

I'm sorry Madam, I don't sell tennis rackets.

No sorry, none at all.

Yes, I'm sure I haven't got any in the stock room

No,  sorry, no tennis balls either.

• Options

One or two people have asked me where my shop is but I shan't be revealing any info I'm afraid.

• Options
    countershopstaff wrote (see)

Regarding studies linking over-pronation to injury. I'm afraid this is beyond my field of knowledge. Im sure that there are some but bear this in mind:-

I see many runners complaining of knee problems who over-pronate. The running shop answer is to put them in a shoe that will help prevent the overpronation. I'm sure that an expert in the field will probably tell me that this is wrong but when these same runners then contact me a few weeks later and say all the pain has gone, well that's fine by me. As to when pronation become over pronation, we'll leave that answer to the experts as well.

I also see many people every week who overpronate in their current shoes and it cause them no problems. So why change them.

This is interesting and thanks for being honest.

In a way this is unsatisfactory for me.  It's become accepted lore that you need running shoes fitted properly but it seems to me that in the shops the staff are taught to look for specific things, without really knowing why. 

It's great for stopping people buying tennis trainers for running in, but how much does it really reduce injury risk? 

Is there a case to be made, for example, that people with good 'natural pronation' are likely to be given shoes that reduce this natural pronation because the running shop employee can't tell the difference between that and harmful pronation.  Then as a result are given shoes that actually increase injury risk.  Is it even possible to tell the difference with the tools at their disposal?

I don't know the answers myself but it is an interesting topic. 

• Options

Good points again Moraghan. The tools at my disposal are literally a treadmill, a laptop and a video camera. How the findings are interpreted is always a bone of contention. Ask several different people and they will see several different things. I've been on bio-mechanics courses but what I've learnt merely scratches the surface. Some runners seem to think that pronation is a bad thing. Obviously this is not true as pronation is a natural occurence. Over pronation can (and does) cause problems to some runners but with others it causes no problems at all.

Of course there is the forefoot versus heelstrike argument.

The base training argument.

The pose argument.

The list is endless.

What I will say is that running is something that you shouldn't really have to think about too much. As that well known brand say "Just Do It".

• Options
    I agree with nearly all of that, although I think most people take the simplicity of running as an excuse not to be smart as well!

Hey, what about the price of that bodyglide?
  • Options

FWIW I usually use the local running shop to get me fitted out in a new pair of trainers.  Having run in them for a couple of months and having gotten on well with them, I often then buy one or two more pairs online at a lower cost.

One thing that annoys me as a customer is other customers who knock something off of a shelf, look down at it and then walk off.  Equally as annoying are those who walk down an aisle where something is on the floor and they leave it there.  I know you are a customer but surely it doesn't take a second to lift it up.  I always do as I'd not want to take something off of the shelf to buy and find it covered in dirt or footprints.

My nearest running shop is an hours drive but is more than worth it.  The workers are mostly seen running in the races at weekends and often chat about the local running scene as they help you out.

• Options
    Moraghan please read-analysis leads to paralysis
  • Options
    Lardarse did i touch a nerve,only telling you what happens,i've been a runner for over 30 years and in retail(running)for over 20 years.personally i feel the whole gait thing has got out of control and whether you like it or not customers come in with a little bit of knowledge and complicate what is a very simple process and do daily try to pull the wool over our eyes.  It seems to have got worse progressively over the last ten years.  I have seen thousands of runners in shops over the years and have wonderful feed back and plenty of repeat custom because I feel I keep it simple and listen to customers as well as look at whats in front of me.  I have met podiatricsts and other experts over the years and in that time I can count on one hand the good ones, they just complicate the process and as for personal trainers/coaches well lets just leave it there for another day !
  • Options
    Moraghan you really need to shop around some of the things that have happend to you are not on,as for size 12s now thats weird,in our shop were as likely to have run out of most sizes equally(size 12 is common these days,maybe it's all that shredded wheat!).If we run out of a size we will order one,people these days are so impatient and want every thing yesterday,do you think we have a magic everlasting stockroom,we have 2 to 4 shoes in all sizes,they sell at different rates,we then order sorry if you have to wait sometimes.What i can tell you is as a shop our customer orders  for shoes are on average 2%per week i think thats pretty good,as for wearing shoes outside how can you tell by running up and down outside a shop!,we do better then that we let you take them home and use them!if there not right you can bring them back no problem and we start again until your happy,problems are always going to happen,things will always go wrong its how you deal with it that matters,you dont stay in this sector for over 20 years if you cant handle customers in a reasonable manner,also if we dont know you we have to keep an eye on you when testing shoes,i know its hard to believe but people have run off with our shoes without paying!if we know you and you dont need our full attention we love that,it means we can serve someone else,like i said shop around.I would love to tell you where my shop is,but feel in the long run this would cause issues,and all i want to do here is vent.As for customers bringing back shoes this is on average 4%!i think you will argee pretty damn good.
  • Options

Runner - that made my eyes hurt!

Yours sounds like a better operation.  All I am able to do is report on my experiences in this country.

Ordering shoes in is all very well but it means a repeat trip and for me that's a roundtrip of 60 miles each time (and that's to shops I currently find unsatisfactory).  I understand the problems with regards to sizes but it seems I was spoilt by my experience in the USA where they always had a very deep stock of every shoe.

You can't fully tell by running up and down outside - my only point was it's better than only being able to try it on a treadmill.

I think both you and countershopstaff could both tell us what county you reside in - that won't break any rules and might tell me whether a special trip is worthwhile in the future.

• Options

like i said our customers orders are only 4%,which i know compares well to the USA.

We will also deliver the shoe ourselves if it's within 15 miles of the shop,if not we post

Where do you live! 60 miles from a running shop!lol

as for telling you where my shop is,sorry no chance-1-we dont need the extra trade(last 2 years best ever)

-2-it will cause problems,this happened to a friend of mine. 

-3-i did'nt get into running retail for the money more the lifestyle,"find a job you love,and never have to work again".even with the odd crap customer!

• Options
    Sorry about your eyes.lol
  • Options
    correction 2% customer orders,even better.
  • Options
    30 miles each way - 60 miles round trip.  I don't think of myself as living out in the sticks either!
  • Options
    I'm happy for customers to try on as many items of clothing as they like. But please don't keep browsing around the shop whilst doing so and therefore blocking the fitting room for other customers.

Please don't just leave the unwanted items on the floor. Have the decency to hang them on the hooks provided or if you are feeling really energetic pass them back to me.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ...and I bet you HATE those 'customers' who turn up in the shop about 5 minutes before closing.....
  • Options
    Oh yes Nick. I do. The store is open 60 hours a week which I feel is enough.

Top tip. As most running shops offer club discount, if you are trying to claim the discount for a club that you are not a member of, at least do some research so that you actually know the name of the club.
  • Options
    And in addition to my last post, especially do not give the name of the club that I'm a member of because that really does make you look very silly!
  • Options
    Parents.
    Please understand that childrens shoes are fitted by foot size and not age. It is very difficult for me to accurately advise you as to whether the footwear will be the correct size if you forget to actually bring your child with you.
  • Options
    This week, apart from the usual tales, I shall be telling  you about the wonderful rewards that my employer gives me for making them lots of money.
  • Options

I used to work in a shop. All year we would return stolen cards to card companies and get £50 for the abuse we took from the thieving B'stards who tried to use them. Our generous owner would then use to use this money to fund our christmas party!

I also used to get customers asking for items we didn't stock them demand to know where they could get said item. How do I know where you can buy womens bras or kids clothes? I'm a single bloke with no kids!

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Minimum wage then countershop...with small % of commission?

...when doing gait analysis, and the person in question is a lady....do yo umake her stay on the treadie a bit longer than necessary if she is 'blessed' and things are jiggling around?!?

• Options
    image  Ah, but...... if Counter is female it could be the men she makes stay on the treadie longer  image image
  • Options

I worked in a climbing shop as a kid.

I had a customer who, on a pair of half-price sale boots, spent 30 minutes following me round the shop as I was dealing with other customers, trying to haggle with me to knock £2 off the price. In the end I took them off him and said 'at this price they'll be sold before the end of the day anyway. Do you want them or not?'

He didn't buy them and I sold them an hour later to someone else.

Grr.

• Options

I worked in a small camping shop and for some reason people though I worked on commission!

If only, when the minimum wage was started I got a massive pay rise and tight fisted boss was far from happyimage

Also alot of people say the british don't haggle, but never a day went by without me being asked "what's your best price?" or "do you give discounts?"

• Options

Number one thing my staff say annoys them,customers who answer their mobiles while serving them.

What annoys you the customer about running shops(we really want to know,it's not a one way streetimage)

• Options
    Oh yeah and stinky feetimagelol