House Buying

Comments

• bulk buy then....
  • Other than what everyone else has said, check the EA's website for flood risk levels
  • Indeed Farnie and a lot of new houses round here have been built on floodplains
  • My brother found a house he loved. I checked out the website and although the house was ok if there had been a flood it would have cut the off as the only road in and out would be affected
  • take some of the EA advice with a pinch of salt though - there's also a lot of scaremongering so check with local history as well

I live on a marina next to the sea - it's 400m from my house to the beach as the crow flies. there was all sorts of guff going on when they built the whole place up (5000 properties in total - including many flats) that we are at risk of flood from rising sea levels, high tide surges, sea defence breaches. to date - no problems and even with tidal surges we have had no worries.

long term if global warming and sea level rises continue it may cause problems but I'm sure the EA would put bigger defences in than risk a whole catastrophe.......

I'll be long gone before then though!
  • Can I have your gaff the FB?

i'll park you and your carer in that nice place with all the handrails down the road 
  • Hi Meldy

Used to work for a building society in mortgages so title took my interestimage

Your question re how long a mortgage offer is guaranteed for?  We may be talking about two different things here if this is connected to the helpful advice re being in stronger position when you want to put an offer in.

A formal mortgage offer is issued once you have had your offer accepted and the address of a property is known i.e a mortgage valuation has been done.

However from most lenders you can get a 'mortgage promise' or 'agreement in principle' which basically is a piece of paper which confirms the amount of money you will be lent based on basic details re income and finances you have given. This 'promise' is subject to the information you have given been checked out once you have found a property.  This normally holds good for 3 months, but may vary from lender to lender.

The benefits of a promise is that is helps demonstrate to an estate agent or seller how serious you are about buying a property and could put you in a better bargaining position and gives you a good indication of the property price range to be looking at .

Hope this helps.Feel free to PM me.image

• Yes, thank you - it was the agreement in principle I was referring to

I know from the IFA what mortgage I could get potentially and I obviously know what deposit I have,  does the potential differ from reality greatly?  

Another question whilst I think of it and having spoken to a number of people whilst I continue with my delaying tactics,  some have said to go for the greatest amount that you can get,  maximise ...

is this a wise decision to make bearing in mind I would have thought that this day and age that presumably lenders are not lending over and above capability?
  • When I got my mortgage, it was a fixed rate deal for 3 years - an offset mortgage with First Direct.

Because it was a deal they said that the offer held for 6 months as "they have made the deal for the funds" or some such language - basically they were saying because we had the offer accepted the funds were "reserved" for 6 months. Whether this is bollocks or not  couldn't say.

At that point the main thing we had to do was to provide them particulars of the house we wanted to buy and away we went. We went from offer to completion in 6 weeks.

One last thing - "Daft" offers are always a good ploy when its vacant posession - could be a son or daughter who want the cash for mum/dads house sharpish and a first time buyer who's not in a chain is a godsend.

We also looked at a couple of repossessions - not the best experience in the world and the issue with those is that even if your offer is accepted the bank reserves the right to pull out at any time if they get a bigger offer - granted anyone could do that but I trust people more than I trust the banks.

• oo just read LJB's post - basically what Lesley said.
  • WTF has that got to do with it?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You can use this website to check the values of properties sold.

Very interesting for nosey parkers image

• Thanks guys

Have just seen that there is a second phase new development inc Key Worker housing and its in the village .. will be a few compromises but certainly worth looking at 40% share

• Just less than half   image
  • JM its a scheme to assist key workers to get onto the housing ladder

You buy the 40% share (or whatever) a housing association owns the remaining share and lets that share to you at a reduced rate.

Info Here
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Shared ownership has been around for a while, JM, it's not just for key workers.

You can increase the bit that you own as and when you have the funds to.  You can end up owning it all.

• "Move up north Meldy. You can buy a detached 5 bed for £50!"

move to one of the shittier Welsh valleys - you can buy a whole street for that........image
  • Wilkie,  not always the case now

Yes it has been around for a long time and various councils and associations run variations of the scheme.  Most new developments now have to offer a % of Keyworker housing but will also extend the offer to other buyers as you see marketed.
    What has tended to change nowadays is the chance to buy more shares and a lot of Associations dont offer this and prefer to hang on to their share of the property ....

That said, its still an option and it is an option that allows me to stay in the village that has been home for 20 years +
  • "it is an option that allows me to stay in the village that has been home for 20 years +"

have you actually asked other villagers whether they want you to stay???

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I looked at shared ownership briefly a few years ago, but found something I could afford 100 percent of.

I think you'd probably have to MARRY the rich old man, to ensure that you got the house eventually.  However, I'd check carefully for any wills that might leave it to someone else image