Abingdon Marathon 2010

Comments

• quick question

are they really strict about not using ipods.

i hope not cos i do most of my running to music.

• In the absence of a waiting list 2009 there was a separate thread where number transfers were sorted out with agreement of the organisers. But some posts earlier it was stated there would be a waiting list 2010, so if you want a place best get on that. It filled up this quick in 2009, a large number dropped out and just about everyone who wanted a place got one. So most people who get on the list should be OK.

Yes they are strict about MP3/IP*d's. Think there were DQs in 2009. Still, you've plenty of time to get used to it...........or failing that get a refund I suppose.

• Alpha - It is very definitely no iPods.  Last year there were few road closures and some difficult road crossing controlled by marshalls and not police as TVP no longer cover this sort of thing.  I suggest that if you really can't cope without music then now is the time to drop out while you can get a refund.  However, consider the fact that I train with an iPod but have never used it in a race (not even a recent marathon with only 31 runners).  There's plenty of other things to focus on like mile markers and drinks stations that you don't get in training.
  • The use of iPods etc affects their licence to hold the race which is why more races are becoming stricter on them.
  • morning all

just to let you know if you wanted to stay the night before the marathon.then about 12 miles away at the newbury travelodge on the M4 they are doing family rooms for just £9 at the moment......

• I'm in! 

Entered last week, just a few days before it filled up.  Phew.

Will be a <2:45 attempt I think.  Crikey - it hurts just thinking about it.

• I sent my cheque off a few days ago, hope I get in. If not I will be very high on waiting list as as they offer refunds on pull out I should be ok.

I looked at lasts years results and there were only 700 runners

• I am number 11 on the waiting list. i will carry on as if I have a place.
  • Oh dear, I have been asleep....................better get on the waiting list I suppose image
  • MalamlilMalamlil ✭✭✭

World record (and a hald) attempt  at Abingdon?! In a moment of elation or delusion earlier today , caused by a fortnight of running without breaking anything obvious, I thought I might try to get within 50% of the world record time at Abingdon  (3:05:58 - unless it changes before then). Anyone care to join me ?

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I might be able to manage that if I was doing a half, but not a full marathon.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Malamlil, that sounds like a bit of a challenge. Abo will be my first marathon and am currently on the injury bench, but a possible (if unlikely) target such as that could keep me motivated throughout the summer.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Alpha - yes they are strict - but why not get any tame supporters to bring their boomboxes. Or fellow runners to sing to you. I expect to be marshalling and will have the disco bike out again!

I like to run to music myself (but have a special set of 'phones with only one earphone that I use for training + racing to always leave one ear free for traffic, marshalls etc). TBH I have found in the races I do where earphones aren't allowed I don't go any slower or feel any grimmer image so I'd say just toe the start line with everyone else & don't worry about it.

• Wasthat you with the speakers on the bike rack last year?
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Yep. What I want to know is who was the lady (in pink?...) who was throwing up on Peep-o-day Lane (just south of the sewage works).
  • I ran the 2009 Abingdon Marathon and thorughly enjoyed the whole event - I would like to run again this year but see that the entry is already closed.

I have sent my entry to the organisers anyway to sit on the waiting list, but if anyone has an entry that they do not now intend to use, or knows of anyone in that position, can you please contact me so that we can swap entry details.

My e-mail address is

markring1@sky.com

Thanks

Mark

• Mark - last year there was a thread specifically for a RW waiting list
  • im in, number 31, remember entering the twisty bit before the stadium last year in agony with stress fracture in 2nd metarsal and a lady with bike ran along side me for a bit and gave me the lift i needed to finish, was that you Fido 2 dogs
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    If it was a fool woman with a big electric bike with a boombox on the side and a fluoro buff on her helmet then it might have been... it's a bit harsh making people run round Tilsley Park at the end (though I think they clear out any dead bunnies beforehand at least!)
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

From you guys who have run before: Any tips?

I know the course is flat. Therefore should I avoid / not bother with hill training / intervals in the build up? How is the water given? Bottles or cups?

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

cups iirc BUT you can have your own drinks put out - so if you want bottles.... with the sports drink of your choice -

The course is not pancake dutch flat but no more than very mildly undulating. 

• I haven't done this marathon before but I would say that it is important to include hill training  and intervals in your training (obviously not as much as if you were doing Snowdonia).

• The only real hill I remember was out of an underpass late on and then the rise back onto the track
  • How does getting your own sports drinks put out work?
  • when u 've run Gloucester fM all 3 laps of it

passing Mrs SB going down hill often, it makes Abingdon look like a down hill pancake

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons not sure about Abo but when I did a mara which offered this, you handed in your drinks with your number on them the day before. Someone else should be able to comment re. Abo. You do have some months to find out image

mick-n-phil yes nowt compared to H. Wycombe eh?

SB yes cruelly they make you go thru underpass now.... when I did it in '06 you could go topside but a) Stratton Way was 1-way then not 2-way and b) they had a large, VERY LOUD Welshman  there and woe betide any misbehaving drivers faced with him! image You lot don't have to do the last miles in the wilds of Gozzard's Ford and face the cruel 18 miles this way 26 miles that way sign though!

• Hi Sparkly Bridget, thanks for your tip, I haven't been able to find a similar thread though as yet for this year, if you, or anyone, know of one can you let me know please ?

Are you planning to run Abingdon this year ?

• I don't think there'll be a numbers swap thread as Abingdon Amblers are running there own waiting list - they didn't last year.

Fido is correct about the drinks, you need to get them there the day before to be put out.

That underpass feels like Mount Everest! It is better than running round the airfield though - that was a tad desolate and lonely.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.