Have a super week

Comments

• mavamava ✭✭✭

Morning all

What: 4.4 easy miles
    Why: giving my legs a teeny bit of a rest
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 7 Jan

Shattered today as I slept really badly again last night.  I guess the big cup of coffee when we got back from Canterbury was a mistake.  I really should know better than to drink coffee after lunchtime.

Have a good day.

• Morning!

What:                  rest.
    Why:                    long day at work.
    Last hard:             24/1.
    Last rest:              22/1.

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning,

What: something shortish later
    Why: time struggle and neck struggle
    Last hard: Jan 17
    Last rest: Dec 21

Lyrics: nope

Saturday's lyrics:
    Let's get away, you say, find a better place,
    Miles and miles away from the city's race...surprised no-one got them!! Answer at bottom of page!

LMH: neck scan results will be back "within 2 weeks". Off now for a bone density scan: this is every five years as I have been considered to be a risk for osteoporosis. As I see the consultant just afterwards I guess these scans are immediately available. The fact that I have twice broken a shoulder and I have three disintegrating vertbrae will no doubt support the osteoporosis theory!

Tom: I gather from another thread that these are interesting times! I guess you have a plan!

Enjoy February everyone! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Doh!
    Saturday's lyrics were Light Flight by Pentangle, the theme tune to Take Three Girls, the first ever colour drama on British TV!(Quiz question answer!)
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning All,

Haven't been online for a few days, so just completed a quick skim read.

Mava and Paddy: Great stuff at the weekend, well done on your PBs

What: Rest day

Why: Recovery

Last hard: Marathon 10 days ago

Last rest: Today

First run for 9 days last night since Dubai although have cross trained. Feel great after the rest and all things considered have decided to enter my local marathon in 3 weeks time. Planning to treat it as a training run and enjoy but will not race if any of the niggles I had leading up to the marathon 10 days ago flare up again. Easy miles this week, although last night was 7M and when I checked had run 30s per mile faster than MP.

Oh mileage for Jan was 112M. I run 3 times per week and target for this year is 25 MPW, so on target.

Have a great day.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: Rest Am
    Swim lunchtime
    intervals PM
    Gym - chest and back strength work
    Why: I like the morning off after a heavy Sunday
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Friday 29th January
    Lyrics: no

Hey look mum, it's snowing again
  • morning

hope the scans show you are on the mend alehouse. loved your story of the 10 mile track race after school xc!
    the rerouted course at wythenshawe was a boon for me as it took out the part where i fell badly last year and was carried off to spend 3 days on crutches with a sprained ankle.
    not sure about the water jump we had to do twice but i took it in my stride and pleased to report stayed upright for the whole event. definitely my best of this series, hung on to a club mate who i would be pleased to beat when i'm racing properly and we picked off a few on the second lap, no places lost. she finished 5 secs ahead of me and we counted as 3rd (her) and 4th (me) for the (depleted) team but well pleased and the wythenshawe demon is banished.
    enjoyed the presentation do in the hall afterwards too, first time i've been in there.

mava and paddy stand out as the weekend's star performances, delighted indeed ! great work from both of you

DD - hope things start to improve and the neurologist can rule stuff out

moraghan - i think the value of the XC is in the strength training, it doesn't really do much for speed and you'll do you're head in thinking about it

sorry you are not out of the woods yet mike, hope you can get the calves under control

lol at tigger and the carrot cakeimage

easy day today, will probably stick to gym as we have snowy lanes again which are still a bit dicey

• Morning - pinch, punch 1st of the month and all that.

According to page 21 of the Times, today is "National Sickie Day" - explains why I'm feeling below par today (or maybe too much red wine last night).

What: 18 tough miles around the route of the North Downs Run yesterday afternoon.

Why: Weekly long slow run.

Last hard: Trying to run up "cricket pitch hill" yesterday afternoon.

Last rest: 3 days (Friday).

Easy few miles at recovery pace planned for this evening.

• Hello everyone

What; A Rest Day

Why; Blisters after my 13 mile yesterday

Last Hard; yesterday

Frustrated I have developed blisters in the underside of my foot and it means I wont get a wee 5 mile recovery run in tonight.

• Nice job clink.

Sandrunner - 7m faster than MP??  Excellent.

What:  a.m. physio appt, 3m easy; p.m. 6m easy.

Traffic meant I was late for the physio so we only had time to address my knees and not my stitch.  The knees are the priority because they are bad at the moment.  This guy (Mark Buckingham) has come highly recommended and he was the team physio for the Athens Olympic team and for Loughborough high performance.  He was worth every penny and more - I would send all the previous physios to him to see how it should be done.

Anyway, my mechanics are totally screwed up - laughably bad.  A combination of chronic lack of calf, ankle and foot flexibility & strength, poor glute strength and has had some serious repercussions on my running technique.  Because my lateness meant it was all a bit rushed, this is what I came away with....

My ankles collapse inwards but feet point outwards while my knee bends forwards inside my foot (due to weak glutes) rather than outside and the kneecap is angled in the wrong direction after impact.  The lack of lower calf flexibility means the knee can't track forward properly and is on the wrong path anyway.  Rather than having one normal and one flat foot as I thought I have one flat foot and one extremely flat foot.  All the tests performed I failed miserably at.

The effect on video is a horrendous twisting of everything and he is not surprised by the knee pain, achilles pain and occasional plantar fasciitis. 

So I have lots of exercises to do and will have to change my running technique in that my knee needs to bend out forwards over my foot - which will be impossible while I have the poor strength and flexibility.  He says it will take about 3 - 4 months after which time a decision over orthotics will have to be made (probably won't need them).  He showed me the correct plant position and I can't even get into it standing up because of flexibility issues - it feels as though my ankle is about to break when I try it.

I came away thinking it was a miracle I'm still running as much as I do, but quite excited about the distant possibility of pain free running.  If any of you live within 60 miles of Northampton I suggest you see him whether you have problems or not.

http://www.wpbphysio.co.uk/sports.html

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hi Moraghan...I'm glad you were impressed with Mark, he really is the best, and well worth the wait for an appointment.

I assume that you are currently standing on one leg with a theraband round one knee, with the other end wrapped around a central heating radiator, doing knee dips.

Alehouse - I do indeed have a plan. The first step is to get the GFA - need to run sub 3:30 ie 8:00 miles at Stratford on 25th April.

Strong aerobic effort over 12 miles this morning. This session is establishing itself as the most demanding session of the week. Went pretty well but definately a recovery day due tomorrow.
  • Are you watching from across the street Tom.?  ha ha.  Got 4 different sets of exercises to do, between once and five times a day.

I will follow your training with great interest!  Nice run this morning.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

clink thats nice to read, nice to banish demons!

wow moraghan that must have been, although a bit daunting, very interesting to know, always good to get answers!

my parliament hill run was very very tiring and tougher than I remembered! Only saving grace to a poo run was that I felt very strong inthe last mile and overtook 3 ladies, and finished way ahead of them.  The rest well I just struggled, and its the extra weight round my belly for sure!! it has to go!!

WHat: 4 miles easy later

why: I feel surprisingly good today!

Last hard: Sat southerns

last easy: yesterday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi. I'd like to join this thread.

What: 3 miles easy this evening

Why: because my marathon training schedule tells me to!

Last hard: every run since Christmas

Last easy: paradoxically every run since Christmas.

First day of marathon training. Sixteen weeks to go! Yay!

• Afternoon

Leah: Welcome

LMH: I know this sounds crazy but 35 miles isn't much further than a marathon and marathon training will get you around just fine, back to backs are good.

Mava / Paddy: Great stuff

What: Nowt
    Why: Sure you all know by now
    Last Hard: Every day
    Last Rest: Weeks and weeks. As Gobi found out we are not indestructible.

Will see you all as and when I run again, off to my dark hole. 

• TT - how are things with Mrs. TT and junior today? I just re-read yesterday's posts and the nightmare that you guys had. You need that like a hole in the head.

Moraghan: that doesn't sound like a good race experience at all. As you said, at least you can take something positive away from it. That physio sounds brilliant. Not so brilliant news of course but it looks like something can be done to alleviate the pain going forward.

LMH: don't think it was the treadie run, TBH. That actually did me some good. I decided on a rest weekend because it was too cold for my slightly battered respiratory system. If I'd had access to the gym at the weekend, I would have done some sort of run but our gym is shut at the weekend. Seen the doc this morning and he encouraged me to keep running (nice doc!!!). I'm on asthma medicines now to keep those dry-retch coughing fits at bay. It's a chest infection but it's not too bad and moderate exercise will actually help.

Agree with alehouse, mava: that 2005 TW PB doesn't stand a chance. Your consistency is paying off big time. Bravo. Sorry to hear you had a bad night - the coffee together with the adrenaline high from racing are surely contributing factors.

Paddy: brilliant news. Bliddy hell, a bunch of mile splits starting with a 5!  I might incorporate wine into my pre-race diet image

MikeS: bummer. Fingers crossed you jump of that bench very soon.

Alehouse: hope the scans come back ok.

Clink & Wabo: nice ones for you yesterday.

Welcome, Leah.  Which marathon are you aiming for?

What: 11k on the treadie today plus 10 x 100m strides (and not a single cough!)
    Why: it's a start
    Last hard: not running at the weekend
    Last rest: all weekend!
    Lyrics: nope

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon (update),
    Well done Wabs at the xcs ,nice to finish with a flourish
    DD - please lurk, as I intend to dip my toes in the murky world of ultras later in the year (have VLM and South Downs to do first tho')
    Morag - eek, hope the exercises pay off!
    Leah - hiya, which marathon?

For me : strayed on to Graham's patch: thames path to the Highway , down towards the tunnel, drop to Narrow Street and back along the Thames path to Southwark Bridge. Felt ridiculously comfortable. I'm beginning to think I might actually be getting used to the mileage. Something like 4.7 miles, 38 mins.
  • WORD!!

What - 10 miles long slow run

Why - I need to start putting in some miles

Last Hard - Last Tuesday evening's running club sesh

Last Rest - Yesterday

First proper long slow run today, it's been quite a while since I've ran that far or long (timewise as well) and found it rather hard towards the end. I'll sleep well tonight!!

Dave x

• Hello again. I am training for the Edinburgh marathon.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi leah and welcome!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon all,

Well done's to Mave an Paddy on two cracking 10 milers.

Good XCs from Clink and Wabo too.

Can't remember anyone else so apologies.

Welcome Leah!

• What:  5m
    • Why:  Recovery
    • Last Hard: ?
    • Last Rest:  14/1

Have a good one!

• Afternoon all

Welcome Leah

Thanks for comments. Legs a bit stiff today. I think an easyish 6 or 7 recovey later. Next target is 10k on 14 Feb.

• Welcome Leah and good luck preparing for the Edinburgh Marathon

Dustin - I'll be running that way after work this evening (From Fenchurch Street via the Minories, East Smithfield, Highway, Narrow Street, Canary Wharf, Thames Path, Island Gdns then through the foot tunnel and up vanburgh Hill onto Blackheath) - it's a great run to do at night especially alongside the river - hopefully the car will still be where I left it at 07:30 this morning.

• Hi Leah and Dave!

At work so I'll have to keep this brief - lovely to hear Clink laying demons though.

DD - makes lots of sense to me - especially as I'm not intending to race it, would be very happy to get round in about six hours but content with finishing - preferably in one piece. I echo Dustin - please stick around! Do you think I could just repeat the last weekends runs a few more times to become more comfortable with them or do I need to be increasing distance or time on feet?

• mavamava ✭✭✭

evening all.

Welcome Leah & Dave.  This is a great thread for keeping marathon training going!

clink - great stuff there, well done.

DD - don't disappear!  I'll be watching out for ultra training tips as I think that's where I'll be heading next year.

Well, I know my PB yesterday was well earned (thanks all for the well dones by the way!) - I definitely have a touch of DOMS now.  Hopefully it won't hang around too long.

• <!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Evening!

Welcome Dave and Leah...stick with us! Dave: 1862...year of your birth?

Clink: well done on Saturday. I had already seen your resulted and measured you against one of my club mates...you were much nearer, and, as you say, much nearer your own team mate. As you went through the stream it wasn't a course that I designed...we vowed probably fifteen years ago not to use that because of a serious injury there which effectively finished one of our own international's careers.

CH: try not to let blisters defeat you! I either use “Compeed” (or shops' own brands)...or just get on with it!

Moraghan: it really does sound a miracle that you could ever walk, never mind run! Must look into this guy...I think MikeS and I need a block booking!

Wabo: Parl Hill is a tough course, so well toughed out.

Tom: I meant a weekly plan for the short term goal...presumably including some longer stuff. Are you going to include longer, slower adventures, maybe even going off road to get in those “ time on feet runs”? I applaud your ambition, but am a little surprised you have chosen to do one so soon into your comeback...I thought that you were perhaps building towards an autumn outing. I, for one, would be delighted if you can get your GFA as a basis for giving it a real shot next year.

• Hi Dave and Leah.

Clink - you sound like you are running very nicely.

Wabo - well done to you too.

Moraghan - man! Just think how fast you will run when you get all that corrected.

Tom - a marathon! You are a sly dog! Didn't know you were going to attempt the distance - but 3.30 - bit soft a target for you isn't it? Even if it is your GFA time. Thought you were training so hard for an outstanding 10 miler. Guess you'll get both - good luck.

What: 5 miles - out on the bush tracks, back on the road.

Good running everyone.

• Moraghan - it is amazing what you can achieve, I had running rehab after my last chronic hamstring injury and went from a severe over pronator on both feet to being nuetral on the left and supinating slightly on the right - my podiatrist was amazed at the changes the physio had managed to effect. I still wear orthotics but that's to correct a leg length discrepancy. It will be worth it!
  • Evening, again!

What: just quarter of an hour, but slightly quicker than steady
    Why: lack of time

At hospital today for four and a half hours (read the whole of Haruki Murakami's "What I talk about when I talk about running"...which I didn't particularly enjoy...could relate to in parts though, and there are one or two quotable bits). Had bone density scan and then saw consultant (pretty well a whole book later!) who was very pleased: my bone density had only deteriorated by around 1% over the last five and a half years since I last saw him...one would normally expect a deterioration of 0.5% for a male of my age...the daily calcium/vitamin D seems to be working (worth noting!). My fractures over the past five years (two broken shoulders/metatarsal/stress fractures to shins/cracked ribs) are, in his view, all trauma injuries and there is only a 9.4% chance that they are due to osteoporosis (have no idea how this figure is arrived at apart from he spent quite a lot of timeinputting the data into two different calculatorsand getting the same result). Additionally he feels that my current neck problems, with a disintegration of the vertebrae are again not due to osteoporosis but almost certainly from a trauma injury, probably the first time I broke my shoulder. (Hope you are still with me...I've just bored myself!!)

LMH: hope for us all with your tale of re-educating the legs!

• alehouse - good news then. Really pleased that it is not osteoporosis. What can they do about the disintegration of the vertebrae - can you wear some sort of soft neck support?

My son bought me that book "What I talk about when I talk about running"...didn't think much of it either. An interesting book about someone's love of running, but didn't inspire me at all.