8 Weeks to Eastleigh

I'm sure you're all fed up of me moaning on the othe thread... so here's a new one.. where I'm focusing on recovery.

Last week I ran 13.6 miles pain-free across 4 runs and cycled 30 miles at work.

My plan for this week:

Mon - 4 miles steady
Tue - off
Wed - 5 miles steady
Thu - 5 miles steady
Fri - off
Sat - off
Sun - Chichester Priory 10k - Pacing my mum round, aiming to break her PB of 53'55".

Which will give me 20 miles for the week. In addition to that I'm aiming to average around 15 miles cycling a day at work too... which should allow me to give my running muscles a rest, strengthen my quads, burn off a bit of excess fat and actually get on with my job without interfering with my running!!

Comments

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Hey Squall. Good luck with your preparation - hope your training schedule will help to improve the injury! Funnily enough, I am printing off the entry form today with a view of posting it tomorrow...I think this may possibly be the only 10K I do before May! 
  • Good luck with your recovery squall. Do you have a target in mind for the race or just simply to have 8 weeks good consistent running?

• Under 42?

Consistent training is the most important goal at this stage. No-one running at Chichester Sunday then? Or Salisbury 10?
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Probably not..and what about the Ryde 10 that's this Sunday? Im not doing that though as I want to get a long training run in as I might be possibly doing the Bramley 20 weekend after next.image

I did look at possibly doing the Chichester race but they had stopped taking entries when I looked into this a few weeks ago.

• 42 sounds like a realistic goal. Hope your training progresses well over the coming weeks. Who knows, you may even revise it as the race draws closer. I have found my best races come when i least expect it and consequently put no pressure on myself.

WJH - I am doing the Bramley 20. Hoping to go around in 8.30 minute miles if i can be disciplined enough that is.image

• Im doing the Salisbury 10 on 7th march. I was going to do the Todays Runner cross country this coming sunday but I've decided against it as i'd prefer to get a long run in instead. Im hoping to get some decent training done in February - and its gone well so far with last week giving me a highest ever mileage week of 58. Four more weeks of that leading up to Salisbury and i'll be happy image
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Hi Scott...58 miles? That's some serious training! I did enjoy Salisbury last year and the route was quite scenic at that as well. image Are you going to try and go under the hour in this one?
  • Impressive Scott!!

I'm looking at doing Salisbury too... But it's going to be a slow one to me. I'm
    trying to just ease my way back to 30 a week of steady running.

9 miles run so far..., 43 miles cycled...
  • Typical - after a rather hilly long run on sunday, this week ive had a little niggle in my right calf image So having to rest today, so this week wont be as high in terms of mileage. It's not painful nor does it stop me running fast, but I can just feel it there. I still managed to do a decent track session monday even with some discomfort there.

I enjoyed Salisbury last year too Warren, the course isnt particularly flat but it isnt that slow either. If training goes well, who knows? I think I was in shape to run under an hour in October, but dodgy tactics on my part  at the GSR and rather poor conditions at Lordshillput paid to that.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Well I have just entered Bramley Marty! One very long run is now needed this weekend! image 

Scott - I did an 8 mile race on Sunday in Newport, South Wales and it seemed almost flatter than the Great South Run if that's possible! In a way I was almost too flat (good course though) so in a way, I kind of like a slightly undulating course! Found it good for sharpening up the fitness a bit.

25 miles last week, 29 the week before (which included a run of 15.8 miles)...will try and hit 30 this week now, this including possibly up to 16 on Sunday.

• Nice one WJH. I have just received my number today for Bramley. Sounds like you are on a nice steady base upping your mileage slowly. Hope you enjoy your run this sunday.

My long run is tomorrow. I will be out nice and early, i need to start getting my body to run at 6.30am in the morning since the race i am targetting starts then. Its 22 for me. Hopeing i won't get too bored running roung my 1 mile loop until the sun gets up and allows me to go on the roads..

Keep it going squall, nice and steady and you will be fine. I expect the cycling will help to take the constant pounding out of your legs as well.

• Cycling seems to have helped a lot. 14 miles run so far this week across 3 sessions - no pain or problems at all.
  • Enjoy your run at Chichester tomorrow squall.
  • Cheers.... be seeing any of you there?
  • Chichester Priory 10k - paced my mum round in 51'46" - a new PB for her by almost 2 minutes. Very well-run race, thanks to the organisers and Sussex Police.
  • Quite pleased really... managed around 60 miles cycled at work last week and 20 miles run - no problems with my heel/ankle whatsoever.
  • Rest day yesterday.... tidy 5.5miles this morning... tomorrow off....
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Good that your problems seem to be gone now Squall! Hopefully plenty of time in the run up to Eastleigh now to get some quality training in!

Yes marty74, had a good run on Sunday evening in the end...from Gosport to Portchester and back totalling 13.1 miles. Started out roughly at 8 minute mile pace with 3 of the last 4 miles being close to 7 minute miles with the last mile being in 6.45 pace. Overall finished the session in 1 hour 38 minutes and 45 seconds...and felt pretty comfortable (the last 3 miles were done in approximately 21 minutes). Hopefully I will be ok for Bramley although it's still a little daunting having not run anything over 15.8 miles before! Not received my number yet but hoping to over the next day or so?! See you there!

• Well done squall. Excellent running there. I bet it was nice going slightly slower for a change and well within your comfort zone.

And excellent run WJH. Sub 1.40 half on your own is good going. Looks like you will take Bramley in your stride on sunday and bank another good long run.

I had a good 23 miler at the weekend. Ran it in 3.20 so happy with that. Then did the club cross country on the sunday so another good 5.5 miles banked on not so fresh legs. Just been out tonight and feel that the "bounce" has returned.

Really looking forward to sunday now. Am planning to print off my mile splits for 8.30 minute miles and try to stick with them.

Keep up the good work everyone.

• Aiming for a solid 25 miles this week... and 30 the next.

Cycling at work has literally made THE WORLD of difference. 

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Good to see a return to some consistency Squall! image

Cheers Marty...I think I may have recieved my entry info, number, etc in the post for Bramley today but will have to collect it from the sorting depot! Still a little nervous about Sunday as my pacing in races is never good at the best of times. I always end up slower with each passing mile normally - Squall will tell you this from one of the 5ks we did at Mountbatten last year as well as with the Victory 5! image So need to make sure I don't overdo it early on! image

Club session last night - did speed work which is always tough....one warm up lap of a mile was followed by 3 X 1 mile laps with a short recovery and a mile recovery lap at the end of the session (pacing of these ranged from just under 6 minutes for the first one with the next two being in about 6"10). Hard work, and thankfully no more of this until next week!

Off to Canada (Quebec) on Wedneday next week though (back the following Thursday) so I hope this won't take away too much from the training I have done recently. I hope I will be able to do some running out there...I suppose skiing is good cross training to a degree though...  

Over the last few weeks I have managed to run approximately 29 (a few weeks back), 25 (this including an 8 mile race in Newport, South Wales) and 27.5 miles (last week). Bramley will increase that drastically by the end of this week...so yes, although going away will put a spanner in the works to a degree on this mileage build up, I am sure of it! Can't really complain about a holiday to Canada though!image

• Ahh it's lovely there... I'm sure you'll get some running in image

Mind you, I've only been to the West Coast where they aint so keen on the french ones!

8 miles planned for tomorrow morning and 6 on friday.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

I just posted a reply and it completely dissapeared lol!

Anyhow, was just saying that I didn't realise that about the Canadiens Squall although that doesn't surprise me either I guess lol! I have been out once when I was a kid to Toronto and Niargra Falls and it will be great to go out there again, especially with the start of the Winter Olympics coming up - really looking forward to the ice-hockey myself.

Talking hockey, I have had 3 inline hockey games since Saturday now and my legs are really feeling it from the past few days now, what with speed training last night too! I guess it's good as cross training as it requires different muscles to be used, but I do find that I have lost quite a bit of natural speed/a yard of pace over the past few years when playing though and am a fair bit slower with it.image I was wondering on this actually, would this also mean that my potential for improving my running times would also be limited? Or is it still possible to greatly compensate for lost speed through greatly improving stamina therefore improving my running times in this way? Just wondering on this really! image If anyone can answer this one...it will either make me feel very dispondant or spur me on more depending on the answer lol.

Good to see you steadily hitting the higher mileage now Squall mate....a few more weeks and I bet you will feel like you would have improved your form quite a bit!

Think I will do a slow and easy run, probably no more than 5 miles in the run up to Bramley now either tomorrow or Friday...what about you Marty, any other running planned before this?

• When I went in October I went and visited the venues of some of the Winter events. Nice place.

I think the epiphany was realising that it wasn't a RUNNING injury... but a walking one. And not even a conventional walking one - one caused by the footwear. 

• WJH - I reckon its easier to pace the longer races since you have more time to play with. Certainly with 10k's or 5 miles one slow mile means it is really difficult to get the time back. With 20 its a different ball game. You can start off slower than usual and know later on you can gain the time back. So are you training for any particular race? I would guess at a marathon if you are doing the 20....

I have just done nearly 12 miles tonight, will rest tomorrow and then do another 10 early saturday morning. I am still continuing with my run 1 mile then walk 1 minute approach to get time on my feet. Its now less than 8 weeks until my Two Oceans Adventure. Its getting more real with every weekend that passes nowimage

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Hiya Marty - yes I am training for the VLM at the mo, it will be my first one so am pretty nervous but also very excited by it! image That's a heck of alot of training you are putting in there...how far is this Two Oceans adventure then? Cheers for the advice as well, never really thought about it like that before but it's so true, there will be a lot more time to play with as such!

10k on the treadmill for me last night...I always end up going hard on these when I don't plan to but feel that I am close to my form from before Christmas now!

I am as ready as I can be for Bramley on Sunday!

• Jokerman: You came up with the ridiculous suggestion of a uniformed officer wearing running shoes to work. Instead I got orthotic insoles, got a camping shop to modify the heel and switched from 40 miles a week of walking to 60 miles a week of cycling.
  • Anyway... I identified it before you!!