8 Weeks to Eastleigh

Comments

• I would have thought after 10 months of walking 40m/week i'd have gotten used to it!

Anyway, problem solved now!

Went for a steady 10k this morning (did 8 miles undulating yesterday).

Running in a XC race in Richmond park next week... 

• Nice one WJH. I was rejected again from London this year (4th time) so thought about doing something else instead. And the Two Oceans sort of fitted. It is actually an ultra (35 miles) which is why i need to get the miles in as well as time on my feet. Its in seven weeks time on easter saturday.

And is great to be nervous and excited about your first marathon. I have only done two, which includes the Gloucester Mara this January. But it sounds like you are getting your fitness back a treat. A good 10k on the treadmill should give you confidence for sunday. I expect you don't intend to run that fast on sunday so therefore the early pace should feel relatively comfy.

Do you have any targets in mind? I am hopefully going to go round between 2.40 and 2.50. Perhaps run the first half in around 1.25 and take it from there.

• So how did you find it WJH? Have to say really enjoyed it. The two laps seem to go by fairly quickly and thankfully the weather wasn't too bad for us either. As for my race, started by the board which said 2.45-3.10 so took me a couple of minutes to cross the start line. For the first 5 miles or so, due to the amount of runners i just decided to enjoy the run and go with the flow. I think i went through half way in around 1.23 ish. And then during the seond half, once the roads became clearer started to go a bit quicker. Ended up finishing in 2.35 (chip time) so happy with that run. The best bit is i felt stronger at the end of this 20 mile race than i did at the same point of my marathon a few weeks ago. So the long runs are definately helping.

Hope you had a good run as well.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Hi Marty! Well done on your race!!! Mine didn't go too well at all...well when I hit the 16 mile mark, something in my left leg to the left of my knee started giving me alot of pain and it stopped me from running properly. You would definately have passed me I think, I was hobbling from there on until the end, my leg doesn't feel too much better today. I have had a similar injury before so my initial thoughts and still are that I hope I will still be able to run the VLM! I suppose I will see how it feels this week.image

Ended up finishing in about 2 hours 50, but I think I would have been on target for about 2 hours 25 if it wasn't for my leg trouble (was at 1.32/1.33 HM pace roughly). Loads of people encouraging me on/asking if I was ok when passing me....so that definately helped, and from the stewards etc too. Not an experience I want ever again though those last 4 miles were hellish! image 

Im off on holiday on Wednesday so hopefully that can give it time to get better..not sure if I will be able to ski on it now either though...I will see how it feels today I just hope it doesn't feel as bad as yesterday.

Good running again though Marty, excellent with the negative split too. image

• Unlucky. You just never know when thats going to happen. Pehaps its a good thing you are going on holiday this week, chance to rest up from the running a little and not feel too guilty about it.

You still have loads of time before London and a week of now and get better will be much better in the long run. I have read that its much better to be 10% undertrained than 10% over. Hopefully you will come back feeling fresh and raring to go. Hope your leg feels better soon.

• Sorry to hear that WJH! Hopefully it'll sort itself out in time for London.

Off for 9  miles at stokes bay in the rain in a minute....

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Thanks guys...certainly hope so. Doesn't feel so bad walking on it today.....but that's with walking. I think running on it at the moment is out the question. Off to Canada tomorrow, will be interesting to see if I will be able to ski properly now! Also got some sort of cold which isn't helping anything at the moment either.

May have a total break from any sort of running until I am back which is a week Thursday.

• 9 miles in the rain! Successful start to the week lol.

6 miles XC race for the Police on thursday... Winchester 10k on sunday. 

• Doing my first ever XC event today! Had to borrow someone elses shoes... lol
  • Im surprised you've never done cross country before Paul. It is good fun and is a different kind of challenge altogether from running on the road. If you like it you should try the Todays Runner league, the last race is at Staunton country park 14th march.
  • Great fun!

Staunton Country Park eh.... sounds interesting. What distance?

• Stumbled across this- just entered Eastleigh today. It's nearly since I've done a 10k and had tons of injury problems, so hope it's a good one.

I'd go for Stanuton Country Park, they're good races!
  • The Todays Runners XC races are usually 8kish, between 4.5 - 5 miles.
  • well yes, ladies do compete in the races image
  • Haha.

2 x 3.5 mile runs yesterday (fitting around a long day at work). Cycled 10+ while on duty... stiff thighs today.

Just about to go out for 3-4 miles easy on a hilly loop.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Back from Canada (Mont Treblent, Quebec). Not done any running since Bramley. Probably go out tomorrow...should be interesting! image
  • Hopefully you will get back into it and you feel fine after your short break.

As for me, i am on a cut back week, just 42 miles for me this weekimage

Keep up the good running everybody.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Squal me old mucker, how's things progressing with you?

i Might have a little road trip down to this one..so might be interesting to say hello in the flesh.

Looked at last year's results and I think top 100 all did very close to sub 36!

• That Eastleigh mate? Would be good to see if there if you're doing it.

Things are up and down with me... hopefully on the up at the moment.

Going out for 80 mins long/easy run in a minute. 

• Sub 36?? Oh dear I have no chance of doing remotely well then, I'm aiming at sub 45....!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work..sounds a good run, and yes Eastleigh 10k. Saw it on the top 10 pb races on RW!

gonna see how a 10k goes tomorrow and then weigh it up.

My running buddy is off racing for the foreseeable at the moment, so would help having at least someone I knew..even in a online format there, being  a 60/70mile trip!

hope the "Up" spell continues for a good while, you deserve a good run, if only for the entertaining threads!

ps Liz, don't worry...1500 ran... so plenty of varying paces.

I'd be worried if this was one of the local 10ks I do where 200 people run...if 100 did sub 36 there it could be tricky!

• Stevie G, be warned if you're thinking about entering that I think it's nearly full!
  • Round-up of the week:

Mon - off
    Tue - off
    Wed - 6.8 miles easy
    Thu - 3.8 miles easy
    Fri - 3.4 miles easy
    Sat - 9.5 miles easy
    Sun - 4.05 miles steady

Total: 28ish miles for the week (assuming I don't go for a little jog this evening)

Last few weeks have looked better: 20, 25, 17, 28....

The 17 mile week had a XC race in the middle of it and I had back problems at the weekend (work-related), so all in all I think things are looking up. 4 weeks exactly today till the Eastleigh 10k.... I'm having serious thoughts towards wanting to go sub-40 again. 

• Nice to get some consistency squall. But don't get too overwelmed with wanting to go sub 40 at eastleigh. It will happen again, and probably very soon. A strong base now will serve you well for the spring / summer season of 10k's.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

thanks for the headsup Liz....did a 10k today..good news...pb bad news...slipped mid race and have massive bruise and bit of sweeling ..so limping a bit!!

if it's fine in next day or so i'll enter asap!

as although it's a 70mile trip...i did a 40mile trip to central london in 1hr 10 today.,..so probbo equivalent!

• Just went out and jogged 2.75 miles to bring me up over 30 for the week image
  • I've not done it before so I don't know how worth it it is. I went for it on the basis of PB potential, but from what I remember Eastleigh is not the most exciting of places scenery-wise!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work squall.

and i'd just be happy with the race if it doesn't have wrong turns, 5 u turns in the race and make you run straight into people you're ahead of after said u turns like my race today!

37:03 with a bad slip, a wrong turn, 5 u turns and bad conditions and not flat can't be bad lol