Options

8 Weeks to Eastleigh

Comments

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Well that's still a good time I wouldn't complain at that!image

Started my training back up on Tuesday. Well my other knee played up a bit now (or an area to the side of it). If I don't have much luck attempting a long run on the weekend, I may have to give up my VLM place. I just hope it doesn't come to this and really annoyed that I am getting these problems now! It's sods law really. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    i best go and enter for this tonight...as it's only 24 days away now!
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Ive entered it today in any case. Before my knee issues, I would have said sub 40 would have been very realistic. I just hope they arn't persistent so I can train as hard as I can for this and more so the VLM.

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Back on schedule for me as from today! Im a little relieved! Bought a new pair of trainers on Friday and they told me I was probably having ITBS problems in my right knee - left leg being slightly shorter meaning my right knee rotates a bit or something?

Anyhow I am hoping it is now sorted! Managed 15 miles today and it was a relief when I felt no pain coming on after 3/4 miles....it felt a little delicate from 10 miles onwards and my fitness levels are down a bit, ran at average of 8 mins 14 per mile. But im just glad to have got a long run in first and foremost today! All in all 31 miles for the week so can't complain at that either. image

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    PS - for those doing this run who haven't done it before, there is a bit of an incline (rather than hill) about 3/4 miles in. Definately the best PB potential 10k race I have done! Conditions last year though were sunny and calm making for possibly even better times! The Netley (in Southampton) 10k which is also noted on here for it's PB potential is definately not as fast as Eastleigh...although conditions wern't great in it last year, times from alot of my running club members including myself, were a good minute or so slower compared with Eastleigh....more 90+ degree turns and gradual inclines around the 3 laps make this not quite as quick as with Eastleigh for me...this definately makes up for the distinct lack of scenery Eastleigh has to offer that's for sure (although running around Netley Country Park is pleasent!)...let's just hope for some good weather on the day...although one thing, at least there should not be any snow forcing cancellations this time!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Nice one WJH, hopefully your new trainers should have sorted you out. Some good consistent weeks for the next month or so should see you back on track nicely.

As for me, had another good week, culminating in the Duchy Marathon today. Great course, some fantastic views and another solid time, 3.35. And a day off tomorrow to boot. Happy days...

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Excellent Marty well done! Great time too! All that milege paying off eh?! Indeed, I was very anxious on today so hopefully touch wood I won't have problems this coming week...I was just nervous about the first long run today! Im having a curry tonight to treat myself mind! image

• Options

1'10'47" yesterday at the Salisbury 10.... very pleased with this given my up-and-down training lately!

Very enjoyable event... beautiful sunny weather, nice course and great scenery! Saw SDaly beforehand... he went on to smash the 60 minute mark, coming in almost a minute under! bastard!

Anyone else run yesterday?

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice running there Squall. Something to build for you.
  • Options

I reckon next 3 weeks... get some decent-paced tempo runs and long-runs in... and 5k pace stuff.

Not enough time for amazing development before Eastleigh... but I can sharpen up!

• Options
    i ran the salisbury 10 yesterday as well i got 1hr 08min 11 sec which i was over the moon with, when you consider my best 10k is 46 min or summit  which i expect i will smash on my next one .That is a quality time isnt it squall given your recent injury woes as for under an hour how is that done thats an amazing time !
  • Options
    Good work mate! That's a cracking time for 10 miles.
  • Options

Recovery 4-5 miles in a minute.

Are there any cyclists who can equate some of my cycling miles to junk running miles for me??? I cycled 17 miles last friday at work... and on an average day cycle 10-15 without making any special effort to. Okay, I know it doesn't equate directly... but I'm hoping it has some sort of cross-training value!

• Options

Ended up doing a steady 10k in 48'13"

What a beautiful day!

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

As you say squall they don't really equate. But all the bits i have read reckon 4 or 5 miles of cycling equate to 1 mile of running (roughly).

In terms of cross training though, great. No impact on your legs and a good CV workout. Can only be good in the long run. I sometimes use a bike session when i have had a really hard session and don't really feel like running, The bike offers me a bit of a recovery session without the pounding.

• Options
    21 miles cycling today
  • Options
    4.74 miles in 40 minutes this morning
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

5 miles Tuesday night with my club...roughly 8 minute per mile pace.

Roller hockey training last night as I do every Wednesday for 90 minutes (either training or a match). In saying this, does inline skating through this class as decent cross training? Anyone got any views on this? It does certainly feel like I am working completely different leg muscles when playing roller-hockey though, my legs tend to be much more sore especially round my quads!

Will probably do some sort of controlled tempo session down my gym tonight. Thankfully, no more knee problems after last week. New trainers seem to have solved any potential problem.

• Options

I'm sure it counts for something Warren.

Another easy-steady 4-5 miles for me this morning...

• Options
    8.74 miles for the day in two runs.
  • Options
    hi squall hope all well with you, hows the training going, is it better to do your 8.74 run in two runs or one are you doing it because of time or being care full of injury, i live in wales where is eastleigh thinking of running it is it a flat  or hilly, i,m trying to get sub 40 10k your input would be nice thankyou.
  • Options
    hi all come on keep the thread going wheres squall hideing,
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How#s it all going Squall?

I managed to be too complacent with the Eastleigh entry...so unless anyone comes up with a place they want to send my way in the next few days have to bid all you folks good luck at this one, and look elsewhere for a race.

Havea  10miler at Maidenhead Friday 2nd April, so might not be necessary to do a shorter race in the week before.

• Options

Did just over 40 miles this week... including a decent 14 miler in 2 hours.

Looking for anywhere between 40-42 mins at Eastleigh. Hopefully I'll be able to pull out a PB at the GSR towards the end of the year. 

Trainings going really well atm.... cycling anything upwards of 30 miles a week atm... sometimes close to 100 miles. I think that's balancing out my legs a little more and letting them recover from the running.

• Options

Hi all - I'm entered in the Eastleigh 10k - got my number yesterday. Looking forward to it as it's the first race of the year for me and my first ever 10k! (I have done the Promenade 5k series, the Victory 5 and the GSR before though) I'm looking at 55 minutes as an 'OK' performance and nearer 53 as a 'good' performance. See you all there! image

• Options
    Eastleigh was my first ever 10k back in 2004 image
  • Options
    hi squall what was your time back in 2004.
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Some good decent training there Squall! You never know, you have done sub-40 at Eastleigh before! So why not again? I remember last year expecting to complete it in about 42 minutes but ended up with 40"46 (chip time) which remains my official race PB up to now. Hoping to beat it on Sunday though but that very much will depend on how I am performing on the day.

As for my first 10k - that was Winchester in summer 2005 with a time of 49"32.

Training last week included a 5 mile club run at a steady 7"30 to 8 minute mile pace, 6 miles or so on the Thursday (treadmill) and marathon training (18.20 miles) on Saturday (20th)...this being in about 8"30 pace per mile roughly! So far this week I did a hard 5k treadmill run yesterday and felt pretty good with that....and a slower 2 miles at the end of this. Had a very tough roller hockey game on the Wednesday as well so that was my cross training of sorts for the week!

Will probably go out for something steady tomorrow.

Race conditions were excellent last year, not sure what it will be like this coming Sunday but as long as it won't be windy then I won't mind how it is!

• Options
    Hmm...Sunday looks very wet. image
  • Options

Wet isn't good.

I did it in about 43 minutes.