Scoliosis

Hi there,

I have scoliosis (s-shaped curved spine), and theoretically speaking i should have had a metal rod put into my spine to straighten it, but because i look quite straight and am flexible we decided not too.
my surgeon told me never to take up running or impact sports. however 6 months ago i took up running and have since ran a half marathon.

i love it very much. the problem is i have suffered with a very sore hip for a couple of months and yesterday i went to an osteopath to get it sorted. he said that he has never seen anything like it as having scolisis i should have limited flexibility, but my hip problem is due to hyperflexibility. he doesnt think there is a cure and has told me to stop running - HELP!!!!

I went to the gym today and instead of treadmill work i had to cycle, and boy do i hate that!!!

I was wondering whether anyone is in a similar boat or has any advice, or if anyone else has scoliosis.

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Well done on the 1/2 M!!!
    I don't have bad scoliosis - but do have it mildly - apparently due to compensating for a twisted pelvis. My right hip and quads hurt badly - and like you I've been told I have exceptional joint flexibility (something which surprised me greatly) but which means that I've been able to compensate for lousy biomechanics quite well up to now - but don't really seem able to handle long distances well.

I think you need to know why you've been told not to do impact sports. eg will they cause a long term irreversible degeneration of your spine ? And what would be the effect of a lack of impact sports ref the strengthening of your bones for protection against future osteoporosis ? If you've done a 1/2 M then it might well be possible for you to concentrate on shorter distances eg 10K - and of course cross country (less impact) and build in cross training as a way of pushing your CV fitness. I too hate the bike - worse than anything else in the gym - but at least I know it'll knacker me!

BTW the treadmill can be very unforgiving as it maintains a constant body position whereas the real world has lumps and bumps and bends in it which means you're not constantly straining the same parts of your body.

Don't get too down - there's always a compromise solution. Good Luck