Advice Needed

I went to the physio last night as I had been suffering from a sore heel which came on after a half marathon. The heel had been sore for a week and I was in two minds whether to go as the pain did seem to be easing with rest. Anyway the physio advised 2-3 weeks of no running and has advised me to see a podiatrist as she thinks I need custom insoles to alter my running gait. I had bad itbs about a year ago (which I have had no problems with since) and she thinks it may all be linked.  I’m booked in for this on Monday. This morning however my heel is completely pain free which is great. I’m not sure whether this is due to the ultrasound or calf massage the physio gave or just the healing process.  My question however is if the pain doesn’t return do I really need to do no running for 2-3 weeks. If I’m pain free surely running would be ok? I’m also wondering if it is worth seeing the podiatrist if the injury has cleared up? I suppose if I need insoles to make me more biomechanically sound it makes sense to get them regardless of whether I’m injured or not? Any comments gratefully received.

Comments

• You are going to get a bunch of different answers, Viper, but here's mine...

A lot of injuries get better with rest and nothing a fizzio does will make any difference to the recovery time.  Your sore heel may be one of these injuries and the advice you've been given was based on this fact.  So, I would make very sure that I've given it enough time before trying running on it.  I would give it another 3-4 days and if it's still okay then I'd go for a short run and stop the moment it's uncomfortable.

As for your running gait and seeing a podiatrist, I'm of the opinion that too many people rush off to see a pod instead of looking at how they're running.  I also think that if it's not broken then don't fix it.  That means that if you're not having any problems with ITBS then don't try and change things to stop it coming back.  If it does come back then look first at how you're running.  Find some information on Pose or Chi Running.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mister W. I’m certainly at least going to make sure I have a few more pain free days before I try and run again. I do see what you are saying and I have run for the last 10 months or so virtually injury free at a reasonable mileage (40ish per week). If this injury really has cleared up with a week/ 10 days rest then it does seem a bit drastic to alter things by seeing a pod and getting the insoles. On the other hand ignoring the advice of a physio makes me a little uneasy – not that I think they know everything or are always right......
  • I've ignored the advice of several fizzios throughout my running career and my legs haven't fallen off yet.
  • Hi Viper

I am seeing a physio at the moment with shin trouble.  Like you though, I am pain free now....it's only been two weeks and the pain went within a week but the physio originally said 12 weeks no running!!!!!   He has now said that perhaps next week a 5min jog is looking like its on the cards, just to see how it feels.

Like Mister, I would say give it a wee bit longer and just go for a really short run to see how it feels and if you feel pain then it obviously needs longer to heal.

My physio has also suggested a podiatrist and to have inserts made for me.  I am thinking about it but the cost is an issue..........reading Chi Running at the moment (cheers Mister) so indecisive at the moment but that's a normal state of affairs for me.

• Hi I have had terrible problems with the heel pain since the beginning of Oct 2009, I followed the instructions of the doctor and the Podiatrist, bought all sorts of insoles done the excercises which never helped and got really depressed with the whole thing. I had the problem in both feet which actually made me take mayor time off work and thats not me... Well just now at twenty past one on Friday morning I have had my second Cortisone injection please excuse the spelling  and its the best thing out there for any pain in your feet if nothing else works... I was a bit worried about getting them but the Consultant put me at ease, I had this done in the Nuffield in Glasgow... Okay when they are giving you the jags they are bloody sore but it sure feels great a few days later when you get up off your chair and you dont have any pain   I know some people will rubbish this  but it was my last resort or hobble about for ever    and the Doctor knows best    Q u A n D O
  • It depends what the sore heel was. You can get a sore heel from a rubbing shoe or a tear in the achilles insertion or a swollen bursa. The advice one would give might differ for each. Did you find out what caused your sore heel?
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Hi Michael the problem is plantar fasciitis
  • Correct Viper   but a really bad case