Stoke 2010K

Comments

• Cant believe this.  As I'm a technophobe and dont have a Garmin etc I thought I'd got  pb today. 

Agree with a few comments, the fun runners shouldve ben started seperately to the other runners I'm no Paula but it wouldve been nice to have  been unhindered at the start.

Not a patch on Muller, but I'm sure Stoke council dont have the cash injection that Muller put into their race.  Nice start to the day though and thank you to the Marshalls and Police who in my opinion were very supportive.

D

• Quimby - tell me about it, the damn Sunflower beats me every year on the Potters 'Arf.

Seems weird that the missing marshall in the park must have been there for the first guy and then just got bored and wandered off. 

I think the part of the publicity for this race was lacking in that there was no real website as far as I could find (seemed to be one a few months ago with a simple pdf of the flyer but I'll be damned if I can find it now bar the council one).  Oh well, better luck next year and I hope Bryan managed to get a good shot as usual.

• Surprised about the confusion as the organisers are very experienced.

Surely the runner who did the course proper should be awarded the race???

• racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Hi mugpunter32, you dead right and he has.

There is a note to this affect at the top of the Results which have now been added to Racephotos.

http://www.racephotos.org.uk

Cheers.

Bryan.

• good decision Bryanimage
  • I loved this race, remember peeps its the first year of this so will gather momentum next year and probably be better organised.  Saying that I loved the feeling of it being a "fun" race rather than a strict one

well done everyone and I got a PB (cause it was my first 10K) LOL

• racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/Stoke2010_Small/IMG_0004A.jpg

Dan Delmelo (race winner), Bedford & County AC making his intentions clear from the gun.

I have about 1,400 to upload from the race.  Remember they can be downloaded totally free.

Kind regards.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Did you get a picture of the 'missing' marshall Bryan?image

He should get ducked in Hanley Park lake

• Haha, cracking comment mugpunter image

I know this isn't probably feasible, but it would be nice if this race could be re-run, Dan should definately be classed as the winner of the race without a doubt, but for those who wanted to do it again (and I did think it was a very good course for those challenging PB times) it would be nice if the organisers could maybe offer the option of another crack at it, just from this perspective.

With money, closing roads, Police & marshall time etc, it's probably a no-goer but it's a shame what happened today as I thought it was a cracking race. I feel for the organisers as Ken and the rest of the people involved really make our racing calendar in and around Stoke what it is, especially the NSRRA league, for which I am extremely grateful as I'm sure many others are too.

• It was a good run, shame about the "diversion". I calculated it to be about 5.22miles (8.4km), so almost exactly a mile short.

Hope it is organised again for next year.

Thanks to those involved in the event organisation, Bryan & co at racephotos.org and those at ukresults.net.

Alex
  • Craig Taylor 7 wrote (see

I'm sure they will learn from this years mistakes
    It was a very good course like you said(well the bit we did of it!)
    If only the Potter'Arf was as flat!

Haha, cracking comment mugpunter image

I know this isn't probably feasible, but it would be nice if this race could be re-run, Dan should definately be classed as the winner of the race without a doubt, but for those who wanted to do it again (and I did think it was a very good course for those challenging PB times) it would be nice if the organisers could maybe offer the option of another crack at it, just from this perspective.

With money, closing roads, Police & marshall time etc, it's probably a no-goer but it's a shame what happened today as I thought it was a cracking race. I feel for the organisers as Ken and the rest of the people involved really make our racing calendar in and around Stoke what it is, especially the NSRRA league, for which I am extremely grateful as I'm sure many others are too.

• Aye its a shame about the "Missing Marshall" but other than that it was a good day and a not too bad course (the bit that we did).

I sincererley hope that they run this race again next year as it was nice to run past my front door .

I was also glad to see that the real winner has been awarded the position as that would have been a travestey of running justice.

I thought that Bryan was joking about the wrong route but as I neared stroke center that it was the stone cold truth I clocked 5.35 miles at the finish image

I was definatley on for a PB for the year had I done 6.214 but thats life and I'll see it as a good training run for the Westbridge 5 next week .

• Well done Graham

Hope you didnt have too many post race pints!image

• Only the 4 "swift guinness' " nae mair till efter the Pots now like !!!!

• Too right Mugpunter, I ran it the other week for a training run, all was great until I hit Milton Road, I forgot how much it hurts (the brain must have blocked out the experience!) image

See you at Westbridge Graham, first time running it for me, have you any idea what the course is like, etc?

Cheers!

• i realised something was up as I went through Hanley Park, as there appeared to be some kind of argument going on between 3 marshalls - 2 were saying that they'd been told to stand where they were, and another was saying they were in the wrong place and that runners were going the wrong way as a result. I guess mistakes happen, but its a shame, and i hope it doesnt put the organisers off doing it again.

I almost carried on when I got to Stoke town centre and did an extra lap, just so that I knew i'd done the distance.  Looking back, I wonder if i could have cheekily claimed official 2nd place if i had...?

• The Westbridge 5 is a good flat course but you need to get to the front before you get to the canal tow path stretch as its possible to get boxed in for a bit , but other than that Craig its a good flat course to which yoy can give your all !!

And I can tell you Its definatley 5 miles long !!!

• Bham SnailBham Snail ✭✭✭

I just want to add to the list of issues from today's race, if I may, they also ran out of medals for the 10k finishers......how does that happen, when the race organisers should know what the race limit was!!!

Also how dangerous the start to the race was having the little ones running under the feet of all us big people, it was a wonder no one was not injured. image

Thank you Bryan and friend for taking our photo's today.

• Haha, cheers Graham for the info, looking forward to the race!

I've agreed to take my father in law out on the Arf course after too, I've dragged him down from Accrington to run the race this year and he wants to scope the course out before the big day. I must be mad.

• Yes I was surprised the 2k fun run never went off 15-20 minutes before the main race You would guess with the experience of the organising committee that this would have been put in place or at least the 2k fun runners should have been asked to line up at the rear of the field..

As for running out of medals I guess its hard to gauge the number of entrants on an inaugural event as there were I believe a fair number of people who entered on the day and although there is a race limit I assume they ordered within the predicted first time race budget.

To be honest I thought that there was only going to be a T-shirt .

Teething problems which could have been avoided but I would run it again.

I still had a blast tho.

• Hey Craig 7 , youve dragged your Father in Law down for the unforgiving Pots ??

Do you like him that much ??

Sometimes Its better to be in the dark about things !!!image

• I didnt get a medal either  image

Can you fill me in what happened today, I was at the back of the race so didnt realise there was a problem

• Too right Graham, he had me doing the Accrington 10k up there in October. Gale force winds, downpours the night before and inclines that just went on for ever and a day. So, being the forgoving chap that I am, I thought I'd see if he wanted to experience the Potteries finest (and quite possibly the toughest!) road race! image

I think I may be off the Christmas card list this year image

• Hi Snaily2,

There were a mix of the fun runners and the main 10k runners all in the same pack at the start, which was a bit dicey as some of the fun runners were kiddies, but thankfully, as far as I am aware anyway no-one got tripped or fell over. No idea why there weren't enough medals, I didn't even know we were getting one to be honest!

Just gotta say this though, I was boxed in at the start and couldn't go anywhere, which hey, it's the start and it gets congested, but this one guy just literally barged straight through the back of this lady running and the guy at the side of her. How it didn't cause an accident I'll never know. I'm competitive and run to be but I'd never do that out of respect to others, just thought it was pretty bad.

• Was there an issue with the route, did we go the wrong way?

I did like the kids being around, it added to the excitement, but I can understand that for competative runners this would be a problem.

I really hope they keep this race for next year, it was a great atmosphere, I was a happy plodder who waved to all the onlookers!!!

• Snaily , The route was short by about 3 quarters of a mile as when we went into the park we were meant to go up the hill to the back of the park and then do a sort of loop around the inside of the park but sadly one missing marshall meant we were sent the wrong way.

Craig , yep  although I have never ran a race in lancs I used to deliver around there quite regular Accrington , Great Harwood, Clitheroe, Burnley and Blackburn to name a few places but I don't really recall many flat bits ! But if you are getting your own back I reckon on your F I L wont be able to top the Pots for punishment !!

• Technically I should have made my life simple today and disqualified everyone from the results except for the winner! image Would have saved me a lot of work after I got home this afternoon as well!!

The winner came from Birmingham yet seemed to have understood the race route better than those leading the field behind him! Once they start going wrong everyone else follows. Some careful placement of marshals will solve those problems for next time (if there is one!) I know that Ken (organiser) was gutted about what happened but he asked me to leave the results as they stand and we agreed the appropriate wording for the note at the top of the results to try to make things as plain as possible.. image

I had a number of duplicate numbers some of which I have solved) plus a mystery number 20 (not a valid number for this race) so if anyone can cast any light ...

Also had qute a few of the 220 on the day entries who obviously couldn't remember their own names when filling in the entry forms - any clues anyone? image

• I thought it was really strange we didn't enter the park at the top but everyone else was going College Rd so I followed. Thinking that A a correction / re-route had been made for some reason and B that the marshals knew what they were doing. As there were Marshals directing us down College Rd.

I was shocked when I got over the line in under 40 minutes that's 5 minutes off my PB (post injury comeback) so I was well chuffed. Now I am a bit pi**ed off.

10k = 10k not 8.8, its probably almost the biggest kind of mistake you can make when organising a running event. However I do have some sympathy for the organiser as all its takes is one marshal to make a mistake and things go wrong.

I had no complaints about the rest thou... and the most important part is I still really enjoyed the whole day.

Might have to enter the Stone event now see if I really can get under 40, more training required.
  • Dead right Marc.  I am a Stokie and run for a local running club.  I have run the course at least half a dozen times in the past month, following what I thought was the "official" route.

Course Directions
    10k Run
    Start - outside Stoke Town Hall, facing south
    • One loop of Stoke Town Centre one way system (right hand turn into Glebe Street, Campbell Place, past Spode, the Civic Centre and Stoke Town Hall, then onto to Campbell Road)
    • From Campbell Road right turn into Corporation Street
    • Right hand turn to London Road
    • Through onto Campbell Place and around the one way system to Glebe Street
    • Left hand turn over bridges (D road and Trent & Mersey Canal), under the railway and along Leek Road to Joiners Square roundabout
    • Left hand turn up Lichfield Street
    • Left into Ephraim Street
    • Right onto Ogden Road
    • Left into Regent Road then straight through to Hanley Park top gate
    • Through Hanley Park, past the main pavilion, over Cauldon Canal and anti-clockwise around Hanley Park Lake
    • Right hand turn and exit through Boughey Road gate and link up with Leek Road

• Under railway bridge into Glebe Street
    • Right hand turn at Stoke Town Hall
    Finish – Kingsway, Stoke Town Centre

This is still showing on the official website:

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/cc/news_releases/2010-press-releases/2010-02-february/039-10.en

I just thought the race had been re-routed until I passed Bryan and I heard him say there was a problem.

Hopefully Bryan took a good photo of me to add to my growing collection.

Better luck next time hey?

• Bham SnailBham Snail ✭✭✭

Bryan has up loaded a lot of photo's, are you on there?

www.racephotos.org.uk

Thanks Bryan.