Options

Stoke 2010K

124»

Comments

• Options

LOL well I'm seeing the funny side of this "cock-up" lets face it "no one died over it"!!!!

I would just like to say once again, I really really enjoyed this run, so come on stoke council lets do it again next year, hopefully with some proper stewards and not uni drop-outs who had too many beers the night before!!! (joke!!)

• Options
    Well said snailyimage
  • Options

To be honest Graham, I thought  as being kind, I had half a notion to enter him in the Meerbrook 15k instead 'for it's lovely scenery and gentle inclines!' image

You are right though, there aint much flat up North! There are some pretty good, challenging runs up that way though if anyone ever fancies doing a run a bit further outside of Staffordshire!

Read the article in the Sentinel today folks, I had a giggle when I ran it, apparently us runners "took a shortcut" through Hanley Park, no mention of the marsalls sending us on the "shortcut" in the first place. And I wonder why I take a cynical view of today's written media image still, good for a laugh!

• Options

I agree with Snaily,at the end of the day it was a mistake nothing more nothing less and no-one came to any harm because of it.

I enjoyed it and the moment of euphoria of thinking i got a PB! Just entered Stone 10K to have another try.

D

• Options
    Donna Brown 3 wrote (see)

I agree with Snaily,at the end of the day it was a mistake nothing more nothing less and no-one came to any harm because of it.

I enjoyed it and the moment of euphoria of thinking i got a PB! Just entered Stone 10K to have another try.

D

Not everyone is as forgiving Donnaimage

Stoke 2010k

You'll get a PB at stone i'm sure

• Options
    racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Can I add my tuppence worth?

Many are saying it was a marshal's fault for sending everyone the wrong way (except Dan).

Which marshal?

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/Stoke2010_Small/IMG_0607A.jpg

I think Dan arrived at the junction and in a split second decided to carry staight on.  You can see the fork in the background of this photo.

When the leader of the chasing group arrived he chose to go right.  No blame attached.  Perhaps he saw the marshal's orange bibs at the gate which made his mind up for him.

The rest is history. 

All supposition, but I don't think a marshal sent you runners the wrong way.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Options
    true, we weren'y sent the wrong way, we just weren't sent the right way image
  • Options

Fair play Bryan! I just followed the feet in front of me!

Found it very strange that there were 3 marshalls just before the fork though and not a one said anything or pointed us in the correct direction? Anyway, all is done with now and I was actually really chuffed with my run when all was said and done - I've done a fair few races in which I have got nowhere near the satisfaction I got from this one performance wise.

Bring on Stoke 2011 image

• Options

Isn't life to short to keep chasing personal bests...

This is the first race i have ever entered and i have to say i really enjoyed the experience, i used the race as a bulid up to the potteries alf in 2 weeks time, at the age of 37 I am new to running only taking it up about 12 weeks ago, and I have really got the bug running 3 to 4 times a week.

I have to say i really enjoyed that atmoshere especially at the start, and the crowds/stewards encouragement was very good.I thought the event was well organised apart from the obvious mistake on the distance.  I hope that this mistermeaner does not deter the organisers from staging the event next year.

• Options

Much more support on the 'arf darron.

Far tougher race thoughimage

• Options
    if i have learned 1 thing from my 1st race its to focus on the carmera....very photo i am on at the mo has somebody running in front of me.....lol
  • Options

FIASCO. I didn't get up at 4.30am to drive from the Cader Idris race to do a 10k that was nearly a mile short. And they had run out of medals, when I pre-entered. image image

I missed the Ilkley trail race for this as I wanted to do a 10k race. It wasn't a 10k race.

• Options
    I really enjoyed this race, the atmosphere was great. I didn't realise that the fun run had started at the same time though - that was a bit daft. I saw children running with us and I did get panicked that I'd be beaten by a kid at the 10k!!

When I saw the time at the finish as being 48 minutes I knew something wasn't right and when my boyfriend confirmed he'd heard some marshalls talking about the route being wrong I was admittedly annoyed and disappointed that I hadn't actually run the full 10k. I was looking forward to saying that I'd run 6.2 miles...never mind, running the 5.4 miles or whatever it was, was still the furthest I have done since starting to train.

I got round the course without stopping, which was my aim and I am proud being as I am a fairly new runner.

Gutted that I am on holiday for the Stone run, but am thinking of signing up for the Manchester 10k in July image
  • Options
    racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

I am not in favour of hijacking someone else's thread to promote another race.  I am making an exception in this case because one or two new runners have posted and make mention of other 10ks in the near future.

Can I make you aware of the Hoar Cross 10k?  Hoar Cross is on the A515, between Uttioxetrer and Lichfield.

It's on a Saturday morning at 10am which is novel in itself.

Reading the 20 comments on RW after last year's inaugural race, all the comments are really positive.

Check it out on my website: http://www.racephotos.org.uk

I have added an interactive map so you can see for yourself what lovely countryside it goes through.

Thank you.

Bryan

• Options

Really enjoyed the course, but it was a big shame it all went wrong! I was on for a PB, so I wasn't too pleased on the day. Hopefully everything will go well next year!

Bryan Dale - great photos again, many thanks!

• Options
    Alex Preston 2 wrote (see)
    I think I just had high hopes with it being my hometown run, but I agree the Muller is a high standard to live up to.  The only problem is that this race cost the same so the standards should be the same.  I like to start around the 7 min mile pace and couldn't get close to this for the first mile or so also the lack of mile or K markers was a bit annoying. I think a few others received their numbers through the post but I signed up over three months ago and haven't received any information at all.

Alex - The Muller race has been going for about 6 years now, they've had time to iron out the problems of holding a mass participation race. I remember quite clearly they had problems with recording finishing positions, running out of promised goodies etc a few years ago.

If the Stoke 2010K is still going in 6 years, I'm sure it'll be just as slick (without the giveaways that Muller give away as promotion though...)

• Options

Anyone else surprised that Bournes didn't make an appearance at the race? Their shop backed on to the start/finish point - I expected they would have set up a stand or given out some flyers or something.

It was disappointing that the race was poorly marshalled but encouraging the no. of competitors that turned out image

As for the goody bag - where else would you get given a bag 4 life and an application form for a Nectar card...? Only in Stoke duck.

• Options

I moaned to the organiser, & he's devastated & really sorry, & has stood down.

I think he should hang in there, as this race has great potential.

• Options
    I enjoyed the race; it was my first in my hometown having moved away 25 years ago, and I will enter it again, next year.

My observations are the distance error, I got a medal (I didn't expect that) but not a goody bag (the instructions advised that t-Shirts would be available in the Kings Hall before and after the race, so that's where I went after the race. There I was informed that they were in the car park and by the time I got there the queue was so long I just went home to my Dad's).

There's clearly some work to do around the organisation and it's worth doing - it should be a regular feature on the Stoke-on-Trent sports calendar.
  • Options

Well said Ian Yates.

However, Muller got it miserably wrong this year. Within 200m of the start they had 1,600 runners going through a gate onto the main road.  I was held up for 2min and missed my PB.

Smart thinking though by Tim Bickett prevented all the negative comments that might have followed as we see above.

After the first comment Tim  was on the forum taking full responsibility, holding his hands up, apologising for the botthleneck and saying that it will be sorted for neck year.

Dont think I have seen such a comment by the 2010k oganising committee. Apologese if I have missed it.

At this point can I thank Bryan Dale for the photo he sent me. Once again makes me look like a road racer. image

Nice photo Bryan of the female winner in Wednesday's Sentinel, pity they did not acknowledge you as they usually do.

Once again your photo coverage was the best out there.

• Options
     What sort of a race would it be without the cheeky face of Bryan Dale behind the camera. To capture all the runners in their quest for glory. You can always count on Bryan whatever the weather come rain or shine to take superb photos and they are supplied (FREE.)  WELL DONE BRYAN you are a diamond. Runningjohn
  • Options

Has anyone that didn't get a medal been sent one yet? I've not. I was promised a refund & medal, but nothing so far.

• Options
    I had my medal in the post yesterday and another T-shirt!
  • Options
    Bham SnailBham Snail ✭✭✭

I just go another medal in the post on Firday.

• Options
    Mine just arrived. No refund as promised, but another t-shirt , so better than nothing!
  • Options
    racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Thank you John Noakes for you message.

If I am a diamond, then it is a ruby.  You made me blush. image

Well done to you John, I am always pleased to see you in race.  You are always giving 100%, but at the same time enjoying yourself. 

Kind regards.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk