TUI Marathon Palma de Mallorca

I've been wavering on whether to do another marathon (my last was London in 2005).

I am keen to do another one, and thought if I make it public then it'll make me more committed to doing one.

I know a couple of guys from the 100 Marathon Club and they convinced me this is a good one.

So, I'm taking part in this event (there - I said it!!) - anyone else tempted?  Apparently the weather is normally pleasant for running and taking a holiday, and the social side is good too!!image

Comments

• This was my first ever marathon in the early 90s and if it's the same course and organisation it was fantastic - beautiful once you get out of the town - orange groves and turquoise sea in little coves - oh, gone all poetic there - logistics getting to start / finish very slick, great atmosphere without being too busy and lots of places to party after.

Go for it!

• Thanks for the info duracelldeb.

I like the sound of this, espec the social side of things!!

I've been looking at flights and at the mo they are very reasonable too.

Where does it start?  I've not sorted a hotel yet and probably need to be fairly central to all the activities.

• As far as I know it starts in the new part of Palma itself and I think it finished with a lap of a 400m track  in a stadium - it was 1991 though and it may have changed since then. I don't suppose the scenery will have changed though and I expect you'll still have the lovely feeling ofwandering around in shorts and T shirt in the middle of winter -gets cold at night though.

Enjoy

• Excellent - thanks for the info.

Now I've made my intentions "public" they feel more real.  On payday I'll be booking my entry and flights, then sort out hotel later.image

• That's it - flight booked!!

Got a good deal for less than £100 return, including luggage and pre-booked seat already!  Now looking for somewhere to stay....

• There's nothing like forking out the dosh to get the motivation and training started - I'm the same - I've entered the Guernsey marathon in August and paid deposit on ferry and accomodation. Keep me posted on how you get on.....
  • Excellent!  God for you.

I will DD - and you too, we are going for island marathons this yearimage

• Hi Andy just booked the Palma marathon and flts booked just the hotel to go, don't know whether to stay in the city or not. Got easyjet flights for the wife and me for £122 so pretty happy with that. Before that i've got the Belfast and Edinburgh marathons to get done.

Good luck with the training WR

• Welcome aboard WR. 

Good price for the flights.  Mine was slightly more but that's because my wife likes to have a 20kg baggage allowance!!! 

Some guys I know are staying in Magalluf, and it is about 20Euro for a taxi to the race start.  I'm thinking about Palma Nova, or city centre.  Undecided yet.

Good luck with your Marathons and your training too.

• Have stayed Ca'n Pastilla before about 6-7 km from palma city centre, next to playa de palma. I was in palmanova a couple of years ago and spent about 40 euros on a taxi to the airport. Don't know about city centre, the hotels are a bit more expensive and usually don't include breakfast. I might well stay at the fonantellas playa at playa de palma stayed there a few times with the kids and its an aparthotel so you get a small kitchen and its right on the beach. It's full of germans normally but that doesn't bother me.

Good luck WR

• Cheers for the tips WR.

When we've decided I'll let you know in case you want a celebratory beer post-race!!

• whitehead runner wrote (see)
    It's full of germans normally but that doesn't bother me.
    That means you'll all have to start at the back on race day cos they'll all have their towels down at the front!  
  • LOL LWJ - Nice to see you on this thread!

I reckon I should share a cab to the start with one of our Bavarian cousins then - they've probably booked theirs already!

• andyp wrote (see)
    LOL LWJ - Nice to see you on this thread!
    Well i haven't got many friends so I thought I might try and pinch some of yours. image 
  • I've just registered for the half. Good flight times and prices from southampton. Just need the hotel now.

Shoudl be a good weekend

• Welcome aboard Malc.

It's looking like the post-race party could be good then!!

• Looking like this might shape up to being a good weekend!!image
  • Agree WR - I think I'm looking forward more to the social side of the weekend rather than the run!! image

Was there talk of another possible "socialite"? - Running Man Dan?

• Hi, I am toying with entering this race?

any one got an idea as to the "likely' weather conditions?

the flights work out well for friday to sunday night and I am targeting a fast flat autumn marathon. It looks flat, but is it too hot?

It is either this or Amsterdam, bit of a difference.

thanks for any advice!
  • Hi Paul, i've been in Mallorca at the beginning of october a couple of times and the temp then is usually high teens and i don't remember it raining.
  • WR- thanks, must admit, I am tempted!
  • Hi WR I when to Mallorca in Oct 2007 and we got one day that flooded some roads in Alcudia!

Saying that I'm looking to enter my first marathon and so far this looks quite good. I can also convince the Mrs with the promise of a holiday!

Not sure were I would stay though... Only been up North... Very very tempting!

• Hi Tony, i quite often stay in Ca'n Pastilla, close to the airport but have been looking at expedia and some good deals at the sol melia hotels on the coast about a mile from the cathedral. Haven't booked yet but looking at staying there. Yep normally the wife can't be bothered going but she's happy to go to Palma!! Booked tickets with easyjet from Belfast for £51 each.
  • WR, just being checking out the route and I maybe tempted to stay at Playa de Palma. Looks close and also on the route itself.

Mrs has agreed, so looks like I will book a week out there!

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Por favor

I'm in for this as my first marathon... Entry booked, flights & hotel - and I'm taking the scenic route back via Barcelona!

Quick question for those who have entered & paid, I entered on the 8th April, now the 15th but my credit card has not been charged yet? I'm on the participants list though... Anyone else had this delay after paying?

Cheers!
  • GeeForce - did this issue get resolved?

I've entered the full, and my wife entered the half on 9th May. Its now the 24th, and still no payment on my card. I got an email saying we are registered though.

I emailed the marathon organisers to see if there was a problem, but no-one has replied as of yet

• Ged KGed K ✭✭

Same for me payless, received confirmation e-mail but no money taken from my account, their website down today also it seems. Booked my flights and hotel so hope no problems with the run itself. 

• Just tried the website and its still down.

I also emailed Thomson Sport to see if they could help - unfortunately, they said tht the organisation was nothing to do with them - its up to TUI marathon to get back to me.

Flights are booked, hotel is booked, training schedule planned, just need the entry fee paid so I can enter into this without worrying!

• Ged KGed K ✭✭
    Website is back up and running, looks a bit more promising. Looking forward to this run, did the Dublin Marathon in 2006 and enjoyed it. Been to Majorca on many occasions and Palma is a lovely place. If anyone has any information on the run, tips etc it would be appreciated. We fly out on the Saturday morning from Manchester and return on the Monday evening, staying in the middle of Palma, so should be a good base.
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Nope - still haven't had a payment taken from my card...

I emailed the address on the confirmation email, (info@tuimarathon.com) asking if my registration was OK as my card had not been charged yet, the replied on 19th April with, (quote)

"yes, that is correct. The Entry was not charged yet. But it will be during the next weeks. Please do not worry!"

I'm on the List Of Participants though, but I notice there appear to be 2 websites now?

http://www.tuimarathon.com/_eng/index.html

and

http://www.tui-marathon.com/_eng/start_en.html

I registered with the first one, (which also has the "List Of Participants" link) I think I will email them again later today image