Outlaw Volunteers

Comments

• My OH wants to pass on his grateful thanks to all the pirates that gave up their time to support the outlaw tri yesterday, he says you were brilliant.

I was also part of the volunteer crew yesterday, in the transition area and also later on in the food tent. If you were splattered by sun block yesterday as you went out on your run leg, it was probably meimage

I had really good time and will be there next year also volunteering (no chance of me doing an Ironman, I will leave it up to you professionals) I promise to use less sun block next year!!!

• ATO most definitely swapping round more regularly, marshalling is a thankless task

It would have been better time allowing to have recced the bits that we had and knowing the traffic regs,  also I think some feedback for the organisers for marshalls to have maps of road closures so that they can advise the non too happy motorists

It was nice to have the classic car rally laid on for us as well   image
  • The Running Postie wrote (see)

My OH wants to pass on his grateful thanks to all the pirates that gave up their time to support the outlaw tri yesterday, he says you were brilliant.

I was also part of the volunteer crew yesterday, in the transition area and also later on in the food tent. If you were splattered by sun block yesterday as you went out on your run leg, it was probably meimage

I had really good time and will be there next year also volunteering (no chance of me doing an Ironman, I will leave it up to you professionals) I promise to use less sun block next year!!!

ah yes i remember you and your suncream hands image
  • A big thank you to all those that came along to support yesterday, I think it went really well.  I'll give it a couple of days for the dust to settle and will feedback your comments to OSB.

Perhaps we can do it again next year?  ive already some idea's about making it bigger and better image

Any other constructive comments (and praise) for OSB welcome.

Just got to say for a 1st time running of the event I was very very impressed.

My comments and those ive picked up on:

Maps for marshals so they can direct people better
    Food on bike course (gels or bananas)
    Contingency bags of High 5 mix
    Extra barrel of water on the van
    Communicate with locals better (was a comment made by the kind publican who let us use their hose)

• Need to try and persuade them to change the date so it doesn't clash with IMR
  • Oi!  Barlos!  coming in to claim the glory ?? !!!
  • Pirate spectators and volenteers thanks one and all you made a great day even better and spurred me on a few times when I was starting flag, awesome feed station and thanks to who ever ran (think it was aitch) to get me some flapjack when I stopped begging for food, tghanks again allimageimage 

My comments and those ive picked up on:

Maps for marshals so they can direct people better
    Food on bike course (gels or bananas)
    Contingency bags of High 5 mix
    Extra barrel of water on the van
    Communicate with locals better (was a comment made by the kind publican who let us use their hose)

for a first attempt I think it puts another UKIM to shame my only comment

put some water in the weed pool image 

• Well that was fun! image

Left arm hurts though, and I think I may be calling out 'High5' in my sleep for weeks.....

Lovely to shout abuse at people all day and have them smile in return though....

Sore throat - AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH isn't kind on the vocal cords. image

• Evening folks image What a fabulous weekend! This supporting luck is mucho fun. I loved the whole thing really, but i'd echo the bit about giving marshalls more info. on the local area, because I think we were sending folk in the wrong direction! Hahahaha. We were supposed to stop traffic turning right, but one women came out the leisure centre, and just said out her window

"I'm from the church and I need to go right to get to...<insert name of place i've never heard of>"

She said that as she was creeping further and further forward, and clearly wasn't to be told, so we let her go as the bike traffic was pretty sparse. Then she promptly ran over a massive cone and just drove off!!!! Honestly..... Most folk were fine though. You can't please everyone, hehehe.

Loved the bike station bit, that was funny. Think I need to go volunteer at a feed station on the continent though, to balance out my right arm.

I do hope they don't make next years race the same weekend as Regensburg though, as i'd love to volunteer again. Barlos, get them told! image

Oh, and of course massive congrats to all the pirates that raced so well. Was an honor to scream at you, and how i've still got a voice is really a miracle image
  • Just wanted to echo the "Well done" to Meldy and Barley for some top organisation, also to Rodeo Clown for the signs image  Also excellent work by all the volunteers who are now a tad wonky in the spine department after all the handing out of bottles!

There were lots of compliments about the awesomeness of the Pirate Feed Station when we were out supporting on the run course and rightly so.

• Setting the standards Mrs F, setting the standards   image
  • Yes, what Mrs F said - well done on herding the posse, and top signage RC - heard many cackling cyclists passing us, and lots on the run on their last lap made a point of thanking us for all the support on the bike too.

And, even though the last pirate finished well before cut-off, lots of us stayed for an extra hour and half to cheer in the last finisher (even though he was a tripetalker!  image   ) and someone - Barley I think - asked the organisers to let us onto the finishing chute to form a very noisy guard of honour for him, which they were very happy for us to do and got the rest of the grandstand down to join as well. Lurking on tripetalk I see he has said that his finish will stay with him forever, which is jolly nice! 

And then we went to the bar. And then back to the hotel. And then to the bar. image

• Great idea for the signs and only to glad to help out. Give me a shout if you need anything like that for future events.

Next time if you could hand out one of my business cards with each bottle of High 5 image image.

Had a fab weekend supporting, great to see everyone and meet some new peeps who I have not met before as well. Cracking event and definatley one for the 'To do list'

• Barlos Moment of the day was watching the contents of a barrel of water disappearing down the road ........  priceless
  • Pure quality that Meldy....5 mins after arriving at the water station we lose all the water image
  • Hahahahahahaha, that says it all eh?! Melds, I forgot to say thanks to you and Barley for organising us all, so thank-you!
  • Jolly yummy choc fridge cake there Lee, thanks again! image
  • Can't get the hang of all these threads, posted on the other one.....had a great wknd, good to be part of a fab team of volunteers, thanks guys!image
  • Brilliant support guys and gals, comments about spare tyres (on me and/or the bike) notwithstanding image. As many of the supporters know from personal experience, having such a orsum cheer squad around the course all day makes a big difference to your mood and motivation, and belting down the finish chute with all that racket was priceless.

THANKS image

• Well it was an honour & a privilege to man (or Pirate) the feed station & do a bit of marshalling!! It was great to hear all the thanks from riders as they went by.  

On the whole there weren't too many ejits to deal with in cars! Most were reasonable and understanding or curious. I found the best way to deal with anyone insisting on going the wrong way was to point out taht although I didn't have an authority to stop them the Police might have a different opinion! If that didn't work make a point of looking at their number plate for a while. image image image Worked most of the time!!

Anyway I've managed to put a few photos up!! Enjoy!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5327622&l=f19f704d7a&id=734725876

• Ahhhhhh Max, that was you was it! Yes it was me getting you the cake! Glad to be of service!

I also held a man's bike when he went for a pee in the bushes then helped him mix some nuun into his aero bottle! I think he was grateful.

I enjoyed trying to think of different things to say to people on the run and I am pretty sure on our corner we said something/cheered EVERYONE that went past us. Good jawb us! Ditchy and I also did a good job of flirting with quite a few men! I think I may of made a woman's day as she overheard me say that she had amazing legs and put her thumbs up whilst running past!
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Evening all image

Did I do an event yesterday cause I certainly feel wrecked today!

Sorry I couldn't stay for the run & finish yesterday...... although I may well have done by the time I got off the M1. Arrived home, drank two glasses of wine and promptly feel asleep on the sofa.

I had a great day & really enjoyed being part of the whole Pirate thing. I shouted at every Pirate that I saw going through Southwell - even though I didn't have a clue who some of you were!!!

Aitch - glad you got to do some flirting image I spent a large part of the morning going 'pretty bike, pretty man, pretty bike'. What better way to spend a day.

Many comedy moments - water butt, BBQ's, Pirates (well just one actually!) stopping for a smoke!

I'd be up for helping again next year if needed....... unless of course I do the event! Barley - excellent job of getting it all started and handing it over at the last minute when proper organisation was required image Top job Melds, the spreadsheet worked wonders.

Well done everyone who took part - both in the race and supporting.

Mitts

• can't agree more with what's been put on here already,   you guys are absolute heroes and must have made everyone's days on that course that was racing........it takes a hell of an effort (& not just to keep Barley from making a mess of thingsimage)

one of the many highlights was getting the mexican wave from the feedstation guys on the final bike lap,  had me chuckling for the next few miles,  great to see those I know again,  meet some new pirates and sorry I didn't get the chance to introduce myself to all of you before I had to get some tired mini pirates back to bed.

as M.eldy says.............setting the standardimage

• Was a great day doing the feed station (sure we were enjoying ourselves far too much), marshling only a few as others have said were not so nice.

Up for doing this again next year if it doesn't clash with anything.

Great meeting new and old faces.

Well done Melds and Barlos on getting this sorted.

• just my twopennorthworth

awesome support guys - every time I came around that roundabout at Lowdham I knew I'd have a big grin on my face in a few minutes time when I saw you lot.

and the run support was fantastic - when times were low your abuse picked me up....image

and a big big thanks for the pint of beer for the finish line - it's only taken me 4 IM to get that. and I promply had to sit down for 10 when I finished it as it made me feel ill!! serves me right.. image

• I learnt a new word from you as you ran past FB...........think someone had just shouted the words 'double ironman next year' at you image
  • I think if memory serves me right it was 2 words - the 2nd was off and the first was fuck.. image
  • Saffy sweety pea wrote (see)
    Correct....what a memory image
    ....  for an old git