Maidenhead Easter 10

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stevie G - ditto!!

I reckon I went through 10M in 1 hour and 1 sec at Wokingham  - made myself puke trying to beat the hour!!!

In theory then, should be do-able........let's hope it's a still day though, as it's very open around the course and strong headwinds have caused me problems there before (I reckon the very strong headwind at Dorney last week cost me a 10k PB!).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Bus boy,

We'll probably be around the same pace at this one, so if you wouldn't mind pacing us, and shielding me from any wind that'll be greatimage

Flatness and terrain wise this one should be spot on, bar a tiny stretch a couple of miles from the end after the bridge.

Not sure whether to give myself the usual turbo blast start by starting way too far back and then panic and adrenaline get me shooting off and up to speed!

Or to start right near the front and have the slightly psychological downer of having people shooting past me! Probably this one though as I'm not sure i trust chip timing anymore after Wokingham!

Did 10miles yesterday in 1hr 11, but impossible to compare to a racing 10miler as the first 2miles were up steep woodland, which probably cost me 4 minutes straight away, and a couple more little hills didn't help.

Anyway I'm on 1hr 02m 16s as a pb so beating that is step 1, and if it ducks under 1hr excellent. There are a couple of U Turns which cost a little, an exposed field that could be windy, and that last couple of miles bit past a bridge that isn't as fast, but let's see how we go.

To do a 10k this weekend first or not is the question?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stevie G - I'll need to eat some lard and grow a few inches if I'm going to be an effective windbreak for you! Personally I like to start as near the front as possible and just try to hang on the pace - I've never managed a negative split!

I reckon a 10k sharpener would be perfect for next week. Way my legs are this week  I may have been overdoing it a bit - think I'll have a couple of rest days after today.

My best time at Maidenhead is 1.02.04, but I've gone through 10 miles in just over the hour twice in halves and once in a 20 miler so it should be possible... If I fail to beat it on Friday I may well do the Cabbage Patch 10 in October, which is a pretty fast course apparently.

See you Friday!

• Looking forward to it...not long to go.
  • hello forumites - yes I did this one last year - plus a few prev years too - NOT entered yet ... seeing how HM goes tom 1st.

be good to see you lot tho - am being persuaded B4 it gets filled up!

GMx

• Right everyone... time to post your numbers so we know who you all are in the flesh so to speak..image.. Mick  and Phil... hope you had a good day at Reading.... see you Friday...

• I will be no-where near the 6 minute mile guys. Hoping to beat 8:30 minute miles. Sigh. Number 67. And no apple. So at least I will beat last years time.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Heck this is 5 days away now...Not quite sure how it'll go...on the one hand...big pb at Wokingham half as recently as 5 weeks ago...4 10ish milers in training since....we'll see.

Had this last week off but actually ran less than a normal week as was a bit run down..but will try and eek a 10miler out tomorrow...somewhere random..maybe the Lookout in Bracknell.

Don't worry Paul...those first 3 miles where you see everyone in front, and everyone behind will keep you involved! I hate those...as I normally like to run my own race and not know where others are...so when I'mtrying to keep a club mate at bay and keep seeing exactly where they are it does my head in!

Busboy, agree with the height bit..not sure about needing lard to cover my thin frame!

Didn't bother with the 10k in the end...i gave into temptation and played a very rare game of footballimage. Legs are utterly aching even a day and a half on.

Hopefully we'll both beat our pbs...that sounds reasonable...sub 1hr might be tricky with the u turns , wind and some other excuses that we'll make up later.image

I quite like the course after the first 3miles...where you see the 9miler marker...and the start and finish way too many times...after that it settles a bit and you can enjoy it..and be glad it's not a half marathon!

Going to Man U  v Chelsea the day after...that should be a good reward!

• The weather may not be too great on the day I hear. Also just found out my grandmother dies this morning so had to go to the funeral Thursday (abroad). Still doing the race in memory of my grandmother. My first race that will be, was supposed to have done Carterton yesterday but came down with stomach bug like the rest of my family and had to give it a miss. Crazy next couple of days but I will be there for sure on Friday.
  • The final mailing of race packs was completed at the weekend for all entrants received online or by post up to and including Thursday 25th March at around 9pm.

Everyone entered since then will have runner packs including your number & chip ready for collection in Race HQ on Friday morning. PLEASE TURN UP IN PLENTY OF TIME!!

see the website for directions and further information. [link]http://www.maidenheadac.co.uk/easter10.htm[/link]
  • I'll be there, I love this race. No idea what time I'm aiming for - sub 80 mins would be great but we'll see. Just a nice race to do to kick off the long weekend! Good luck everyone.
  • I'm in - just entered online - yikes ... pls NO RAIN - GMx
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

one day away...feels odd taking a Thursday as a rest day, but I always rest before a long race!

This is the time to start thinking, at least it isn't a half marathon!

Wil be interested to see how my 1hr 19 at Woikingham transfers to a shorter race, and how it relates to last years 1hr 02 16.

Key is staying mentally focused in the first 3miles when you keep going past the start and finish signs, keep seeing people in front and behind on the u turns, and also see the 9miler marker!

After that it's a nice race where you can relax and just run in one direction without diversions!

Until it brings you back to the 9miler marker and it's on...1miler left!

Hopefully I can find a perfect pace maker like at Wokingham and sit on 6min miling!

Havea  good race all..after the event it's a perfect start to the long weekend!

• It's raining, it's pouring (in Maidenhead)

Well...it was....now it is sunny!

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

What do you reckon Stevie G? Just under 59?  The main thing i remember from last year is the super fast last half mile, oh yeah and the fella that seemed to destroy the whole field in the first mile and win with ease!

Looks like it will be a bit wet, thats not a bad thing though, just hope the wind isnt as bad as today!

Good luck everyone! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mee Meep    Macmillan & RW  calculators reckons about 59:40...so at best it'll be touch and go for the hour...never sure though...as long as it's a pb I suppose. Wokingham I'm sure I did close if not under 1hr ....and that was only 5-6 weeks ago...so shouldn't have lost anything!

Moraghan is re training my set in stone training ways...ie 11 sessions a week...no long run..no speed work...and all medium/hard effort rather than easy and hard contrast!!

Therefore this is the last race on the old training!

What are you looking for?

The 3 times I've raced Maidenhead it seems to have been this kind of weather...and as long as not too heavy and like you say windy should be ideal conditions. At Wokingham I only took drinks from 2 of the 4 water stations, first time I've ever turned down water in a long race. I think it can do more harm than good in mild/cold conditions...kind of shocks your system rather than help it I find.

Last years winner did it in 51mins...a guy called Choudhary from Vale of Aylesbury I think. I believe he's run internationally for Sri Lanka, but not at higher distances. He did 31mins at the Bearbrook 10k.

The most shocking I ever saw was when Phil Wicks won the race in an incredible 48mins back in 2006! I believe 2nd was 55mins...so literally a mile ahead. He was well down the straight after the first roundabout U turn as we were half way down it! Incredible running

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

That is scary quick, i remember seeing last years winner at the Risborough 10k and he ran away from the field then as well. Without putting any added pressure on you i bet you are closer to 59 than 60 mins just with it being such a quick course.  A few people, myself included thought last years race was slightly over distance, between  10.06 and  10.09?

I saw Moroghan has been writing and helping people, im envious!

I've not really got a goal as such tomorrow, more focused towards the Bracknell half then some fun in  the 5k series.image

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this one tomorrow - I do enjoy 10 milers.

Going to pace it tomorrow. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah it should be beneficial...I've known for ages my training is just getting me to the times I'm getting by default of mileage (50 a week). No quality or real logic to it...so hopefully with some decent guidance can only get quicker...just have to get it into my head to run some sessions slower....will be easy once I'm doing hard sessions that literally demand I run other ones slower!

Well we'll see tomorrow... the u turns don't help as they kill your flow..but those 2 are out of the way come 3miles and then it settles down a bit. Finding a good pacer to keep you ticking over is essential I find...that's happened on my 5k and half marathon pbs

If it's up for grabs with that last mile or so on the road, and my brain can remind me that there are a few little turns and not to sprint too early it could be good!

Never sure with over distance stuff...after all the course is measured to the minimum racing line...and who ever runs that! Therefore it's inevitable we'll runa  little extra at times.

Best thing with 10milers compared to 13.1 is it's a much nicer rounded distance, and the miles just seem to tick off a lot cleaner than working out how much is gone as per a 13.1!

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow - first time for me.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Umbongo - it`s a great one. With a couple of switchbacks so you can see the runners in front & behind you.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Stevie G www.miles4miles.co.uk wrote (see)

...just have to get it into my head to run some sessions slower....

I can advise you on how to do that, Stevie image

A minor injury means I won't be there tomorrow, but good luck guys ... enjoy it and let's hope the weather isn't too foul.

• Not bothered about the rain, if it comes, more worried about the wind, which can slow times on some of the more exposed parts of the course.

By the way it's Anuradha Cooray, but I dont blame anybody if they spell it wrong!. Really nice guy, and my teammate. Yes he has ran for Sri Lanka, and has run 2hr 16mins for the marathon.

Good luck everybody.

• Looking fwd to seeing my old time RW Forumites friends tomorrow - but they're NOT on this thread - Y NOT.
    Good luck everyone.
    GMx
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Whoops Martyn...my fault for getting the name ridiculously wrong!

I knew who I meant...and held off spelling the first name!

2hr 16 marathon...so presumably as low as a 1hr 05 half? Maybe that 51mins can be beaten tomorrow then? Or maybe he needs more competition at and faster than his pace to push him on?

I expect to see loads of faces from the Thames Valley cross country sunday league from Berkshire way...plenty of faces to work out if I'm at the right pace! Had a breakthrough beating a stack of people I never usually do at Wokingham..was a nice feeling!

• Good luck tomorrow everyone... see you there.

Stevie - hope you get the 59 mins.  It will definately be a PB for me as I've never done a 10m race before - done longer races but never found a 10m before that I wanted to do!  

Jon - what happened to that weather order then???  The forecast is for wet and windy and I can hear it lashing against the windows now!  

• A great event this morning, and as well organised as usual. My favourite 10 mile race!

Many thanks to all the organisers, helpers and marshalls.

And I got a PB be over a minute!! What a great way to spend a Bank Holiday weekend!! imageimage

See you all next year!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well, a reasonably big pb...1min 20ish so now down to 1hr 00m 50ish seconds pending chip...but not quite the sub 1hr or even a 59 image

Congrats to Bus boy and a few others who did break the hour though...Hopefully my time will come soon.

Pace works out as 6mins 05 a mile, and Wokingham (1hr 19m 21s) was 6m 04s a mile...so not a great deal different I suppose...

For any anoraks....here are the splits..

Mile     Pace

1         5:38         despite trying not to be...no doubt sucked along by quality field

2        5.59          the right pace

3        6.22

4         5:42       Miles 3-4 a bit dubious and very possibly one of the miles measured wrongly as didn't feel such a dramatic slowing then quickening..a few runners mentioned the markers at this point

5       6:21       a fairly exposed part of the course

6      6:09

7      6:07

8     6:08

9     6:19      the gravelly mile and boxed in a little

10    6:03   no big upping of pace as I've done at other races as saw the 1hour chance was long gone.

Basically too fast a first mile, then struggling to hit the magic 6min mile consistenly at all really. Miles 3-4 might have been signed in the wrong place as they don't quite ring true....and seeing 620 for mle 3 affected me mentally a little image. That and being so far down the field as it's such a high quality hub of a race.

I never quite like Maidenhead....those first 3miles do my head in, around and around the business park, U turns, seeing everyone ahead and behind, and I find 10miles an odd distance....then you have windy exposed fields and that gravelly kind of bottleneck mile near the end.

Having said that, great start to the bank holiday weekend to say the least.

Now it's time to look at the training, and root out the "run every run at a medium fast pace", and actually train properly and do more easy and hard contrasts!

Still Wokingham and Maidenhead out of the way...so I welcome the shorter stuff now!

Although that does mean you have to run each mile faster...image

• I enjoyed - Stevie I can see what you mean about the loops around the business park but I quite liked that I knew what was coming for some of it, especially after mile 9.  I also liked seeing the faster runners coming by as I don't usually get to see that at all!!  I'm also with you about the mile 3-4 thing as I also suddenly had a very fast mile despite not feeling like I was going any faster!

I got 1.21.08 which was inside the 1.24 I was aiming for, but not quite the 1.21 I started aiming for after the first couple of miles went really well!!  What it does mean is that I'm on target for breaking my 49.45 10km PB later in May/June.

The only down point for me was the traffic queue on the M4 on the way home.

How did everyone else get on?

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Not a great time for me, 1:06:30 but did really enjoy the race, i enjoy the 1st 3 miles, watching the leader steaming back on his own was quality after that u turn. Was windswept in places but again the organisation was superb, well done Maidenhead!

Still a good time Stevie G, my club mate managed the sub 60 today so happy for him,  the bastard! image

Well done to everyone that took part!