Options

a thread for knitters

Comments

• Options
  • Options

Knitted all afternoon then realised I was a cock up so ripped back.

Cast on again with 75 not 110 stitches but supper and drink have slowed me upimage

• Options

We're going to need pics of the finished item you know.

And as a bonus tip, don't try and spin 4ply when you've had your first glass of wine in 2 weeks. It'll end in tears.

• Options

Just finished it turned out to be 21 by13. Its in the washing machine with my jeans on a 60 wash. I will report back in an hour and a half.

I hope it will be two birds with one stone as those jeans fit really badly, so much so that I can take them off without undoing them. 

• Options

I put it through on two 60 washes and am really pleased with how it has turned out and am actually going to make more of a bag than a purse.

My jeans are shorter but still as wide image

• Options

quick link for an ebook with 60+ accessory patterns in for...7p. Just make sure you uncheck the box asking if you want the Knitting Daily email.

ebook

• Options
    Thanks Kwilter, I've just downloaded it.
  • Options

Ooooo I came in here to post pics on my finished cross stitch 

Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Just finished project

Previous cross-stitches

Other sewing projects

Let me know if the linkies don't work as it's my FB page

• Options

Sew (see what I did there?image), Ladies I have a question for you.

I am looking to knit a scarf, but I am not quite sure how to go about it.  I don't mean in 'the knit one purl one' sense but as in......the motif is approx 80 stitches wide but will have wool carried across the back and I want this hidden.  Do I

1) knit my scarf double width and sew on one side to form a tube
    2) knit effectively two scarves and join them together on both sides

Also I guess option 1 requires a circular needle.  How does that work?  Do I have to somehow mark where the start is and turn the work back and front as I do the rows or can I actually knit in a continuous loop (which I would guess solves the issue of seams)

• Options
    I couldn't come to grips with knitting a motif with a circular needle (or 4 needles in my case) and it wasn't for the want of trying or downloading youtube stuff or crying with frustration!  I'd go for option 2 and sew on some pretty backing fabric as a sort of lining but I always take the wussy way out.
  • Options

I have googled.  I am going to see if I can knit in the round as it seems I just knit and knit and knit and end up with stockinette stitch.

Watch this space image

• Options

Knitting in the round is pretty straightforward, I find the trickiest bit if joining the cast on row, but as long as you're careful not to twist it, it's not too hard. I generally mark the row start with a loop of wool that just gets transferred from one point to the next. And yes, knitting every row will give you stocking stitch.

You could try purling a stitch at what would be the "edge" of your scarf to help it lie flat once you've cast off.

• Options

Hi Kwilter

Kwilter with a K wrote (see)

You could try purling a stitch at what would be the "edge" of your scarf to help it lie flat once you've cast off.

Please could you say that bit again, but this time for idiots image.  Do you mean I purl the final stitch in every 'row'.

I have just cast on my stitches and am getting ready to 'join'. image

• Options

Sorry!

Imagine your scarf is going to be 120 stitches wide: 80 for the motif, and then 20 blank ones on each side of it. You'll need to cast on 240 stitches for "front" and "back" of the scarf. When it's finished, you'll have a tube which will form the length of the scarf, but because of it all being worked in "knit" stitches, there's a risk of it not lying straight, so if your motif is going to be repeated down the length of the scarf, it may twist along it instead of being central throughout.

If you cast on 242 stitches instead, then knit 120 (for the back) purl 1, knit 20, work motif 80, knit 20, purl 1, and repeat the purl stitches on each round, they'll form a small ridge which will help the scarf fold in half down the length once it's finished. The purl ridges will also help you see where you are in each row.

Get back to me if I'm still confusing...I'm better at knitting than writing about it.

• Options

Schmunkee your fairy is stunning, such detail, it makes me go cross eyed.

I think I get what you are saying Kwilter, you are clever imageimage

I am determined to cast on something more challenging than a discloth and not need to rip back every few rows. 

I have managed knitting in the round and as Kwilter says the key is not to twist when you join. 

• Options
    Kwilts - I get it image.  It's those little hints and tips that make life so much easier.  Thank you
  • Options

My completed cross stitch

/members/images/200439/Gallery/306000_2399605948301_1195614877_33076943_4445416_n.jpg

And framed and turned into a firescreen

/members/images/200439/Gallery/Framed_0.jpg

• Options
    Clever Schmukee image
  • Options

Beautiful Schmunkee image

I can't get my head round cross stitch, I have tried and I'd really like to do some but it doesn't work for me.

I may be back.  I have a pattern for a bolero which isn't making sense on paper.  Hopefully when it's on the needles it will but I reserve the right to come back and wave a flag for help.

• Options

Hopes Kwilter appears to help TP if needed.

• Options
    I won't be starting it until tomorrow at the earliest.  I have another cowl scarf to finish first.
  • Options

Wow Schmunkee, that is fantastic! image

• Options
    Lidl has sock yarn in stock and some soft cotton and pompom yarn, the sock yarn is a cotton,superwash wool and polmaide mix. I've bought some to make a baby blanket. 4 50g balls for £4.99 apparently enough for 2 pairs of socks.
  • Options

I've been given a pattern for a twisted scarf by the lady at my LYS.

I've hunted Ravelry but can't find the pattern and I'm a bit stumped as to how I will be able to finish it off. 

She called it Twirly Scarf

Cast on 15 stitches 

Knit 2 stitches turn and knit 2 back
    Knit 4 stitches turn and knit 4 back
    Knit 6 stitches turn and knit 6 back
    Knit 15 across the row

Repeat. 

She warned me he bottom bit would look like rabbit ears but I'd sew them up. She couldn't remember how to finish it off and I can't work out how I'll be able too. 

Help.

Thank you 

• Options
    I did something similar with a bit of handspun, I just cast off at the end and left them. Maybe you could stitch the rabbit ears together.
  • Options

Thanks both.

I found a similar pattern on Rav, Schmunkee, only difference being that you do the 8,6, 4 rows only once and it specifically says you just cast off and it works. 

• Options

Calling Beebs, Kwilter, and TP...

I am admitting defeat and packing up my cross stitch stuff primarily due to fading eyesight, but also because I do no longer have the wall space to hang the finished articles.  My mind is turning to knitting.

I can cast on, knit, purl, and cast off and I can just about make heads and tails out of a knitting pattern.  My project from earlier on a circular needle has been put to one side as i am not very good with that or carrying wool across the back.

I have looked through Ravelry and, being a Dr Who geek, I have fallen in love with Amy Pond's scarf or Rose Tyler's fingerless gloves.  I am pretty certain that the scarf is beyond me at the moment but I was wondering what you thought of the gloves as a project for a novice ie the cabling etc

Thanks

Edited to add - it's obviously an American site.  How do I know what the UK equivalents are for the brands and yarn types?

• Options

My first thoughts:

Rose Tyler's mitts: Nice pattern! I might queue this for one of my Christmas knitted gifts. Practice the cabling before you go out and buy wool at £15 a ball. Gloves are often done on dpns, again, it might be worthwhile to have a practice with some cheaper wool as you can sometimes get looser stitches where you change needles. It's made with double knitting wool, so widely available in the UK

Amy Pond scarf: Tension's less important on a scarf than something that has to "fit". The cables and lace would make it a challenge if you've not done them before. The chart is clear to read and I like the option of following written instructions. Sport weight wool, personally I'd sub DK or aran depending on what I could buy.

I'd use a solid or semi solid yarn for either project rather than multi colour as the cables will show better. Hope that helps, and doesn't sound too patronising (some patronisinhg is good, just not too much image)