City Of Manchester 10K

13»

Comments

• I would agree with Messi, most runners cut corners across pavements. Route is measured along road. There were cones to guide people.
  • I know Garmins aren't as accurate as we like to think, but mine read 0.1 short too.

I cut a few corners very slightly, but not 160 or so metres' worth. I'd say that was balanced out by the places on the route where I didn't run along the fastest line too.

On the one hand, I'm pleased, because I officially went under 40 minutes for the first time ever (39:58). On the other, I know I ran the race at closer to 41 minute pace.
  • Don't get hung up on your garmins. Mine measured 6.5 miles- so long rather than short. I have no doubt that the course is accurately measured.
  • My garmin shows short for this one, but it occasionally shows long too. I'm happy that the course was probably accurate. I got a PB - I don't want to think it was short!

On a separate note - anyone else see the runner that had been knocked over by the cyclist? I think i must have just missed the crash itself, but it appeared as though a guy on a bike had ridden right into a runner - the runner was clearly dazed, sitting on the pavement with the startings of a cracking black eye!
  • I didn't see the crash, or the dazed runner.

I did see a marshall shouting for a policeman while some cyclists milled about.  Was it about three quarters of the way through the first lap?

• I take it back, my garmin measured 6.05 not 6.5 as originally thought! I still trust official course measurements over garmins anyday though. Was the course the same as last year? It seemed so to me. Was that also supposedly short?
  • I didn't run the race last year, so don't don't know whether the course was the same.  I trust the course measurement, but in races my garmin always measures long.  I've always put this down to not running the shortest possible distance over the course and the weaving around other runners.

This time it measured short, and I ran a suspiciously fast time...

Anyway, it's in the books now, and I'm officially a sub-40 man (by two WHOLE seconds)!

• Based on what I read so far, I guess it must just be me , but I found the organisation pretty poor  compared to last year.

Parking was horrendous - both getting in and out . I couldnt see any signs for toilets , but soon the massive queues gave up the location . I thought the guy on the mike saying "listen UP everybody," dont start near the front if you are not a fast runner " was ridiculous .  At Abbey Dash , they at least put markers to indicate anticipated finish time . I know there is no obligation to stand in the right spot but some of us do have moral fibre and appreciate that others are faster than us , so we would get in the way . I started just ahead of the guy with the 1 hour flag, as I was aiming on sub 60 . makes sense  , right , just as we left the athletics track , I almost plough into the back of a woman carrying her handbag and WALKING ?

Oh and while I am here , why is the water station at such an obscure distance ? I carry my own  so it doesnt bother me but I know others around me , were struggling nearer the 5km - which seems to be the more usual location.

Anyway, I am not sure I will be back next year - K swiss , you might want to review the organisation on this one .

• Afternoon all,
    I thought it was a good race, not the most scenic and a little cramped in places especially around the sharp corner where the "B of the Bang" used to be.
    I've put the course into mapmyrun and the distance seems pretty accurate. link:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/manchester/571127868404587157

On the event webpage it says there is a Salford 10k on 5th September. I might try that next, but I cant imagine the scenery being much better image

Cheers
    alex
  • Alex, The Salford 10k is around the docks and the lowry centre so will be a bit more appealing than you are thinking, See you there.
  • Bump from the deadimage

I see a few of you did this event last year and I just wondered about a couple of "organisational" points:

1. As you can enter online, does this mean you still have to send an SAE for your race number or are the race numbers/entry list emailed to the competitors once the entries have closed?

2. Were you able to park in the grounds of the MCFC Stadium? Or is it better to jump a bus down from Piccadilly Gardens?

3. Some people mentioned "the hour flag". Does this mean that you get put into "pens" stacked by estimated time?

Cheers

neon red

• AndrewB10AndrewB10 ✭✭✭

Last yr

1. Race numbers were posted out - no SAE

2. yes plenty of parking at the start but it took a while for people to get out after the race

3. No pens 

• Definately get the bus mate.

• That guy with the flag, was he a pacer? Or was he just stood at the start to give people a guide?

(And if he was a pacer, were there any others for different times?)