Pigeon toed running

I've been running now for three-four weeks and getting really into it.
Now I should say that Ive never been a runner, at school I was the one at the back walking and chatting with my friends much to the frustration of the teachers.

I have slightly flat feet and my feet are pigeon toed (slightly more on my left foot than my right).
The problem was not noticeable as a young child but after an accident as a teenager which lead to multiple surgery on my left foot it became more prominent. They did try physio on my feet at the time but it was in vein and the doctors came to the conclusion that if its not causing problems leave it.

Well I had pretty much forgotten about it (apart from my husband who seems to find the way I walk/run very amusing!) until I started running!
It was fine when I was building my fitness level up but now that I am running for longer its causing real issues with my left knee.
Two days ago I ran for 6 miles and just under the inside of my left knee is still painful meaning I havnt been able to run since.

Yesterday I decided to go and get myself some decent running shoes to support my feet. I went to a good running shop in Bristol and they seemed a bit baffled by my feet, after calling the chiropodist up to have a look they did find me a pair that will hopefully encourage me to run a bit straighter and support me feet.

Im feeling rather disheartened at the moment not being able to run and wondering how long its going to take for my knee to recover and do I have to wait for it to fully heal or can I do some light jogging on it?

I dont want to loose my fitness level while im resting it so yesterday I started swimming assuming that as its low impact it would help build some strength in my knee without effecting its recovery. Is that the right thing to do or should I be giving it complete rest? Im also doing 40 minutes of aerobics per day and havnt stopped but am skipping on anything that has high impact on my knee like jumping, running ect and just concentrating on the upper body and stretches, squats ect.

When I go back to running should I be focusing on running with my feet straight (it feels very unnatural, almost penguin like and is hard to run like this) or should I run how I feel comfortable and let my new running shoes do the job.

Any advice would be much appriciated, thank you.

Comments

• First things first, wellcome to the forumsimage

Second, well done starting running.

Third, don't be disheartened - even if you feel nobody on here cares, just look at the number of viewings your thread has had shows people careimage

I am not going to pretend I have the answers, or even fully understand your particular running issue - there are those on here who will have encountered, if not experienced similar problems.

You have taken the right step in getting proper running shoes, and this has highlighted your gait. You need to visit a sports phyisotherapist for professional advice for your knee. More than likely this is a minor inflamation due to the increased activity - could be that you have done too much too soon? It could also be due to having run in poor fitting shoes which have not been designed for your particular running gait.

You say you had extensive physio which then ceased as your lifestyle at the time did not impact on your mobility. This indicates that you do have an issue which really needs addressing - might be time to finally get your feet sorted?

So, best advice I can offer is don not be disheartened and seek professional advice. It is worth replying to your thread with updates as this not only gives ohters on here opportunity to offer further suggetions and advice, it also keeps your thread on the front page - so anyone cruising around say during their lunch (like me), may pick up your thread and offer a few snippets to help you.

Good luckimage

• Hi there and welcome to the forums!! Totally agree with all Boffin has said, I know when I had my knee injury I stayed off the treadmill/roads until I couldn't feel any pain whatsoever in it. I really didn't want to do any lasting damage to it.

I stuck to non impact excerise - like the cross trainer for example. That way I kept my aerobic fitness whilst allowing my knee time to recover. 

With regards your specific injury etc, I agree with Boffin, go to the Doctor or a physio and see what they have to say! 

Don't let it put you off! We all have hurdles so to speak! This is yours!! 

Best of luck!

Sharon 

• Thanks for the advice. My knees still painful this morning so looks like I will have to wait a while to try out my new running shoes!

I think I will take your advice and go and talk to the doctor. The main thing that worries me is if I make a conservative effort to keep my feet straight once my knee has healed, I could end up doing more damage as its so unnatural to me.
    I am finding it frustrating as I was just getting confident and really getting into it and now I've been set back!

Still swimming is helping so I will carry that on while im out of action!
  • morning Peanuts,

The real question is - should you be trying to keep your foot straight? I don't know, but your professionals will.

The frustration you feel is so common to just about everybody on this forum at some time or another - regardless how experienced or not they may be! Usually we are frustrated because of an injury, but there are many reasons why life seems to get in the way of our running. Being set back puts you in the position to plan and then go forwardimage

Keep up your swimming and other non/low impact activities - if it hurts, stop - otherwise keep going. Let your body guide you.

The sooner you get professional advice the sooner you will have a plan for the way forwardimage

• Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum. I have the exact same problem as you but in reverse. It’s my right knee. I found your post through a search for shoes for people with pigeon toes and knock knees
  • I'm in a similar boat too. Due to being a little bow legged with a pigeon toed right foot I had terrible runners knee, it may have been it band instead as never had it diagnosed. I was doing 10k,s no problem but when I realised I was pigeon toed on my right foot, I thought correcting it would make me faster!. Bad move, since trying to keep my foot straight I ended up making my right knee glide at an un natural way for me ,as it grinded away every time I bent my knee at the end of every 10k I could not walk or do stairs up or down without pain. 3 months off running in summer and still not fully recovered but now that I allow my right foot to point in while running Ive not had any additional problems so, correcting gait takes its toll in other areas. Sometimes, you should just run how your body naturally wants to even if it looks wrong or seems wrong. Sometimes when you correct a problem you create a new problem!. I'm no professional though so don't take my advice but use it as anecdotal by all means.