Torn calf muscle - help needed

I ran the Thanet 10K last Sunday, the weather was horrid, raining and cool so I did some stretching and a very minimal warm up mainly as I would have been soaked. Early into the race I noticed a pulling in my heel and soon after that a scrunching sound and feeling so I stopped a s the pain as quite bad by then. To cut a long story short I limped to the end of the race - could'nt walk for the rest of the day and after a physio visit at the end of the week had the news that I'd torn the soleus muscle and the tendon. It's now strapped up and I've been told that it will take about 4 weeks before I can train again. He's given me exercises to do as well as my ankle is stiffening up as well.
Has anyone had a similar experience and any advice to add to the physio's as I'm miserable as the running was going so well and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose all the speed that I've worked so hard to get - slow by others standards I know (9min M). Any help PLEASE

Comments

• Hi village runner I know how you feel!...But best thing to do is listen to your physios advice.Injuries need time and patience to heal. Ive been struggling with a similar injury for quite a few weeks now and wish Id done more icing and stretching to help the healing...which leads to quicker and more effective repair.Scar tissue has now formed and my muscle is less flexible and more likely to tear again if put under pressure...Im having physio to break this down and stretching up to 5 times a day.
    Its really frustrating not being able to run I know, but try and stay positive and keep yourself motivated with other forms of exercise- as and when your physio suggests.Im keeping up some level of fitness by swimming,cycling and gym work(No running yet) but now have a longer term view of my running..I want to be able to run when Im 80! So am taking things at the pace suggested by my physio and listening to my body more. Hope this helps.
    P.S 9 mins by my standards is brill!
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    I had the same thing a few years back and at first it kept recurring. The answer? NEVER stretch the muscle when cold. Absolute minimum of 10 mins jogging before you even think about it - I never stretch at all until the end of my sessions.
  • Thanks Lyra and Glenn.
    I'm doing the iceing and heat and the exercises, am only allowed to do minimal stuff for my ankle as I can't stretch the calf yet. I went for a walk today but it just made my calf stiffen and become very sore so I'm truely miserable but will try to keep positive. 4 weeks seems a long way off and the progress in one week seems so minimal but thank you for your support.