Female Running Partner

Hi I live in Leeds (Kirkstall area) and am 30. I have just started doing a bit of running again. For motivation it would be good to run with someone else.

I work full time so can only do evenings and week ends.

Contact me if you are interested.

Comments

• Have you tried running sisters, they are on the net. I cant remember the address but a good search engine should find them.
  • Why not run with Kirkstall Harriers? We meet Monday and Wednesday evenings at 6:50pm (ish) Kirkstall Leisure Centre.

There is always someone the same standard as yourself, both in terms of speed and distance.

You dont need to join to run with us (at least not to start with, its only £8 anyway, with a free club vest), but just come along and introduce yourself.

Stu
  • I work in Headingly and can do early evenings if you're interested. Just started again after an injury, so we may be at the same level.
  • I've just moved to Leeds and am desperate not to go to seed! I'm looking for other women keen to keep fit rather than be competitive, although doing the occasional race does get the old adrenalin going! I'm moving to Moortown in a couple of weeks and am managing a couple of laps of the local park in the meantime but would love to run with others of the same standard as me to keep my motivation going - its always easier to sit in front of the telly! I generally can manage 4-5 miles but have done the GNR a couple of times for the experienceand wouldlike to push myself harder.
    Please get in touch if you need some company on your runs.
    Liz

• Hi folks,

I have contacted a couple of you, or heard from yourselves.. I am over Bradford way, near to Halifax. If any of you fancy getting together in a central place, let me know.. I can currently manage about 6 miles, in 67 minutes... I know there are Halifax Harriers, but as yet I am still a little hesitant about joining them. Mind you with dark nights drawing in, I think I may have to!!

Or anyone in my area, give me a shout!

There are loads of clubs in Leeds - Kirkstall harriers, Horsforth Harriers.. there must be more actually but I am not sure of names.

Happy running ;-)

Les
  • I live in near Hebden Bridge and although I enjoy running on my own, I would like some company sometimes. I did the race for life 5k and have entered a 10k in November (my first). Not too sure about joining a club as feel I may be too slow. Can only runn weekends & evenings as work f/t.
    Gill
  • Hi all,

I am in contact with some of you - at least I tried to email a couple of you anyway! My system went a little AWOL so not sure if they got through.

my hubby said he would taxi me where-ever, and I thought it might be nice if we all got together once a month or so for a long sunday run. What do you think? Plenty of lovely canal towpaths in the area - safer if there are a few of us too. Or could have special treats like a run in Ilkley near the moors or riverside (more hills!!), or Hebden Bridge along the canal or up the hills, for a change.

I am next free on Sunday November 10th - along way off, but have got other things on before then... What about a 6 mile run? I am about 10 minute miler, and much much slower up hill!!!!

Mail me and let me know what you think!

Would be lovely to have a special run to look forward to.

Les
  • Leeds Clubs, my colleague says there is a club called the Valley Striders, they meet at Scott Hall Sports Centre, Tuesday & Thursday 6.45pm.

No good for me, but might be for some of you based in North side of Leeds.

Take care

Les
  • Nicola, I'd go with Kirkstall Harriers or Horsforth Harriers
  • Anyone living in the Bolton area who fancies getting together for regular runs with a view to improving. I am a slow - 12 minute miler- at the moment and get stressed when trying to run with other faster runners. Can anyone help?
  • Any of you leeds runners fancy running the dovedale dash on Sunday (assuming it's not cancelled because its too wet)

Its enter on the day and a wet but fun 4-5 miles cross country. I did it last year and loved it. It's in the south peak district. I'll be driving down but this year I'm on my own and will happily take others.
  • Hi Nicola, I am a complete beginner and I live in the Leeds 8 area, so I think the Valley Striders mentioned previously would be good for me to go to. Also I am looking for a female running partner to run with for company, think I would feel a bit stupid running on my own. If you want to run with me get in touch.
  • Sorry boys, you are not going to like this. For those of us girls who run, especially beginners think about joining the Womens running network. This is a network set up by women for women. Currently it is mainly in the West but gradually breaking out. By all means join another club as well, but the network is a good means of female support. They have a website with full details available.
  • id love to run with a group - but i am painfully slow and would be too embarrassed to join, im about 12.30 min mile, and snails whizz past me!

if you start one up at kirkstall let me know (i live about 4 miles away so is easy for me to get to) and when im 'up to speed' id love to join you!
  • No, never too slow, this is what it is all about being comfortable running with others who do or have felt the same. Women understand other women so who better to run with. As far as I know as yet there isn't a group near you, but may I suggest you contact the Network, they also offer training, who knows you could be running your own group in no time at all. The network needs people like you and me, spread the word. Currently I run with three others in Norwich, we have a good time, gossip and giggle without feeling intimidated.
  • im sure there are good runners/running clubs out there. however i joined my 'absolute beginners' running club at the local gym and they were doing far better than i could - i simply ended up sobbing at home as i felt so useless. I worked my way up to running 3 miles then joined the absolute begginers when it started up again for the next lot of 'newies' and they did cross country on the first day !! so now i drag my poor hubby out with me or my son on his bike. But one day i will be good enough to be an absolute beginner !! thanks for the words anyway FB.
  • Poor you, but I do sympathise with you, I have been there, sadly not everyone understands the term beginner. I went to a beginners session and ended up running 5 miles with hill training and then had time off with shin splints, needless to say I never went back. Try and con a friend into running with you, and do the race for life when it comes around again. You will be surprised just how many of us there are out there. Keep at it and if you get the chance visit the WRN website. Good luck and keep running.
  • i did the race for life in may at roundhay. id started running in january and just about got to being able to do 3 miles just before the day. ran/walked on the day and had the BEST time !! then stopped running til a couple of months ago. Back up to 'speed' now with another 5k roundhay race on sunday - just need to keep the training going after that and ill get better and better - im not going to stop this time !!

Ill check out the WRN, thanks!
  • I live in Allerton Grange Avenue, 5 minutes from Roundhay and hope to be meeting up with a first timer tomorrow night. There are a few of us of varying abilities who run together in the evenings. Do get in touch if you fancy joining us - we promise to be gentle!
  • Hi there
    If any of you know of any running sisters in halifax, or queensbury area - that would be useful.
    Have to admit I am losing the momentum, and finding it hard to get out there. I dont know anyone round here to run with - well, I'd rather run with ladies to start with. Have often thought of stopping folks when they are out running and asking if I can join them one day - they'd probably run a mile if i did !!

I have contacted some of you kind forumites, and thanks for your messages of support!

My motto for the day is 'must try harder'...

go-slow
  • Penguinette, I'm meeting up with Liz Benali and Helen Lowther Friday night at 6.30 pm - are you coming along too? I am a complete beginner and have never run before, so I'm going to be well behind everyone else. It's just an informal group of about 4 or 5 ladies and they run in the Meanwood area. Maybe see you then at Liz's.
  • Penguinette
    I don't live near you but I do think you should go out with Sue Dyson and the others. Don't be put off by being a beginner - you won't always be one. I do know what you mean though, I've met so many people who say 'Oh' I'm just a beginner' and after five minutes you've lost sight of them. PLEASE go with the above nice sounding ladies - its much more fun in a group and you will improve leaps and bounds - literally.

Good Luck!

P S - I'm a 12 minute miler in Bolton at the moment so I do understand.
  • Well done girls, that's the spirit. Penguinette, I agree with Munchkin, meet up with the others, you'll find it far more enjoyable, hubby can then put the bike away. Once you get running with others you will find you start to improve much quicker. I know I keep plugging this but you girls should visit www.womensrunningnetwork.co.uk , although currently it is mainly in the West of the country they are branching out and offer great support to women like us. They are organising a roadshow in London in January with sponsorship from Adidas. See you there.
  • thanks for the invites - youve made my day !!
    i wont be able to join you this eve as i am doing a 'race' at roundhay on sunday so am not training today or tomorrow.
    but if you let me know where and when youre meeting next time i would love to join you. If you would email me and let me know how far you went this eve and how long it took you, if i think i wouldnt hold you back ill make it if i can next time.
    thanks again !!

have a great time tonight - ill be thinking of you at 6.30!
  • Oh well, well see you another night then!

I may well come down to the park to cheer you on. I was going to run it myself but decided to leave races until the new year.

Have a great day and hope to see you for a few runs in the area.

Helen
    (What number are you so I can give you a cheer if I'm about?)
  • I have no idea what my number is - but you cant miss me. I have a full head of blonde braids !! and ill be going s l o w l y......

if you go, stand at the bottom of one of the hills, a whoop of support might just keep me running to the top! lol!!!

enjoy your run, hope to see you soon.
  • Frances Barton

I e-mailed the womens running network you mentioned but the response has come back as there is no such site. Can you help as I would like to get in touch with them to see if there is a group in Bolton.

Cheers
  • Penguinette, I did my first run Friday night with Liz and Helen, I did 4.7 miles in an hour running round Moortown area - I was very pleased with myself and also very 'knackered' the tops of my legs are aching quite badly this morning. I'm meeting up with Liz and Helen on Tuesday evening at 6.30 if you want to come.
  • Penguinette, What time are you running at Roundhay Park on Sunday? I might go along to watch to see how the experts run.