Isle of Man Marathon

SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
Anybody else doing this marathon? It's the 25th year of this event so promises to be even more special this year.

It's also the first event of the Grand Prix week, that is really worth doing.

Comments

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    How easy is it to travel to IOM? (from Dorset) would you recommend the whole week - camping?! and how fit? have enjoyed several marathons - slowly!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You've changed your name, but your photo looks familiar!!

Easiest way to go from Dorset is to fly from Southampton, I think that's probably the nearest airport that I know goes to IOM.

If you do the marathon it's 50 miles of racing in the week, I find it exhausting but the best training I get all year, usually run my best marathon time for the year a couple of weeks afterwards. You can do the half marathon instead if you wish.

Except for marathon/half all the races are in the evening so you have the days to do whatever. Good for camping, I believe.
  • I'm thinking of doing this to get a London qualifying time - and just because I've never been to the IOM. I think I'll put my bike on the train and go over on the ferry from Heysham.

I'll be looking for a B&B in Ramsey - what's Ramsey like? Whats the beer like? I shall be travelling alone ... heh, heh, heh!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ramsey is the next biggest place (after Douglas)and will give you a chance to cycle round the course the day before, if you want, it's a 2 lap course so you'll only have to cycle 13 miles!!. I've never stayed in Ramsey, but think there's plenty of places to stay. Douglas is a bit like a Brit seaside town, loads of places to stay, and you can get a free bus to and from the marathon on race day. You should have no problem finding anywhere to stay, one of their busiest weeks is the following week (TT races). It's a beautiful island, nice friendly people. Why not stay for the week and do the Grand Prix.
    They are hoping that Sir Norman Wisdom will be doing the marathon presentation, I will try and confirm that for you.
    What race time are you looking for?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. If you like Guinness, it's the best I've ever tasted outside of Ireland
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    That's because it's brewed in Ireland and shipped across from there, not brewed under license in the UK. The local ales are pretty good too. Try Okells or Timothy Taylor. And the pubs are great - in fact, the IOM is like Ireland (craic etc) but with a different accent). Enjoy!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say ... have wanted to do this one for years but circumstances conspire against me.

Any race reports will be gratefully received.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley - is it the beer on the IOM that conspires against you? You seem to know more about the beer than the marathon!!
  • thinking of doing this race can any body tell me how many entries they normally have
  • You can see their past results on http://www.woodheights.freeserve.co.uk/ and get infon on this year's event. I went over for the half marathon in 2001 and we stayed in Ramsey. Not a lot to do at night and not many real places to eat (even the chippy closed at 9pm!) so try to find a place to stay where you can get an evening meal. We stayed at the Eskdale which was friendly, reasonably priced and 10 minute walk from the start. Douglas is the place to stay if you're having a few days over there - there are hundreds of B&Bs but some may be of dubious quailty - contact the tourist info office for details. The race organisers can put together fairly reasonably priced deals including flight and/or ferry and accommodation. There's a free bus (at least I think it's free) for competitors from Douglas to get you to the start and there's a bus back too. Well worth the trip though - the flight from Liverpool was brilliant (20 mins) - much better than 3.5 hours on the ferry and about the same sort of price too.
  • BOING!

Shades - thought I'd give this forum a leg up from page 12.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Dunnarunner, I am struggling to get any interest on this thread. Not so busy at work today then? I don't suppose you are even considering doing this marathon, are you? It would be great to have a few Trotters there to celebrate my 100th. I did check the net last night for flights to IOM, best I could find was from B'ham, travel out Sat, back Mon £68. Bristol was £155!! I know they fly from Southampton but couldn't get a response from the flight search.
  • Shades - Bristol is the only South West airport offering flights to the Isle of Man - click on timetable to see all flights in & out of IOM this summer.

No idea of prices, availability etc.

No! - this doesn't mean I'm interested - another marathon this year is definitely not part of my plans!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I go by ferry take my car too, I can't travel light, especially for 5 races. I was checking the flights for Liz, but car and foot passage on the ferry is definitely the cheaper way. One year Pauline (Trotters) came with me, we got a £25 rail fare to Liverpool and flew from there. thanks for that website address, useful.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha

Could try getting a cheap rail fare to Liverpool, then ferry.
  • I have a place in the IOM marathon. Looking forward to it. I believe the course is a bit hilly. Does anyone know how bad it actually is? Also, when I received confirmation of my entry there was a leaflet concerning the UKA ruling on own drinks on the course. Basically, not allowed own drinks unless given to nominated drinks stations before hand or have the organiser's drinks. Other events do not seem to bother with this rule and allow people to carry their own. Does anybody know if the IOM actually enforce this? I need my own juice & Gels - if not then I will struggle greatly - I'm not very fast with or without sustanance anyway!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Idlerunner - I have done IOM 4 times, and have in the past carried my own drinks and always carry sweets etc. I haven't had my race details back yet so have not seen that leaflet As far as I understand the UKA ruling, supporters are not supposed to hand you drinks etc en route. So if further supplies are required you need to arrange to send them out to the drink stations through the organisers (as is done in road ultras and elite runners in big marathons). I think it is deemed unfair that some runners may have supporters following the round giving waiter service, when other runners with no support have to wait for the next drink station. I have in the past sent out my own drinks to a couple of drink stations in this race(I'm a slow runner but still need that energy boost) and it's great cos you don't have to carry the flipping stuff around with you or try and spin it out.
    Please email Peter Cooper (IOM) re this to confirm, I would like to know his response, his email address should be on race details, if not I can let you have it.

Re the course - it says flat with a couple of hills, well it is flat for the Isle of Man, I would describe it as undulating, but not a hard course, nice downhill stretch in last mile,(and at 12 miles of course, being a 2 lap event).
  • I live in IOM & have done the half a few times but am going for the full this year. Race starts at sea level & then gradually climbs to a peak of 300ft at about four & a half miles. It is then downhill/flat all the way back to the finish or half way if you are doing the full. Just keep in mind that you need to do the climb twice for the full. It is probably one of the flatest runs on IOM as everywere is hilly. Don't worry about the drinks, you can carry your own or have them put on the drinks stations. There were 77 finishers last year although this may be over 100 this year so drinks stations is not a problem. It is a well organised event with free transport from Douglas to the start at Ramsey. You get a t-shirt, medal & a great buffet afterwards. If anyone is thinking of coming over & staying the week for the grand prix then Douglas is the best place to stay. It has the majority of B&B's & is central for all the races. You can camp but the weather can be unpredictable.
  • Thanks for the info Shades & Jason - Very pleased to hear the advice on drinks. My running coach seems to be trying to scare me again - Said it was hilly! Doing one hill twice should not be too bad. I shouldn't be asking (I have already arranged our annual holiday around the IOM marathon at the cost of ear ache from the wife!!)) but where can I find more information on the Grand Prix?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think there's any info on the web re Grand Prix. The guy that's organising the Grand Prix is:-
    Kevin Masters Tel: 01624 664074
    Email: kev.in@manx.net
    Sunday- Start with the marathon(or half), marathon runners get an extra 10 points
    Monday- 4 mile Hill race (road and off road)
    Tuesday- Day off!!
    Wednesday- 10 miles road flat
    Thursday- 6 mile hilly road
    Friday- 4 mile road undulating

apart from Sunday all races are at 7 p.m. so you have the day to relax etc.
    20 quid to enter all 5 races, incl marathon, tell Kevin that you've already entered marathon. Each race has it's own prize presentation etc and grand prix entrants get points and presentation/buffet etc is after Friday night's race. Great fun, usually end up in a pub somewhere after each race. Each race starts from a different venue, though Mon & Fri both start in Peel.

If you do the marathon, thats 50 miles of racing in one week, I find this is my best week's training of the year and usually run my best marathon time of the year a few of weeks later.
  • Many thanks for the info, Shades. I think I'll just stick with the marathon this year! Don't think I can manage any other part of the Grand Prix just yet.

I'm now off to do Blackpool Half. Hope everyone keeps up with their training for IOM. It sounds as though its going to be great. Come & Say hello if anyone is doing Blackpool this weekend - as my gear in the photo shows my running club should be easy to spot!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Put it in your diary for next year.

I'm off to Blackpool too this weekend, doing the full.

• Hi Shades,
    Thanks for your response on the Blackpool thread - you have certainly given me food for thought - IOM looks a very interesting prospect.
    If I can get 'spouse consent' I think I will give it a go.
    Craig
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Craig - Not the easiest place to get to from Dorset, there are flights from Southampton. Why not take your spouse on a week's holiday and do the Grand Prix?
  • Shades - just found out that I can fly from Bristol - takes an hour - for around £85 to fly out on the Saturday morning returning to Bristol on Monday afternoon.
    The idea is really growing on me......
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good price from Bristol.

I've done this race 4 times and it's never been really hot (famous last words). That means you'll be there to help me celebrate my 100th.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon, not birthday!!
  • Shades
    fyi:
    http://www.flybe.com
    British European website.

100th marathon - simply amazing- how many years has it taken you?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    1st in 1995
    2nd in 1996
    7 in 1997
    then just kinda crept up to
    25 in 2002
    13 so far this year
  • Incredible volume of events! I presume you have had to travel quite extensively to do this many?
    What is your training workload like?