Free Coaching

Been thinking about this for a while as I've been giving a little bit of help to people off-line (for free, this isn't spam).  I'm interested in doing a bit more and in the distant future maybe even for money to put towards trainers.

With that in mind it would be good for me to increase my practical experience by coaching some people online here and maybe good for them to see if coaching can help their running.  I do not have any UKA qualifications so "buyer beware" applies.

What I Would Offer

-  Full, detailed training paces

-  2 weeks of workouts in advance, adjusted based on feedback from the prior weeks workouts

-  These workouts as part of a longer term, structured and progressive plan.

-  Answers to any questions whenever I can via email or forum

Runner's Criteria

-  You own a garmin or other method of accurately measuring pace

-  You would do your best to follow the schedule at the paces recommended (I know life gets in the way but if you sneak away and do different workouts to those suggested it defeats the object of the exercise).

-  You have some clear goals, timelines and proper dedication, i.e. if you are type who has a week off through laziness don't bother.

-  You already run mileage of at least 25 miles (4+ times) per week for 5k aspirations, 50 miles (5+ times) per week for marathon aspirations and pro rata in between.  Ideally with time and commitment for some more.

-  You are free of injury that requires professional help.

-  You have been running for at least 18 months.

How this is done is up to you.  It can be entirely off line by private email or via this thread, or maybe via a thread of your own.  I think it's more useful for everyone done publically so we all learn something (me included). Let me know if there's any interest and post here.  Maybe it will even improve my bedside manner!

Any questions, let me know.

Comments

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Interesting offer Moraghan - I'm not coachable myself (being too much of a bloody minded know it all) but I do hope someone takes up your offer - I consider you one of the most sensible posters on here.

I will watch with interest image (oh and keep the bedside manner please - its funny when you get grumpy!)

• Mr Moraghan, yes please, I know due to work I have to adapt my running but would definitely appreciated your pearls of wisdom, i will facebook you later if ok. i already do some of your suggested techniques. ie drills
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

I'd certainly be interested but am off now for a routine sports massage.

I think i have a fair idea of your coaching ideas so would certainly be interested in discussing it more

• Yep, I think I can do with some proper coaching. very willing student, i fit your criteria and want to be the best runner i can! will also try to facebook you thanks
  • I'll give it a go and I fit the criteria.

My goal is a sub 3:15 marathon in 2011. I'm happy to do high mileage. I'm running about 50 a week at present in training for London and Edinburgh following the RW sub 3:45 schedule. PBs are 41:30 (10k); 1:31:30 (HM) and 3:25 (marathon). What else do you need to know?

• I'm interested. Just let me know what to do next.
    Thanks
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea Moraghan.

I do 50 miles a week, and this has got me a 1hr 19 half marathon, but I get the distinct impression I'm not getting the results I could.

The "speedwork" I do is with a club that isn't high in quality (both in terms or runners and actual session) , certainly isn't timed or measured precisely.

Generally I do 11 sessions a week, mostly between 4 and 6miles...when I have a half marathon or a day off I'll try and get a few 10milers in. This definitely paid off for Wokingham as got about 8-10 9-10milers in.

The week to week schedule generally involves a lunchtime run at work 5 times a week of 4-5miles usually involving some hills and woodland. Then generally the evening run will be 5-6miles, bar perhaps a speedier 3miler on the friday. Generally runs with my club are tue and thur...the tue being hill efforts and the thursday either being more of the same, or up to 10miles.

So there's 2 big flaws in my plan...a regular long run (although I have done 5 10milers since Wokingham which was only 5 weeks ago), and good speedwork.

Other pbs are as follows...although these I would think are bound to go next time out, in line with the 1hr 19 half...

10m      1hr 02m 16  Maidenhead 09

10k        37:03    Hotel Olympia Feb 2010   (poor course with u turns galore...bad marshalling...probably not an accurate marker of current 10k fitness)

5m       29:38      Hanney October 09?

5k        17:23     Burnham Beeches   (fairly undulating course as well)

Immediate Aims are to get down to the times Macmillan reckons a 1hr 19 should achieve....sub 1hr for 10miler, 28:30 for a 5m, 17:10 5k and 35:40 10k.

I think I hit most of your requirements, certainly have the hunger to improve and run a lot.

Last note, I'm the type who takes a day off to do a longer run...and who has to severly rationalise a day off running.

Fit the bill?

Longer term aims, are of course to improve across the board and hit my maximum.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps apologies for such an overblown posting compared to others!image
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Nah Stevie - he'll need more specifics than that anyway imageimage
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i started posting when only Sawney Bean had replied...then realised I'd been writing for ages.

but hey...that's dedication...probably

• It looks like you've got a stable of athletes already, Moraghan!

Now, surely you cant be nice to that many people.....?image

Best not mention the 'potential European Medallist' bit otherwise you'll be inundated at this rate!!! 

• Moraghan, i'd be up for it if you want to work at the slower end of the scale?

Malc

• <a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=6&MemNo=323276" title="Visit Moraghan member profile">Moraghan</a>   - I'd be interested in this.  My responses to your criteria are below, let me know if you fancy working with me.

You own a garmin or other method of accurately measuring pace

Garmin 305 / sports tracks.

-  You would do your best to follow the schedule at the paces recommended (I know life gets in the way but if you sneak away and do different workouts to those suggested it defeats the object of the exercise).

This I can do, but you would need to work around my shifts. I work 12 hour shifts 3-4 times a week. Currently run 4 mile in the morning before work and 8 mile on the way home @ easy pace with running sack. I use the days off to get the quality in. I can send you my current plan via email if you wish, to see if your willing to work with it.

-  You have some clear goals, timelines and proper dedication, i.e. if you are type who has a week off through laziness don't bother.

Currently run 80+ a week.  Mid term goals (next 12 months or so) sub 2:30 Mara Sub 1:10 HM. Run 8 - 10 times a week, one complete rest day every 3 weeks or so. (around 1 a month)

-  You already run mileage of at least 25 miles (4+ times) per week for 5k aspirations, 50 miles (5+ times) per week for marathon aspirations and pro rata in between.  Ideally with time and commitment for some more.

I have room for around 12 hours running per week.

-  You are free of injury that requires professional help.

all good / have had niggles previously but when this occours I move to more trail running / ice baths.

-  You have been running for at least 18 months.

Only seriosuly around 12 months but ran for a few years or so.

• I need some help if you want a real challenge!  5k time 34mins and getting slower. image  I'd love to do a sub 28mins 5k and can commit to 4 days a week (but no more due to swim and bike training too) so I understand if that possibly puts me out of your criteria.  Currently doing around 30 miles a week over 3 or 4 days.  Would be very happy to discuss further.

Great idea - and very good of you to offer your help. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Midland runner, not sure you need any online coaching with those times!image

• maybe we should post our pb's and what we are trying to achieve
    42 years old, started running seriously Feb 2009
    6'4" 11 3/4 stone
    pb 800metres 2.10
    5k 16.52 club event- 17.08 in proper 5k race
    10k 35.28
    10 mile 59.31 hilly
    half marathon 1.19.51

this year want 2.08 800 metres
    sub 17 in proper 5k race
    sub 35 10k
    beat half marathon time, planning lochaber half in october
  • You already have my details, but I don't mind being a public guinea pig and showing some accountability on here. Really looking forward to getting things started once Blackpool is ticked off next weekend.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad to see I know a few of you already from other posts! I'll take a look in more detail later.

Kittenkat asks a good question for the time being about my philosophy. Hopefully it comes through in most of my posts, but it is a pretty essential question.

- I believe in relatively high mileage irrespective of target distance, including a midweek longer run and a long run at the weekend which should be at least the distance of the race - unless you are going further than a half marathon. You need relatively high mileage for both aerobic development and to be able to support the volume of quality necessary to race at your best.

- I believe mileage should be viewed as a long term goal. Experienced athletes using the full gamut of workouts will be looking in terms of adding an average of 10 miles a week on a yearly basis (e.g 70 per week in 2009, 80 per week in 2010, until you reach your personal sweetspot), if racing at the same distance. Unless of course there is convincing evidence that mileage is being handled well and with no negative repercussions or with newer runners on low mileage.

- On the flipside one of the most neglected aspects of distance runners is basic speed. You have to be doing some sort of basic speed most weeks of the year - this may be strides for some, structured rep sessions (e.g. 10 * 100m), Kenyan diagnonals or even alactic speed work for others. These are not anaerobic workouts but are for neuromuscular purposes and to hit a few of the fibres that easy running won't (but hill running will).

- Training must be progressive. Progressive from week to week, month to month and year to year. Too many people go from 3 miles of vo2 max to 5 miles in one year. It all must be proportional - does your overall mileage go up by 60%? No, nor should your quality volume at a given training pace with the odd exception. Increasing training quality is not about just increasing your volume it's about increasingly its intensity (usually via recovery duration / speed / distance, rep length etc) in a progressive and manageable fashion. The emphasis of training must vary, ideally every 4 or 5 weeks.

- Quality aerobic development is best done (initially) at upper aerobic paces (MP / HMP / some tempo / 10k) rather than vo2 max for most. I think VO2 max and rep training is far too overused for most runners - given the distance they train for. It's too stressful and gives less bang for your buck. The classic tempo pace is effective training but has become overused in relation to the paces that "old school" (and let's face it, faster runners) used to do - that is progressive runs, MP runs,steady state mileage. All this with the proviso that NM coordination is being developed by some basic speed or turnover work. Vo2 max is best in small quantities in relation to the more rounded aerobic LT development.

- I like hills! But they must be done properly, which usually means not too steep, focusing on technique and not barfing at the end of them. - Make your hard days hard and your easy days easy. I'd much rather 10 miles of quality work followed by a day of 5m easy than 7.5 miles of quality followed by 7.5 miles of easy for example.

- Runners do far too little dynamic flexibility, technique drills etc. But there are only so many hours in the day. Do them once the running is done and only if it is.

- Running Technique shouldn't be ignored. Although I would limit this in personal absence to footstrike in relation to body mass, forward lean, relaxation and maintaining cadence. You can be effective with heel strike as long as it lands in the right place!

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

- A coach should be giving workouts that are challenging but manageable. Racing is done in races (without an ipod on!).

- You don't train based on aspirational paces. Have stretch goals and targets but realise the most effective way to attain them is to train based on current fitness - your body will tell you what you are likely to be capable of approaching your race not something you wrote on a piece of paper 6 months ago.

No traditional formula but none of this is original! Coaches I particularly like Lydiard, Ray & Benson, Rubio, Pftizinger and some interesting stuff from Jay Johnson I'm looking into.

• Moraghan wrote (see)

- A coach should be giving workouts that are challenging but manageable. Racing is done in races (without an ipod on!).

- You don't train based on aspirational paces. Have stretch goals and targets but realise the most effective way to attain them is to train based on current fitness - your body will tell you what you are likely to be capable of approaching your race not something you wrote on a piece of paper 6 months ago.  

I like that approach.  I'm going to remember that when I next want to put myself in a time bracket (that I ususally don't meet). image
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Soup - am sure Moraghan would be able to give you some decent advice on overtraining for 5ks - if you are getting slower I wonder if its stamina at threshold you are lacking (i.e. going off too fast and dropping off in the last 2k)...

Liking the philosophy so far I have to say - I wonder what you think of flexibility in training Moraghan? I always write myself a nice plan and then change it around from day to day depending on how my body seems to be recovering from the previous days session - on your coaching it seems like you wont be allowing for much of this - I would dare to suggest that it might be a bit of an injury risk to keep following a plan even when the body is telling you not to...thoughts? (sorry for the hijack by the way!)

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

It's definitely a case of listening to your body at all times and only the runner can do that. 

As a general rule, if the body doesn't feel able to do the workout or would leave it unreasonably fatigued you downgrade the workout until it does.  That may mean a non-run day, cross training instead, recovery rather than an easy, a split of a long easy run into two shorter ones.  I would hope that's the sort of thing that can be anticipated in advance due to familiarity most of the time.

One other thing.  It's going to be difficult to start this now for people with a marathon in 4 weeks or equivalent!  What am I going to tell you to do?  Probably to ensure adequate taper, eat lots of pasta and try and have a shite before you start!

Ideally you'll provide your PBs and a longish term main target (date, aspirational time) with as many intermediates or B races as you like to do in the interim.  A record of existing training is very helpful - including paces.

• It sounds like people will do very well out of this moraghan and I hope it goes well for you and youi don't regret it image

Sadly I'm out for now as I keep getting injured so I need to address that before I can look at improving my times and race performance. I may well be interested in the future though. You do seem very knowledgeable and straightforward to me which has got to be a good thing.

Best of luck

• I'm another one who's interested but for the future since I don't meet your criteria at the moment (I haven't been at it long enough). I like your approach and read your posts with interest, particularly since you seem to base what you say on research and evidence. If you do procede with public threads I look forward to following them.
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

I think perhaps a reasonable number would be 6 (the Blooper 6 perhaps).  Any more and my running might suffer!  Kaysdee it goes without saying is in (prior arrangement).  Midland Runner - cause he's already very fast and improving quickly (might make me look good!).  MR - Send me a pm and we can swap contact details.

If it's to be done publicly perhaps a thread per runner where we discuss overall structure, specific considerations, why and show how we build the structure.  Following that the schedule itself which will hopefully encourage discussion and feedback from workouts.

Let's see what other interest there is so we can get a mix of abilities, sexes and target distances.

• Hope one of the "Blooper 6"is a forty+ year old male trying to get sub 20 min 5km. Would try and follow that thread. Ran the first 5km in 22:23 of a 5 mile race on Sunday.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    i'm so gonna get edged out by a lovely lady....but hey there are worse things in life...
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the project Moraghan. This looks to have the potential of win-win for everybody involved.
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Stevie G

It looks like you'd be an interesting subject to tackle given your training hits a lot of things I don't like!!  See, guilt trips do work!

If you're interested send me a PM with training log if possible.