Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

Comments

• It's still there. Feels fine on rest, but as soon as I walk for a bit, I can feel whatever it is in a very specific location. I did manage to get an appointment for tonight, but then his wife went into labour this afternoon. She could have waited a few hours image

I have an appointment on Thursday with the other physio, I haven't seen this one before, but they're all computerised so he should have my history without wasting half the time going over the past.

The two little uns go back to school tomorrow (Jack is next wednesday!) so I should be able to rest it for most of the day.

Still keeping my fingers crossed it is only a few days rest job and nothing that will bench me.
  • Just popping in to say happy new year to everyone!

Hope that you get good news from the physio today Kelly image

• Happy new year.

News is undetermined. He said it would be a very unusual place for a sf, but me and unusual tend to go together. He says he feels something in the middle joint of the middle toe, but it is just a strange location.

Massaged my plantar and surrounding areas and has taped my foot. It feels better walking, but I can definitely feel it as soon as my toe touches the floor. It doesn't seem like soft tissue to me and I still sense it being the bone, but I go back next Wednesday to see my own physio and reassess.

So, it may or may not be serious, no definitive answer.

We'll see what a few days rest and strapping does for it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed it's just some random little niggle Kels.

Pain under the foot always gets those alarm bells ringing!
  • If it was the foot in general I would for sure think it was some kind of strain, but it feels like the bone in the middle of my toe so I'm scratching my head how that can be related to something muscular or tendons, etc that is tightening something up. He did check for calf tightness and range of motion in the ankle etc and if nothing else the foot massage felt nice image

It is feeling much better since it has been strapped. Who knows?!

I just hope I don't use my full year's insurance cover in 2 months!
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    kaysdee (Kelly) wrote (see)
    .....and if nothing else the foot massage felt nice image

image   image

Hope next week`s session proves more conclusive.

In my physio session I was watching my toes flex uncontrollable esp when she turned up the juice image I was thinking "wiggle your big toe - or don`t " 

• How's the foot feeling now Kelly? Hope things have improved for you. How did you manage to cope with getting a foot massage?? I hate anyone touching my toes and would have freaked out I think.
    Finished nightshirt this am and already done my run so can relax a bit now and catch up with my domestic chores!!!
  • It doesn't seem to be any better, despite 8 days rest. It is still strapped, which means walking is ok as the toe is slightly raised and there is no pain, but I'm still "limping" due to the tape. I'm aware of the actual toe though. It isn't swollen, but even at rest, it feels like the toe is bigger than it should be, like if you wrapped an elastic band around the end of your finger, after a while, you'd feel the sensation of pressure. The toe itself is not strapped, so it isnt that, the tape is like a figure of eight around my foot, but not on my toe.

That would be all well and good, I can quite happily manipulate the toe, bend the joint, squeeze it and it isn't painful, but as soon as I'm standing and put any real pressure though my toes, like as if I was going to do a heel raise, I get a shooting, sharp pain, both horizontally in the middle joint of the middle toe and also going up towards the tip. It almost feels like a stinging cut would, hurts for a few minutes and then settles again, but I still get that feeling of pressure in the toe.

I really cant work it out. A friend reckons if it was a sf, it would be more of a dull pain and I'd feel it when wiggling the toe with my fingers, but it is in such an odd location, I just don't know what it could be. It doesn't feel like a nerve pain and still feels in the bone, but I suppose it has settled more on the joint. If I'm walking and step on an uneven surface, or a kerb, I get a fleeting, damn that was sore shock, so I don't think I could run though it. I'd be willing a to give it a shot if a sf was definitely ruled out, but have a feeling I wouldn't get very far.

Getting annoyed with it now as there has been no improvement at all.

Will just have to see what he says on Wednesday.

Apologies for any weird words... Auto correct and predictive typing!
  • I didn't bother before as we all know the pitfalls of google, but have just been surfing. The more I read, the more it appears that mortons neuroma is what I have. It started exactly where diagrams I've looked at show, for a few days, it felt like it was at the ball of the foot before it radiated upwards and it is common to feel the pain in the toe. The fact I can pretty much do anything to my toe pain free and it is only when I stand makes a sf seem much more unlikely. That makes me happier image.

I'll not say what I suspect to the physio and see what he comes up with, but fingers crossed I'll be back on the road soon. I can run through discomfort if I know I'm not going to permanently damage myself!
  • Kelly, I had mortons last winter and in November too.both times I had an injection (my decision) and was back running within 2 weeks. So no big deal if that's the diagnosis
  • Thanks, Dash.

How are the LSR's going? Have you had any more thought about a HM?
    GER is on my must do list this year.
  • What exactly is a Morton's Neuroma and how do you fix it?
  • Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Kelly, been a bit in and out due to working most of Xmas and had a bit of a bug but am looking to step it up now. I have unfinished business with ger so that's a definite but gear 10k in may is my priority.oh, and I seem to have developed a sore left shin. Hopefully, nothing serious.
    Speedy, its inflammation of a nerve in ball of foot/ middle toes area. It's almost pinched and usually manifests (for me personally) at the end of a longish run causing me to stop and the pain then lingers like an unwanted relative at Xmas (again, for me personally!)
  • Treatments include therapy in the first instance and maybe orthotics which I already had so not an option. then injection and a last resort is surgery. I believe they lob a couple of toes off! image
  • Did you get a diagnosis yesterday thereof physio? Had a look at Mortons neuroma as I had never heard of it, sounds the better one to have : ( are you managing to cross train, aqua jog or swim ( know you are a big fan ; ) )to keep you sane??
    Trying to motivate myself to go out soon but it's really cold and windy and I am really tired today so don't expect too much from run but you never know.
    Are you getting used to predictive texting istyle????
  • I think the wind is what puts me off the most. Makes everything else seem so much worse. Hope it wasn't too bad.

I'm getting used to the iPad now, it still feels a bit strange with the auto correct/predictive style, especially since I don't often proof read. The thing that has sucked me in is the apps though. I do have to fight the kids off image. My laptop is fixed now but I haven't used it! When I put it on the other day it felt so alien.

Well, I have good news!!

Physio thinks it was just a bit of inflammation of the extensor tendons - the toe ones - and things improved overnight before I saw him. He really worked on my foot, which was lovely, then my calf, which was bloody awful. He said the tightness there, I wasn't even aware it was tight, links in with the tendons, re-taped my foot and gave me the ok.

I ran 2m on Wednesday night, on a treadmill so that I could stop immediately if need be. I can't remember the last time I used a treadmill. It felt like awfully hard work. I then did 25 mins on the bike, then iced.

Foot felt fine yesterday morning, so ran 3m last night. I thought my CV fitness had really taken a hammering, and it probably has a little bit, but the difference in running in the fresh air compared to the stifling heat of a gym is phenomenal.

Foot initially felt a bit stiff this morning, but I had already planned non impact and just 60 mins on the XT machine - yawn - and Pilates for the first time in a month. I was counting down the minutes. Things feel so hard after a break.

So, I'm feeling very good about things now and definitely dodged a bullet. Now I need to decide about the Brass Monkey next week. I certainly can't race it, but will likely. Do it as a LSR if there are no adverse reactions over the next week. We'll be staying at York the night before anyway. Unless I can tempt CC2 / anyone with my number?? They do swaps.

I'm currently engaged in a covert operation at the moment. OH is 50 on Monday and I've probably been really cheesing him off as I've completely downplayed it, but I have secretly arranged a meal at a nice restaurant for us, the kids and both sides of the family for tomorrow night. Secret if he hasn't been reading my emails or texts image
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Kelly – Great news! Must be a major relief for you image

• Kelly, that's great news about the foot.  I find the predictive text on the iphone a bit of a nuisance as I always forget to delete the word it thinks it should be and then I do a space and it changes it. Arrrggggghhhhhhh.  My poor nephew (Euan) is forever being called Evan although he is currently too young to understand.

Enjoy your dinner tomorrow and I hope your hubby is suitably surprised and pleased with the party.

• Kelly, have had shin pain since Monday and am seeing Physio on Monday. Have spoken on the phone and am hoping it is merely inflammation and nothing serious although I have a bad feeling about this.oh
    well. Time will tell.
  • Thats excellent news kelly image Take it easy though.

Hope that you enjoy your meal and thanks for reminding me that it's my husband's birthday on sunday! I've been so busy I'd totally forgotten about it image. I'll take the kids to town tomorrow and get him something.

Dash - Hope that your shin settles down, I've had recurring shin pains in the past but they've been ok recently after following a tedious stretching routine after every run and having regular sports massages.

• That's good news Kelly. It's worrying when you don't post!

I can't afford a trip to York so can't help you with offloading the number. Sorry!
  • hi jax,

can i pick your brains? my pain is a dull almost burning pain on the inside of my shin. its not tender to touch and not really in a specific spot. does that sound like yours? and if so, how long did it take to go and what exercises did you do?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Kelly, just flashing through the posts, saw you saying your problem was extensor tendonitis...was it just a pain when you moved your toes then?

I had that once, and found a good way to treat it is to put your feet in a bowl of water as hot as you can and madly flex and wiggle your toes.

A couple of days of that sorted mine out 100%, and could run through it too...

If what you had is a lot different ignore me...obviously all injuries are different...and often people can just get a very mild case of something hence 2 day recovery period as above!
  • Dash - my shin pains were different to yours, they were always in specfic spots and felt like bruises when I pressed them. It was really frustrating and took about 4 - 6 weeks of ice, rest and cross training for them to heal properly. I saw a physio at the time and he thought it was due to tight calf muscles. I still sometimes get twinges in my shins but nothing major.

I do 3 different calf stretches that the physio showed me after running and I also make sure that I warm up properly and do a few dynamic stretches before I run. You're doing the right thing going to see a physio - I hope that you get good news on Monday image

• Cheers jax. Will let you know how I get on
  • Stevie - no, it was pain on weight bearing. Very sharp on each step, which is why I initially thought it was a stress fracture. Took almost a week before I could even walk on it. Thankfully, it seems to be at bay, but I'll bear your tip in mind.

Jax - sounds very annoying. Glad you remembered the birthday image

Dash - hope it isn't as bad as you think.

Argh, the restaurant just rang 3 minutes before OH went out. Typical. So, he knows we're going out tonight, but hopefully he just thinks it is us and the kids. I was going to ring them this morning, but didn't think they'd be open so early.

Did a gentle parkrun this morning. Absolutely freezing, car said it was -2. Two pairs of gloves job, but still shorts and tshirt, ha.
  • Kelly-great to hear you are able to run again. sensible option with the treadmill but difficult when you are used to being out on the road. Take it that your foot is ok after parkrun yesterday so normal training is resuming?image Hope you had a nice meal yesterday and your OH appreciated your attempt at surprising himimage

CC2 - How is your training going? Still working on core before the mega miles??

Dash- shame about shin pain, have you been able to see a physio yet? Have you been increasing your mileage to bring something like that on?

Third day working 12 hour shift for me and I am too lazy to get up early in the morning to run before workimage. Not popular with OH as I left garmin watch in bedroom and it beeped all night, I am obviously used to the noise because it never woke me up!!LOL

• Hi Mrs D - yes, foot has been fine. A little bit of "I can tell I was injured" feeling in it, but it is nothing.

Not really normal training at the moment. I did 4.5m in total on Sat and haven't run since (life) but hope to get out for 6 tomorrow and see how it goes. If everything remains ok past the weekend it will probably be a bump in mileage next week, but easy pace and then take it from there. The positive thing is from the few runs I've done, my pace is the same as before.

Judging from OH's choice of attire on Saturday, I don't think he suspected anything image. I'd asked a couple of times throughout the afternoon if he wanted me to cancel the table to get him off the scent. I then chose his outfit and he was pleasantly surprised when we walked in. It was a nice meal and then everyone came back to ours. Kids stayed up the latest they have ever been awake... 11.30! Thankfully they had a lie in, for them, the next day.

We're quite tuned out to beeps, etc due to Jack's feeding pump, so I don't think I would have heard it either, but can imagine it would be annoying. Oops.

We've been out today, McDonald's bagel breakfast, mmmm image
  • Have you been to Body Pump yet this year Kelly? I just had my first taste of Body Pump 80. I suspect I'm going to have sore shoulders tomorrow. Squats is Lady Gaga, chest is Nirvana, biceps is Survivor. Abs (horrible) is Adele (also horrible - how fitting). Didn't know the rest but the lunge track is tricky and the shoulders track is hard. The instructor thought the back track was hard but I didn't. Must need more weight on next week.