Options

Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

1140141142143144146»

Comments

• Options
    Good to hear you are back now image was beginning to get worried as it had all gone very quiet. Getting some good miles in there and some at pace which is promising. Back to behaving now as Mr M has a close eye on you now-lol.

Good luck also to all the VLM runners. I will be recording it and spending the afternoon watching it.
  • Options
    Easy parkrun on Saturday and yesterday morning was spent watching VLM on the tv as I had already finished my running for the week.

Great results from CC2 and Lotte (I cyber stalked).

6m easy this morning and have another MP run to look forward to tomorrow image

What is everybody else up to?
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear you are back in training Kelly! image

How are you finding it so far? 

• Options
    I seem to have no problems with distance, 13m is easy and easy pace is the same as before with very low effort, but it is a push when I up to steady / MP until my breathing settles. That has always been the same, but the faster paces - when I did a few parkruns around 21.45 - felt really hard!

Hopefully a few weeks of upper aerobic running will start to bridge that gap. Disheartening to run a 5K at 5K effort with what used to be HM effort image

Nah, I'm looking forward to a comeback image

I'd feel better if my foot felt totally normal, but overall it is improving, so no complaints. Got the date for my ultrasound... 3rd May, then another wait to see the consultant again. Received my MRI CD though so hopefully the next appointment will be productive.

Enjoy New York. I must go back there one day.

Nothing on the horizon for me, just need to get a solid block of training in.
  • Options

Phew, really good to hear you are fine and back to running Kelly. It was worrying when you were so quiet! Will be interesting to see what the ultrasound shows anyway but hopefully that is you fully on the comeback trail now.

Lol at the cyber stalking, just back from London town today!  yes I had a good day yesterday -  3.06.02 which is over a 6 and a half minute pb in 7 months so very pleased. Started too fast as usual and went though the first half way to fast in 1.30.40 so the last 4 miles hurt! For some reason my 5k splits aren't showing on the results site so will have to phone in the morning.

How did CC2 do?

How is your training going Mrs D? Whats next for you?

• Options
    Nearly 3 minutes behind you Lotte - 3.08.58. But I went through the first half in 1.34.34 so the last few miles were actually my fastest. I could have gone faster, but I just wanted to bag that sub 3.10. Knowing it was in the bag I did some showing off aeroplane arms going down the finishing straight. I bet I look a right tit in my photos.
  • Options
    Well done CC2. Another negative split. I admire your pacing.  I am too chicken to do it and really ran the risk of it all blowing up in my face. But I got away with it this time. I just cannot imagine being able to run the last few miles as the fastest.
  • Options
    How is everyone recovering?

I had a really good week last week, around 55 miles, a decent MP session and a decent steady session, LSR of 14.5m, all is right with the world image

I've been making a conscious effort to slow my easy pace down so yesterday's 6 scraping under 9m/m felt incredibly easy, despite my longest run in 4 months the day before, which also felt easy.

And then there was today. Damn.

First real test with 3m easy to steady and a mile of strides, inc the recovery jogs, then 6 x 1k @ 6.35 w/ 90s rec.

1- 6.34, ok, adjusting to the demands of the pace.

2- 6.48, oh dear. Into the wind, but still, it doesn't usually affect me that much.

3- 6.36, back on track but starting to feel hard.

4- 6.34, feeling pretty spent and know I can't do the next two.

5- 6.42, with a very gentle down gradient. Recovery down to 9.40 and I'm knackered.

6- 6.46, I'm trying, but just cannot lift the pace, breathing is atrocious.

I usually just continue on with my cool down, but I had to stop, and bend over for a couple of minutes to catch my breath image.

How did I ever run 10k - all in a row - at 6.22?!

My 10k pb certainly felt easier than this.

I have to laugh. It felt absolutely horrendous, but I know it is the first step to regaining fitness and still the fastest I have run in months. Another few weeks of decent training and it will start to feel easier again - won't it? image

I was quite blasé about this 2m relay I've been guilted into tomorrow night... It's only 2m right? God knows what is going to happen, ha.
  • Options
    It will take a little while for it to come back, but once you open the floodgates you'll be flying.

As for me, I have a streaming cold. I'm drowning in my own mucus and marathon fitness is slipping away.
  • Options

Yes I agree with CC2 you will be flying soon enough. Nothing from the foot now?

Sorry to hear you are full of the cold CC2.

I didn't run at all last week. I have a sore foot and also feel like my marathon fitness is slipping away. Sigh.

• Options
    CC2 - hope you are feeling better now. Lotte - what is wrong with your foot? I still feel my niggle every day but it isn't stopping me from running at the moment. I had my ultrasound this morning and it turns out that I'm not one in a million after all. Finally have a diagnosis after 4 months... Mortons neuroma, which is the first thing I suspected after a stress fracture. Not one, but two. Main one between the 2nd and 3rd, but a smaller one between the 3rd and 4th. News to me as I don't feel anything at all that far over. I now have to wait until 28th May to see the consultant again :/ Wednesday night went exactly how I though it would - terriblyimage. 13.33 for 2 miles, how embarrassing, although it was pretty windy and undulating. 10 in all with the extended warm up and cool down, ie run there and back. Rest day yesterday and supposed to be a MP session today but just did 3m recovery. I was fine when I left for Tuesday's session and literally as I walked back through the door came down with full cold symptoms. I thought it must have been hayfever for it to be that sudden, but still felt crumby on Wednesday and yesterday. Just a lingering headache this morning so decided to play it safe. Probably explains why It felt so difficult on Tuesday! So, what is next for everyone?
  • Options
    Why did it remove all my paragraphs when I hit submit??!
  • Options
    I can't see an edit button on this new layout, sorry. I did type it with line breaks.
  • Options

My lurgy is finally on the way out, but I fully expect to struggle in faster sessions and the two (yes TWO) races I have next week. 

Hurrah for a diagnosis at least. So what do you do about it?

• Options

Yes what happens now?

CC2 - 2 races this week? Blimey you are brave! Good luck.

I don't know what is wrong with my foot. It is my left foot on the outer edge around the 5th metatarsal joint I think but a bit hard to pinpoint. sometimes it feels in front of this and sometimes behind. It hurts as my foot bends through the movement from heel to toe (not sure that makes sense but struggling to describe it.) It just appeared on the night after the marathon, I hadn't felt it during the race but I did have a big blister under my big toe on that foot and I thought it was just sore from running slightly differnt to avoid the blister. But 2 weeks later and it is still just as sore. It was more an ache than pain so I tried a run this morning but its not happy now. It didn't feel any worse during the run but was sorer afterwards. No pb is worth not being able to run  image Feel bad moaning after all the injury problems you've had. Been logging the miles on the road bike but it just isn't the same!

• Options
    Lotte - have to say that sounds awfully similar to how mine started. I did a 16m run no problem then the next day was in agony on a 2m recovery run. Mine was more middle of the ball of the foot, then took a while to decide to settle in the 4th toe, which is where it has been ever since. Felt perfectly fine sitting, etc, but on weight bearing, impact and particularly flexing the toes as you describe, it was there instantly.

The good news is that from what I've read it is almost unheard of to get Morton's neuroma on the 1st or 5th joint. I could cope with discomfort in mine after initial rest but it would hurt more between runs. Then it went all screwy and extremely bad - which is when I had the extra 5 weeks off and just biked.

Since returning to it, I can feel it all the time, but it is getting less and less and doesn't affect my running. Probably just 1 or 2 out of 10 now, compared to 10 in the first couple of weeks where I could barely walk and was limping around.

Which leads me to... what is next? I have no idea until the I see the consultant again on the 28th. First steps are usually things like checking your shoes, especially that they are wide enough in the toe area, not wearing heels, blah, blah. I live in trainers so I don't think that was a factor.

What they will probably recommend is a steroid injection. I am really unsure about it as whilst I would love for it to disappear completely and finally feel normal again, I suspect that given another few weeks it might be almost there anyway. If it continues to improves, I'll likely just see what they have to say, but continue on.

For you, it could just be some inflammation of a nerve or tendon or something, although I would be quite unhappy that it felt the same after 2 weeks. Was that your first run since the marathon that you mentioned? I do hope it disappears as quickly as it appeared. I totally understand nothing is the same as running.

CC2 - good luck in your races.

I did my MP session on Saturday and it went quite well. Warm up to parkrun, first 3m during (I was very well behaved at not going faster, even when one of my rivals went past!), briefest of pauses to scan my barcode (thankfully barely a queue at that pace), then off again. The second 3 were harder but that's because it started to hailstone, it was already freezing and the wind had picked up. I headed off one way and then realised I'd have a headwind the whole way back and was already getting lashed in the face, so went a different way, but I survived image

Sunday was just over 15m. I'm really concentrating on slowing down my easy stuff, so it felt nice and comfortable at around 8.56. Lovely to finish feeling like you barely got started.

I almost blew off yesterday. My routine suffers greatly when the kids are home. I feel guilty for running - and desparately needed a lie in after months of early weekends due to parkrun / LSR combo - so put it off all day. Was finally resolving to ditch it and then thought I'd kill two birds with one stone just before bedtime. Katie has very recently learned to ride two wheels, so I let her come out for the first mile, which was nice and relaxing at 9.25, then took her back home and did my other 5. Was very happy that I did it once I had finished. I always try to remember that it is very rare that I regret going for a run, but almost always regret not doing so.

Today was another MP session. He's putting me through my paces now that I have a diagnosis - it isn't something I can further damage. 3m easy to steady / 7m MP / cd.

Bloody windy as it always is and wasn't quite sure I'd make it. Possibly some residual fatigue off the weekend, but after a quick stop at a busy road, I felt better. Got to 6m ok, which is the furthest I've done so fa
  • Options
    It appears that the new forum doesnt advise when the message is too long and just cuts off the text! At least on the ipad. Thank goodness for the Back button.

----------------------

Got to 6m ok, which is the furthest I've done so far and had to push for the 7th. Admittedly I was working harder than MP by now, but I was so close to finishing that I just sucked it up. Mile and a half cool down and by that point I felt pretty good about it.

11.44m, avg 7.48 for the full distance, I'm happy with that image

*MP as a training pace, not what I would expect to run a marathon in!!

Split Summary

====

1) - 1m - 8:56(8:56/m) - 92cal

2) - 1m - 8:43(8:43/m) - 93cal

3) - 1m - 7:48(7:48/m) - 96cal

4) - 1m - 7:20(7:20/m) - 95cal

5) - 1m - 7:19(7:19/m) - 96cal

6) - 1m - 7:20(7:20/m) - 95cal

7) - 1m - 7:20(7:20/m) - 95cal

8) - 1m - 7:19(7:19/m) - 95cal

9) - 1m - 7:18(7:18/m) - 95cal

10) - 1m - 7:16(7:16/m) - 95cal

11) - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 93cal

12) - 0.44m - 3:46(8:38/m) - 41cal

Rest of the week consists of :

Wed - 10m very easy

Thu - Rest

Fri - 6m easy w/ strides

Sat - usual wu and cd with parkrun in 21.30.

Sun - 15m LSR. Going to have to do that even earlier as the kids are doing a local fun run.
  • Options
    P.s that was 9.25 pace in the other post, not 9.25 pm, my kids are in bed at 7 for my sanity! I also got out of bath duty and got home just in time for bedtime kisses.

Worked out nicelyimage
  • Options
    Getting back into it nicely, Kelly. Youll soon be back to where you were
  • Options
    As much as I love running in the rain, I do like it when it rains ALL day on a rest day.
  • Options

I'm so happy when it rains just now as I am fed up with all the fair weather runners passing my door. Sure they all know I'm injured and just do it in spiteimage

Has the rest of the week gone to plan Kelly? any racing plans now provided there is no more trouble from your foot?

Still no running here, 3 weeks now. Feel like all that great winters training is slipping away and my ultra in July is under threat.

How did your races go CC2?

MrsD are you still around? What news?

• Options

5 miler was in the pouring rain but no wind. I managed to maintain roughly 10k PB pace (although that PB is rather soft) to finish 7th in 32.06, which is a PB only because my old one was really soft.

10 miler was in a howling gale but no rain. Managed to maintain something a little slower than HM pace to hold on for 2nd lady and County silver in 1.07.27 (another PB only because the previous one was soft) but it near killed me. My lungs did not appreciate the wind and my guts did not appreciate the dairy I've been eating. 

• Options
    Lotte - how is your foot now?

CC2 - pb's are pb's. Well done.

The rest of the week went fine. Easy run on Friday, parkrun (with distance either side) in 21.16 as opposed to 21.30, but didn't feel bad at all, then I canned Sunday. I knew I wouldn't be able to get up early enough. Kids had a great time at their run and then I had various visiting duties later on and couldn't drag myself out later.

As it turns out, I later found out that Monday was to be a rest day (for a recovery week), so I did my LSR on Monday. First 12 miles with slow company and that was a good thing. Really enjoyed it. Ended up doing 16m as that's how far it was to where I was going.

Due to the switch I proposed that last week became my recovery week as it was 43m or something and keep this week with usual mileage.

Yesterday was a toughy. Very windy indeed. Session was to be 3m easy to steady / 7m MP / cd. I knew on the steady section that it would be a struggle due to the wind. Was around 10s off pace for the first few MP miles in what seemed a constant headwind even though I completely changed direction at various points. Still, it averaged 7.48 for the full 11m, so no complaints image

Today was great. I usually hate a Wednesday. I suppose because it is my 6th day in a row, finishing on a decent length run and having the previous cumulative week in my legs. I kept it very easy and was surprised that the miles just ticked off. Over 37 miles in 3 days and not feeling tired but I will enjoy my rest day tomorrow.

I couldn't resist posting today's splits. I wasn't really looking at my watch, don't tend to on easy runs these days, but was amused when I saw the upload.

1) - 1m - 8:52(8:52/m) - 93cal

2) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 93cal

3) - 1m - 8:52(8:52/m) - 95cal

4) - 1m - 8:52(8:52/m) - 95cal

5) - 1m - 8:52(8:52/m) - 94cal

6) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 96cal

7) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 94cal

8) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 95cal

9) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 95cal

10) - 1m - 8:53(8:53/m) - 95cal

11) - 0.24m - 2:10(8:55/m) - 23cal
  • Options

Lol Kelly. Good to see you haven't lost your touch!

Well done CC2. I think that is pretty good going soon after a marathon.

The foot is hopefully on the mend. Fingers crossed. It had felt pretty good for a couple of days so chanced 3 miles yesterday. The first 0.5 mile it hurt, I stopped and stretched and rubbed the sore bit, then carried on but had decided to turn back for home and then it felt fine. So today I did 5 miles and was ok apart from a slight ache afterwards which I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't wasn't so paranoid. Won't run tomorrow to be cautious and then try again on Friday.

Legs didn't exactly feel sprightly mind but hooping that was due to the 30 windy bike miles yesterday and then 20 again this morning.

• Options
    Fingers crossed it is on the way out. Probably just one of those post marathon niggles. Hope yesterday went ok.

Only 4m for me yesterday. It was very strange to run so short, I don't think I've done less than 5 or 6 since I started back.

I did my long run this morning, out just before 8am, so 7 miles, parkrun, 5m home for a 15 miler. I swapped it from tomorrow as parkrun was just going to be an easy run and I'm always up on a Saturday anyway so figured I may as well just do it. I have to run early, I just can't mentally do long runs later in the day, so would have missed a lie in tomorrow if I'd kept it the other way - now I can sleep as I just have 6m to do image
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Kelly - Do you know anything about the Queen's Jubilee 10k at the weekend? I can't seem to find much about it and I'm just deciding whether its worth doing. Seems to be 2 laps of the parkrun course as far as I can tell.

• Options
    Knowing the organiser, I would say don't do it! Unless it was purely for fun.

It'll almost certainly be the same course as his Resolution Run, which is two laps of the moor, but going over both the grass hills and across the fields, as well as the gravelly bit.

Twice!

The only tarmac will be at the start for a few metres opposite the lake.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up kelly - sounds best to steer clear then!

• Options
    Still alive!

Life has been a bit crazy lately, but fortunately I'm still running.

Saw hospital consultant on Monday who confirmed I have two Morton's neuromas. They aren't giving me any issues at the moment and I was surprised to discover that they haven't gone as I thought they must have. Apparently they will always be there, unless it got to the point where I'd need to have them removed, it is just they have shifted into a non problem area. I very occasionally have a bit of numbness - just part of the nerve damage - but no discomfort or pain.

So, as of this week, I am in a base training phase. Heat and humidity kills me at this time of year, possibly also allergy related, and three years of history with my asthma show there will be nothing to be gained from pushing it. Aim is to build mileage and strength with mainly easy running and decent length single runs, I haven't done any doubles for a long time.

Strength focus saw a reintroduction to form hills. I've been totally sapped on even pathetic inclines so it is definitely something I need, although doesn't mean I have to like themimage. To keep me somewhat in touch with speed my other quality session is 5m steady (after usual warmup) with 16 short strides throughout.

Long run looks to be around 16m for now. I do keep hinting at wanting more, but that's my lot. My kids are staying out tonight so the delightful prospect of a lie in tomorrow saw me doing the LSR this morning, along with parkrun. My watch battery ran out at around 3 miles, so I'd only just started parkrun at this point. It was really weird running without knowing the pace. I suspect that I messed it up though (too fast!), based on finishing around other well known faces. No idea what time I did it in. I then had another 10.5m in the rain and probably took it extra easy since I wasn't being loggedimage

I'll be going AWOL again as we're off on holiday with the kids on Monday. Sun, sea and sand... can't wait!!
  • Options

Good to hear you are running and getting back into the swing of things. I dont think it will take you long to get back to where you were, a few painful sessions will see the times back where you like them. Must be a relief to get clarification on your foot as well? You are a masochist wanting more miles?? now wanting more chocolate or alcohol I can see your point but miles??image thats just crazy!! lol.

Marathon training has started again and I am not sure what to expect this time, I have a target in mind but will see how training goes and I think the weather is going to play a big part since it could be very hot ( start of Sept).