Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    SG, great to see you finally dip under 17, its been a long time coming. Nice to have it on the po10 as well. However, I am confident you've got a 5k a good bit quicker than that in you.

Johnas, wow, talk about dark horse. That equalled my PB. And I didn't follow it up with a bunch of intervals. Very impressive, looks like we'll have to keep a closer eye on you.

Dean, great race report. Took a little leaf out of mattl's book in going the wrong direction too. Great race win, and looks like a fantastic PB. Really hope the official time comes back as sub-33. 32:xx is my career aim, so it'll be great to see someone who has started so recently get there, gives me hope. You've got a couple of wins under your belt now, people will start to fear you!

Iron, sounds tough on the duathlon. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near dorney lake with the cold today.

Pc2, not to worry on the xc, hope there's nothing lasting.

17 for me this morning, pretty leisurely at 7:20ish pace.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta Dachs, just seen it's on the PO10 now. Good to wipe that dodgy summer 2010 17.10 from the record books, I didn't want to be one of those old runners who quotes a pb that they know deep down was slightly dubious image

Got a 10k in 3 weeks, well, with yourself (!), and then it's 5k specific, and like you say there should be more to come off that time with better pacing...to summarise from the M man, "nice pb, horrible pacing" image

And although it's easy to hype up others over yourself (although some manage to do that too!), 32:59 at least should be doable for you if you keep it going for a couple of years. Just step by step really, and logging a 33.59 is up first.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ta Dachs, just seen it's on the PO10 now. Good to wipe that dodgy summer 2010 17.10 from the record books, I didn't want to be one of those old runners who quotes a pb that they know deep down was slightly dubious image

Got a 10k in 3 weeks, well, with yourself (!), and then it's 5k specific, and like you say there should be more to come off that time with better pacing...to summarise from the M man, "nice pb, horrible pacing" image

An official PO10 5k PB image.

My view is that mile pacing is too coarse for 5kms, hence my move to km pacing. It hasn't taken long to transition the mind-set over and I can normally guess at an equivalent mile pace (unless I'm pushing it hard - I'd struggle to remember my name!). Worth considering?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - 5K is the most difficult distance to pace, I find.  I have got it badly wrong many times.  16:33 is my fastest, but then it's 17:07, 17:23 and 2x 17:29.  I wasn't in the best form for some of those, but in all cases sub 17 should have been on the cards.

Yep, hopefully sub 33 isn't unrealistic.  Might take a year or two to eke it out though. Sub-34 is the limit of my aims for this year.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, to be fair, the other 26 road 5ks I've done I've gone off km splits. However, with no km markers on saturday, and a 3 lapper, I thought I'd go the miles, and not check the watch as I went.

Dachs, very true, 5k is a fast pace anyway, and if you go too hard at that distance ar the start of the race you get what I got, gradually slowing from mile to mile.  5.14 was a bit too fast if it was even paced, but when that features a heavily faster first half mile, you're in a world of pain!
    Lesson learnt for next time!

The beauty of multi distance racing Dachs, is that you can say go sub 34 first, and then leave that distance for a bit and chisel some other pbs down first. And then when you come back to 10k you'll ideally have another chunk to burn off

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Dean - cracking race report and result. I hope the official time is favourable as it would be mighty unfair bearing in mind the detour!

PC – still doing XC in Spring! Good effort! I’m pretty sure Xc is running later and later every year. Will you be concentrating on 3K – 5k on track or road? The XC would definitely of helped with your strength over winter

Iron – well done on the Duathalon. I’ve been following Alan Murchinson’s transition to Duathalon with interest as i am in awe that he can balance a near ‘pro’ status sporting life with such a demanding job. His blog on realbuzz is always insightful and interesting.

Good solid long runs from Dachs & SS and thanks for the kind words. I haven’t ‘raced’ since Nov last year and that’s the point of these parkruns in my schedule – to see exactly where I am fitness and speed wise so it’s great to see I’m on target for my marathon target and that I do have speed in the legs. I just hope to keep fit for the remaining few weeks before the taper for VLM starts. I’ve got some seriously tough tempo and MP long runs coming up that will really test my mettle!

Target was for me to run for 2h45m yesterday but to cap it at 22 miles if i reached that first. Reached it in 2:42 so averaged at 7:23 pace. Legs could feel the 5k and post parkrun tempo intervals at around 18 miles so a case of dig deep to maintain pace – all good mental training for VLM.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps - on a faster course with much faster types ahead of me (like telford or trafford) im sure i could have come in with clear air below 33 rather than the wait to see if i scrapped it!  & Not that i care about rankings etc image...but it looks like i will be 4th in the v40. (of course its very early in the yr so i will slide)    I have to back it up at wilmslow hm in 3 weeks now.image

went for a 5m recovery and no niggles.  Was working out different stats from yesterday and i ran the final mile in 5.04, mostly on an uphill gradient and if you take the fastest 5 splits i did a 16.09 5k at some point. So hopefully a tilt at my 5k PB in May should be possible. 

SS - had a look at great manchester run and at £39 for a 10k i will pass...but plan to go for leeds abbey dash in november.

Ric - agree regards the taper...i seem taper more than anyone at my club.  I like the extra rest although many will get lethargic with the reduced pace/mileage.

• SG, seen it on po10 as well: you need a plan for a 5 miler and I guess you have a few autumn 10 milers lined up then it will be a clean sweep for 2013.

5 easy today to shake the hills out of the legs form 14 with bus yesterday. Nice route but 5 road crossings mean 5 valleys and that is 5 downhills followed by 5 uphills and I weighed myslef yesterday and I am a 9 lbs over training weight and about a stone over racing weight so that may be the biggest impact from the time off.

Today was my 10th day running in a row, starting to feel tired legs but it is the good tiredness that comes form being able to train.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Was that the pre or post run weight Philip  image

Day off today. Combination of a lunchtime meeting and the back still giving me trouble. Shame, as its a lovely day out there!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, will see if the 10k can be shaved a little first, but then will work on getting that 5k down, which has to be the best long term bet to get the lot down...

Bus doing 8x200s tomorrow if you fancy joining. It's preceded by 3.5miles warmup, and a mile or so cooldown. Have the day off. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Tapering and hitting a peak for races.

A favourite subject of mine.

More than one runner has had the experience of training their socks off for long periods without making any progress, only to discover a sudden improvement weeks or months later when doing hardly any training at all.

Best example, Julian Goater. Trained over 100 miles per week for ages. Then, circumstances meant that for several months he could only do half as much.

Ran the National XC off what was for him just the bare minimum to retain some sort of fitness. 

Result. The biggest winning margin in the history of the event. Could probably have broken the 10000m world record that day.

I believe that maximal training can have some effects even as much as a year later. 

Actually I don't believe that. I know that.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hopefully then my quality training in Spring last year will help me at the Maidenhead Easter 10 in April image (something has too!)

SG - what time are you doing those tomorrow? I've kind of got a plan to hit the track at lunchtime after a late morning meeting in Cressex. I'd be up there about 12 - 12.30 ish if that's any use? 200s might be a bit sharp for me, but we could have a chat on the recoveries image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we could work it out if you were around for the 3.5mile warm up?do you plan on a warm up?  I tend to park at the track, then run off towards cressex for a round route.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That'd work. Shall I text you when I'm on the way to Handy X? How flexible is your lunch break timing as I suspect my meeting might be fairly quick?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you missed the day off part of tomorrow image

Yeah, text me around 12....i'll get up at 9 to fuel up, and be ready to start at say 12.15 on?

Nice 3.5mile warm up, then we can do our separate sessions, and share a 1mile cool down or something.

what session you got planned?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ah - thought you were telling me to have a day off - from running!

I'll text you as soon as I finish the meeeting, whihc should be around then.

As for the session - not sure. 3.5M warm up, 1M warm down and something in between! Most likely 6x800s or 4x1200, but I'll have to take a view depending on how the back is. 4.4M easy tonight has made it flare up again, so I'm beginning to think a few days off might become inevitable ...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I  try not to tell anyone to do anything these days, certainly not people of decent pace.

8x200 is quite a nice session. Sounds lightish, but when you're wheezing after a rep you realise it's juuuust right!

Wed would have been a better day for you to join me, as I'm off then too, for a 10miler, but I'lltake what's on offer!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I quite fancy 200s (never done them), but I think the pace would just set my back off too much..

Wed would be better, but I need to be in Aylesbury unfortunately image

• Still debating what session to do tomorrow. Might just go down and ask the coach and do what he says. Some 200s would be nice though! How have you never done any Bus?! They are great fun. Won't be a big one volume wise anyway. Did 6 easy today and my legs felt grim so hopefully they'll wake up. I think it's that 'taper' mentality of "I've done the hard work" but you still have to run 6 miles, they won't run themselves!

Dean, I can only shudder at what you could run at Leeds if you were let loose on that course! Hopefully a few can make it a thread smack down.  

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Eh, simple, but stupid - don't have an 1/8th mile setting on the GPS and don't know where the 200m start line is on the track image. SG can show me tomorrow!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, what is Trafford like? Any surprises or is it pancake flat. I've also entered Salford and will enter Leeds also.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, the 200 line is simple. It's the 100m and 300m that isn't always obvious at full pace image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I can't imagine Bus doing anything other than 800s/0.5miles.

Set myself a right little beast of a session tonight.  11 miles, split as follows:  2m warm up, 4m marathon pace, 3m half marathon pace, 1m 10K pace, 1m warm down. Marathon pace averaged 6:13, half marathon pace averaged 5:43, and the final mile was 5:38.  Think I was a little ambitious with that last one - I have to admit to having a breather for a few seconds before commencing it, as, rather than just pulling out another mile at a similar pace, I did want to finish on a fast one.  Obviously it's still a bit off 10K pace, but hardly surprising after 7 miles at a decent pace, and that mile also includes some sharp turns and a couple of hundred metres in almost pitch black, so you do have to tread carefully in places.  Overall, really pleased with the pace and a real confidence builder.  Wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon though...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great session there Sachs!

I think id be contacting the po10 Dean. They've credited you with a 61 min 10k and 328th place.

well done to David Richardson though on his 32.59.image
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    @dachs. Predictive text. Ha
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hey what do you mean! I did 1k reps only the week before last, and a pyramid session back in November image. Good session Dachs

Nice one David/Dean - 32:59, spot on!

SG - problme with today's session I'm afraid - will PM you.

• Tonight's club session is a 20 minute TT, 2 mins rest, then 20 min TT back to the start point. Yesterday was DOMS City, population: me. Swam last night to loosen things up so I may do a light bike tonight and hit the track tomorrow instead.

Supposed to be racing Sunday but CBA. Also racing Marlow Du on the 17th but may have to fly to the US that day, which may make me do Sunday's race.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What's the Marlow Duathlon like IC? I've been tempted to do it in the past.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just back from a very nice 8.3M xc in the sunshine (back pain aside!) - lots of sun through misty woods - very atmospheric!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Yesterday was DOMS City, population: me.

erm, not just you Iron in DOMS City. 4 mile recovery run for me last night on a flat route in 8.34 average! ouch...

Well done Dean! Cracking result and well deserved.