Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Back into double figures Johnas - that's a good step!

You need a rest Nikki - hip problems can be a real pain to resolve.

Right palaver for me at lunchtime! Intended a long ish interval session, but somehow lost one of my locker keys, and by the time I'd spent 20 minutes (unsuccessfully!) looking for it, time was dwindling. Ended up with 5.4M including 4 x 0.5M off 60 secs. Aim was 2:50, and averaged that, but had to work hard on the last rep to make up for lack of concentration on the third one! 2:50, 2:51, 2:53, 2:46

• The Bus wrote (see)

You need a rest Nikki - hip problems can be a real pain to resolve.

Pot, kettle... how 'easy' did you run, Nikki? image

• Good session Bus I hate it when something like that upsets prep!!

Dean  - Have you noticed Christleton 5k has been put back a week? great news for me as I can now do the BMAF relays and Christleton image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, good work on at least salvaging something out of it.  However, is there any particular reason it's always 0.5 mile reps? I know you like them, but any reason beyond that?  I just think mixing it up more will help you move your times forward - 400s, 1000s, miles, 2000s, anything really

Nikki - nice work on reporting an easy run!

Tempo session at lunchtime today.  5m easy, 10K tempo, 1m easy for 12 in total.  I feel a bit like Samir Haddad reporting this session, cos the 10K came out as 34:23 for 5:32 average!  Same course I always run my 10K tempos on (plus it's the local 10K race course, so certified), but a minute quicker!  Can't regard it as a proper continuous tempo, as I had to have a couple of significant waits to cross junctions, so maybe a couple of seconds per mile faster than a continuous run, but at worst it's the equivalent of 3 x 2m off shortish recoveries on the road.

Felt pretty hard to start off with, as I overcompensated after my 6:00 first mile in last week's tempo.  5:32, 5:39, 5:34, 5:31, 5:28, 5:32, so got into the groove after a couple of miles and it started to feel smoother.

Seems like last year's marathon training plus a winter of plugging away at XCs and parkruns has suddenly come together and boosted my fitness.  Gives me something to mull over in terms of targets at Wokingham as well, as a 10K tempo is usually a pretty good indicator of half marathon pace for me.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

fantastic tempo Dachs. huge confidence boost for sure and sure does seem your post marathon/winter plan has worked out a treat.

despite the palaver (love that word) nice sesh Bus. All nicely consistent. Like Dachs says though, maybe mix it up a bit. Sessions I've done in lead up to HMs or 10ks is 2 - 3 x 5 x 400s or alternatively, 8x 1000m @ 10k pace (90) + 5x 200m fast (30)

• Dachs impressive as always image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, what on earth is wrong with you, a 34.20ish 10k in training? Cripes.

You're either obliterating yourself in training or are spoiling for a mid 32 10k? Hopefully the 2nd?

Bus, you do those half miles for time efficiency mostly don't you?

But like the chaps say, mixing it up is imperitave. If those are 10k pace, you're only covering 2miles distance, and all split with recoveries. Maybe it'd need to be faster for that quantity, or longer reps if 10k pace?

ps TR, switch your message me bit on, got a question for you.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - a one-off reasonably hard 10K tempo is a key session for me a couple of weeks before a half.  Seems to work as a final session, plus as a confidence builder and target pace indicator.  I won't be doing any more like that, so I think it's OK - would it have been any worse in terms of obliterating myself than racing the XC on Sunday, which might have been my intention otherwise?

Anyway, in answer to your question, I probably ran it on the hard side, plus the paces have suddenly leaped, so a bit of both.  I certainly don't have the raw speed for a mid 32 10K, but since I've no fast 10Ks on the horizon that doesn't matter too much.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You obviously just have a greater ability to hit a harder effort in training than a lot of us, even as a relative percentage. Which isn't a bad thing!

Certainly great for the mental side of things, rather than thinking you're pony the whole time image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - probably, but I'd swap my good training paces for Dean's good race paces...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Great session that Dachs! Most impressive!

Yep, the 0.5M are my favourite as they work out well for squeezing in at lunch time as SG says (crucial today!), but also the distance works well on the stretch of road I can do them on without any junctions /traffic etc. To be fair though, I have listened and been mixing it up as my most recent speed sessions have been 3x2M, 5x1k, 4x1M and a couple of progression runs, so the last of the 0.5M "bus" was back in early December.

Lit - what are you saying? I always take a day or two off every week image

• Dachs, sessions like that make me dislike you! image BIG session!

Bus, key loss is a mare! My key popped out my pocket last week hit the floor, I jogged back to get it and it was balancing on the road grid! A CM from key down the grid. But a happy ending with the key found and a mini bus session.

Rob, Christleton doesn't clash with the GMR either. The Cheshire T and F champs is the day before the GMR though, so will miss my yearly battle against 1 other person for the Cheshire crown. Might have to enter quick as it's a Cheshire GP race.

I also emailed the Wilmslow Half race director, who is a very good vet runner himself, and he gave me a cheeky entry to the race! Win!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Stevie..you've learnt well from Samir on race bootlegger. I failed monumentally to get into the Eastleigh 10k past closing time once. Seems they weren't impressed by my sub 40 stature of the time image

And let's not even talk keys. Losing that key last year, wasting about 20hours looking for it, having to pay £110 or so nicker to replace it, not to mention not concentrating driving when I was thinking about the key and causing £180 damage to the car too.

Not a fun week that wasn't!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Doh - I thought we'd got away with it ! My fault for mentioning the key saga image

Good work on the Wilmslow entry Stevie!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd just typed an even worse key story out, but then realised I best not, as loads of lurkers read this....

so it's been self vetoed!

• House key fell out during CD some weeks back. Luckily heard it hit the ground. It'd worn a hole in my shorts' pocket. 

Good session Dachs,  good buses Bus. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Iron. Well done on the self vetoing SG image

• Dachs, not that I don't find that session breathtakingly impressive, but it sounds a bit like the Haddad school of training. I imagine you will be repeating it every day this week before moving on to 12k as fast as you can next week?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice session Dachs. Reaping the marathon training benefits now.

My 3 x 10 mins at 10k goal pace with 2.5 mins rec on the treadmill usually come out at around a 34.30 10k. As SG had just mentioned smashing yourself in training i checked my training log and out I did the session last monday so maybe its no wonder I felt so leggy in Sundays race. 

I really don't know how you do a session at lunch time. Nice work Bus. 

went to the gym for tonight's run as I wanted to do some core work as well. Hamstrings had been tight over the last two days but still plodded out some doubles. Plenty of stretching seems to have sorted them out and did 10mile @ 6.30 pace. Will be at the track tomorrow. 

Hoping to do christleton myself  this year. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit, it isn't from the Samir Haddad school of training unless (a) I've measured it off MapMyRun, (b) I do them on loads of consecutive days, and (c) I run it at a faster pace than I can actually produce in a race.  In this case it's still a fair bit slower than my race times, so I haven't quite Haddaded it.

• How disappointing. I hope you at least wore your ITALIA jacket.

• I wouldn't have taken offence Stevie image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very nice run with Philip at lunchtime today. The torrential rain cleared and the sun came out just in time! Surprisingly pacey given the amount of chatting going on! So, 10.6M done with about 600 ft of climbing for good measure at average 7:18 . Groin was a bit sore in the last couple of miles, but nowhere near as bad as last week on the same route done at a slower pace, so I'll take that as progress! I was pretty tired at the end, but Philip looked full of running!

Must do more runs with others - always seems easier, but (with the right partner!) pace is higher, so a win-win! 

• As bus says, nice lunchtime run with good sunshine to straighten out the jet lag. bus did nothing to dispel the country gent rumours when he sent me home with a doggy bag of pigeon breast in sweet and sour sauce.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Phil, I'm pretty sure a country gent would pair pigeon breast with some berry sauce or maybe red onion marmalade, unless he was sticking with a dull old red wine reduction.  Bus must be new money if he's going sweet & sour.

• It's fusion food. As my Chinese aunt told me when describing a stir-fry (Chinese) with condensed milk (Western) in it. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Awaiting what tomorrow morning's quality session will be.

Hopefully not really long reps of really hard paces!

Although I'll be slightly better prepared this week than last!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Didn't you know, we're new Chinese money at Chez bus image. Watch out for the shot Philip...

M not told you what you are doing tomorrow morning yet SG? How can you psyche yourself up for it?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sometimes he gives Monday to Thursday and then updates the rest Thur evening. Probably just to check I'm not wrecked image

Back in the day it was 2 weeks schedule up front.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Back on the track tonight. I wasnt overly excited about a solo 10x 800 session off 1 min recoveries. Thats after this mornings 4 miler. My new watch means I can set the recoveries so they're bang on which is a bonus. 

Instead of trying to smash myself round n 2.25s which is prob ok for 5 or 6 reps it was aimed at goal 10k pace which is prob 5.10 pace or a squeak under. Target was 2.35s. 

2.32- 2.34- 2.33- 2.31- 2.34- 2.32- 2.32- 2.33- 2.35- 2.31. 

Pleased with how they came out and felt much more controlled. The track started to get really slippy due to the cold and i nearly canned the session after 7 or 8 reps. I pressed the wrong button after the first one and paused the session instead the hitting the lap button So showed up as 2.38. Got myself 6 seconds extra recovery. image  

A shade under 14 miles for the day and on course for a mid 70 mile week. Ill do another session on Monday and  just easy running the rest of the days before Alsager. 

Is anybody on Garmin connect? I'm on as Mattlalor if anyone fancys a nosy.