Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Hey people, some quality training going on!  2:36 Harry, getting seriously quick! Thats Abingdon right? I thought i was doing well with sub 3 in mind, is the marathon your main goal in the next few years?  Whens your first one SG image

So Wycombe half next Sunday SG, are you definitely doing it or the 10k?

Hospital tomorrow, having all the stitches out, then got too try and keep a new cast from being put on! Im going totally crazy sat on my arse image

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Stevie G - having done 10 x 400M tonight I can now say my 76s talk was infact complete rubbish! I did all my reps at 79 to 80s with a 74 to finish! Ha ha... 76! I wish! image
  • Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)
    14miles in 1hr 43...last hard/long run before the 3 races...easy all the way til then image
    Crikey! Thats a good shift for a training run!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mee Meep...Harry has definitely set the bench mark for the quality on this thread! 2h36 will be a monumental achievement...no pressure though image

No time soon to me doing  a marathon I'm afraid...gonna do the Wycombe half on the 18th..will be my 6th Wycombe, first since 2006 and 16th half! Ran the course on sunday and tonight, not that I didn't know every single cm of it anyway!

Hope tomorrow goes without glitches and the next stage goes well. I think the main positive is it's running you're looking to get back into, not football or something, as that would be another month or 2 on top! Hope it speeds by, can you do upper body weights at least, until swimming or gentle cycling are doable again?

Stevie C, that sounds a better paced session. The fact you ended with a monster rep shows that image.

That 1hr 43 is pretty much the top end of my easy range. I'm meant to do easy paced runs 7:24 to 7:55 so in theory I could have done it 30secs a mile slower, but felt comfortable at this pace. Did get through a whole bottle of Lucozade Light, as it was so hot though!

an easy 4 and 6 tomorrow, with an easy 4 and 7 saturday, then a day off image

Then the fun of 3 races in 8 days begins next week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    4m easy at lunch...despite it being a team drinks for a guy's birthday....got out of it.....just!
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Good prioritisation!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

didn't go down well..but i applied the moraghan rule of "what will make me go faster" and thereofre decided to bin the drinks!

6miles evening run..good weather...is real payback for the winter runs in the snow wearing 4 layers and only being able to trudge at a pointless 8-9min pace

• I'm loving the peer pressure going on. Well I'll try and do you proud boys in the mara!

Mee meep: Not Abingdon, unfortunately exam schedule makes it difficult for me to do, I might enter as it forms part of the berkshire road running championship, but its not the main one. Wolverhampton is my key race, not the best race or the most runners but exam timing is perfect so this is it. Add to Leciester and Luton as the glamour marathon I've completed. FYI, anything sub 3 is still fantastic running!!!

S See: good going on those 400s, sounds pretty miserable in this heat.

SG: Social/work commitments are the hardest especially when you want to be out training. Luckily quite a few at my place go out running at lunch, including the big boss, which is a big plus.

A nice hour run for me tonight. Ready for a dehydrating 20miler tomorrow. Whats everyone else up too?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

20miles on this heat, will be a monster! But if anyone can tame it it's you Harry. I take it that the Wolves race is a good flat course to attempt your big time on  though?  And both of you sub 3 hours is a big hit! I could only envisage ever doing a marathon if I could get the half marathon down super low.

I remember 2006 as being a summer where every race I did seemed to be incredibly hot. Looking back it's very hard to tell if it was actually hotter than the following years or if i was just in way less fit shape!

Anyway...tomorrow for me..is a 7miler with 10x100 progressive, and then a little 4miler into the bargain somewhere as well.

Then sunday is a magical day off meaning I can break my non social behaviour and actually do something the sat evening. No drinking though...I'm  boring like that!  image

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Apparently no running for 8 weeks. Stitches out but another cast has been put on, do have some sort of wierd shoe thing now though that sort of lets me walk to an extent, so the bike has been prepared ready for early doors tomorrow. Just have to see what happens when physios get involved.

Good luck on your 20 tomorrow Harry, that was the last run i did! Getting up early to avoid the heat?

I expect i will see you Tuesday SG when you shave another few seconds off!

• Not up early enough to avoid the heat Breakfast still digesting...image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

20miles on a saturday! I'm lounging around now at midday, casually considering getting out for a 7.

Not sure about the pbs Mee Meep, that Wycombe 5k has a habit of draining the life out of people with the 2 long laps all on grass, and slight undulation onto the path round the back. Datchet is a bit similar too and they always seem to over measure it too. Also haven't done a 5k 2days after a half marathon for 4 years, so that'll be interesting!

8 weeks...that'll fly by honestly, especially with the footy season starting soon, then you'll have a renewed enthusiasm to get back into it.

Next week's schedule for me, turn 29 on Monday...so I best get cracking on those pbs!

M    5m easy

T   am 3m easy,   pm Wycombe 5k  7miles ( 2.5m easy, strides, 5k race, 1m cool down)

W 4m recovery

T  6m easy

F  OFF

S  5m easy with strides

S  15m Wycombe Half   (warm up , race, cool down)

Bit of a reduced mileage week to account for the 2 races, then the week after that is a mere 18miles. 5k race on Tuesday 20th and that signals the end of this period of training. Will have a few days off, a footy tournament on the Saturday (24th) and then ideally come back refereshed for a build up to  September 10k. To be chosen if anyone knows any very fast 10k races that month?

• Only managed 19.6 miles this mroning, running a good pace for about 15 until the heat sapped me. All good fun though...legs are battered. Been for a nice walk this afternoon with in-laws, legs feel a bit better.

Easy hour tomorrow with some strides thrown in. Next week is less intensive but I still have some decent mileage to achieve. Hopefully i will feel a little recovered from this hard week.

Mee meep, you did miss much fun today!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

those 0.4miles might be the difference Harry! For shame!. Just kidding...15-16 is a tough one for me, so 19 is beyond tough!  Shows me what is required to get my "average" 1hr 19 (words of some troll on another thread) down to a decent time   image.

Turn 29 today, so best get crackin on these pbs! 5mile easy tonight. Looking forward to this coming week. a 5k race tomorrow and a half marathon sunday. Neither are pb jobs, but will be some good racing fun.

• Happy Birthday SG. Think you will have a bumper year of PBs!!! And you might be suprised to start this week...we need to optiminstic here.

20 miles is a nice benchmark to achieve but I had already done 4 laps of a circuit (which included two loops), I was dehydrated, and mentally I was pleased just to go out for the 4th circuit was an acheievement. But hey not all sessions go to plan!!!

Not sure I agree with "average" half marathon time...
  • mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Happy birthday SG!  Had/Having a good one?

Your average 1:19 would put you in the top 5% of just about every half marathon! You must have upset someone lol.

I bet you will not be far off tomorrow, as long as they have cut the grass! The ground is dry and last year it was wet through, almost pancake flat and speeds up in the last couple of hundred meters. 17:07 image

• So we are making predictions now...well on the basis of SG chirps...I'm cautious to predict a PB, but I'm a blind optimist...17m09!!! Best of luck!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta fellas, and yes I think it was a troll with a grudge, as not only was 1hr 19 average, but 10mins off my half time in 5 years was "shockingly bad" and as I'd been running so many years but still hadn't done a simple 1hr 15 I was utterly talentless and average. You have to image

Worked today, but birthday was still ok. Thought I'd lined up a date for this evening but she pulled out "tired". She must have read about my failing running career on here and got worried!

I'd like something in the ball park between the pb and the times at the other ones this series, if only to prove to myself nothing was untoward at the Maidenhead 5k!  However, I remember from last year this one and the one after are the slowest courses (Datchet normally cos they over measure it by 100metres!) . However, even if it was all downhill I wouldn't predict a pb! image

Will try not to start stupidly as always, and will try and let someone slightly quicker draw me along!

Will see you tomorrow Mee Meep no doubt.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭
    She probably pulled out as she knew you hadn't been carb loading specifically for the date! image
  • mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭
    How did it go SG?  The OH didnt fancy it so i was stuck watching Big Brother! Did you beat my club mate this time?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I always tend to beat your club mate at Wargrave and Burnham, it's close at Maidenhead and then lose at Wycombe and Datchet!

Going the same way this year....17:36 tonight. It fits into the "that'll do" category to be fair. 7th out of 200-250, probably could have obliterated myself to get 5th...but was fine with how it went.

Living 100metres from the course never helps, and I think it's a bit deceptively slow...still...21 seconds quicker than last year.

splits

3:20, 330, 3:35, 3:43 and 3:29 (again these are rounded up...hence adding to 17:37!)

The classic fast start followed by gently dribbling down the gears before bringing it back a bit at the end!

80% on grass never helps, 2 laps certainly doesn't help...and eating nuts at lunchtime didn't help either.

Seriously though, this little 3 some of races weren't going to be pbs, but good fun tonight.Ideal weather to be fair.

Looking forward to the wycombe half this weekend.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Another strong run SG! Will you be doing a mini taper towards the half on Sunday or just carry on as per usual?

Nearly four weeks without a run now, been using the bike but its so hard to keep your heart rate up, all well and good riding up into the Chilterns but when you come back down it drops so quick. I always said ''those that cant run, ride'' (cyclists never like that one) but it is a hell of alot easier. Might go over to the Triathlon forum and say that, should get a nice pleasant response! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

this week is a reduced 44mile week...only 1 run today, tomorrow and saturday, so pretty much tapering yeah. Next week is going to be a killer though...only 18miles...a few days off after the Datchet 5k..

Keep the faith mate...these days on the lesser sport of cycling, will mean the next time you're back fit and it's horrific weather and you have to do a 15miler you'll remember these days and get straight out without a thought. You'll probably be surprised how little fitness you lose by keeping up the cycling.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

results are out for tue...17:37 in the end not 17:36 image.

Not exactly the infamous Wokingham half marathon this year's screw up that cost me 7-14secs...so i'll allow it!

• No worries about the 5km SG...you seem pretty relaxed about it. so after this set of races, you having an easy week or two to get ready to start training for a serious effort at a 10km?

mee meep: I was doing a lot of triathlons last summer and found with very little running training (around 20-30miles a week) I was getting some very good performances...I'm not sure if there is a science behind it, but I'm pretty sure the large amount (7-9 hours) cycling I was doing per week was making a real positive, hope this puts a positive spin on your situation image

Struggling this week with the running, good volume but fairly low quality sessions...hopefully be recovered nicely for next week (my toughest running week ever)

Best of luck at weekend

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

HJ, yep it was a personal bogey course and I find that the first 3 of the 5 5ks in my series always give the better results. Therefore, we're taking the old "better than last year" as the success!

Taper week this week..44mile job, I'm certainly gagging to get stuck into sunday now!

Next week will have a  couple of days off after Tuesday's 5k, then a football tournament on the sat. All going well, and I'll be aiming to step up a good couple of months programme toa  strong September 10k. My 36:44 is a bit fat anyway..so hopefully it can be demolished! If you fancy joining me for a flat 10k let me know. Think there's a Dorney Lake...but i'll take a proper look soon.

Good luck with the tough week. I'm guessing when someone of your pace says it's tough it sure will be.

Mee Meep...keep the updates rolling...that way time will fly by, and if ever you have a slight motivational weak spot when you're back, you can re-read this thread!

• The week I'm running isn't particularly difficult, its just I'm still pretty fatigued from last week and have been in Brighton on a conference, in Bristol two days and also at home. So a bit here there and everywhere making it difficult to fit the training in. I've been doing the sessions when I don't particularly want to do them, i.e. in the morning. Only one hard sesson this week which went very well, however the rest has just seen me trotting around, loving the 8 min mile pace!!!! image

I think you will have sub 36 quite comfortable, maybe low 36, with a proper block of training with no/low racing and a good taper. You can't really tell what time you can be aiming for until around taper time, but what sort of time do you think you might be going for?

Running Free 10km is 26th September at Dorney. I could be tempted, might be a bit close to my exams so will decide closer if you go for that one. No wind and that is a very quick course!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Take it you meant low 35? Well let's not get carried away image.

I would say a 36:15 or so should be in the mixer now on  the right flat road course. That should be a fair guess based on the slowest of my recent 5ks on grass being 17:37. Double that gives 35:14 and add a min..about right? Also, the last 10k a few months back may well have reached that low if the last k hadn't been so pebbly and windy! A guy I race in the 5k series and have a 2-2 record against has done a mid 35 10k so that also gives me an idea.

To duck into the 35somethings even if it's a few seconds under would be lovely for September!

Good luck with fitting the training around work...I forget I have the luxury of very few responsibilities both in life and work at the moment. Does scare me for future life If i ever grow up though!

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Just reading this thread keeps me motivated enough at the moment SG!

HJ, i hear what you are saying about the bike, clocking up a lot of miles this week on it, just so hard to keep the heart rate up. though i may have found the solution to that, Spin classes! I dont think i have ever sweated so much in 45 minutes as i did in that. Going to be a geek and wear a heart rate monitor next time as the percieved effort level felt alot harder that tempo pace and nearer to spewing up level image

A really good quick 10k run is the Andy Reading 10k in Bicester. Pretty flat, slightly downhill last mile. Usually in mid December. Dorney Lake is quick but i have done a couple there that have been majorly over distance, 6.39m and 6.55m! Though that was the f3 events people.

• Work can be a pain...but keeps things structured (well usually!)

Sorry yeah low 35. I've not run enough 5ks to comment, but lets say you really are running 17m flat atm on a fast course you will definately be in with a shout of low 35 right???

2h30 tomorrow morning...looks like rain, very happy, no dehydration tomorrow!!!

Let me know when decide on which 10km you go for?